What Golf Ball Do You Use?

kenny999

A person can have all the reasons why it doesn't work, but the facts are facts, it HAS been taught that way and it HAS worked. Or are you saying that no one has ever got backspin by being taught to squeeze or pinch the ball?

First of all there's a massive difference in equipment today. The ball has changed and so has the grooves on the clubs. The grooves and balls (not ALL balls) are so much better today there's actually no need to swing steeply on the ball to get spin. 20 years ago it was a complete different picture, most players swung VERY steep and some players took huuuge divots. There are still a few international players on the PGA tour who digs enormous divots with the wedges, and there are others who didn't take any divots at all. Nicklaus is a great example of a non-divot player, or maybe it was Palmer!? Cant remember, it was one of them.

All of this has changed, but I agree that was they way it WAS taught, and some PGA Pros:s still teach this way. They used to get massive spin back in the old days, especially during the Balata era. Check out the All Star Golf at True Sport! But I can tell you NONE of them hit the top quadrant of the ball, even though they had that "feeling".

Balata!!! I don't have to check out, I was part of it. Oh the memories.

When I first turned pro, (ok, signing up as a trainee to be technical) I had to change from the small ball to the big ball. Yes it was that long ago that as an amateur we still used the small ball. We were a few years behind the US in changing ball sizes. I still actually have a few of the small balls and they look like marbles, I can't believe we used to use them.

Using the old wooden drivers and the balata balls were 'interesting'. Those balls used to get cut to pieces just by looking at them. Any bunker shot would scuff them. A slightly knifed pitch would put a huge smile in them. Sometimes I wonder how the hell we got some of the scores we did. Of course the bad thing was that you lost a HEAP of distance. I can tell you the courses back then used to play a lot longer and harder due to the clubs and balls we used.

I don't know if we took big divots back then because of being a more upright swing. The way of the old teaching was very much to take it back wide then drop it in so you had an inside to out swing. It isn't too easy to take divots with that swing, and I'm not sure how I ever hit the ball half decent considering the 'new' swings we are taught.

Ahhh those were the days. Bad clubs/balls/coaching but shit it was fun.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What grooves can you have on your clubs and what are legal?

I stand to be corrected as I'm not really up to all the changes but some used to have 'square' grooves. Serious spin with those. They are now illegal but I doubt you could by them new anymore anyway.

Here is an interesting article on the issue of Phil Mickelson accused of 'cheating', sort of.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/30/phil-mickelson-cheating-s_n_443074.html

I stand to be corrected as I'm not really up to all the changes but some used to have 'square' grooves. Serious spin with those. They are now illegal but I doubt you could by them new anymore anyway.

Here is an interesting article on the issue of Phil Mickelson accused of 'cheating', sort of.

http://www.huffingto...s_n_443074.html

Their is also some debate on the usage of Broom handle putters, it appears some people feel they provide an advantage because the putter is linked to the body!!

Ah womens golf, now we are talking about an interesting subject!! watching golf and watching women playing with balls, can it get any better!! lol

Yes, they should be naked!!!

Except for Laura Davies, unless you're into that. :D

Miss Wie, Miss Creamer, yes yes yes, Laura Davies oh dear!!

http://www.huffingto...s_n_443074.html

Their is also some debate on the usage of Broom handle putters, it appears some people feel they provide an advantage because the putter is linked to the body!!

Yeah I've heard things about that. I suppose because it isn't attached to the body by anything then they won't worry. Good to see they don't use the broomstick when taking a club length drop. :D

I can't use the bloody things. I practice with one just to get my right hand stroking better but honestly, it wobbles all over the place. Must take quite a bit of practice to be good at it. Though I'm interested in trying the belly putter, that would probably be good for me.

I'll probably invent the belly pitching wedge soon. :D

Edited by Wallaby

Ah womens golf, now we are talking about an interesting subject!! watching golf and watching women playing with balls, can it get any better!! lol

Yes, they should be naked!!!

Except for Laura Davies, unless you're into that. :D

Miss Wie, Miss Creamer, yes yes yes, Laura Davies oh dear!!

Oh Michelle Wie, now you're talking. Perhaps bring Lorena Ochoa out of retirement, just to add some spice.

But where would they put their ball markers and tees? Oh the mind boggles.

I suggest you tell Greg Norman he doesn't know the golf swing. The more you say on this forum, the deafer we might become.

But in your case I wouldn't be surprised if you'd believe the secret to the golf swing was a lollipop - raspberry flavored - stuck up your arse, if Greg Norman told you so.

There's a lot of work here for Mythbusters, should they feel like it

Never tried raspberry. Is that what makes the difference between a hacker and somebody like yourself?

Edit: If the pros don't strike down on the ball, why is the divot in front of the ball?

Edited by chuckd

I suggest you tell Greg Norman he doesn't know the golf swing. The more you say on this forum, the deafer we might become.

But in your case I wouldn't be surprised if you'd believe the secret to the golf swing was a lollipop - raspberry flavored - stuck up your arse, if Greg Norman told you so.

Never tried raspberry. Is that what makes the difference between a hacker and somebody like yourself?

Edit: If the pros don't strike down on the ball, why is the divot in front of the ball?

If you read my earlier posts you'll see that I reference a couple of websites where the NEW ball flight laws are discussed. In particular, the previous belief that the swing path governs the initial ball direction - as well as horizontal as vertical - is proven wrong, it is THE FACE OF THE CLUB that decides the ball flight. If the face of the club points towards the sky - or at least in a 45 degree (a SERIOSLY de-lofted sand wedge) - the trajectory of the ball WILL start at the same angle minus give or take 5%. So it is conclusive that the initial ball trajectory is governed at 95% by the face of the club.

The normal strike of a PRO or even a reasonable hacker with a decent ball striking (and remember the OLD belief was that the swing path decided the initial trajectory) of a PRO is that the ball is struck while on its way towards the bottom of the swing arc. So you are correct, you ARE hitting the ball with a descending blow (as in "before the swing arc bottoms out"), but the problem is that the face is also moving forward and since the face is also pointing upwards - and keep the ball flight laws in mind - and the face of the club ALWAYS strikes the ball below the equator, the ball WILL launch UP in the air and not DOWN towards the ground. The only way you can hit the ball above the equator is of you thin (scull, top etc.) the ball, but that doesn't create any spin at all.

I think everybody that plays golf has experienced what happened when you hit a ball a little thin (but only just), you get a rocket of a shot that skips once before coming to a complete halt with enormous backspin. Thats about as close you can get to failing completely, and you are still well beyond the equator.

I am - and so are most of my colleagues - pretty confident that what Greg Norman and many others actually mean is that they have a sensation, or swing thought, that they hit the ball with such descending blow it creates the sensation of a strike that hits the upper quadrant, but that's not correct, the physics involved makes it impossible. Just try it yourself; put a ball on the ground and adress the ball with a sand wedge in a position so that the face of the club hits the upper quadrant. Would you want to hit the ball with the hands 10" above the ground...? Didn't think so.

Edited by Forethat

Just when this thread had moved on to something interesting...................

Chuckd, to give you the short correct answer to your actual query........the club should naturally be decending and hit the ball on the downward arc. So yes, you do hit down on the ball.

If you read my earlier posts you'll see that I reference a couple of websites where the NEW ball flight laws are discussed. In particular, the previous belief that the swing path governs the initial ball direction - as well as horizontal as vertical - is proven wrong, it is THE FACE OF THE CLUB that decides the ball flight. If the face of the club points towards the sky - or at least in a 45 degree (a SERIOSLY de-lofted sand wedge) - the trajectory of the ball WILL start at the same angle minus give or take 5%. So it is conclusive that the initial ball trajectory is governed at 95% by the face of the club.

The normal strike of a PRO or even a reasonable hacker with a decent ball striking (and remember the OLD belief was that the swing path decided the initial trajectory) of a PRO is that the ball is struck while on its way towards the bottom of the swing arc. So you are correct, you ARE hitting the ball with a descending blow (as in "before the swing arc bottoms out"), but the problem is that the face is also moving forward and since the face is also pointing upwards - and keep the ball flight laws in mind - and the face of the club ALWAYS strikes the ball below the equator, the ball WILL launch UP in the air and not DOWN towards the ground. The only way you can hit the ball above the equator is of you thin (scull, top etc.) the ball, but that doesn't create any spin at all.

I think everybody that plays golf has experienced what happened when you hit a ball a little thin (but only just), you get a rocket of a shot that skips once before coming to a complete halt with enormous backspin. Thats about as close you can get to failing completely, and you are still well beyond the equator.

I am - and so are most of my colleagues - pretty confident that what Greg Norman and many others actually mean is that they have a sensation, or swing thought, that they hit the ball with such descending blow it creates the sensation of a strike that hits the upper quadrant, but that's not correct, the physics involved makes it impossible. Just try it yourself; put a ball on the ground and adress the ball with a sand wedge in a position so that the face of the club hits the upper quadrant. Would you want to hit the ball with the hands 10" above the ground...? Didn't think so.

Changing the subject just played golf at my easy 9 hole golf course and went round in 2 over par for 18 holes, yes I know you will say it is not a real golf course but to me it is, to me it is golf and it's my best golf score of my life, not just because it was 2 over but because of the way I played, hitting the ball so well in quite windy conditions, I don't practice the short game but today every thing was great, chipping and putting excellent.

Chuckd, to give you the short correct answer to your actual query........the club should naturally be decending and hit the ball on the downward arc. So yes, you do hit down on the ball.

Physically, you dont. The swing arc dictates that the ball is struck on the way down, but the forward motion and the loft of the face dictates that you CANT strike the ball above the equator. Other than that I agree, despite most hackers actually scooping the ball rather than releasing the club.

Changing the subject just played golf at my easy 9 hole golf course and went round in 2 over par for 18 holes, yes I know you will say it is not a real golf course but to me it is, to me it is golf and it's my best golf score of my life, not just because it was 2 over but because of the way I played, hitting the ball so well in quite windy conditions, I don't practice the short game but today every thing was great, chipping and putting excellent.

Of course it's a real golf course. Good shooting!

Physically, you dont. The swing arc dictates that the ball is struck on the way down, but the forward motion and the loft of the face dictates that you CANT strike the ball above the equator. Other than that I agree, despite most hackers actually scooping the ball rather than releasing the club.

Stop using the word hacker it's a bad word to associate with competant golfers!!

Stop using the word hacker it's a bad word to associate with competant golfers!!

Exactly, he can call himself a hacker if he wishes, and he does. When I have a shocker I too use that term for myself, but it is a derogatory term used to denigrate a person usually to make oneself feel superior. A bit like calling an african american a n.......

There is just no need for it at all.

Congratulations on your round, now go and have some beers and celebrate, you deserve it.

So what part of 'naturally descending' did you not understand.

You just like to be difficult don't you.

If I wished to be a pedantic prick as well I could say.... well the swinging of the club is a physical act, the swing arc is caused by that physical act, the club is descending when it hits the ball because of that physical act, therefore you are physically hitting down on the ball.

Or I could retort with............well you don't physically hit up on the ball.

But that would be just boorish and argumentative and uncalled for so there is no need to say it.

Simple question, simple answer. You don't hit the ball on the up, you hit it on the down. Whether you wear shorts with long socks or have a long fingernails is not going to change that answer.

Exactly, he can call himself a hacker if he wishes, and he does. When I have a shocker I too use that term for myself, but it is a derogatory term used to denigrate a person usually to make oneself feel superior. A bit like calling an african american a n.......

There is just no need for it at all.

Congratulations on your round, now go and have some beers and celebrate, you deserve it.

THIS IS THE DEFINITION OF THE WORD HACKER AS IT APPLYS TO A GOLFER!!

A very bad player. Somewhat synonymous with "duffer" in that they both apply to poor players. But "duffer" is sometimes used to denote weaker players in general, while "hacker" is often applied to a single golfer as an insult. Hacker is a little bit stronger than duffer, in other words.

I am at a loss as to know why you would use this term, to me using this term is purely to get a response from decent people who would not think of using this nasty word to describe a competent golfer!!!

I wouldn't let it worry you Kenny, it's just a bit of baiting. Every golf club has a couple of 'characters', just go with the flow. I prefer to surround myself with more positive people and enjoy their company instead of getting involved in a dick measuring competition.

Tomorrow I'm out to hit a few practice balls, mainly just short game then Sunday off for a game at the course below. Hardest course I've every played and I expect to rack up a few as my game is a work in progress. Will still be good to just get out and enjoy the day though.

http://www.brookwatergolf.com/golf-overview.php

I wouldn't let it worry you Kenny, it's just a bit of baiting. Every golf club has a couple of 'characters', just go with the flow. I prefer to surround myself with more positive people and enjoy their company instead of getting involved in a dick measuring competition.

