What Golf Ball Do You Use?

kenny999

I am confused now and can only see scooping the ball if I hit it in the lower quadrant and blading the ball if I hit it in the middle quadrant. In fact it would seem to me if I hit the ball in the lower quadrant, then I must strike the big ball before the little ball to make this possible.

Please help me. After playing the game only 50 years I am now confused. :wacko:

PS: If you have already explained this before, simply point me to the proper post (they are numbered so you can just mention the number) and I will seek the knowledge myself. Thank you for your patience with a senior citizen. :wai:

Believe me, you don't have to tell me you're confused.

Here's some high speed imagery of what appears to be a wedge (dunno who hits the iron).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dG9hb3_blo

This is a wedge or a short iron. The ball is hit on the way down with the club and clearly strikes the ball at around 7' clock.

Can you please explain to me how it would be possible to hit the ball above the equator.

Isn't it better that you accept that I am right..?

Edited by Forethat

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This video shows comparisons between many clubs ranging from SW to the dricer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mPAlrikWcw&feature=related

I have indicated on this image the loft of the club with the red line. The yellow line indicates the loft required if you are to hit the ball on the top quadrant. As most of us understand (well,uhhrrrmm...) it is virtually impossible unless you de-loft the club to ridiculous extents by leaning the shaft almost to the ground.

post-98752-0-98279300-1316268105_thumb.j

Edited by Forethat

• 1 month later...

I don't think it really matters which ball you use other then the high compression ones [high swing speed 100 +]. What matters is you should use the same brand, same type, all the time by doing this you will learn the characteristics of the ball what it will do [ ie spin, roll, distance] and what it won't do. My 2 cents worth... In saying that you should try all different brands and types until you find the ball that is right for you...Go Habs Go

• 1 month later...

I have to admit wasting some time on reading some of these threads, but then got tired and skipped to the end. I was interested more in the OP on balls people use. I am truly a hack and cant shoot anywhere near the scores others shoot here, however, do enjoy the game. I have not played in a long time and suck worse than I did before, but thinking of getting back into it, as I miss going out on a nice day with some good natured ribbing with friends and enjoying a good drink afterwards.

Regarding balls, I picked up some different ones to try. They dont make as much difference at my level, but I still enjoy trying some different balls and seeing if I can tell any difference in feel or performance. Although at my level, I am just trying to hit the ball and not at the level where I can really judge a ball well, as I dont strike it very consistently at all.

I was trying to find some balls with low driver spin. So, I bought a box of the Bridgestone E6's, since these are supposedly low spin, but anything will still slice, when hit badly enough. I also found the Callaway HX Diablo Tours at a Walmart for only $21 usd, so bought a box to try. And I bought a box of Top Flite Gamer V2's for $19 usd, as I read some good reviews on these, so wanted to try them. And I have a box of Titleist DT SoLo's too. So, will give all these balls a go and see how I like them, if I can ever get a vacation to play somewhere.

Edited by ebcal

I now play with Titleist NXT tour, my first drive on a par 4 with the Titleist was about 300 yds, my 2nd drive with a Dunlop power was 0ver 330yds so for driving the Titleist did not perform as well as the Dunlop, although I have to say my 2nd drive did draw so maybe that accounts for the extra distance!!

Edited by kenny999

I now play with Titleist NXT tour, my first drive on a par 4 with the Titleist was about 300 yds, my 2nd drive with a Dunlop power was 0ver 330yds so for driving the Titleist did not perform as well as the Dunlop, although I have to say my 2nd drive did draw so maybe that accounts for the extra distance!!

One thing that's awesome is how many guys on internet forums hit it 300, no problem.

I haven't played with anyone that hits it longer than me in two years, but I can't hit it 300. Weird phenomenon.

'I didn't put a draw on that, so it only went 300.'

One thing that's awesome is how many guys on internet forums hit it 300, no problem.

I haven't played with anyone that hits it longer than me in two years, but I can't hit it 300. Weird phenomenon.

95% of all hackers I play with are unable to hit the ball 240 yds. 330 yds?

Looking at the qualifying results one group in the from World Long Driving Championships Senior division, it is obvious that kenny999 would be in contention with the longest hitters in the world.

http://www.longdrivers.com/2011WLDCResults/2011SeniorG1R1-4.html

330 yds? What a joke...

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Going by the yardage of the hole and being left with 100 yds to the green I hit the longest drive 330yds, this is not carry but carry and run, so this would have been a drive of 280 yds with 50 yds of run, I am over 6' 4" and very strong so this is well within my reach, if I had measured the drive with a range finder maybe it would have been shorter but to me it was the distance I stated, who gives a shish how far it was exactly it was the longest drive I have ever hit so lighten up and go with the flow, clap2.gif

Edited by kenny999

What has being on the Internet got to do with anything, I am hitting the ball further than I have ever done and again going by the yardage of the hole and being left with 100 yds to the green I hit the drive approx 330 yds, I played with a guy a while back who said my 3 wood was up there with the pro's distance wise so I am a proud bunny!!

But of course without a range finder I can never know how far it was realy, I am just going by the hole yardage, it was a great drive my best ever so bring on the long drive competition lol

Edited by kenny999

Looking at the qualifying results one group in the from World Long Driving Championships Senior division, it is obvious that kenny999 would be in contention with the longest hitters in the world.

http://www.longdrive...niorG1R1-4.html

330 yds? What a joke...

And of course we know you dispute everything up to you as they say here lol

Thanks for the link and yes I do believe I could compete in that competition and not come last

Edited by kenny999

http://www.longdrive...niorG1R1-4.html

330 yds? What a joke...

And of course we know you dispute everything up to you as they say here lol

Thanks for the link and yes I do believe I could compete in that competition and not come last

You could compete in World Long Driving Championships competition and not come last..??

Compete with the best in the world? For fuc_k sake, just shut your trap, will you?

Can't believe so much of my life has been wasted reading page after page of this crap.

Yup totally agree there - spin and distance depend on so many factors, clubs, ground conditions, lie, how many beers you had the night before etc so if you're just coming on a holiday and playing a course that's unfamiliar I think what other posters have said seems reasonable - buy a bag of lake balls and just enjoy your round.

Can't believe so much of my life has been wasted reading page after page of this crap.

Yup totally agree there - spin and distance depend on so many factors, clubs, ground conditions, lie, how many beers you had the night before etc so if you're just coming on a holiday and playing a course that's unfamiliar I think what other posters have said seems reasonable - buy a bag of lake balls and just enjoy your round.

Sorry I don't understand the reading page after page of crap, surely if you read 1 page of what you consider to be crap you would not read any more!! unless of course reading this so called crap interestes you!!

The "my dick's bigger than yours" bullshit that's been spouted, from both sides, when the thread should be about golf balls, is ridiculous.

I'm around a 20 handicapper, and the balls make a big difference, mostly around the green, for me. Titleist NXT Tour and Srixon Trispeed Tour are a great compromise between performance and budget. Haven't tried the Burner Tour yet, they're next on the list, at around B800.

As for the driving distance, I regularly hit drives of 270/280, as I did on Thana City yesterday. Getting it in the hole from there is a different matter. Guess I'm in that magical 5% of 'hackers' Forethat's been missing. He actually started off making some very good points, and descended into a bit of a dick as the thread went on.

Sorry I don't understand the reading page after page of crap, surely if you read 1 page of what you consider to be crap you would not read any more!! unless of course reading this so called crap interestes you!!

Speaking for myself I didn't actually read everything but skimming through I got the gist and I really couldn't see why all these technical details for a few rounds of holiday golf. Unless you know the exact conditions of the course you're playing for that particular day then I fail to see how you could buy suitable balls. All these 'experts' are quoting particular balls for courses they play often. I mean what if it rains on the day you play, you're not going to get much run. Pros turn up at golf courses and will play several rounds and practice with thousands of balls and choose what's right for that day. As I said just enjoy your round(s) and forget the techie stuff.

The "my dick's bigger than yours" bullshit that's been spouted, from both sides, when the thread should be about golf balls, is ridiculous.

I'm around a 20 handicapper, and the balls make a big difference, mostly around the green, for me. Titleist NXT Tour and Srixon Trispeed Tour are a great compromise between performance and budget. Haven't tried the Burner Tour yet, they're next on the list, at around B800.

As for the driving distance, I regularly hit drives of 270/280, as I did on Thana City yesterday. Getting it in the hole from there is a different matter. Guess I'm in that magical 5% of 'hackers' Forethat's been missing. He actually started off making some very good points, and descended into a bit of a dick as the thread went on.

Yes you have the quote a bit of a dick right, as for the drives you will also hit drives of at least 330 yds conditions permitting, i:e your ball hitting a down slope and running on 50yds or possibly more!

Speaking for myself I didn't actually read everything but skimming through I got the gist and I really couldn't see why all these technical details for a few rounds of holiday golf. Unless you know the exact conditions of the course you're playing for that particular day then I fail to see how you could buy suitable balls. All these 'experts' are quoting particular balls for courses they play often. I mean what if it rains on the day you play, you're not going to get much run. Pros turn up at golf courses and will play several rounds and practice with thousands of balls and choose what's right for that day. As I said just enjoy your round(s) and forget the techie stuff.

What have you done, forethat is going to have a field day now explaining how you are very wrong about your quote, pro's turn up and choose what ball to play on the day, as for me I play the ball I can afford at the moment that is the Titleist NXT tour, in the future this might revert back to Dunlop DDH or Dunlop power both good balls!!

What have you done, forethat is going to have a field day now explaining how you are very wrong about your quote, pro's turn up and choose what ball to play on the day, as for me I play the ball I can afford at the moment that is the Titleist NXT tour, in the future this might revert back to Dunlop DDH or Dunlop power both good balls!!

Don't think I'm wrong, I used to be a professional caddy. What I was saying is that some of the posts make it sound like you're coming here to play the Thailand Open which unfortunately was just over a week ago (won by a Brit too - good on ya Lee).

I wish I could have played in the Thailand open I would have got the longest drive lol no I started this thread about balls and forethat hi-jacked it with so much technical mumbo jumbo which not many people believed or understood, still he provides entertainment which I am sure he is waiting to do again, good lad forethat!!

I wish I could have played in the Thailand open I would have got the longest drive lol no I started this thread about balls and forethat hi-jacked it with so much technical mumbo jumbo which not many people believed or understood, still he provides entertainment which I am sure he is waiting to do again, good lad forethat!!

Have a great holiday and hope all your rounds are under par and I mean that scorewise not playwise:)

Edited by sysardman

Speaking for myself I didn't actually read everything but skimming through I got the gist and I really couldn't see why all these technical details for a few rounds of holiday golf.

I dont think anyone is disputing this.

Pros turn up at golf courses and will play several rounds and practice with thousands of balls and choose what's right for that day.

No. Completely wrong. Pros play the same ball in all conditions. Most of them are contracted to play one ball, the others play the ball that fit their game, not the weather or course. The ball is so important and individual that you dont want to change. In case you're interested, the ball is one of the most important factors when you pair your players in Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup etc.

Speaking for myself I didn't actually read everything but skimming through I got the gist and I really couldn't see why all these technical details for a few rounds of holiday golf.

Pros turn up at golf courses and will play several rounds and practice with thousands of balls and choose what's right for that day.

No. Completely wrong. Pros play the same ball in all conditions. Most of them are contracted to play one ball, the others play the ball that fit their game, not the weather or course. The ball is so important and individual that you dont want to change. In case you're interested, the ball is one of the most important factors when you pair your players in Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup etc.

Here we go again another load of mumbo jumbo, I'm off to hit another monster drive lol please people do not feed the troll!! lol

Here we go again another load of mumbo jumbo, I'm off to hit another monster drive lol please people do not feed the troll!! lol

Mumbo jumbo? In case you didn't read my previous post:

Pros play the same ball in all conditions. Most of them are contracted to play one ball, the others play the ball that fit their game, not the weather or course. The ball is so important and individual that you dont want to change. In case you're interested, the ball is one of the most important factors when you pair your players in Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup etc.

Kenny this is my 1st ever post on Thaivisa after reading many of the posts. The reason I have registered is to to please ask you to stop posting about your knowledge of golf, especially in Phuket. I am a British PGA member and have lived here for over 12 years and am embarrassed by your reluctance to accept anyone else's view regarding coaching, the cost of golf in Phuket etc, etc. Please accept you are a mediocre player who hits the occasional great shot, whatever that is in your book and have none of the three P's I.e. PGA card, permission or permit to teach at phunaka. Best to sit at home and watch the golf channel. By the way you can find me at Phunaka everyday to show off your skills?