Speeding Ticket On A Thai Holiday

qpgwmh

Hello,

When on holiday in Thailand in May I was camera'd doing in excess of the speed limit. I've only just learnt this as the car rental company have emailed me to ask for bank card details in order to debit 1000THB. I have the police report, a copy of my rental documents and official image as an attachment so I'm not worried about it being a scam.

Should I pay it?

Morally, yes - of course. But might it come back to haunt me if I do not? I travel to Thailand each year with my Thai wife.

Many Thanks

Should I pay it?

Morally, yes - of course. But might it come back to haunt me if I do not? I travel to Thailand each year with my Thai wife.

I think you have your answer

In your future trips the $30USD you tried to avoid could end up costing you much more.

Yes, pay, not so much "morally" as it could be that the Thai car rental agency might, just might, bad mouth you to their brethren if they get stuck paying the ticket.

Just be happy you didn't get stuck with the moral dilemma of having to choose between paying a real Thai traffic cop a baht 200 bribe, and paying a paper ticket at the station if you declined.

Mac

Yes, pay, not so much "morally" as it could be that the Thai car rental agency might, just might, bad mouth you to their brethren if they get stuck paying the ticket.

Just be happy you didn't get stuck with the moral dilemma of having to choose between paying a real Thai traffic cop a baht 200 bribe, and paying a paper ticket at the station if you declined.

Mac

DON'T PAY, Then keep looking over your shoulder, what goes around comes around, is IT really worth the worry/hassle, hey in the UK it would be £60 PLUS three points on your license, for 1000 baht its a result mate

Should I pay it?

I think you have your answer

In your future trips the $30USD you tried to avoid could end up costing you much more.

Highly unlikely, as records are abhorrently kept [in practice] and black-listing is unheard of.

Reminds me of my UK pal, went on a motoring holiday in the USA about 30 years ago. Speeding in a Firebird got nicked, but didn't know, by a Police Airplane. Months later got a letter from the USA Embassy in UK to pay the fine or else :shock1:.

...or else.

Yes, the definitive criminal act.

Vehicular speeding.

Reminds me of my UK pal, went on a motoring holiday in the USA about 30 years ago. Speeding in a Firebird got nicked, but didn't know, by a Police Airplane. Months later got a letter from the USA Embassy in UK to pay the fine or else :shock1:.

...or else.

Yes, the definitive criminal act.

Vehicular speeding.

At least they follow it through eh. :)

and black-listing is unheard of.

Wrong. Just ask my wife, she managed to get on one. :whistling:

//edit - unless you mean immigration black listing, than not likely. However fiance black listing or the ability to rent again may be an issue.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Just a thought but do you rent from the same company every trip and do they know you? if so ask them to pay the fine, keep the receipt, put on your account and you will settle up on your next trip. NO way would I give any Thai company however well intentioned my card details over the internet. Does your wife not have a Thai bank account that would let her pay into the company's account?

Just my thoughts.

going out on a limb here, but could you send a 1000baht note throught the post by registered mail to the company office? add an extra 100 to cover their costs? just a thought ...

I wouldn't pay like that, you'll have to pay import if done thought DHL...........Cost 5000 Baht!

<deleted> them! are you coming back to Thailand? 1000 Baht...Ha ha what were you driving... A rocket sled? If you intend to come back...........Pay, if not, let them cram it!

You stated that you have a copy of the Police report, rental agreement and photo of the offence.

Go to the Police Station, pay the B1000 fine, get a receipt from the Police to say you paid the fine, make photo copies of all the documents including the receipt from the Police and take it to the Car Hire Company. Tell them you paid the fine to the Police and give them a photo copy of everything.

Make sure you keep a copy of everything yourself.

End of problem.

^ never heard of fraud? rolleyes.gif

there is NO official Thai speeding ticket set at 1000bt - not one. rolleyes.gif

Well the official price starts at 400b. we do not know if the contract had provisions to charge a processing fee if this happened. I would have thought it would have.

But saying that i do not know of any road in Thailand that has a 130kmh speed limit. ONLY road that i can think of that is possible is the motorway passed Swampy to Chonburi.

PS.,. OZMADE .The op is not in Thailand now.

Edited by thaicbr

Well the official price starts at 400b. we do not know if the contract had provisions to charge a processing fee if this happened. I would have thought it would have.

But saying that i do not know of any road in Thailand that has a 130kmh speed limit. ONLY road that i can think of that is possible is the motorway passed Swampy to Chonburi.

PS.,. OZMADE .The op is not in Thailand now.

His wife is Thai and they visit every year. I presume to see her family.

Have them pay the bill and get the receipt.

Igot caught speeding near bangkok on freeway and yes i got fined 1000 baht also... so what they say is true..I got pulled over and he said 1000 baht fine and you can come inside and look at the camera if you want.. I declined and pait it

Yes there is. Been done twice this year on the Kanchanapisek rd. Both by camera and sent through the post, with snap-shot included. Car is registered to the company I work for and the fine was addressed to the company. They saw the registration and came to me for the money. Was also a 1000 baht fine .:whistling:

Yes there is. Been done twice this year on the Kanchanapisek rd. Both by camera and sent through the post, with snap-shot included. Car is registered to the company I work for and the fine was addressed to the company. They saw the registration and came to me for the money. Was also a 1000 baht fine .:whistling:

I've had the same, 2 tickets with photos etc through the post but only 400 Baht each time. ;)

I've had the same, 2 tickets with photos etc through the post but only 400 Baht each time. ;)

Thats bloody annoying to hear, Had to Thai colleagues fined, both going faster and caught by same camera and their fines were 500, is this triple pricing :lol: