Myanmar And Photography Gear...

witold

I am thinking of visiting Myanmar. I would like to go to the more off the beaten path areas, not just Rangoon Mandalay.

My hobby is photography and I have some intimidating looking photo gear. Will my 3lb 70-200 Nikon lens be a problem? I don't want to leave a $2,500 lens behind in some random storage place in BKK.

Are things like dSLRs and bi lenses OK or will they cause me problems?

Not an issue at all. Photographers can't leave their cameras aside.

I'd been to most of SEA, am passion for Photographing. Tell you what I carry including my trekking trip in Sapa N.Vietnam.

2 bodies, 1 Nikon & 1 Canon ( I have my reasons )

1 tripod, 5 lenses and I agree, 18-200mm will be the best.

2 camera bags, 4 batteries, 1 remote shutter plus cleaning kit..................... I don't see any problem. Just go and enjoy. My 2 cents!

My setup is D7000 and my old D80.

35/1.8 and 70-200 vr2.

I have the 18-200 and the quality is just not there compared to my current setup. This lens ends up sitting on the shelf back in the US and I will sell it. when I get back

Good to know this stuff is no problem in Burma. I will either cross from Mae Sai or fly to Mandalay and see where I can go from there.

No problem at all. Took the same 70-200 and several other lenses and FF bodies earlier this year. A 70-200 on a D7000 should be great for candid shots of the locals. You will probably want to go wide at times so take the 35/1.8. In fact, take something even wider if you can because the 35 on a crop body is not wide at all. I found the 14-24/D700 setup to be just right for indoors and 70-200/D700 for outdoors in Bagan. Bagan was awfully dusty so I would imagine off-the-beaten path locations to be equally dusty, so keep lens changes to a minimum. Enjoy.

No problem at all. Took the same 70-200 and several other lenses and FF bodies earlier this year. A 70-200 on a D7000 should be great for candid shots of the locals. You will probably want to go wide at times so take the 35/1.8. In fact, take something even wider if you can because the 35 on a crop body is not wide at all. I found the 14-24/D700 setup to be just right for indoors and 70-200/D700 for outdoors in Bagan. Bagan was awfully dusty so I would imagine off-the-beaten path locations to be equally dusty, so keep lens changes to a minimum. Enjoy.

Yup, I just came from India and everything you said reflects my experience 100%.

35 is often not wide enough. When it works, it really delivers so I like it. But I'm thinking of picking up 24-70/2.8 as my main lens. Price at Pantip is surprisingly very fair compared to US prices.

Edited by witold