Wagyu Beef

ShopBoy

try the gourmet one food service co.bkk 02-403 3388 they might be able to help,as for the price,you are talking about the best beef in the world i wouldnt like to guess,i would settle for hereford welsh blacks any day,fillet steak aprox £65-75kilo.

by any chance do you know what kind of thai beef they sell from a typical thai morning market ?

i only buy the eye of the loin we know it as sirloin its ok for stews,pies or minced for burgers,needs about 2+hrs braising.if you have a tops supermarket near you try the pen fed or thai premium sirloin or rib eye,325bht-375kilo,the ausi.beef is ok but not worth 900bht kilo

One of my friends have a restaurant, and he orders Australian Waguy for me. He charges me 700 THB pr. kg. for grade 5 to around 3000 THB for grade 1. It is not 100% Waguy, but something like 95%, but the quality is still much better than standard Aussie beef from Tops or Villa! And I have to buy a whole filet, which is around 5 kg, and then cut and freeze it myself.

One of my friends have a restaurant, and he orders Australian Waguy for me. He charges me 700 THB pr. kg. for grade 5 to around 3000 THB for grade 1. It is not 100% Waguy, but something like 95%, but the quality is still much better than standard Aussie beef from Tops or Villa! And I have to buy a whole filet, which is around 5 kg, and then cut and freeze it myself.

Thanks jamora, appreciate your input.

That should be the Wagyu mix breed.

Yes, it's minimum 95% Waguy, but to be honest, I can't tell the difference between 100% and 95%, except for the price :)

But they also have mixed breed raised here in Thailand. My dad-in-law used to buy a big piece for me on a business trip to some province, but I don't know where, or how much it costs! The quality was pretty good, could at least compare to normal Aussie beef. If you are interested, I could give him a call and ask if he can remember where he bought it and how much it costs?

Edited by jamora

Yes, it's minimum 95% Waguy, but to be honest, I can't tell the difference between 100% and 95%, except for the price :)

But they also have mixed breed raised here in Thailand. My dad-in-law used to buy a big piece for me on a business trip to some province, but I don't know where, or how much it costs! The quality was pretty good, could at least compare to normal Aussie beef. If you are interested, I could give him a call and ask if he can remember where he bought it and how much it costs?

It might be the local thai-french beef that are from the Udon Thani area. The local version of Wagyu.

They should be available all at major supermarkets such as villas or tops.

Cheaper to buy it here.

The Thai-French Butchery591/16, Soi Villa (between Soi 33-35),off Sukhumvit Road,Wattana, Bangkok 10110.

Phone: 02 2585087

Do you know what is the lowest grading available on the Aus Wagyu beef ? I am actually doing a feasibility study on a beef business, abit of a learning curve for me at this moment.

Edited by ShopBoy

700 baht for Wagyu??? Sorry but that's not Wagyu for that price. For that price you'll be getting Aussie grass fed beef (at cost price). The Aussie Wagyu starts at about 2,500 - 3,000 baht a kilo for 4/5 score beef when buying at cost.

What do you mean grade 1 to 5??? Beef grades 1-5 is about yield not about quality and only really important when buying very large pieces. Wagyu is graded by marbleing, and goes up to 12 (with 12 being the best). The lowest I've seen is usually about score 4 and would be about 2,500 at cost. A whole fillet of grade 10 Aussie Wagyu is about 25,000 baht.

But as you say, Aussie Wagyu isn't 100% Wagyu, I think all the Aussie Wagyu is cross bred (like the US Wagyu) so it can survive in the Aussie climate, but Wagyu just means 'Japanese Cow' and there are a few different breeds, some better than others.

Your friend is getting you a good deal and if you like the beef then great (the Aussie grass fed is nice), but it's not Wagyu.

700 baht for Wagyu??? Sorry but that's not Wagyu for that price. For that price you'll be getting Aussie grass fed beef (at cost price). The Aussie Wagyu starts at about 2,500 - 3,000 baht a kilo for 4/5 score beef when buying at cost.

What do you mean grade 1 to 5??? Beef grades 1-5 is about yield not about quality and only really important when buying very large pieces. Wagyu is graded by marbleing, and goes up to 12 (with 12 being the best). The lowest I've seen is usually about score 4 and would be about 2,500 at cost. A whole fillet of grade 10 Aussie Wagyu is about 25,000 baht.

But as you say, Aussie Wagyu isn't 100% Wagyu, I think all the Aussie Wagyu is cross bred (like the US Wagyu) so it can survive in the Aussie climate, but Wagyu just means 'Japanese Cow' and there are a few different breeds, some better than others.

Your friend is getting you a good deal and if you like the beef then great (the Aussie grass fed is nice), but it's not Wagyu.

Perfect reply!!

Jagota in Bangkok is the main importer for Wagyu beef.

They get their meat from the best Aussie farm "Security".

Real Wagyu marbeling starts with 5 and gets up to 12.

Gerd

Ok this is something i am not getting at the moment.

There is a yakiniku restaurant offering Aus Wagyu beef eat all you can eat within a 90 minute time frame at 699 baht and 599 baht @ happy hrs.

Assuming the cheapest Aus Wagyu beef starts at 2500/kg as what theseahorse as said.

My questions is, is this restaurant really offering Aus Wagyu beef ?

I very much doubt they are serving Wagyu at that price. If they are, they will be going under very soon.

Lots of people don't seem to understand what Wagyu actually is (restaurants too). I'm guessing that place like the one you mention are just serving a marbled cut of beef and saying it's Wagyu because of the fat content. Just take a look in Fuji supermarket and they have plenty of thinly sliced cuts of beef with a marbleing, but it doesn't mean its Wagyu.

I've even seen on the menu of one of Bangkoks top steak restaurants a Wagyu of lamb - 'Japanese cow' of lamb ?????? Wagyu has a name for itself now and it gets exploited.

I very much doubt they are serving Wagyu at that price. If they are, they will be going under very soon.

Lots of people don't seem to understand what Wagyu actually is (restaurants too). I'm guessing that place like the one you mention are just serving a marbled cut of beef and saying it's Wagyu because of the fat content. Just take a look in Fuji supermarket and they have plenty of thinly sliced cuts of beef with a marbleing, but it doesn't mean its Wagyu.

I've even seen on the menu of one of Bangkoks top steak restaurants a Wagyu of lamb - 'Japanese cow' of lamb ?????? Wagyu has a name for itself now and it gets exploited.

Their menu says wagyu marbled beef over 500 days import Aus. Apprently they are doing quite good and already expended to more locations.

Do you know of any other beef out there available in the market that is well marble to the like of wagyu and low cost. Thanks for any input.

Well, that's how he/their restaurant grades it, and I don't know what the real price is. He does not care about money, but he quoted us a price one night, and that's what he charges friends. I'm sure he rather loose money and stick to the price he told me than quoting a new price and admitting he was wrong! And trust me, it's real Waguy, and it's dam_n cheap! Just as well as he can get wine/booze cheaper than duty free Bkk, delivered at my address! I don't ask questions, I just receive! :)

Well, that's how he/their restaurant grades it, and I don't know what the real price is. He does not care about money, but he quoted us a price one night, and that's what he charges friends. I'm sure he rather loose money and stick to the price he told me than quoting a new price and admitting he was wrong! And trust me, it's real Waguy, and it's dam_n cheap! Just as well as he can get wine/booze cheaper than duty free Bkk, delivered at my address! I don't ask questions, I just receive!

Well you have a very generous friend, he'll be paying 2,500 - 3,000 if its Wagyu.

This thread made me wonder how much Aussie Wagyu is at cost price in Aus, so just mentioned it to a chef friend in Sydney and he says it cost him about 75 AUD a kilo for score 4. So it's 2,500 baht before you pay for it's plane ticket over here.

"The Wagyu Kobe Beef" - also known as " Kobe Beef" is the ultimate Japanese Beef. Wagyu Cattle are raised with pride and care all over Japan, and they provide world class quality beef. Wagyu is strictly graded and sorted info five classes by professionals from the Japan Meat Grading Association from A 1 to A 5. A5 is the highest grade of Wagyu Kobe Beef.

http://www.wagyukobebeef.com/

But it appears from this same site that there is also a beef marbling standard (in addition to the above grading standard) that runs from 1 to 12... See the full image on the web page above...

post-58284-0-97755700-1316058936_thumb.j

Here's a chart that shows how the grading and marbling standards intersect...

post-58284-0-62143100-1316059325_thumb.j

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

They should be available all at major supermarkets such as villas or tops.

Cheaper to buy it here.

The Thai-French Butchery591/16, Soi Villa (between Soi 33-35),off Sukhumvit Road,Wattana, Bangkok 10110.

Phone: 02 2585087

Do you know what is the lowest grading available on the Aus Wagyu beef ? I am actually doing a feasibility study on a beef business, abit of a learning curve for me at this moment.

thanks for that,as the nearest tops is bkk or kk i get my wifes brother to get my meat ,so i will give them a ring,as i have only seen the pen-fed steak and the aus.in tops maybe its thai/french that i have been buying.is that angus steak house still open arround by soi 30 sukamvit rd had a good one there 1990. it was interesting to read the replys about wagyu beef,and one tv memb.buying whole fillets 5kilos that is very big for fillet.i have never come across that size,and i have bought aberdeen angus,texas longhorn and of course welsh blacks.i used to buy all my beef direct from the farm breeders and i could tell them how to cut and prepare,that flippin lot in brussels have spoilt the taste by saying the fat had to be trimmed off and you couldnt buy beef on the bone,what a load of bullocks,keep this topic going. meatboy. ps mrs meat loves a good sirloin with the fat left on

Their menu says wagyu marbled beef over 500 days import Aus. Apprently they are doing quite good and already expended to more locations.

Do you know of any other beef out there available in the market that is well marble to the like of wagyu and low cost. Thanks for any input.

Where is this restaurant?

There seems to be a little confusion as to the grading of beef. Marbling does indeed go from 1-12. This is called the BMS.

However, beef quality is also graded on a scale of 1-5.

Kobe beef is the "genuine" product from Japan. This is from the Tajima-ushi breed of wagyu, and along with Matsusaka and Yonezawa beef, it is considered the best beef in Japan.

While wagyu does mean "Japanese cow," it does not refer to all cattle, only to five recognized breeds.

In the US, wagyu beef is actually a wagyu-angus cross. It is sometimes marketed as "Kobe-like." The most common wagyu ancestry is the Japanese Black and the Kumamoto Red. When raised with beer, I think it tastes pretty much like Kobe, although I find the Matsusaka superior.

In Australia, they also cross-breed, but they do raise 100% wagyu as well. I was watching an Australian food/travel show while in the Philippines, and they visited a Tasmanian ranch where they had 100% Kumamato Reds. While quite good, I find the Australian wagyu not to be on the same level as the Japanese or the US. Of course, that may be because the grade I am buying at Fresh Mart or Villa is not the best. The corned beef I had at the Grand Hyatt Erawan made from Australian wagyu was simply the best corned beef I have had in my life.

Where is this restaurant?

Here you go

That place seems to be offering a local beef and other things buffet for 399 baht, and a Japanese beef and other things buffet for 699 baht, 90 minutes for each... As well as the option of an Asahi beer buffet (all you can drink) for 199 baht along with either of their buffets.

Yes 699 or 599 during certain time and days.

Any meat importer or anyone with good know sound knowledge of the industry could you help to shed some light on this.

How can they manage or remain profitable if they are offering Wagyu beef at this price.

Attached is the menu

post-91729-0-99059100-1316116381_thumb.j

Edited by ShopBoy

Maybe they're importing the beef from the Fukushima area.... ie... the cows are "hot"????

Or, maybe it's "Japanese wagyu beef" imported straight from Isaan.... B)

Under their special promotion menu on their web site (which appears to be old and out of date), they're talking about a Japanese beef special with marbling grade 8-9, which is quite high on the scale of 1-12, and pricing it at 1200 to 1400 baht per kilo -- 120 to 140 baht per 100 grams... And their kobe beef at 850 baht per 100g, or 8500 baht per kilo.

By comparison, I stopped by the Thai-French Butchery shop yesterday near the Villa Market and they're pricing their TF T-bone steaks at 600 baht per kilo...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

That place seems to be offering a local beef and other things buffet for 399 baht, and a Japanese beef and other things buffet for 699 baht, 90 minutes for each... As well as the option of an Asahi beer buffet (all you can drink) for 199 baht along with either of their buffets.

Yes 699 or 599 during certain time and days.

Any meat importer or anyone with good know sound knowledge of the industry could you help to shed some light on this.

How can they manage or remain profitable if they are offering Wagyu beef at this price.

Attached is the menu

maybe its that beef from china wang-yu :whistling:

maybe its that beef from china wang-yu :whistling:

:cheesy:

But seriously you have to give in to the Chinese these days, they have developed a kind of beef called Snow Dragon Beef which is almost identical or close to the Kobe beef also from the Tajamiushi Wagyu breed of cattle.

Alot of high end Japanese restaurant in China are using that as a substitute for Kobe beef.