Tomorrow I'm out to hit a few practice balls, mainly just short game then Sunday off for a game at the course below. Hardest course I've every played and I expect to rack up a few as my game is a work in progress. Will still be good to just get out and enjoy the day though.

http://www.brookwate...lf-overview.php

That picture on the web is stunning, what a golf hole!!

That is one beautiful golf course!!!

Edited by kenny999

Yeah but it's a bloody nightmare to play. Every hole is seperated so you feel like you are the only one on the course. But miss the fairway and it's lost ball, too much scrub and too many snakes. All the greens are raised so miss the green and you have a lob shot to the green, or a deep bunker shot. Just add in that it is a very long course.

Greg Norman designed it, must have been when he was in a bad mood, perhaps when he was divorcing his ex. Even his mother abused him by saying it was too tough. I'll have to buy a few extra balls and maybe an extra pencil for the high score I'll have. :D

I don't think they've played a pro tournament on it yet, will be very interesting to see the scores when/if they do.

I don't suppose you have a link to any of the courses you play?

Yeah but it's a bloody nightmare to play. Every hole is seperated so you feel like you are the only one on the course. But miss the fairway and it's lost ball, too much scrub and too many snakes. All the greens are raised so miss the green and you have a lob shot to the green, or a deep bunker shot. Just add in that it is a very long course.

Greg Norman designed it, must have been when he was in a bad mood, perhaps when he was divorcing his ex. Even his mother abused him by saying it was too tough. I'll have to buy a few extra balls and maybe an extra pencil for the high score I'll have. :D

I don't think they've played a pro tournament on it yet, will be very interesting to see the scores when/if they do.

I only play one course and that is Phunaka, 9 hole you play twice, http://www.phunakagolf.com/ God I would love to be able to play a course like the one you will be playing soon, here on Phuket golf is way out of my reach, cheapest will cost you 4500 bht going up to over 6000 bht crazy prices!! but this is tourist ville and the prices reflect it. the par 4 8th can also be played as a par 5 it is 526 yds... Phunaka at the moment costs me 1000 bht including caddy fee but not the tip of 200 bht.

Kenny that looks alright. I can picture you having a great day and strutting with chest out to the bar and sitting up on the balcony. :D

Night golf too. No rest for you. :)

Very expensive to play those other courses in Phuket, especially when you consider the wages they would pay the locals.

If you get yourself to Brisbane sometime or when I next go to Thailand (though I'm no fan of Phuket) I'll shout you a game on one of the really good ones. Perhaps drag Chukd around as well if he's up for it. Would be fun.

Edited by Wallaby

Kenny that looks alright. I can picture you having a great day and strutting with chest out to the bar and sitting up on the balcony. :D

Night golf too. No rest for you. :)

Very expensive to play those other courses in Phuket, especially when you consider the wages they would pay the locals.

If you get yourself to Brisbane sometime or when I next go to Thailand (though I'm no fan of Phuket) I'll shout you a game on one of the really good ones. Perhaps drag Chukd around as well if he's up for it. Would be fun.

Sounds good, let me know how you get on at that fantastic looking golf course, mind them snakes you only want birdies lol

I only play one course and that is Phunaka, 9 hole you play twice, http://www.phunakagolf.com/ God I would love to be able to play a course like the one you will be playing soon, here on Phuket golf is way out of my reach, cheapest will cost you 4500 bht going up to over 6000 bht crazy prices!! but this is tourist ville and the prices reflect it. the par 4 8th can also be played as a par 5 it is 526 yds... Phunaka at the moment costs me 1000 bht including caddy fee but not the tip of 200 bht.

Have you tried the Navy Course in Taplamu, Khao Lak ? It's only about 45 mins North of Phuket, I don't remember the exact green fee, but it's way cheaper than Phuket prices. I'm sure they have sport days a couple of days a week, and annual memberships for around 10 - 15k per year, a quick google search should reveal all. Plus you'll get to play 18 different holes :D

Have you tried the Navy Course in Taplamu, Khao Lak ? It's only about 45 mins North of Phuket, I don't remember the exact green fee, but it's way cheaper than Phuket prices. I'm sure they have sport days a couple of days a week, and annual memberships for around 10 - 15k per year, a quick google search should reveal all. Plus you'll get to play 18 different holes :D

I have played Tablamu many times, normal green fee there is 1600 bht but my mate works for a big hotel in Khao Lak and we get a discount, we play for 1020 bht, played their a couple of weeks ago, it is terrible, the fairways are like a field and the greens no better, lots of the greens have been dug up and replaced with little bit of mowed grass, the caddies are <deleted> useless and every one is miserable their. don't think we will go back!!

