New Government Makes It Harder For Farangs In Thailand

svenivan

I visited the Amphur office today to to get a stamp and a signature on a certificate for my pension. Certifying that I am still alive.

But no no! Cannot, you must go to your embassy or consulate!

The same guy signed the paper last year without any problem. But now has the new government said that they shall not have this service anymore.

Thank you very much !

:bah::realangry::angry:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry ,why do you need a certificate to prove that you are alive?I am on an old age pension, have never heard of such a document, if indeed that is what it is.I have to go to my Embassy ,to get Stat .Dec. certifying my monthly income,which I then present to Immigration, and then they issue me with a 1 year extension.I have to do this every year. There is NO document that can be issued by your Amphur, that is accepted by Immigration.That has been the law for many,many years. I repeat ,there is NO document issued by your Amphur ,that is acceptable to them. They need ,and will only accept a Stat ,Dec. , from your Embassy, certifying your monthly income,that is of a minimum of B 65,000 per month, or if you have B 800,000 lodged for a minimum of 3? months in a Thai bank account

Edited by afarang

Sorry ,why do you need a certificate to prove that you are alive?I am on an old age pension, have never heard of such a document, if indeed that is what it is.I have to go to my Embassy ,to get Stat .Dec. certifying my monthly income,which I then present to Immigration, and then they issue me with a 1 year extension.I have to do this every year. There is NO document that can be issued by your Amphur, that is accepted by Immigration.That has been the law for many,many years. I repeat ,there is NO document issued by your Amphur ,that is acceptable to them. They need ,and will only accept a Stat ,Dec. , from your Embassy, certifying your monthly income,that is of a minimum of B 65,000 per month, or if you have B 800,000 lodged for a minimum of 3? months in a Thai bank account

Yes, I know that, been here on retirement visa for more than 9 years. But I am from Sweden and now when I got government pension they check every year that I am alive so they not pay out the pension to a dead guy.

<_<:blink::(

Given the levels of corruption in LoS is it any wonder that the Swedish Government would not accept the word of any Thai that you are still breathing? Surely any minor amendment to confirm your ongoing entitlement would come from them?

When a farang dies the BiB must be informed and they, after consulting with a doctor who may well decide that a post mortem should carried out, will ensure that a Death Certificate is issued and that the appropriate Embassy is informed. My understanding is that they will want to take possession of the passport of the deceased, but I have instructed my wife to deliver my passport to the Honorary UK Consul in Pattaya.

I am in receipt of two annuities and a works pension and I have to provide confirmation that I am still making a nuisance of myself every year. My accountant affirms this without charge. My covering letter always makes the point that I rejoice in disappointing them and tells them to keep sending me the monies. On the other hand the UK Government assumes that I will live for ever unless told otherwise. It used to be the case that the Foreign Office would inform the Registry at Somerset House in London but this information was not passed to the Ministry of Work and Pensions or their forebears. I assume that this loophole has now been closed.

I receive a letter each year for my US university pension. In my case, the verification form specifically states it needs witnessed and stamped by the US Embassy or consulate. Previously I was able to use a person of standing, usually the university director where I currently work.

Edited by OccamsRazor

When I read of the life and death miseries of pensioners, I almost feel glad that I will have to work until I die...

No pensioner has ever thanked me for the taxes that I pay.

SC

Why should they?

Sadly, in the countries where I paid tax, state pensions were paid out of current income, rather than earnings on accumulated capital or previous savings, Current pensioners paid, when they were earning, for the pensions of previous generations, while expecting future generations to pay for theirs, This expectation did not take into account changes in actuarial predictions.

SC

But now has the new government said that they shall not have this service anymore.

I would imagine they've got more on their plate. What's the new government going to be blamed for next? The fact that it pissed down with rain yesterday? The fact that Norwich City lost to WBA on Sunday?

Edited by mca

Tough times world wide.

The same guy signed the paper last year without any problem. But now has the new government said that they shall not have this service anymore.

Why would a government provide a service that costs them money when a visitor/guest can

have their needed paper work done by their own govt?

I understand you had it done in the past & that was nice but...A govt... new or otherwise that tries to cut waste does not a bad govt. make IMHO

It does not sound any different than trying to get Thailand to renew your passport.

Edited by flying

You also can confirm that you are alive by getting a stamp from a hospital or a bank.German agencies paying out pensions accept this.

Far cheaper too. My company ask for such proof every 2 years. Local rural hospital charge me 20 Baht.

Why not just go to your Embassy and get them to stamp it.

An obvious option, but expensive.

I think it's free of charge. :)

I hope you are correct, but I cannot see any free "services" on the UK list of fees, other embassies may not charge.

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-thailand/our-services-fee/

Given the levels of corruption in LoS is it any wonder that the Swedish Government would not accept the word of any Thai that you are still breathing?

well . . . we had a former neighbour whose ex-partner took his almost new motorbike with her when they split at the start of this year; some time later he spotted it, unsure of who now 'owned' it he stayed there and didn't try to move it, called the police (he had reported the theft previously) and they impounded it till ownership was confirmed.

Turned out she had been able to get a new green book and have it transferred to her name on basis of a signing declaration saying he had died.

He got the bike back, an instance where the police were helpful, no doubt he was 'alive and kicking'.

Given the levels of corruption in LoS is it any wonder that the Swedish Government would not accept the word of any Thai that you are still breathing? Surely any minor amendment to confirm your ongoing entitlement would come from them?

Swedish government accepts the certificate stampded and signed from social security institution, a notary public, a police authority or a population registration authority.

So it is NOT the Swedish government that have changed.

Why would a government provide a service that costs them money when a visitor/guest can

have their needed paper work done by their own govt?

I understand you had it done in the past & that was nice but...A govt... new or otherwise that tries to cut waste does not a bad govt. make IMHO

It does not sound any different than trying to get Thailand to renew your passport.

It was not free before, I had to pay a fee.

Why not just go to your Embassy and get them to stamp it.

It is a long and expensive way, not everyone lives in Bangkok!

Mods, can we change the title of this, total sensationalisation and misinformation.

It should read "Swedish Governement change requirements for oldies'

Mods, can we find a course for this guy for "Reading AND understanding" please! :blink:

(Swedish government accepts the certificate stampded and signed from social security institution, a notary public, a police authority or a population registration authority.

So it is NOT the Swedish government that have changed.

:o:unsure::huh:

When I read of the life and death miseries of pensioners, I almost feel glad that I will have to work until I die...

No pensioner has ever thanked me for the taxes that I pay.

SC

The ''now'' pensioners paid taxes for the pensioners during their working life, your no different.