Found Cm Immigration, Now

thaibeachlovers

Do songtheaws run from the old city to the airport or to the Central Airport Plaza?

I'll be coming up from Lamphun, and need to get to the immigration office. While there, I'd also like to catch a movie at Central.

A possibility is to stay overnight. Any suggestions on cheap, but OK accomodation near the bus station please? Looking at around 300 baht a night range.

Thanks for any help.

Blue song thaews run constantly between Lamphun and Warorot market during daylight hours. Also, there's a slightly more upscale bus that's air conditioned. You can easily get a red song thaew from Warorot market to take you to Central Airport Plaza or the Immigration office. No need to get dumped out all the way out at the bus station if you're coming up from Lamphun.

CM Immigration now has an on-line reservation system for visa extensions. They appear to be doing a good job of honoring the appointments. That means you don't have to arrive before dawn at the Immigration office to take care of a visa extension. 90 day reports can be done in less than an hour -- it's the rare person who claims they wanted longer than an hour if they arrived after 9 am (don't come earlier for a 90 day report).

Now maybe you just want a little overnight holiday in CM -- nothing the matter with that. Unfortunately, I can't recommend any places in the 300 baht/night category.

Movie at Central? Central Dept Store? Kad Suan Kaew, not Airport Plaza.

You might consider this:

1. Google Airport Greenery service apts: catty corner from Airport Plaza. They might have a room for one or 2 nights. Nice place, friendly staff. Computer club meets there weekly and likes it.

2. Walk across the intersection and see a movie in Airport Plaza.

3. Walk to and from Immigration.

4. No transportation needed after you arrive.

Blue song thaews run constantly between Lamphun and Warorot market during daylight hours. Also, there's a slightly more upscale bus that's air conditioned. You can easily get a red song thaew from Warorot market to take you to Central Airport Plaza or the Immigration office. No need to get dumped out all the way out at the bus station if you're coming up from Lamphun.

CM Immigration now has an on-line reservation system for visa extensions. They appear to be doing a good job of honoring the appointments. That means you don't have to arrive before dawn at the Immigration office to take care of a visa extension. 90 day reports can be done in less than an hour -- it's the rare person who claims they wanted longer than an hour if they arrived after 9 am (don't come earlier for a 90 day report).

Now maybe you just want a little overnight holiday in CM -- nothing the matter with that. Unfortunately, I can't recommend any places in the 300 baht/night category.

Thanks Nancy. Very helpful, and yes, want to combine with a short visit.

Haven't been to CM since about '94. I expect it will be considerably different now. Didn't have movies back then either.

I've already sussed a place in the old city for 300 baht with private bathroom, so won't need to be walking around looking for ages, thank goodness.

You might consider this:

1. Google Airport Greenery service apts: catty corner from Airport Plaza. They might have a room for one or 2 nights. Nice place, friendly staff. Computer club meets there weekly and likes it.

Thanks for that. I'll definitely check it out when I'm up for future visits.

Yes, probably got my department stores mixed up.

If you want to take in a movie, then definitely go to Central Airport Plaza, the mall near the Immigration office, not Kad Suan Kaew. That older mall is now showing very few movies with English soundtracks. Most of the new releases are shown dubbed in Thai with no English subtitles. It's unfortunate, because KSK is the mall I'm in at least five days a week. I always go to look at the movie board every Thursday (when the offerings change) and sometimes I'm rewarded in finding an unusual (and often pleasant) film with an English soundtrack or subtitles. But that's rare. It does make for a nice afternoon to see an unexpected movie -- I love to see movies in a theater, not at home or on my computer. Heck, I've even seen Thai movies without subtitles even though I have basic knowledge of the language. It's only 70 baht on Mondays - Wednesdays and can be a nice way to spend a couple of hours.

But, it seems that the OP doesn't have much time in CM and must make the most of his visit. Then, Central Airport Plaza is the place to go.

Edited by NancyL

If you want to take in a movie, then definitely go to Central Airport Plaza, the mall near the Immigration office, not Kad Suan Kaew. That older mall is now showing very few movies with English soundtracks. Most of the new releases are shown dubbed in Thai with no English subtitles. It's unfortunate, because KSK is the mall I'm in at least five days a week. I always go to look at the movie board every Thursday (when the offerings change) and sometimes I'm rewarded in finding an unusual (and often pleasant) film with an English soundtrack or subtitles. But that's rare. It does make for a nice afternoon to see an unexpected movie -- I love to see movies in a theater, not at home or on my computer. Heck, I've even seen Thai movies without subtitles even though I have basic knowledge of the language. It's only 70 baht on Mondays - Wednesdays and can be a nice way to spend a couple of hours.

But, it seems that the OP doesn't have much time in CM and must make the most of his visit. Then, Central Airport Plaza is the place to go.

Thanks Nancy. Yes, not much time this visit.

I too prefer movies in a cinema, and if it's an action film have been known to go to a Thai soundtrack film with no subtitles.

What does bug me though is when they have English subtitles, but if a character in the film is speaking in a third language, they put Thai subtitles on, but not the English ones!

No, you are correct. It's Central Airport Plaza and it has the newer theatre.... I'm not sure what 'noise' is talking about.

You might consider this:

Thanks for that. I'll definitely check it out when I'm up for future visits.

Yes, probably got my department stores mixed up.

From Lamphun best to take a violet bus to Chang Phueak bus terminal...then a red taxi bus to Airport Mall....you might check what time they start running...allowing 45 minutes to an hour on the bus and another 20 minutes or so for the taxi to Airport mall or immigration ....maybe they run early enough ...

I do this drive from Lamphun on motorbike (w/ wife) in less than 45 minutes to immigration...If you want that info I can suggest two different driving routes that are not too hairy...I will going there again on Monday ...rain or heavy rain jap.gif

Thanks everybody.

Left Lamphun about 11am on a fine day, and arrived back in pouring rain about 7pm.

Note to Blinky Bill, got to Airport Plaza about 1230, thought I'd check immigration out, and my wife was able to get us a quick entry to a very kind lady who explained everything I needed to know, so don't need to go back in the morning. Decided not to stay overnight after all, so went to see Rowan Atkinson's latest movie, did a load of shopping and caught the last songtheaw back to Lamphun.

If it's not still raining tomorrow, probably go back up to do some sightseeing around the city.

Once I can get the transport system there worked out, might go up occasionally just for a break from the house. Not much to do in Lamphun, that's for sure!