I am a member of PEGS(Phuket ex pat golf society, I can get too play the top courses for around 2500 bht but I still think it is over priced!!

Hopefully soon we will be playing Rajjaburni Dam course which is just out side Surat Thani, 600 bht for 18 holes and have been told as good as Blue Canyon, bring it on!!!

Edited by kenny999

In fact here you go http://www.tublamugolf.com/en/main.html

Green fees are 1600, but I'm sure Mondays & Fridays are sport days and its around 500. Yearly foreigner membership is 20k then it's 300 baht a game...

I have played Tablamu many times, normal green fee there is 1600 bht but my mate works for a big hotel in Khao Lak and we get a discount, we play for 1020 bht, played their a couple of weeks ago, it is terrible, the fairways are like a field and the greens no better, lots of the greens have been dug up and replaced with little bit of mowed grass, the caddies are <deleted> useless and every one is miserable their. don't think we will go back!!

I am a member of PEGS(Phuket ex pat golf society, I can get too play the top courses for around 2500 bht but I still think it is over priced!!

Ok - sounds like its a crap hole then :lol: last time i played it was pre-tsunami and whilst it was never great I always thought it represented decent value for money. Obviously things have changed since then !

In fact here you go http://www.tublamugo...om/en/main.html

Green fees are 1600, but I'm sure Mondays & Fridays are sport days and its around 500. Yearly foreigner membership is 20k then it's 300 baht a game...

I was told sport day was Monday and cost 1070 bht, if you are right and it is 500 then I suppose that is okay for a farm field lol 45 mins from Phuket try over 2 1/2 hours on my 125cc Suzuki Skydrive!! it's a trek!!

<br>
<br>
<br>Just when this thread had moved on to something interesting...................<br><br>Chuckd, to give you the short correct answer to your actual query........the club should naturally be decending and hit the ball on the downward arc.  So yes, you do hit down on the ball.<br>
<br>Physically, you dont. The swing arc dictates that the ball is struck on the way down, but the forward motion and the loft of the face dictates that you CANT strike the ball above the equator. Other than that I agree, despite most hackers actually scooping the ball rather than releasing the club.<br>
<br><br>So what part of 'naturally descending' did you not understand.<br><br>You just like to be difficult don't you.<br><br>If I wished to be a pedantic prick as well I could say.... well the swinging of the club is a physical act, the swing arc is caused by that physical act, the club is descending when it hits the ball because of that physical act, therefore you are physically hitting down on the ball.<br><br>Or I could retort with............well you don't physically hit up on the ball.<br><br>But that would be just boorish and argumentative and uncalled for so there is no need to say it.<br><br>Simple question, simple answer.  You don't hit the ball on the up, you hit it on the down.  Whether you wear shorts with long socks or have a long fingernails is not going to change that answer.<br>
Speaking about argumentative....

The issue was about hitting the top quadrant of the ball, claimed by Greg Norman. He is wrong. You cant hit the top quadrant unless you lean the shaft forward at least the same angle as the loft of your club, plus one degree. Period.

I dont think anyone has ever denied that you hit the ball on the way down with your club (or at least SHOULD doing 99.9% of the cases).

Edited by Forethat

I would be happy to meet with Wallaby and Kenny for a round. I would even be pleased to meet with Forethat to see if he is as full of hot air on the course as he is on the internet.

I'm just joking, FT. Everybody believes you play with the pros and really know the game of golf.

Having said that, exactly where do you strike the ball? Is it the upper quadrant, lower quadrant or the middle quadrant?

I am confused now and can only see scooping the ball if I hit it in the lower quadrant and blading the ball if I hit it in the middle quadrant. In fact it would seem to me if I hit the ball in the lower quadrant, then I must strike the big ball before the little ball to make this possible.

Please help me. After playing the game only 50 years I am now confused. :wacko:

PS: If you have already explained this before, simply point me to the proper post (they are numbered so you can just mention the number) and I will seek the knowledge myself. Thank you for your patience with a senior citizen. :wai: