Honda Bros 650

KRS1

I found this absolutely stunning Honda Bros 650, that im considering for 59k baht, but don't know anything about this model at all. Is it reliable, gas guzzler, problematic etc...?

It's an invoice bike though, so what's the scoop on invoice bikes these days? They still being targeted? and what's the deal with registration and taxes with invoice bikes? Anyone know?

thanks

Edited by KRS1

The Bros 650 is a great little sports bike, I did many enjoyable K,s on mine in the 3 years I owned one in Chiang Mai.

They were sold in the US and Canada as the Honda Hawk and are a real enthusiasts bike with their own racing class .

Many owners swapped the front ends for Suzuki twin disc brake assembly,s for better handling and performance.

Mine had a recycled green book when I bought it ,so I am unsure of the Pro,s and Con,s of invoice bikes.

what year? they must be old by now had a friend with one maybe 20 years ago, early 90s anyway, and that was second-hand; or maybe they made them longer in Japan/Asian market?

If it is 20 years old . . . any bike that age there may be issues with parts if needed, though don't think they were an overly complex engine; problems may lie in what sort of (ahem) 'maintenance' it has had over the years.

Thats why im interested in it, not overly complex and fairly abundant parts that can be swapped over from other bikes like the Steed (thanks mbox) and can apparently take a cam from an Africa Twin for better performance. V-twin 58 horsepower sounds good to me, Invoice doesn't though.

I think its a great candidate to get streetfightered out.

Do you guys know the gas mileage and fuel tank capacity?

badassbike.jpg

some info here - says tank is just 12 litres, then helpfully switches to imperial for a fule consumption of 46.6 mp/g ? what's that km/l?

note what they say about the speedo

we had our doubts about speedo accuracy, so we tested it at an indicated 30,50 and 70mph, getting actual readings of 30.5,44.0 and 60.5mph respectively. At top speed, the needle was virtually off the scale at over 190km/h (118mph) but according to the radar, 107mph was the best we could manage, and the result was the same with headwind or tailwind.

Nice bike. I'm not sure how it is with invoice bikes now, but a few years ago a Thai friend who was into restoring vintage bikes warned me about if one of the BIBs fancy your bike and you don't have a book it's time to say bye-bye to it. I remember going around the city once with him while he was driving one of his works of art. When we went through one of the BIBs collection points they sure gave him a hard time since one of them fancied his ride even when he showed them the bike's book. They didn't even bother one of the other guys in the group who was driving without a Thai license (his license from home had also expired).

BTW those BIBs sure like classic bikes. However the last time I got halted at one of those "c-points" I had to listen to one of them brag and go on and on about his Hayabusa and how we was getting an R1 soon. With his salary I wonder how he got his Hayabusa and how he is going to get an R1. I pity the guy with an invoice R1 he comes across. :cheesy:

Edited by RED21

I had its brother with a shaft drive. The engine is bullet proof and lovely but not as exciting as an Italian made twin. ** With regards to "invoice only", there got to be two of those. Please check the GT Rider forum.

I bought a bike a month ago from a Thai owner. Man, I'm getting to meet all the bike shops in Nan. Some of them have scary ideas about "improvising" using parts from other bikes etc.

When was the bike imported?

Getting it completely legit won't be worth it as you could buy a new bike built in Thailand when - and if - you are done. No EFI means trouble with the emissions test etc. etc. And I hear they love letting folks fail that one for a repeat payment of nearly 30,000 Baht.

Someone will share how much he paid to get a Green Book and how many months it took and the affect it had on his hair turning grey with sorrow for the grave.

Chris

I had its brother with a shaft drive. The engine is bullet proof and lovely but not as exciting as an Italian made twin. ** With regards to "invoice only", there got to be two of those. Please check the GT Rider forum.

I bought a bike a month ago from a Thai owner. Man, I'm getting to meet all the bike shops in Nan. Some of them have scary ideas about "improvising" using parts from other bikes etc.

When was the bike imported?

Getting it completely legit won't be worth it as you could buy a new bike built in Thailand when - and if - you are done. No EFI means trouble with the emissions test etc. etc. And I hear they love letting folks fail that one for a repeat payment of nearly 30,000 Baht.

Someone will share how much he paid to get a Green Book and how many months it took and the affect it had on his hair turning grey with sorrow for the grave.

Chris

P.S.: At 1.73 meters, I had frequent cramps in my calf muscles, forcing me to stand up on the pegs. You better be shorter - or else...

Well im 1.72 :D

Just pondering the viability of getting it, if it was 35k id get it just to mess around with, but 59k without a book is starting to push it. I've found a book for an 'NCxxxxx' vin number but i need a book for an 'RCxxxxx' vin number.

I love the 650 BROS, or "Hawk" as it was called in North America. Very nice bike but a bit long in the tooth these days. Very reliable in their day but god only knows how many KM are actually on the bike at this point. Back in the day I used to see guys passing sport bikes on anything twisty with the BROS. Lightweight, narrow body, excellent suspension (for its day). Most importantly, a nice V-twin naked bike that looks, sounds and behaves different from your ubiquitous inline 4 full faired bikes. If you think you can get a plate on it, I would go for it.

Yes, its the ugly,mutated nakedness that i like about it, like no other !

A naked sports bike with exposed polished alloy frame and single side swingarm rear was way before its time in 1988 when it was released.

Perhaps you should look at a Lifan Cross 200 for about 47k if you are into offroad as the Bros is certainly not suited for that application. plus the Cross can be road registered.

Yes, its the ugly,mutated nakedness that i like about it, like no other !

A naked sports bike with exposed polished alloy frame and single side swingarm rear was way before its time in 1988 when it was released.

Perhaps you should look at a Lifan Cross 200 for about 47k if you are into offroad as the Bros is certainly not suited for that application. plus the Cross can be road registered.

Do you work for Lifan Sales Dept ? :D hes looking at a 650cc naked streetbike because he needs more power than a cbr 150 and you tell him to consider a 200cc chinese dirt bike with knobbly tires ? :rolleyes: