General Opinion Of Thai People Among Tourists/Expats?

rudythemonster

Just got back from Thailand after my first 2 week trip there with my girlfriend and we really loved it.

We didn't exactly see a lot of places as we like to take our time. We did Bangkok and Pattaya the first 3 days and then spent the rest of the trip in Kanchanaburi which we liked even more cause it wasn't so touristy.

We are looking to go back again in a few months and the most important reason for that being we are in love with the Thai people. Even though the language barrier greatly limited any sort of real communication, we found them to be extremely hospitable and a cheerful lot.

I never got ripped off the whole trip and I know that's something cause I have traveled a fair bit in lots of not so developed parts of the world like Turkey, North Africa, Bali (I'm currently touring India) and I have had my fair share of lessons learnt. In fact the only time we had a problem in Thailand was when my girlfriend got into a verbal fight with this really drunk German guy in Pattaya who thought Jews were like termites. (She's Jew)

The Thais we had to deal with were all invariably honest and they even went out of their way to make us feel comfortable many times which we don't see a lot in the western world.

I read through a lot of threads and noticed not all expats/tourists feel the same way. I remember one post which went something on the lines 'beneath all the smiles, they have resentment against westerners' and I'm quite curious why they feel so.

What's the general consensus among expats about the Thai people?

I do understand that one of the reasons for all the hospitality is that they want the money to keep coming in which is only fair considering Thailand is a developing nation and it's much harder for people to make a living than in the west.

Does anybody have any arguments against my conclusion that relatively the Thais are culturally and socially and maybe genetically a more amicable lot? I'm sure every country has its share of screwed up people so exceptions aside and as a relative measure, would my statement be true?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My experience with Thais after traveling all over the country is they are friendly people. Certainly in the classic tourist spots there are some who are very mercenary, but for the most part the Thais are friendly and will share whatever they have with someone who treats them with respect. I treat all Thais with respect and a smile... even if I know they are trying to scam me in some small way. I've been helped by Thais or given a drink many times and never asked for anything in return. I'm sure that Parnoid people give off bad vibes that put off Thai people who are very in tune with "face". The people are just one of the reasons why I love Thailand.

I remember one post which went something on the lines 'beneath all the smiles, they have resentment against westerners' and I'm quite curious why they feel so.

Because they're <deleted>.

:lol: ......

OP - two weeks in the sun in Thailand on holiday is very different from living/working here, as to resentment yes they do, its called xenophobia...

I remember one post which went something on the lines 'beneath all the smiles, they have resentment against westerners' and I'm quite curious why they feel so.

:lol: ......

OP - two weeks in the sun in Thailand on holiday is very different from living/working here, as to resentment yes they do, its called xenophobia...

Excellent point. Living and working here is completely different from a short 2 week holiday. With that being said, Ian has a good point. Stay away from the farang ghettos and the Thais are "mostly" great people. As with any culture, there are a few bad apples. But this country is a great place to visit and be a tourist. Especially in off the beaten track areas....as Ian has found out.

Let's keep this thread on topic and above the board. OK???? :jap:

Speaking for myself, I've run into a few Thais over the years that I didn't like, very few, like 3 or 4. Those occasions lasted just a matter of minutes at the most. For the most part, nearly every Thai I know or have met have been very pleasant, good humor, very courteous, and very helpful. There are some farangs who seem to have an endless list of complaints about Thais, but I've always thought they must run into a whole different crowd of people than I do.

....and generally don't have a clue.

Since the mid-80s I was a tourist to Thailand many summers, usually for 7 weeks at a time. I felt sort of like the OP felt.

Then I moved to Thailand as a retiree and stayed for almost 2 years. I began to see a more realistic side of the Thai people you come in contact with on a daily basis.

1. Dealing with stores: Their unspoken motto is, "The customer is always wrong." Even my Thai friends agree with that one. No, you don't know what you want; they know what you want. If you get the product home and it doesn't work, you must have broken it. You don't understand them because you -- a native English speaker -- don't speak good English. You go to buy a DVD player that will play region 1 DVDs. One clerk tells you that none sold in Thailand play region 1, which is not true. Another clerk in the same store tells you that all the DVD players play region 1 DVDs, which is also not true. Both will sell you what you DON'T want for a 15% discount. Need I go on?

2. Dealing with your best Thai friend: Who happens to work for the government in the field of technology. He is having a great deal of difficulty dealing with American and other western nations' software companies, because they don't want to do business in Thailand. He asks you why. You calmly explain that western software companies are wary because they know how much software is ripped off and copied in Thailand (does Microsoft Office really cost only the equivalency of US$5 ?????). You give examples of when you have both walked into the IT plaza up on Phetburi. When you are done, your friend says in response, "You don't love Thailand."

3. You go to a touristy area (for example the area around the Grand Palace and Wat Phra Keo) and multiple times the touts attempt to cheat you...need I count the ways?

4. You go to get your long term visa approved and are quietly told that for money under the table you can be #1 in line...even though there are about 50 who were there ahead of you.

Need I go on?

I'm not saying you don't also meet some wonderful people who are kind and considerate. But the attempts to rip me off...well, more in the 2 years I was there than in the whole rest of my life in the States...and I'm 62 years old.

Most are good in my opinion, but some are really rude, especially in Phuket and Pattaya.

Probably comes down to there personal experiences with tourists, I see some tourists treat them like a piece of dirt.

I am sure most don't really care but there will always be some that take it personally and build up some sort of resentment towards tourists.

Since the mid-80s I was a tourist to Thailand many summers, usually for 7 weeks at a time. I felt sort of like the OP felt.

Then I moved to Thailand as a retiree and stayed for almost 2 years. I began to see a more realistic side of the Thai people you come in contact with on a daily basis.

1. Dealing with stores: Their unspoken motto is, "The customer is always wrong." Even my Thai friends agree with that one. No, you don't know what you want; they know what you want. If you get the product home and it doesn't work, you must have broken it. You don't understand them because you -- a native English speaker -- don't speak good English. You go to buy a DVD player that will play region 1 DVDs. One clerk tells you that none sold in Thailand play region 1, which is not true. Another clerk in the same store tells you that all the DVD players play region 1 DVDs, which is also not true. Both will sell you what you DON'T want for a 15% discount. Need I go on?

2. Dealing with your best Thai friend: Who happens to work for the government in the field of technology. He is having a great deal of difficulty dealing with American and other western nations' software companies, because they don't want to do business in Thailand. He asks you why. You calmly explain that western software companies are wary because they know how much software is ripped off and copied in Thailand (does Microsoft Office really cost only the equivalency of US$5 ?????). You give examples of when you have both walked into the IT plaza up on Phetburi. When you are done, your friend says in response, "You don't love Thailand."

3. You go to a touristy area (for example the area around the Grand Palace and Wat Phra Keo) and multiple times the touts attempt to cheat you...need I count the ways?

4. You go to get your long term visa approved and are quietly told that for money under the table you can be #1 in line...even though there are about 50 who were there ahead of you.

Need I go on?

I'm not saying you don't also meet some wonderful people who are kind and considerate. But the attempts to rip me off...well, more in the 2 years I was there than in the whole rest of my life in the States...and I'm 62 years old.

I think a fair statement; it's not about liking or disliking Thailand. 'It is what it is'……….Good post.

OP, if you spend short time somewhere other than home, be iton holiday for example, you are in a spending mood and in general will just accept you have to pay, pay and pay some more…….. who isn't happy and doesn't smile when they are given money?

I think spending more time here, out of holiday mode and living and interacting with Thais, (as you would people back home) I think you would change your mind about that 'smile' you would do well to understand and recognize the different 'smiles' you encounter and what they mean. Live a while here and the place will come into sharp focus, say, after a few months.

Don't misunderstand me, I like Thailand, if I didn't I'd leave, I've lived here near 6 years, it's been a bit of a love hate relationship.

I try and avoid the negative things here and focus on the great aspects of this country, not always easy.

So when you come back, I hope you enjoy yourself, just keep in the back of your mind that not all who smile at you, have you best interests at heart in the land of smile.

Edited by Tonto21

Jeez, a positive poster.

You should be shot, stuffed, framed and hung on the wall in the ThaiVisa museum as a rare specimen.

Mr Forbes is absolutely right. Respect and politeness goes a very long way here, and frankly, if someone can't be bothered to show either of these i have no time for them.

I 've replied to you banzai to thank for your really useful informative post that was well worth taking the time to read.

I would agree with phetaroi and Tonto21 that living in Thailand is much different than just traveling as a tourist. But that would be true in any holiday destination center. There are many frustrating things about Thailand, of which some phetaroi pointed out, and some that can not even be discussed. However, Thailand is no different than anywhere else in that you have the good, the bad and the ugly. But, if you weigh the good against the bad it is a pretty good place to visit and stay for a while. I'm a bit biased because I only stay in Thailand for 5 months of the year. I don't have to deal with all the other matters that anger some westerners who live in Thailand full time. Also, I have enough funds and free time that I can pretty much travel where I please, when I please and with whom I please. That is much different than some poor expat whose investments have gone in the tank and he has to live like the average Thai person does.

I much prefer the Thais than the tons of dodgy expats who have chosen to "exist" here in Thailand.

It's kind of depressing that I can walk past a number of handy looking Thai lads all tattooed up and pissed as Jesus outside the local minimart or karaoke and either be completely ignored or subject to a few harmless "Hey you" catcalls and the offer of a swig of Sangsom yet the only time I ever get screwed up is walking past the expat bars on the Khon Kaen " strip"

The funny thing is that when see a farang upset at something that a Thai person has done invariably the Thai person has no idea what has made the farang angry.

I pull up and ask "Why is Farang shouting?" Thai person concerned says "don't know - maybe Farang ting tong".

What a waste of effort on the part of the farang.

If only people would just accept "home team rules" in any country that you visit and accept that everything is not going to go your way.

Jai Yen Yen!!

The funny thing is that when see a farang upset at something that a Thai person has done invariably the Thai person has no idea what has made the farang angry.

I pull up and ask "Why is Farang shouting?" Thai person concerned says "don't know - maybe Farang ting tong".

If only people would just accept "home team rules" in any country that you visit and accept that everything is not going to go your way.

Jai Yen Yen!!

And in my years of staying here in Thailand,,i have lost count on how many Thais i have seen losing it also....there is only so much jai yen yen you can take rolleyes.gif

Jai Yen Yen!!

And in my years of staying here in Thailand,,i have lost count on how many Thais i have seen losing it also....there is only so much jai yen yen you can take rolleyes.gif

Yes, there is also a big difference in Jai Yen Yen and being walked all over!!!!

JH

Need I go on?

Here's the thing. The guys back home at the stores earn at least $2,000 and much more if it's the geek squad and it's expected of them to know about everything they are selling. The girls in the stores in Thailand earn proly 10k or maybe 15k baht. You still expect them to know about what DVD plays on what player? It's cheap in Thailand.

You get what you pay for.

As far as touristy areas and touts, economic conditions drive them to do it. There's 70 million Thais in Thailand. How many touts are there in comparison? Even if there's a million touts, that's still a 70-1 proportion.

Look at countries with the same level of development and with much fewer tourists coming in and how many scams they have up and running and how safe they are. Turkey is much more developed than Thailand and if you have been there you will see how much a real scam or a tout can end up hurting you. I'm sure I lost a couple hundred bahts to little scams but is that even a scam if it's a couple hundred bahts? Let's not be perfectionists here. Size does matter..

I'm looking at Thais with an all-other-things-being-equal mindset. If we had the same economic conditions back home, I think we'd have a civil war. Of course we're used to affluence, we're better educated and we expect and deserve it but then hey, the Thais know that we have a much better lifestyle and all because we hold an American passport?

Your best friend is an engineer. How much does he make in Thailand? How much does an engineer of a similar caliber make back home? Is it your friend's fault that the Thai government does not have working anti-piracy laws in place? Even if they did, do you think an average Thai can afford to pay $140 for an operating system? Hell he proly had to fork out a whole month's earnings to buy that PC without a warranty.

I'm sure there's loads of corruption in the government. But the government doesn't represent the people. Notwithstanding social obligations, all humans are opportunistic with unlimited needs. When resources are scarce and the competition becomes cut-throat we are all cannibalistic with power in our hands.

I'll sum it up.

If you populated an equal-opportunity island nation with a tourism/hospitality-based economy with the average Thai, the Turk, Indian, Chinese, American and European; I would say the Thai would be your model citizen.

Maybe you cannot build an NYC with Thais but you can def make a place that'll make you forget about the rest of the world.

Edited by rudythemonster

Being on holiday is going to be much different than living in a country. Whilst I think majority of Thai people are nice, I did come across some who weren't so nice. However you meet those kind of people in every place you go to so it's all the same to me.

Glad you enjoyed your holiday though. :)

My experience also is largely positive. People are invariably friendly, helpful and always supportive. The people who give me most grief are the broken down expats who want to 'borrow' money. Thais borrow money also, but they pay it back on time, the expat debtor quickly converts the loan to a gift.

Some Thais do have an attitude toward falangs: But as in every other community on earth, people will always feel animosity to wealthy loudmouths who delight in pointing out the financial divide betwen themselves and their minions.

I lost all respect and good will around the end of my first year when a horse was dying in a very horrid and painful manner and the Thai neighbors just thought that was the funniest thing they had ever seen and were giggling in that simpering, infuriating manner they have. In fact the horrid conditions most animals are kept in really lowers my view considerably.

Check out the starving horse cruelty thread in Phuket forum

http://www.thaivisa....elty-to-horses/

I find the populace is really money oriented and greedy. Maybe no more so than anywhere else but it seems to be a point of pride to be selfish- look at how they drive.

Of course your hired help will always be nice, but my experience is that smile is all about procuring funds. Two-faced is how I would describe the mores and the wholesale selling off of the women in money oriented marriages to " whitey" and as sex workers is disgusting.

I'm here in Malaysia right now and the difference is amazing. Not one person has referred to me as "Whitey" . I asked my driver today what the slang tem for Cuacasians was and he was a bit embarrased but told me and I realized I hadn't heard it once in my presence and the overtures of friendship from other patrons at the stable feel genuine and not based on how much money they will get off me.

Edited by TigerWan

Agree completely. They hate foreigners.

I also think most members of these forums are men, they have a different..., er, agenda ( mostly ) and also they get treated a little different than us females as the Thai women are apt to view them as personal family ATM's and treat them accordingly. Also, the married ex pats have their Thai wives running interference for them, dealing with other Thais, etc and may really not be aware of the true ( IMO ) nature of the Thai mentality (Until she screws him over, of course, as evidenced by the myriad of threads running on the subject.)

When I go to Immigration for instance, the foreign men always have a Thai woman doing the talking. They almost never have to really deal with anything on their own. I think they are sheltered from realities.

Edited by TigerWan

My experience also is largely positive. People are invariably friendly, helpful and always supportive. The people who give me most grief are the broken down expats who want to 'borrow' money. Thais borrow money also, but they pay it back on time, the expat debtor quickly converts the loan to a gift.

Some Thais do have an attitude toward falangs: But as in every other community on earth, people will always feel animosity to wealthy loudmouths who delight in pointing out the financial divide betwen themselves and their minions.

Let me get this right; Thais good…..Farang bad…….Is that about it Dave?

Why do I think you wish you were born black….from some famous ghetto somewhere as well!

Need I go on?

Here's the thing. The guys back home at the stores earn at least $2,000 and much more if it's the geek squad and it's expected of them to know about everything they are selling. The girls in the stores in Thailand earn proly 10k or maybe 15k baht. You still expect them to know about what DVD plays on what player? It's cheap in Thailand.

You get what you pay for.

As far as touristy areas and touts, economic conditions drive them to do it. There's 70 million Thais in Thailand. How many touts are there in comparison? Even if there's a million touts, that's still a 70-1 proportion.

Look at countries with the same level of development and with much fewer tourists coming in and how many scams they have up and running and how safe they are. Turkey is much more developed than Thailand and if you have been there you will see how much a real scam or a tout can end up hurting you. I'm sure I lost a couple hundred bahts to little scams but is that even a scam if it's a couple hundred bahts? Let's not be perfectionists here. Size does matter..

I'm looking at Thais with an all-other-things-being-equal mindset. If we had the same economic conditions back home, I think we'd have a civil war. Of course we're used to affluence, we're better educated and we expect and deserve it but then hey, the Thais know that we have a much better lifestyle and all because we hold an American passport?

Your best friend is an engineer. How much does he make in Thailand? How much does an engineer of a similar caliber make back home? Is it your friend's fault that the Thai government does not have working anti-piracy laws in place? Even if they did, do you think an average Thai can afford to pay $140 for an operating system? Hell he proly had to fork out a whole month's earnings to buy that PC without a warranty.

I'm sure there's loads of corruption in the government. But the government doesn't represent the people. Notwithstanding social obligations, all humans are opportunistic with unlimited needs. When resources are scarce and the competition becomes cut-throat we are all cannibalistic with power in our hands.

I'll sum it up.

If you populated an equal-opportunity island nation with a tourism/hospitality-based economy with the average Thai, the Turk, Indian, Chinese, American and European; I would say the Thai would be your model citizen.

Maybe you cannot build an NYC with Thais but you can def make a place that'll make you forget about the rest of the world.

You read something in my post that wasn't there. I made no judgment calls. I merely told some true accounts of what I experienced. I didn't say the people were good or bad or evil or righteous.

However, I will respond to one of your specific comments. Regarding the people working in the DVD store. Are you telling me that because they are earning low salaries that it's okay to lie? When a salesman makes a claim that he knows a product does something, when he doesn't know...that's a lie. Pure and simple.

You should also note that at the end of my post I said that I had also met lots of honest, friendly, and helpful people in Thailand. But you're sticking up for everything that happens there that's on the negative side. You ar making excuses for all that is not right.

Sales people here in this country will tell you what you want to hear to get the sale, lies included. Once you're out the door with your purchase they don't care. Most of them don't have a clue about the product or service they are selling, they don't care....

JH

Agree completely. They hate foreigners.

I also think most members of these forums are men, they have a different..., er, agenda ( mostly ) and also they get treated a little different than us females as the Thai women are apt to view them as personal family ATM's and treat them accordingly. Also, the married ex pats have their Thai wives running interference for them, dealing with other Thais, etc and may really not be aware of the true ( IMO ) nature of the Thai mentality (Until she screws him over, of course, as evidenced by the myriad of threads running on the subject.)

When I go to Immigration for instance, the foreign men always have a Thai woman doing the talking. They almost never have to really deal with anything on their own. I think they are sheltered from realities.

This is absolutely true and very pathetic. They seem to be joined at the hip and unable to do anything alone, banks / immigration / ordering food / crossing the road - you see it everywhere everyday, very pathetic....

JH