90 Day Check In Farce!

PostmanPat

It wasnt the waiting, hell, I m retired, and as some have said, whats 2 or 3 hours out of the rest of your life.....

I for one am not retired; and have way better things to do with 2-3 hours. Using the right lawyer seems to solve any issues with having to queue at immigration, you don't even have to go there for 90 day reporting :whistling:

The Burmese worker thing is also a problem, those guys seem to make no attempt to get a ticket, they just go straight to the desk AND get done!!!

Well, as stated by others, major problem is the lack of staff. Thai government insisted the Burmese all got passports, but I doubt spent more than five minutes thinking through what that really meant........

My understanding under the old system, where they just had work permits as ID was that immigration didn't get involved.

Edited by Paagai

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasnt the waiting, hell, I m retired, and as some have said, whats 2 or 3 hours out of the rest of your life.....no, it was the blatant queue jumpers waltzing in at 3.45, going straight to the counter with 5 or 6 passports, and knowing exactly what she was doing, then kind of laughing at us poor suckers who had the audacity to, well, queue!!

The Burmese worker thing is also a problem, those guys seem to make no attempt to get a ticket, they just go straight to the desk AND get done!!!

You see visa firms advertised all around that they will renew your year visa for a mere 22,000 baht blah blah.

Seriously, who do you think is getting a slice of these cakes? Hence going straight to the counter and welcomed with open arms.

As for the poor old Burmese workers, they're just scared and doing what they are told........again, who do you think is getting the benefits from dealing with all these people.

C'mon guys it aint rocket science.

I for one am not retired; and have way better things to do with 2-3 hours. Using the right lawyer seems to solve any issues with having to queue at immigration, you don't even have to go there for 90 day reporting :whistling:

You've mentioned before in previous posts you have a lawyer on retainer who handles your Immigration issues.

Care to share with the community how much it costs, and the gentleman's name?

You see visa firms advertised all around that they will renew your year visa for a mere 22,000 baht blah blah.

Seriously, who do you think is getting a slice of these cakes? Hence going straight to the counter and welcomed with open arms.

As for the poor old Burmese workers, they're just scared and doing what they are told........again, who do you think is getting the benefits from dealing with all these people.

Indeed, despite the perk of being able to jump the queue at Immigration every 90 days, being a Burmese sweatshop worker is overrated. It's just not as glamorous as it sounds.

Indeed, despite the perk of being able to jump the queue at Immigration every 90 days, being a Burmese sweatshop worker is overrated. It's just not as glamorous as it sounds.

Did someone say that being a Burmese sweat shop worker is underrated and glamorous?unsure.gif

Did someone say that being a Burmese sweat shop worker is underrated and glamorous?unsure.gif

Perhaps not, but some "retirees" seemed to be expressing significant resentment over the privileges that those Burmese get.

Edited by OriginalPoster

I think your story stinks. I was there yesterday at the exact same time for my 90-day also. When I got my queue card there was also 40 ahead of me. But the numbers went so quickly that I was out of there in less than 20 minutes. A lot of the numbers called were for people that took queue cards then left. Almost every other number was a "no show".

There are always agents approaching the counter with many, many passports. Many of them are Chinese or Burmese. I observed a couple times in the past that these agents don't bother with queue cards. I noticed yesterday that one guy was handling all of them and there were two others handling the queue. I was amazed at how efficient the process was.

Sorry, are you calling me a liar? My story doesnt stink its true, so stop being so rude. I got there at 2.15 and waited over 90 minutes, OK? I am not an idiot, nor a liar, so stop being so damned offensive whoever you are.

My number was 528. When I got there the number was about 775, it went to 800 then started again at 500. At about 515 everything ground to a halt for the reasons I explained in my OP. You obviously werent there exactly same time as me otherwise you would have had the same experience.

I know what you are saying is fact.

It`s all down to the luck of the draw.

At one time, I waited over 4 hours to have my 90 day processed. Like you I saw lots of Burmese type people walking in with big bundles of forms and not bothering to take a ticket.

At other times I`ve been in and out of that place within 10 minutes.

That`s how the cookie crumbles, just luck whether you pick a good day or a bad day to visit Immigration no matter what time you turn up there.

Perhaps not, but some "retirees" seemed to be expressing significant resentment over the privileges that those Burmese get.

OK I get your point now - I feel sorry for the poor buggers,

I wonder what would happen to one them if they thew a farang styled temper tantrum at Immigration?

Doppa if you go once a year for a visa and it takes 3.5 hours........so what! 3.5 hours it's nothing over a year. Jeez probably takes longer to get treated in a UK hospital. 3.5 hours is nothing...once a year.

Why do people brush off inconvenience just because they're in Thailand... a rather defeatist attitude. You may have nothing else better to do than sit with the masses for three hours more than necessary, but we ain't all so blase with our time.

Much like the 90-day reporting. With a bit of luck they'll become overwhelmed and resign to the fact that it is all a bit of a waste of time and petty, thus introducing online reporting... good for all concerned!

• Like 1

the real issue is there isn't enough staff to cope with the numbers, was there today doing my retirement visa 3.5hrs, with lots of burmese etc, employ more people will go a distance to solving the problem, oh and of course go computerised, paper, paper, paper!

Was that with an online appointment?

Doppa if you go once a year for a visa and it takes 3.5 hours........so what! 3.5 hours it's nothing over a year. Jeez probably takes longer to get treated in a UK hospital. 3.5 hours is nothing...once a year.

Why do people brush off inconvenience just because they're in Thailand... a rather defeatist attitude. You may have nothing else better to do than sit with the masses for three hours more than necessary, but we ain't all so blase with our time.

Much like the 90-day reporting. With a bit of luck they'll become overwhelmed and resign to the fact that it is all a bit of a waste of time and petty, thus introducing online reporting... good for all concerned!

Last time I went for my visa it took 3.5 hours or rather 1 hour as the other 2.5 hours were spent shopping and eating in Airport Plaza......once a year, you really call that an inconvenience?

All done in less time than it does to have your car serviced :blink:

The tm.47 form requires your signature. How did she do that?

And so do the photocopies.

The Burmese obviously are part of a cheap work force and they are instructed not to bother with queuing. I would guess it's "a prearranged" with the whiter than white immigration. If it wasn't they'd just be turned away like everyone else.

Edited by uptheos

The Burmese obviously are part of a cheap work force and they are instructed not to bother with queuing. I would guess it's "a prearranged" with the whiter than white immigration. If it wasn't they'd just be turned away like everyone else.

I think the photocopies only require their 'mark'

How do you know they are Burmese?

So LJW, did your housekeeper forge your signature on the TM47 and photocopies?

I said in a previous post that the people I saw milling around were carrying Myanmar passports, but of course that doesn't guarantee they are Burmese.

When I arrived in CM 7 years ago immigration was always half empty and 90 day reporting was done in a different office.

Everything was relaxed.

Now there seem to be twice as many foreigners living in CM ,so it's twice as busy but there have been no increases in staff numbers to cope, and I doubt if there will be.In the next 7 years our numbers will probably double again, then its will be really tough!!

So we have to accept things the way they are :(

You got some inside info on staffing levels in Thai Immigration over the next 7 years? Seems a pi** poor outlook to take. No doubt some poster will will come along and suggest if you don't like it leave.

Doppa if you go once a year for a visa and it takes 3.5 hours........so what! 3.5 hours it's nothing over a year. Jeez probably takes longer to get treated in a UK hospital. 3.5 hours is nothing...once a year

I agree with the Op though about queue jumpers......should have a ticket and 1 ticket one passport/person

excuse me sir, where in my post does it imply i'm moaning, just making a contribution to the original post,and stating i was there for 3.5hrs, would suggest you think before you accuse.

IMO I really don't think immigration give two figs how many people are waiting - it's the way bureaucracy works, the more people in need and the more paper work, the more secure are the jobs and unlikely to get posted somewhere else. Does anyone really think that immigration cares if you camp out all night.....I guarantee they don't lose any sleep. Yes they threw us a crumb with the online schedule, but when I asked the gal who renewed my visa f it makes any difference, she gruffly replied; "not to us, only to you!".

I'm way past sympathy for government workers in Thailand. Most are just (second rate) clerks, with power......and they use it whenever they like. Go look at the land office sometimes and other government agencies, you will see clerks sitting around, on their mobiles, chomping some kanom or chatting to each other, whilst poor Thai's are running around like headless chickens or just stting....sitting, and if you should happen to disturb this process with a question, you'll usually get an abrupt answer.

Khorthoot, khorthoot, wai wai jap.gif

Edited by uptheos

When I arrived in CM 7 years ago immigration was always half empty and 90 day reporting was done in a different office.

Everything was relaxed.

Now there seem to be twice as many foreigners living in CM ,so it's twice as busy but there have been no increases in staff numbers to cope, and I doubt if there will be.In the next 7 years our numbers will probably double again, then its will be really tough!!

You got some inside info on staffing levels in Thai Immigration over the next 7 years? Seems a pi** poor outlook to take. No doubt some poster will will come along and suggest if you don't like it leave.

Doppa if you go once a year for a visa and it takes 3.5 hours........so what! 3.5 hours it's nothing over a year. Jeez probably takes longer to get treated in a UK hospital. 3.5 hours is nothing...once a year

I agree with the Op though about queue jumpers......should have a ticket and 1 ticket one passport/person

excuse me sir, where in my post does it imply i'm moaning, just making a contribution to the original post,and stating i was there for 3.5hrs, would suggest you think before you accuse.

Excuse me sweetie where in my post does it imply you're moaning? Who am I accusing? Bit touchy?

Everything was relaxed.

<deleted> are you on about?

If you read my post properly you would see that I am just pointing out that there are a lot more customers and no more staff, which is why people have to wait longer and that 90 day reporting was done in a different building so the main building was not so busy. What part of that don't you understand?

I'm not complaining, I spend very little time at immigration. ;) So I am not expecting to be leaving any time soon upon your recomendation, not because of this anyway.

Think before you post rubbish next time, the quoted part of your post makes no sense at all, I just can't see my piss poor attitude reflected in what I said :annoyed:

Everything was relaxed.

<deleted> are you on about?

If you read my post properly you would see that I am just pointing out that there are a lot more customers and no more staff, which is why people have to wait longer and that 90 day reporting was done in a different building so the main building was not so busy. What part of that don't you understand?

I'm not complaining, I spend very little time at immigration. ;) So I am not expecting to be leaving any time soon upon your recomendation, not because of this anyway.

Think before you post rubbish next time, the quoted part of your post makes no sense at all, I just can't see my piss poor attitude reflected in what I said :annoyed:

How or why do you think there will be no more staff over the next 7 years? The point you conveniently left out? You not read that? Thats the pi** poor and negative attitude. Read again.

Read my post did i recommend you leave? er no is the answer.

Immigration do a good job in all the circumstances your posts do not help.

When will you all learn, IMO don't want us sweaty farangs bumbling around there office.Asking silly questions getting flustered and generally being western.

Much prefer we break the law send with an agent and they get some tea money.

Simple

Edited by stiggy

I think your story stinks. I was there yesterday at the exact same time for my 90-day also. When I got my queue card there was also 40 ahead of me. But the numbers went so quickly that I was out of there in less than 20 minutes. A lot of the numbers called were for people that took queue cards then left. Almost every other number was a "no show".

There are always agents approaching the counter with many, many passports. Many of them are Chinese or Burmese. I observed a couple times in the past that these agents don't bother with queue cards. I noticed yesterday that one guy was handling all of them and there were two others handling the queue. I was amazed at how efficient the process was.

Sorry, are you calling me a liar? My story doesnt stink its true, so stop being so rude. I got there at 2.15 and waited over 90 minutes, OK? I am not an idiot, nor a liar, so stop being so damned offensive whoever you are.

My number was 528. When I got there the number was about 775, it went to 800 then started again at 500. At about 515 everything ground to a halt for the reasons I explained in my OP. You obviously werent there exactly same time as me otherwise you would have had the same experience.

why don't you post the form to immigration Or send your maid or someone? like most of us do?

I sent my housekeeper down to immigration yesterday at 2:30 with just my passport and nothing else to do my 90 day checkin. She was in and out within 20 minutes :)

I did not sign anything or fill out any paperwork. I don't know about the signature, but I assume hers was good enough since she filled in the paperwork... :)

So LJW, did your housekeeper forge your signature on the TM47 and photocopies?

I have no idea, I was not there, but there were no photocopies to be signed for my 90 day extension,, :)

And my old tm 47 is still in my passport with my signature.

So what is your point now?

We could bitch about the time spent having to apply for a new one-year visa annually. I know that I do.

Or just use a lawyer like I do and the only time spent is taking your passport to them. It comes back a few days later with another one year marriage visa in it. Simples!!!!