What Golf Ball Do You Use?

kenny999

Isn't it amazing. I post a FACT that the type of balls used in foursomes are not a consideration. That is from the captains of both Fred Couples for the US team and Greg Norman for the International team.

No, you posted an opinion. Greg Normans and Fred Couples opinions. Second hand opinion. In case you wonder, I heard it from Greg first hand. I was there. Get it? I have posted a whole range of articles where interviews with players and captains describe how important this is. I take it you didn't read any of them? You should, especially the Golf Digest one, that one is class!

Oh sorry, Couples and Norman have lied, you said so.

Try read my post again before making false/incorrect accusations.

What I DID was that I actually EMPHASIZED on the fact that Greg Norman had that opinion and that if that's his opinion I accept that. I also pointed out that Tiger Woods is of the same opinion.

"If Greg Norman says it's ok with him and his players I'm sure that's fine. Tiger Woods have expressed the same thing in these occasions. As you mention your fellow Australians I can inform you that Goeff Ogilvy was one of the players who couldn't cope with a Nike rather than a Titleist and for this reason the pair decided to play the Titleist. I was at the press conference myself when this matter was debated."

From a more analytical perspective, try figure out the chances of either captains attending a press conference the evening before the Cup begins and admit there is a problem..? Greg Norman says "No problem", but one of his players describes he DOES have a problem. Amazing. One more thing, there have been a couple of Cups where the players accidentally play the same ball, then this problem of course doesn't exist.

If you can post a comment made from either captains stating it is the most important then people may listen to you but until then your statement is only your opinion and when it comes up in contradiction to what has been said then I'm afraid your opinion is worth jack shit.

First of all, I have never said it's the most important thing. what I said was that it is ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS. Judging by the number of discussions and questions on press conferences AND statements from players themselves I'd say this seems to be rather important, and it is. I have posted references to articles where quotes from world class players and even legends touching on this topic confirms this as a very important factor. You probably don't understand the format of play or the simple mechanics behind WHY it is important. VERY important if you ask me. I cant believe you dont understand this, and you claim you are a Pro..?? Or you DO, but decide to act like a schmuck. Tragic.

You really dont know anything about this, do you?

Oh mate you are one sad individual, yet again you have had to use name calling because you are finding it impossible to make any one believe you, grow up get a life and become a nice decent person!!

I am going to now be a child like you, if you use profanities again you will be reported to the moderator as I and others are just a little bit tired of it lol

Edited by kenny999

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh mate you are one sad individual, yet again you have had to use name calling because you are finding it impossible to make any one believe you, grow up get a life and become a nice decent person!!

I am going to now be a child like you, if you use profanities again you will be reported to the moderator as I and others are just a little bit tired of it lol

Wouldn't it be better if your posts actually touched on the topic (Golf Balls)? I'm looking forward to that.

Wouldn't it be better if your posts actually touched on the topic (Golf Balls)? I'm looking forward to that.

Well done forethat a comment without abuse, yes I started this thread about balls, sorry I know nothing about the technical side of balls my op was purely to ask what ball you use, I use the Titleist NXT tour at the moment a good ball, I can not see much difference between this ball and the Dunlop power or Top flight, my game is not advanced enough to notice the huge difference which undoubtedly exists. the other day I hit the Dunlop power further than the Titleist so a ball is a ball to a player of my standard, I enjoy golf and buy what I can afford..

Look at the op title, which is, what golf ball do you use, I never asked for the vast amount of technical posts which went way over my head, since the thread started I have just played along and stuck up for others..

Edited by kenny999

So then we'

Well done forethat a comment without abuse, yes I started this thread about balls, sorry I know nothing about the technical side of balls my op was purely to ask what ball you use, I use the Titleist NXT tour at the moment a good ball, I can not see much difference between this ball and the Dunlop power or Top flight, my game is not advanced enough to notice the huge difference which undoubtedly exists. the other day I hit the Dunlop power further than the Titleist so a ball is a ball to a player of my standard, I enjoy golf and buy what I can afford..

Look at the op title, which is, what golf ball do you use, I never asked for the vast amount of technical posts which went way over my head, since the thread started I have just played along and stuck up for others..

Which brings us back to where we started. And if I'm not incorrect I am the only one who's actually provided the information you need. Not that it matters to you though. If you are reasonably clever (and I think most of us agree on the answer to that question, whatever the answer might be), you'll listen to my advice regarding golf balls. I ain't holding my breath waiting for that to happen, though...

I don't care if Jesus Christ himself was there when the teams were picked, he didn't chose them.

Nicklaus, Woods, Forethat.......none of those named chose the make up of the foursomes.

Couples, Norman........both of those chose the make up of the foursomes and both of them said the balls were not a consideration. They chose the teams, they are the captains and they chose the teams without consideration for the balls. That is not opinion, that is fact.

No matter which way you try and spin it you are wrong. End of story.

Now please go away whilst the big people are talking.

Which brings us back to where we started. And if I'm not incorrect I am the only one who's actually provided the information you need. Not that it matters to you though. If you are reasonably clever (and I think most of us agree on the answer to that question, whatever the answer might be), you'll listen to my advice regarding golf balls. I ain't holding my breath waiting for that to happen, though...

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4691764

And do you think anyone cares?

What I DID was that I actually EMPHASIZED on the fact that Greg Norman had that opinion and that if that's his opinion I accept that. I also pointed out that Tiger Woods is of the same opinion.

First of all, I have never said it's the most important thing. what I said was that it is ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS. Judging by the number of discussions and questions on press conferences AND statements from players themselves I'd say this seems to be rather important, and it is. I have posted references to articles where quotes from world class players and even legends touching on this topic confirms this as a very important factor. You probably don't understand the format of play or the simple mechanics behind WHY it is important. VERY important if you ask me. I cant believe you dont understand this, and you claim you are a Pro..?? Or you DO, but decide to act like a schmuck. Tragic.

You really dont know anything about this, do you?

What do you know? Did you pick the teams?

I don't care what Woods or anyone else thinks about it. The players don't chose the teams so that has nothing to do with what is considered when chosing them.

The Captains chose the teams and they both stated the balls weren't a consideration. FACT, not opinion.

Stick to pencil pushing and leave the chat to us adults because none of us really care what YOU think.

Isn't it amazing. I post a FACT that the type of balls used in foursomes are not a consideration. That is from the captains of both Fred Couples for the US team and Greg Norman for the International team.

Oh sorry, Couples and Norman have lied, you said so.

If you can post a comment made from either captians stating it is the most important then people may listen to you but until then your statement is only your opinion and when it comes up in contradiction to what has been said then I'm afraid your opinion is worth jack shit.

My coach regularly uses the term to 'pinch the ball' and 'hit down on it' all the time. But then again he is only a coach of world class players and people should only consider your opinion.

I'm sorry if your ego doesn't allow you to be wrong but everyone else will just happily agree with FACT ahead of opinion. Perhaps you should phone Couples and Norman and tell them they are wrong and have lied because you know for a fact they are wrong.

For a hacker you certainly have a high opinion of yourself and being shown to be wrong it has hurt your inflated ego. Instead of telling people to shut up why don't you just leave this thread. We are all entitled to our opinion based on fact and are going along quite nicely without you. If you don't like it, YOU leave....and we'll all be happy.

Kenny you were right, I post a fact and he waffles on about how they are wrong and he is right. Not quite 2 pages of it but he's getting there. Regardless of the waffling mumbo jumbo crap he talks it all comes down to those with the knowledge and actually being the captains of the teams saying he is wrong. We know that, the captains know that, so what he says doesn't really matter as he is just a hacker with an opinion.

If you don't WANT to understand why the ball type is a problem I guess I can't help you at all. If you still want to believe that Greg Norman can hit the ball on the top quadrant (and, by all means, do try out a lollipop stuck up your arse if Greg Norman tells you it improves your game), please go ahead, I'm not going to stop you.

Just a teensy correction here, FT. I believe if you go back through the thread, you will find I am the one that must play with a lollipop stuck up my arse, NOT brother Wallaby.

To add to this enlightening discussion, I was a participant at a press conference with Jack Nicklaus and Seve Ballesteros (You might remember them. They were in all the papers.) when the subject of ball choice arose, as it inevitably does, in their choices for playing partners in the Ryder Cup.

Both of them stated it had no bearing on their choice of partners in the Ryder Cup, preferring to use eye color instead as a determining factor.

I was personally there and I remember it well.

Just a teensy correction here, FT. I believe if you go back through the thread, you will find I am the one that must play with a lollipop stuck up my arse, NOT brother Wallaby.

To add to this enlightening discussion, I was a participant at a press conference with Jack Nicklaus and Seve Ballesteros (You might remember them. They were in all the papers.) when the subject of ball choice arose, as it inevitably does, in their choices for playing partners in the Ryder Cup.

Both of them stated it had no bearing on their choice of partners in the Ryder Cup, preferring to use eye color instead as a determining factor.

Oooohhhh Chuckd, you are a naughty boy. Now, to take Kenny's words, we will have 2 pages on why Couples and Norman didn't really say what they did.

But I wouldn't trust him or Couples, I'd much rather trust someone who says he was there as he MUST know what they both really said, just misquoted.

The real quote was...........The only consideration to balls is to make sure you have enough in your bag. Oh sorry, that was John Daly after the Oz open. violin.gif

My coach said that a lollipop up my arse would assist with hitting down and squeezing the ball and to make sure my thoughts are on the top quadrent. giggle.gif

So then we'

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4691764

No I will not listen or take the advice from a troll!!! however I would take advice from Wallaby and chuckd as they come across as decent honest people!

Edited by kenny999

Nicklaus, Woods, Forethat.......none of those named chose the make up of the foursomes.

Nicklaus and-or Woods doesn't (or didn't)t chose the make up (or influence the make up) of the foursomes in any of the last or past Ryder Cups?

You have an interesting opinion there.

Kenny this is my 1st ever post on Thaivisa after reading many of the posts. The reason I have registered is to to please ask you to stop posting about your knowledge of golf, especially in Phuket. I am a British PGA member and have lived here for over 12 years and am embarrassed by your reluctance to accept anyone else's view regarding coaching, the cost of golf in Phuket etc, etc. Please accept you are a mediocre player who hits the occasional great shot, whatever that is in your book and have none of the three P's I.e. PGA card, permission or permit to teach at phunaka. Best to sit at home and watch the golf channel. By the way you can find me at Phunaka everyday to show off your skills?

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this guy to straighten up his act. He is a bullshit talker of a kind I have never seen before. Absolutely ridiculous. I have invited him to show off his skills at several occasions, I've even offered myself to pick him up and pay his green fee for the amusement. Embarrassing is the correct word in his case.

No I will not listen or take the advice from a troll!!! however I would take advice from Wallaby and chuckd as they come across as decent honest people!

Yea yea yea, whatever, Please keep to the topic.

Well it's my thread so I guess I can say what I like so I have this to say, it's all about the balls as the balls are important if it wasen't for the balls we would not be playing the game we love!! happy new year mate!!

Kenny this is my 1st ever post on Thaivisa after reading many of the posts. The reason I have registered is to to please ask you to stop posting about your knowledge of golf, especially in Phuket. I am a British PGA member and have lived here for over 12 years and am embarrassed by your reluctance to accept anyone else's view regarding coaching, the cost of golf in Phuket etc, etc. Please accept you are a mediocre player who hits the occasional great shot, whatever that is in your book and have none of the three P's I.e. PGA card, permission or permit to teach at phunaka. Best to sit at home and watch the golf channel. By the way you can find me at Phunaka everyday to show off your skills?

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this guy to straighten up his act. He is a bullshit talker of a kind I have never seen before. Absolutely ridiculous. I have invited him to show off his skills at several occasions, I've even offered myself to pick him up and pay his green fee for the amusement. Embarrassing is the correct word in his case.

You have invited the pro for a game to show of his skills on several occasions, you offered to pick the pro up and pay his green fee, come on mate you are not that nice a bloke lol

once again I will ask you to post the crap I have posted but of course you are unable to do that as it is all opinion on my part, you must get a life fore that!!

Your stupidity is enormous, the facts are you offered to send me 3 pro V balls, never arrived(bullshit, you offered me a game once this is of course bullshit again, a few people are laughing at your your stupidity it is legendary!!

Now provide the evidence of crap posts or just go away and have what ever it is you have, I dread to think!!

I have never said I am a great player, I play golf for fun with friends, I have nothing to prove to you or anyone and I certainly never boast about my skill so why would I want to have a game to do this, golf is fun fun fun with friends.wai.gif

Now you can carry on for as long as you like trying to provoke people on hear up to you, remember we are giving you the drug you need which is replying to you which of course makes you happy sitting behind your desk in the dark room, but where is it going to get you, this is fun to me and I am not a person that gets upset by anything because it just goes straight over my head.

I am not going swimming with my daughter untill 4.30 so I can keep you company untill then, next post please!!

Edited by kenny999

For Most At Royal Melbourne, Ball Choice Was Foursome Factor

Alternate-shot format gets captains, players thinking about ball selection and on-course strategy. Only a handful of foursomes matches involved just one ball

One of the oddities of team play is foursomes, which often requires players to use a ball different from the one they ordinarily play. Such was the case at this year's Presidents Cup where only five of the 22 foursomes pairings were composed of players using the same ball.

Although International captain Greg Norman said it wasn't an issue ("At the end of the day, the guys can make the adjustment or adapt very quickly," he said), there is strategy involved. The prevailing wisdom is that the teams should tee off with the ball preferred by the player who will hit the approach shot. Performance of most low-spinning, multilayer tour balls is fairly similar off the tee, the thinking goes, but the players would notice a different feel (and perhaps spin) when hitting irons and wedges. Since distance control from the fairway is critical to setting up birdies, you want the player who is going to hit the approach shot to use his preferred ball. (A change made prior to the 2007 Presidents Cup match allows teams to switch balls after completing a hole.)

Not that all teams adhere to that. At Royal Melbourne the Jason Day-Aaron Baddeley tandem practiced using only Baddeley's Titleist Pro V1x (Day plays TaylorMade's Penta TP) and used that ball during their foursomes matches against Dustin Johnson-Matt Kuchar and Phil Mickelson-Jim Furyk. The rationale, according to Baddeley, was simple.

"My ball suits his game more than his ball suits my game," Baddeley said. The Geoff Ogilvy-Charl Schwartzel pairing also went with a single ball after a practice session. "We were messing around with the two different golf balls. I play Nike and he plays Titleist, so we were just seeing which ball we were going to hit," said Schwartzel. "I found no difference in the balls. Geoff found that [with] the Nike, he was struggling with the irons a bit, so [we just went] with his."

Jack Nicklaus was captain of the U.S. team in 2007 and when asked if the type of ball each player used was taken into consideration when making the pairings, Nicklaus answered in the affirmative.

"My little cheat sheet has not only the players and who they wanted to play with, but also their balls and how they would match up ball-wise," said Nicklaus, as he showed a little piece of paper listing all the players and their respective golf balls to a reporter. "We worked very hard to ensure not only the compatibility of the guys, but the compatibility of the golf ball. It is a big deal."

That thought was echoed by Curt Byrum during Golf Channel's coverage of the opening foursomes matches: "It's an issue," commented Byrum. "Mickelson and Furyk played eight holes during a practice round playing alternate shot, trying different strategies to get used to who they wanted to tee off, who they wanted to putt -- and the golf balls definitely play a role."

In fact, they may have played a role in the outcome of the matches. The five foursomes pairings using the same ball won 3.5 points and only lost 1.5 points. For the Americans, they won 2.5 and only lost a half-point. Flip that score the other way and the matches would have ended in a tie. Now that would have been a big deal.

