About Time Embassys Did Their Job

oldsailor35

I am sick of stories of tourists getting ripped off by tuk tuk and jetski operators ! Why in the hell don't the embassies of Germany, England and Australia get off their lazy backsides and do something about it. They should have a big push to warn all tourists to be very wary when using these operators and even bycott them. Until they do, in my opinion these embassies are shirking their duties and just looking after themselves in this "cushy" posting !

Here we go again........... there is about a 1000 threads on this!!!! it's all very boring to read about now.

JH

mmmmmmmmmmmm yep, but thats due to all the boring negative readers in here, with their "mai pen lai" attitude. When they have been here a while some start to think a little like the Thais and then 'nothing' happens !

Here we go again........... there is about a 1000 threads on this!!!! it's all very boring to read about now.

JH

mmmmmmmmmmmm yep, but thats due to all the boring negative readers in here, with their "mai pen lai" attitude. When they have been here a while some start to think a little like the Thais and then 'nothing' happens !

Not negative just realistic. Tell you what, you go out on your little crusade to change it all and let us all know how you get on....good luck - lol.

JH

These embassies are not the tourist police. They exist primarily because of business between Thailand and their home country. Tourism is of no concern. Hey, just look at how much they charge you at the US Embassy for the simplest tasks.

I believe most view the reasoning behind diplomatic missions basic existence as a benign and benevolent one.

Far from this, as a country's representative, they to tend to be indifferent towards their own respective citizenry.

These embassies are not the tourist police. They exist primarily because of business between Thailand and their home country. Tourism is of no concern. Hey, just look at how much they charge you at the US Embassy for the simplest tasks.

I believe most view the reasoning behind diplomatic missions basic existence as a benign and benevolent one.

Far from this, as a country's representative, they to tend to be indifferent towards their own respective citizenry.

Exactly, try the acid test; get yourself locked up in some hellhole, on obvious blatant bogus charges, and see how quick your respective embassy/foreign office puts pressure to get you out……………..They are way too busy pushing trade……….You will get no help for fear of upsetting any possible deals to be had. The only time you would get help is when public opinion, (back home) threatens a possible re-election, or give major adverse publicity.

Whilst I agree Embassies can do better to help their citizens in many respects I also think those same citizens could do a lot to help themselves more. I'm always amazed by the lack of knowledge, awareness, and naivety displayed by tourists. A little bit of reading or Google works wonders....mind you if they did that they probably wouldn't be in Phuket to be caught out in the first place :whistling: