Who Loves Mk'S?

AussieTrent

I love MK's  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's so bland, and it's expensive too. Boiled meat and veggies in water, ugh.

yep.. that about sums up my feelings toward MK too. Its also far to fiddly for my liking..

Mrs G, being Thai, of course loves it.. so i have to suffer the place every now & then.

I agree if you don't travel very much to SEA, their Roasted duck is "edible"...... but if you had been to HK, Taiwan, Singapore & Malaysia and ate their Roast Duck, I bet you will not be returning to MK for the duck. Theirs is only a substitute.

I lived in SG 10 years and have traveled all over Asia for many years as part of my job. I love Duck and have eaten it everywhere and I have to admit to LOVING MK Duck.....its the sauce they pour over it that makes it so tasty.

Kids love MK, I like it...wouldnt eat it without the sauce.....we eat there once a month probably.

On the other hand I find the 99b buffets TERRIBLE......

• 2 weeks later...

:whistling:

Your poll needs other choices than "I love it" or "I hate it".

Personally, I would pick a "It's okay, but I'm not enthuseastic" choice.

If I'm going out for Sushi I would pick Oishi over MK.

Better variety and more choice there.

But all that is a personal thing...everybody has their own individual preference in taste and style.

It's just that MK isn't mine.

As for Duck, I've been to little Thai run street-side stalls with a few ricketity tables outside on the street that served absolutely marvelous Duck and Duck soup (broth)...in my opinion much better than MK.

Don't pass up those little Thai food shops, especially if you like Duck, just because they don't have a fancy exterior.

I learned that long ago when I lived on Sukhumvit Soi 38 (at that time even the guide books on Thailand for foriegners mentioned the food stalls on Sukhumvit Soi 38...may no longer be true however).

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Disgusting, boiled and bland.

The only thing I like boiled is my spaghetti and my hot dogs.

When I want to eat at an "cook it yourself-restaurant" I go to the Sukushi chain restaurants, the ones with the BBQ-tables!

Edited by ricku

It's pretty ok. In fact, I ate there only three days ago. Now back in S'pore but I had good impression of the duck! Good stuff! :jap:

The other food items you just dunked into the chilli sauce....so they all tasted almost the same....chilli! I like the chilli sauce though so it gets a pass from me.... but I can think of many other restuarants in Thailand that I would rather dine.

• 4 weeks later...

Your poll needs other choices than "I love it" or "I hate it".

Personally, I would pick a "It's okay, but I'm not enthuseastic" choice.

If I'm going out for Sushi I would pick Oishi over MK.

Better variety and more choice there.

But all that is a personal thing...everybody has their own individual preference in taste and style.

It's just that MK isn't mine.

As for Duck, I've been to little Thai run street-side stalls with a few ricketity tables outside on the street that served absolutely marvelous Duck and Duck soup (broth)...in my opinion much better than MK.

Don't pass up those little Thai food shops, especially if you like Duck, just because they don't have a fancy exterior.

I learned that long ago when I lived on Sukhumvit Soi 38 (at that time even the guide books on Thailand for foriegners mentioned the food stalls on Sukhumvit Soi 38...may no longer be true however).

A man who knows :thumbsup:

I'm not for or against MK, but it can be fun going as a group of young folks. Father hates them, says it's like paying a premium to cook your own food.

Anyone know what kind of tea they serve? That's probably my favorite thing there but I've got no clue what's actually in it. Been told it might be chrysanthemum.

I agree if you don't travel very much to SEA, their Roasted duck is "edible"...... but if you had been to HK, Taiwan, Singapore & Malaysia and ate their Roast Duck, I bet you will not be returning to MK for the duck. Theirs is only a substitute.

I lived in SG 10 years and have traveled all over Asia for many years as part of my job. I love Duck and have eaten it everywhere and I have to admit to LOVING MK Duck.....its the sauce they pour over it that makes it so tasty.

Kids love MK, I like it...wouldnt eat it without the sauce.....we eat there once a month probably.

On the other hand I find the 99b buffets TERRIBLE......

Never tried their Duck which I "aroi"..?? but the bucket of "soop" is dire although the Thais seem to freak out on the stuff,or maybe just the occasion which is fine...mai kwai.

Re the 99bt Ran ahans..Som Pongs...used to be 89..79..69...luv "em.....and the beers almost supermarket price.....

more fat please...hey the coals have gone out......Nong...Nong....more......

• 1 month later...

The problem for me at MK is that every time I have been ( usually with different people) the Thais that I go with have no idea how to cook. Just throwing in the prawns ,pork, vegetables then crack in an egg or two & boil the S**T out of the lot , Uruugh.Small amounts of compatible foods cooked correctly can be good . I like the duck green noodle dish too.

The TGF likes to go there. I have discovered that the food makes me ill, so a good excuse not to go there again. Generally the food is overpriced and lacks flavour, for the soup components anyway. The dim sum is Ok for reheated mass produced material. The duck always seems to come out cold and greasy, the pork is not bad though.

Overall would rather go to a proper Thai BBQ place which is a lot better value and certainly better tasting.

Cheers

• Like 1

the soup that came free with kao man kai at roadside taste way better than the soup at mk. the prices arent that bad if isnt for that pathetic portion. dimsum are nice, but so are those ready to cook dim sum available in tesco.

i grew up in singapore, roasted ducks are okay in food courts, market and restaurant, braised and roasted duck are widely available over there, so its harder to find a proper one. the one to seek for are authentic hongkong roasted style or beijing roasted duck, simply heavenly, but im certain you can even find better ones in thai but for sure not in mk/

talking about ducks, anyone else tried roasted goose and pigeon in hongkong? amazing stuff

Love it.

Love the meats n vegies and the dim sum.....then the soup after its all done and gone......duck is ok, bbq pork nice, beef stew excellent...

I would think/hope being the size they are that they put effort into their sourcing of produce...whereas those 99b joints just take whatever is left over from the growers......you think they do not take some harsh chemicaled produce that was near near by insect invasion if the grower had not soaked it in poison ??....then they offload it to the 99b joints cheap to at least cover costs.

Only issue with MK is it is getting expensive now for what it actually is.

I have yet to find a REAL Pho broth in Thailand. Same issue, it's a complex recipe and it takes hours to create the broth. Not part of Thai food culture which is QUICK QUICK. Also Ramen broth traditionally a complex process to create. Not available at Oishi. I reckon there must be some places to get REAL Japanese style Ramen broth at least in Bangkok though, right?

http://www.vietworld...oodle-soup.html

Viet Pho noodles? Yea,could never find a gud bowl myself! Did have a gud bowl for 1$ in PP. Vientiene had a gud heavily MSG laced bowl for a little over a dollar. Taste was ok and got a gud buzz to boot!

Jap ramen should be relatively easy to find. There is a Jap owned hotel with a bt139ish breakfast buffet on the same soi as Foodland off of Suk that has pastic displays of ramen. I imagine that they would do a an okie bowl! Never tried it.

• 5 weeks later...