Schwartzel said he found no difference in balls so he deferred to partner Ogilvy, who found just the opposite was true.

For Most At Royal Melbourne, Ball Choice Was Foursome Factor

Alternate-shot format gets captains, players thinking about ball selection and on-course strategy. Only a handful of foursomes matches involved just one ball

One of the oddities of team play is foursomes, which often requires players to use a ball different from the one they ordinarily play. Such was the case at this year's Presidents Cup where only five of the 22 foursomes pairings were composed of players using the same ball.

Although International captain Greg Norman said it wasn't an issue ("At the end of the day, the guys can make the adjustment or adapt very quickly," he said), there is strategy involved. The prevailing wisdom is that the teams should tee off with the ball preferred by the player who will hit the approach shot. Performance of most low-spinning, multilayer tour balls is fairly similar off the tee, the thinking goes, but the players would notice a different feel (and perhaps spin) when hitting irons and wedges. Since distance control from the fairway is critical to setting up birdies, you want the player who is going to hit the approach shot to use his preferred ball. (A change made prior to the 2007 Presidents Cup match allows teams to switch balls after completing a hole.)

Not that all teams adhere to that. At Royal Melbourne the Jason Day-Aaron Baddeley tandem practiced using only Baddeley's Titleist Pro V1x (Day plays TaylorMade's Penta TP) and used that ball during their foursomes matches against Dustin Johnson-Matt Kuchar and Phil Mickelson-Jim Furyk. The rationale, according to Baddeley, was simple.

"My ball suits his game more than his ball suits my game," Baddeley said. The Geoff Ogilvy-Charl Schwartzel pairing also went with a single ball after a practice session. "We were messing around with the two different golf balls. I play Nike and he plays Titleist, so we were just seeing which ball we were going to hit," said Schwartzel. "I found no difference in the balls. Geoff found that [with] the Nike, he was struggling with the irons a bit, so [we just went] with his."

Jack Nicklaus was captain of the U.S. team in 2007 and when asked if the type of ball each player used was taken into consideration when making the pairings, Nicklaus answered in the affirmative.

"My little cheat sheet has not only the players and who they wanted to play with, but also their balls and how they would match up ball-wise," said Nicklaus, as he showed a little piece of paper listing all the players and their respective golf balls to a reporter. "We worked very hard to ensure not only the compatibility of the guys, but the compatibility of the golf ball. It is a big deal."

That thought was echoed by Curt Byrum during Golf Channel's coverage of the opening foursomes matches: "It's an issue," commented Byrum. "Mickelson and Furyk played eight holes during a practice round playing alternate shot, trying different strategies to get used to who they wanted to tee off, who they wanted to putt -- and the golf balls definitely play a role."

In fact, they may have played a role in the outcome of the matches. The five foursomes pairings using the same ball won 3.5 points and only lost 1.5 points. For the Americans, they won 2.5 and only lost a half-point. Flip that score the other way and the matches would have ended in a tie. Now that would have been a big deal.

Schwartzel said he found no difference in balls so he deferred to partner Ogilvy, who found just the opposite was true.

How long did it take you to type that lol

At the end of the day it's all balls!! clap2.gif

Can we make it to 400 posts, balls balls and more balls so much to say about balls lol

Edited by kenny999

Oooohhhh Chuckd, you are a naughty boy. Now, to take Kenny's words, we will have 2 pages on why Couples and Norman didn't really say what they did.

But I wouldn't trust him or Couples, I'd much rather trust someone who says he was there as he MUST know what they both really said, just misquoted.

The real quote was...........The only consideration to balls is to make sure you have enough in your bag. Oh sorry, that was John Daly after the Oz open. violin.gif

My coach said that a lollipop up my arse would assist with hitting down and squeezing the ball and to make sure my thoughts are on the top quadrent. giggle.gif

lol love it, is it possible to hit a ball with a lollipop up your arse, I do hope the ice lolly was eaten first!!

How long did it take you to type that lol

May I suggest you read it..? And, by all means, click the link to get the source of the information.

I have read it and it is mumbo jumbo to me lol interesting if you are interested of course.

Kenny, you are a better man than me as I didn't read it, didn't have to. The statement from he who doesn't follow through on promised balls stated that the balls were one of the most important factors when chosing the pairings. Norman and Couples said it wasn't. Now I'll leave it up to everyone to decide who was right, Norman and Couples or the internet warrior.

What the players do is of no significance as they didn't chose the pairings. Nicklaus can chose pairings any way he wants be he wasn't the captain so what he says he would/did do is irrelevent. As far as I know Woods has never chosen the pairings so I don't know why he is mentioned at all.

In fact nothing the captains did in the past need be said because they didn't chose the pairings. What Norman and Couples said is the ONLY thing that matters.

The only thing relevent is whether Norman and Couples thought the balls were significant when chosing the pairings and they didn't. Jump up and down all you want but it doesn't make any difference and what anyone else says they did or would have done is not relevent as they aren't the captains.

Next.

PS: Kenny, I would suggest santa claus will drop through your chimney with a dozen Pro V1's tied to the easter bunny's ass before you'll get him to follow through on his promise.

We all know the type don't we, every club has them. The type we all smile and nod too but are always too busy pulling out our fingernails with a hot poker instead of being available for a game.

Kenny, you are a better man than me as I didn't read it, didn't have to.

Well that pretty much explains why you behave the way you do. One of the worlds most reputable golf writer writes an article in of the industries most reputable magazines in which he quotes Jack Nicklaus who explains the importance of the ball. A couple of the worlds highest ranked players says the same thing.

Enough said, really....

Edited by Forethat

Kenny, you are a better man than me as I didn't read it, didn't have to. The statement from he who doesn't follow through on promised balls stated that the balls were one of the most important factors when chosing the pairings. Norman and Couples said it wasn't. Now I'll leave it up to everyone to decide who was right, Norman and Couples or the internet warrior.

What the players do is of no significance as they didn't chose the pairings. Nicklaus can chose pairings any way he wants be he wasn't the captain so what he says he would/did do is irrelevent. As far as I know Woods has never chosen the pairings so I don't know why he is mentioned at all.

In fact nothing the captains did in the past need be said because they didn't chose the pairings. What Norman and Couples said is the ONLY thing that matters.

The only thing relevent is whether Norman and Couples thought the balls were significant when chosing the pairings and they didn't. Jump up and down all you want but it doesn't make any difference and what anyone else says they did or would have done is not relevent as they aren't the captains.

Next.

PS: Kenny, I would suggest santa claus will drop through your chimney with a dozen Pro V1's tied to the easter bunny's ass before you'll get him to follow through on his promise.

We all know the type don't we, every club has them. The type we all smile and nod too but are always too busy pulling out our fingernails with a hot poker instead of being available for a game.

I suppose I must own up to the fact not opinion that I did not read it at all, I was just humoring forethat as I knew it would please him greatly!!

I still wait for the postman every day with much anticipation and excitement for that little parcel containing 3 pro V1 golf balls, I am disappointed everyday!!

I ask myself often why would someone promise to send you something with no intention of actually doing it!!

I have to mention that forethat in a reply to the Phunaka pro quoted about embarrassment am I missing who really is the one feeling embarrassed!!

Edited by kenny999

More on the topic that touches on this problem.

http://www.thetourva...features/225284

http://blogs.golf.co...s-pairings.html

I don't think Wannabe or chuckd (and definitely not kenny) is of the standard that you'll be able to grasp the actual issue with playing a ball you don't normally play. For this you'll need to be able to strike the ball more consistently than one normally do at your hcp. If you understood this you'd understand why Jack Nicklaus, Mickelson, Faldo, Pavin and other players, (captains or players) gives this so much attention. It has even been debated whether this has actually decided the result in single matches, and in some cases the outcome of the entire Cup.

From a more practical perspective, on of biggest reason the ball is so important, is distance control (many of the players I know who've played in Ryder Cup claims that "trajectory/feeling" is an issue as well, but that's over-course for you guys). I am willing to bet a green fee that none of you boys know exactly how to hit a 73 yds shot, or a 88 yds pitch, or what Sergio Garcia would call a 50 yds nipper. You may have a couple of stock shots in the bag, but most likely you're not even aware how to adjust in order to hit every yardage from 40 to 100 yds. At this level it's not about hitting it within a couple of yds, we're talking hitting it at the EXACT yardage. There are are a couple of techniques by which you can do this, but regardless of technique you can bet that the distance gets programmed after hitting a couple of hundred thousand wedges.

Now, what you're saying, is that all this counts for nothing. Of course it does. It is the very essence of professional golf. Scoring. Without consistent ball striking and distance control you cant hit it close to the pin and eventually convert to birdies. And I haven't even mentioned the trajectory/feeling side of the issue or how the body makes adjustments when this parameter is disturbed.

The reason this becomes an issue is the distance control and the trajectory/feeling. Bomb it of the tee I cant imagine would be a problem, but the approach shot, there's the issue, and this is a well known fact. This is also why this is heavily debated every time Ryder Cup or similar is on the line. Some players prepare and practice. They know in advance that they will be paired with someone and for this reason practice with the intended ball.

Not an important factor? Clown...

Edited by Forethat

More on the topic that touches on this problem.

http://www.thetourva...features/225284

http://blogs.golf.co...s-pairings.html

I don't think Wannabe or chuckd (and definitely not kenny) is of the standard that you'll be able to grasp the actual issue with playing a ball you don't normally play. For this you'll need to be able to strike the ball more consistently than one normally do at your hcp. If you understood this you'd understand why Jack Nicklaus, Mickelson, Faldo, Pavin and other players, (captains or players) gives this so much attention. It has even been debated whether this has actually decided the result in single matches, and in some cases the outcome of the entire Cup.

From a more practical perspective, on of biggest reason the ball is so important, is distance control (many of the players I know who've played in Ryder Cup claims that "trajectory/feeling" is an issue as well, but that's over-course for you guys). I am willing to bet a green fee that none of you boys know exactly how to hit a 73 yds shot, or a 88 yds pitch, or what Sergio Garcia would call a 50 yds nipper. You may have a couple of stock shots in the bag, but most likely you're not even aware how to adjust in order to hit every yardage from 40 to 100 yds. At this level it's not about hitting it within a couple of yds, we're talking hitting it at the EXACT yardage. There are are a couple of techniques by which you can do this, but regardless of technique you can bet that the distance gets programmed after hitting a couple of hundred thousand wedges.

Now, what you're saying, is that all this counts for nothing. Of course it does. It is the very essence of professional golf. Scoring. Without consistent ball striking and distance control you cant hit it close to the pin and eventually convert to birdies. And I haven't even mentioned the trajectory/feeling side of the issue or how the body makes adjustments when this parameter is disturbed.

The reason this becomes an issue is the distance control and the trajectory/feeling. Bomb it of the tee I cant imagine would be a problem, but the approach shot, there's the issue, and this is a well known fact. This is also why this is heavily debated every time Ryder Cup or similar is on the line. Some players prepare and practice. They know in advance that they will be paired with someone and for this reason practice with the intended ball.

Not an important factor? Clown...

Tut tut forethat name calling again, don't let frustration rule your emotions!!

No I am not of the standard where I could hit shots consistently from the yardages you mention hence why I am not a very low handicap player, to me the most enjoyable thing about golf is seeing the ball flying through the air, landing the ball any where on the green from my second shot is most enjoyable, I actually enjoy the bad shots along with the good shots, pro's make the game look so so easy but they practice a lot and I assume have a personal coach plus lots of that natural ability, I enjoy the game, I do not practice as I find it boring so I know my limitations, I just enjoy the walk and the occasional great shot it's enough for me!!

I just enjoy the walk and the occasional great shot it's enough for me!!

We just wish you'd refrain from posting descriptions of it here....

When I went to golf college my coach taught me one thing I believe is suitable in your case: "After a round, just tell me the score. Nothing else. I am not interested in hearing how it happened and what would have been. Only the score. OK? If you shoot 69, tell me 69. If you shoot 78, tell me 78. Nothing else, OK?"

Yesterday I shot 69.

I just enjoy the walk and the occasional great shot it's enough for me!!

We just wish you'd refrain from posting descriptions of it here....

When I went to golf college my coach taught me one thing I believe is suitable in your case: "After a round, just tell me the score. Nothing else. I am not interested in hearing how it happened and what would have been. Only the score. OK? If you shoot 69, tell me 69. If you shoot 78, tell me 78. Nothing else, OK?"

Yesterday I shot 69.

We only have your word forethat ha ha

I would say that is a good description of my golf considering I am a good amateur but not a great one as my chipping and putting is pretty much useless but still enjoyable, last week I shot 12 over using Titleist NXT tour ball(18 hole long course, very pleased with that!!

Edited by kenny999

I have had a very good friend for years that reminds me of Forethat.

He had every book ever written on the game, read all the golf magazines religiously, watched all the videos and tournaments on TV and considered himself an expert on all things golf related.

Unfortunately, he never was able to carry all that knowledge onto the course itself and was frustrated by his game. He claimed to know everything but, sadly, did not have the motor skills to accomplish his goals.

What is he doing now?

He has largely retired from the game and is reduced to following golf forums, trying to critique anonymous people on their imaginary golf swings. He, too, makes vacuous comments regarding his personal game, largely because they all occur in his imagination.

This seems to be a case of deja vu all over again. cheesy.gif

He had every book ever written on the game, read all the golf magazines religiously, watched all the videos and tournaments on TV and considered himself an expert on all things golf related.

Unfortunately, he never was able to carry all that knowledge onto the course itself and was frustrated by his game. He claimed to know everything but, sadly, did not have the motor skills to accomplish his goals.

What is he doing now?

He has largely retired from the game and is reduced to following golf forums, trying to critique anonymous people on their imaginary golf swings. He, too, makes vacuous comments regarding his personal game, largely because they all occur in his imagination.

I'm sure you're a good player, you've made sure to tell the entire forum plenty of times.

Personally, my thinking is that the bullshitter is the one who cant but tell everybody how good he his. One wonders what the he** that has to do with it..?

So far you haven't managed to post anything correct ONCE. First you claimed that Greg Norman was correct when he said he could actually hit the top quadrant of a golf ball with a wedge. He can't. PERIOD. I have posted imagery that clearly shows this is IMPOSSIBLE. You argued quite a bit about this, pretty stupid I must say, when the only thing you had to do was to admit to be wrong. I guess that's what' defines a "know it all". My definition of your personality disorder is "clown".

The next brilliant performance from yourself and your buddy Wannabe was when you claimed that the status of a player - professional or amateur - is dictated by a PGA membership. That is just so stupid I don't know what is. The status is decided by R&A/USGA and has NOTHING to do with a PGA membership. PGA is an organisation, and there are several others. Some of these allows ANYONE that can pay the starting fee to play in tournaments. I have included links to SEVERAL of these, I have even played in a couple of these events myself. But STILL you are so full of shit you think you're right when you claim that a PGA membership is what dictates a professional status or not. Embarrassing, if you ask me.

And now we're at the point where you claim that the golf ball is not one of the most important factors when pairing the foursomes in Ryder an Presidents Cup. You probably think that the idiot who said that professionals turn up at tournament and test thousands of balls before selecting the ball that suits that weeks conditions was right, huh..?

In the future, please feel free to include references to the quotes that you complain about, if anything it would at least make you just a little credible.

Déjà vu was the word...

I am sooo looking forward to playing a game with you guys, it'll be REALLY fun watching you show your skills against someone like me who "never was able to carry all that knowledge onto the course itself and was frustrated by his game".

What is he doing now?

Please keep to the topic.