Back In The Ukkr

paulfromphuket

Oh my god, due to family business I find myself back in the( united kingdom of kinda rubbish), why people would want to live here completlely boggles my mind.

It has been 4 years since my last trip home and I thought it was crap then, however it's got worse.

6 pounds and 60 pence for a packet of cigs, 10 quid for 3 pints in a pub that you have to go out side to smoke in the rain and wind with.

speed camaras every few miles to make sure you stay at 30 miles an hour, shit the crappy little car I rented did 30 in 4th without my foot on the pedal.I expect to get a ticket.

a pub meal can not be had for less then a tenner and they are shit, even a razor and some foam cost 8 pounds!

no wonder this country is having riots,

I have to arrange to sell a property, my mothers house, she paid 1500 pounds for it 40 years ago and now its valued at 125,000. crazy, no wonder the counrty is f ked up. young people are screwed, the banks are having a great time apart from thre default payments from those whom can not afford the rat trap.

Can't wait to come home to Thailand, has it's faults but oh my budda I can live with them.

the only plus I have seen is a average bottle of wine is quite cheap, well i am happy to pay the Thai price!

back on monday can't wait.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I last went home to Australia in 2007 and i hated it and doubt i'll ever return.

It was so quiet and boring, no noisy motorbikes,no road side fires or wondering packs of street dogs and the Sydney CBD shopping closes at 7pm and looks like a ghost town.

Crappy Thai food that a Thai wouldn't eat and 100 times the price.

Thailand has it's flaws but i like the fact it isn't a nanny state and it always seems to be a hive of activity somewhere.

Funny how the English really bag their own country. Actually I quite like England. Beautiful scenery, great pubs, history and culture and one of the world's great cities, London. And at the moment cheaper than Australia. Sure it has its downsides, my biggest bugbear being the weather there. But as far as costs go, traffic hassles and rules, its not much different from other western countries.

I am actually thinking of doing a bicycle tour over there for month in the summer just travelling back roads and staying in country pubs. No big cities or tourist traps

10 quid for three pints is under 500baht.

Pub Meal for a tenner is also under 500baht (How much is it in Robin Hood these days?)

I went back a few months ago for a family bereavement, I found some things cheaper and some more expensive. Shoes were cheaper, mind you I was shopping at Clarks Village in Street. I thought breakfasts were expensive, and some clothes as well.

Not all of us do. (bag UK)

It has its fair share of good or bad and if forced to choose between the Kingdoms I would choose the cold rainy one. However Thailand is wonderful and i feel very privileged to be (for the most part) welcomed and able to live and work here.

Edited by Kernow86

It has been 4 years since my last trip home and I thought it was crap then, however it's got worse.

6 pounds and 60 pence for a packet of cigs, 10 quid for 3 pints in a pub that you have to go out side to smoke in the rain and wind with.

speed camaras every few miles to make sure you stay at 30 miles an hour, shit the crappy little car I rented did 30 in 4th without my foot on the pedal.I expect to get a ticket.

a pub meal can not be had for less then a tenner and they are shit, even a razor and some foam cost 8 pounds!

a drunk smoker complaining about not being able to afford his lifestyle that is all about annoying normal people and giving them cancer. Then complaining about the country protecting their citizen from crazy drivers(unlike here) and then complaining about cars with good engines(which we do not have here)

sigh. thailand always attracks the best of the best. :rolleyes:

UK is Big brother with a vengance........we all know about cameras, police, tax office and council checking Facebook, Friends reunited and the DVLA for anything...pricewise, Thailand is now expensive due to the exchange rate, OK, can get a beer Chang for 40 baht but how much is a pint of Cider in Junceylon..240 Baht, thats over 6 quid a pint........Try Wetherspoons pubs, still get a decent beer for under 2 quid and a good meal starts at 4.99..........in all Thailand is better, we know that but it aint cheap anymore!!!

a drunk smoker complaining about not being able to afford his lifestyle that is all about annoying normal people and giving them cancer. Then complaining about the country protecting their citizen from crazy drivers(unlike here) and then complaining about cars with good engines(which we do not have here)

sigh. thailand always attracks the best of the best. :rolleyes:

FREEDOM OF CHOICE.........was the cornerstone of western civilization until people like you imposed their will....... DRUNK? the man likes a beer...good luck....GIVING CANCER?.......don't sit near him.....and if you drive a car with a good engine...or a bad one.... you are releasing more carcinogenics in a 1KM journey that a 100 smokers on a nicotine gang bang....NANNY go home....this is the land of the free......and if you are the best of the best.......USED TO WORK FOR THE G.L.C methinks.....

Funny how the English really bag their own country. Actually I quite like England. Beautiful scenery, great pubs, history and culture and one of the world's great cities, London. And at the moment cheaper than Australia. Sure it has its downsides, my biggest bugbear being the weather there. But as far as costs go, traffic hassles and rules, its not much different from other western countries.

I am actually thinking of doing a bicycle tour over there for month in the summer just travelling back roads and staying in country pubs. No big cities or tourist traps

Sounds like a good plan forget the tourist traps and go where your legs take you the UK has a lot to offer i am sure you will have a good time.

Sounds like a good plan forget the tourist traps and go where your legs take you the UK has a lot to offer i am sure you will have a good time.

pack some good wet weather gear and take lots of money, yes it's darn pretty here but so is Thailand, just walked back from the pub 2 pints only so no I am not a drunk but I am fking cold.

the fish and chips are good however.

I'll be spending some time in the UK next month. I'll be traveling around visiting old friends but this will definitely be my last visit.

The last time I went to the UK was 5 years ago, I could have stayed for a month but after 10 days I'd had enough. Cameras everywhere, surly foul-mouthed spotty Herberts on the street corners, surly foul-mouthed teenage mothers too, kids hanging around outside off-licences asking people to buy alcohol for them, ridiculously exorbitant prices for beer, fish'n chips etc. Plummeting educational standards.....I could go on and on.

The only redeeming thing was that I could get a decent meat and potato pie (oops! sorry, I'm supposed to say potato and meat pie according to the mongs in Brussels). Sad to say I don't like my birth country anymore.

I'll be heading back to Phuket with a sigh of relief. I read all the trolls on TV banging on about 'why would anyone visit Phuket'. I'll tell you why - PATONG is not PHUKET!!

Get off your moaning ar*es, take your biased blinkers off and have a real look around this beautiful island and meet the real Thais, the smiling, open hearted, generous ones. I assure you, there's a lot more of them than there are Tuk Tuk and jet-ski louts.

It's about time the moaners applied some perspective. :wai:

In my home town I could not believe that hardly anyone really spoke English, seemed the whole of Poland had moved across.

I loved having Fish and Chips, a home cooked Sunday Roast and a few other things.

But I was happy to be back here in Thailand, but will be visiting Blighty again next year in April.

Visited England last year,the first time in 9 yrs, found some prices to be lower than in Thailand,within a few hours I had stopped for lunch just outside Oxford,had a buffet lunch,beef/yorkshire pud etc, all the

trimmings £3.50 also during my visit £1.55 for a pint,many things cheaper.Having said that could not waite to return to Thailand, found England to be depressing,prefare to be a 2nd class resident in

Thailand then a 2nd class citizen in my home country.

I have to go next month, last time was 3 years ago.

Even then everything in the OP was prevalent, not looking forward to this trip!

Not too worried about the costs, take enough cigs for the trip, and the exchange rate is in my favour right now.

I am lucky, my parents live in a small seaside town in Devon, but even there you have the spotty foul mouthed herbets, and big brother cameras at every street corner. I just don't like being told what I can and can't do, where, and at what times. I was always a rebel at school, I think therein lies the attraction of Thailand, a definite un-nanny state!

And everyone is so <deleted> miserable there.

I did some work in Alaska earlier this year, so should be OK for cold weather gear :lol:

Visited England last year,the first time in 9 yrs, found some prices to be lower than in Thailand,within a few hours I had stopped for lunch just outside Oxford,had a buffet lunch,beef/yorkshire pud etc, all the

trimmings £3.50 also during my visit £1.55 for a pint,many things cheaper.Having said that could not waite to return to Thailand, found England to be depressing,prefare to be a 2nd class resident in

That about sums it up for me as well you can get some things in the Uk cheaper than in Thailand supermarket clothes in the UK are just as cheap maybe even cheaper for some items but in general to live in the UK and drive a car and want to be warm in the winter your old age pension is not enough.

I went to my local shop yesterday just about the time the school's are coming out and standing outside the shops was a young mother with 2 young children of school age and she was talking to another mother in Polish now trust me i am all for people moving a better a life i have been about a bit myself but it's crazy that priority about housing and social needs is given to others from the eastern bloc country's that are flooding into the the UK , and the young who where born and bred here have to wait a long time to get a house or a flat and i will say again i am all for anybody who wants to move to another country for a better life and good luck to them but there is something wrong , of course rules are rules and they have to get big help from the goverment but what about the old age pensioner sitting in the cold house house with 3 jumpers on.

That about sums it up for me as well you can get some things in the Uk cheaper than in Thailand supermarket clothes in the UK are just as cheap maybe even cheaper for some items but in general to live in the UK and drive a car and want to be warm in the winter your old age pension is not enough.

I went to my local shop yesterday just about the time the school's are coming out and standing outside the shops was a young mother with 2 young children of school age and she was talking to another mother in Polish now trust me i am all for people moving a better a life i have been about a bit myself but it's crazy that priority about housing and social needs is given to others from the eastern bloc country's that are flooding into the the UK , and the young who where born and bred here have to wait a long time to get a house or a flat and i will say again i am all for anybody who wants to move to another country for a better life and good luck to them but there is something wrong , of course rules are rules and they have to get big help from the goverment but what about the old age pensioner sitting in the cold house house with 3 jumpers on.

No - surely not TWO women talking in Polish! :o After all, farangs here never talk in English....

I agree with parts of your post and find the UK far worse (for various reasons) than Phuket, but it all depends on one's priorities.

Some people move here for a short while and hate it - others decide the good side outweighs the bad side.

Get a grip - everybody to their own.

$350 a day for me and Thai Gf to visit my family in Australia for 10 days....one interesting thing to note was the flights...i discovered that if I flew on the same days from Australia to Thailand return it was 2500 dollars, but from Thailand to Australia it was 1900 for the both of us.....I actually did a lot of experimenting with different flights and companies.....allways on the same days the flights were 5 or 600 extra, legalised extortion and double pricing in my books .

so that was a $5000 holiday including flights, hotels and hire cars took up most of the dough, bring on Phuket prices any day!rolleyes.gif

(also the food,people and weather is heaps better than Aus, geez it was boring!!)

Had a buffet lunch,beef/yorkshire pud etc, all the

trimmings £3.50 also during my visit £1.55 for a pint

Jesus! I haven't seen a pint for that price for about 10 yrs! It's between £3-4 where I live. In a witherspoons you can get a pint for about £2.50 but that is Sunday-thursday.

You can't compare farang food prices in the UK to Thailand. It's all about supply and demand. You can get a Pad Thai for 40bt in Los but it's about £8 in the UK.

Jesus! I haven't seen a pint for that price for about 10 yrs! It's between £3-4 where I live. In a witherspoons you can get a pint for about £2.50 but that is Sunday-thursday.

You can't compare farang food prices in the UK to Thailand. It's all about supply and demand. You can get a Pad Thai for 40bt in Los but it's about £8 in the UK.

My girlfriend would have murdered for a kao tom gung whilst we were on the gold goast...luckily she didnt have to kill anyone...but it was $17 or 527 baht. And that was just a standard thai restaurant....there is heaps there

I moved back here 6 weeks ago. I have just landed a job ferrying engineers to windfarms at £28,000 + £5400 expenses and doing something that I want to do instead of ferrying drunken Russians to crowded Phi Phi every day. Just bought a 5 year old BMW, less than 80,000 miles on it for £5,000. I don't drink much but have found places to buy a pint of decent beers at about £2.50. I have also quit smoking now because I won't pay £6.50 a pack, which is a good thing. Shopping for groceries is a pleasure now and and quite cheap compared to the likes Villa Market and I can get anything that I want pretty much here, I liked Thai food but I just couldn't eat it all the time. I have free health care on the NHS which is exceptional in service. Electronic goods are much cheaper here than in Thailand and they all come with ironclad warranties. What do I miss about Phuket? The weather I guess, but I can afford to go on holiday in the winter now to somewhere that the weather is nice (and it definately won't be Phuket) and the summers are quite nice in the UK without being stifling hot!!! Did I make the right choice moving back, yes and I should have done in bloody sooner!

Edited by pmgthailand

I moved back here 6 weeks ago. I have just landed a job ferrying engineers to windfarms at £28,000 + £5400 expenses and doing something that I want to do instead of ferrying drunken Russians to crowded Phi Phi every day. !

You forgot to mention how much you pay in income tax, and deductions. Apart from the weather that was the other reason I left the UK.