Would You Cross A Busy Thai Street To Save X Baht?

Jingthing

Pick your level that you WOULD cross to save  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

An item I typically buy from 7-11 and Family mart sometimes is on sale at one chain and not at the other chain.

When I learn about this, sometimes there is a 7-11 on one side of a busy road and a Family Mart on the other.

So to save the money, yes, I have crossed a busy road (yes JAYWALKING of course) to save ... FOUR BAHT! Yes, only four baht!

So what is your level that would motivate you to cross a busy road?

Pick the choice CLOSEST to your level. So in my case I vote 5 baht. I'm sure I wouldn't cross for 1 baht, but far be it from me to judge those of you who would!

When I completed the survey question I realised that I must be 'Kee neow' ... 5 THB is enough for me to cross the road. I think we apply different values under different circumstances. I can pay more than 100 THB extra for a beer just because I like a particular bar, but paying even a few baht more for an everyday grocery item seems like daylight robbery.

Illogical really, especially if I factored in my time and the safety risks of crossing the road. No matter how many times I look both ways and listen, there's always that motorsai going the wrong way that catches me jump. mind you, the motorbike could just as easily be riding on the pavement.

:rolleyes:

I have to admit I was torn between th 20 Baht and 50 Baht choices. I eventually chose the 20 Baht.

There was a time, some years ago, when the 5 Baht choice would have been true for me.

But now, approaching my 65th birthday...I wouldn't take that chance. My mobility and ability to dodge out of the way of an oncoming car is more limited by age now...so I wouldn't do it for anything less than a 20 Baht saving...and maybe if the traffic was heavy, 50 Baht would be the minimum.

I have to admit I was torn between th 20 Baht and 50 Baht choices. I eventually chose the 20 Baht.

There was a time, some years ago, when the 5 Baht choice would have been true for me.

But now, approaching my 65th birthday...I wouldn't take that chance. My mobility and ability to dodge out of the way of an oncoming car is more limited by age now...so I wouldn't do it for anything less than a 20 Baht saving...and maybe if the traffic was heavy, 50 Baht would be the minimum.

That's a very good point. There are lots of variables. Such as your personal mobility which you mentioned, but also of course just how hellacious is the traffic, what's the weather like, etc.

I voted for 50 baht, but it all depends on the total amount of stuff I am buying. In one area of Chaing Mai there is a 7-11 right next door to a small Tesco store. I believe the 7-11 was there first before Tesco moved in a year later. There seems to be customers in both shops. I shop around and usually have a group of things I buy all the time: butter, water, cheese, ham, whole wheat bread, and a few supplement drinks like Gatorade. I pretty well know the price of everything so I notice if Tesco is higher than 7-11 on some products. If I'm buying 300 baht worth of stuff I won't bother going next door, but if one item is noticeably higher than the other store then that is where I'll shop.

Subliminally, Jingthing is really inquiring if Thai Baht is real money.:rolleyes:

Not really about that at all.

On a related topic, what about those smaller than one baht coins?

I can't deal with those. When convenient, I just leave them in the store where they give as change, sometimes toss them in fountains (don't tell the BIBs), and the ones that make it home end up in a ceramic thingy that won't be touched until the cockroaches rule the earth.

If you have to explain a joke, the joke failed. At least for you. Beyond that, there's google.

Shouldn't have to resort to google when l am asking you a question to a reply to your post.. ;)

BUT, daft topic it is. I have a friend of a particular religious persuasion who would risk life and limb to save a penny though he has a Ferrari in the garage. :huh:

Subliminally, Jingthing is really inquiring if Thai Baht is real money.:rolleyes:

I think you will find that he isn't.

He is either bored , or paid to increase the topic post count. :)

Personally, I saw through the sublimity of the question and saw it as being designed to encourage a discussion about how cost-conscious you are.

It clearly hasn't worked based on the replies thus far.

For my part, I would cross the road to save 5 Baht (if the road wasn't busy and time was not an overriding factor), I have driven several miles in the UK to save 1p a litre on fuel and I have crossed a soi in Pattaya to save what I considered to be an extortionate bar fine. I have booked a a Middle Esat 'hop' from LHR/BKK when it was GBP 200 cheaper and I have opted for direct when it was only GBP 140 different.

OK, I surrender. It IS a daft topic. Back to the daft topic now please. So how many baht to make your cross that busy Thai street?

Walking along a country road and spotting twenty baht note on the ground.

Would you pick it up or continue on your stroll?

OK, I surrender. It IS a daft topic. Back to the daft topic now please. So how many baht to make your cross that busy Thai street?

Huh? Why wouldn't you? Is this a trick question because it's paper money and would be DIRTY?

Huh? Why wouldn't you? Is this a trick question because it's paper money and would be DIRTY?

Would there be a different answer if this question was posed in the Gay forum, rather than the ommunity forum ?

Perhaps some topics are '' TRICK '' topics eh. :ermm: