Are Thais Taught Anything About The World Outside Of Thailand

nong38

Perhaps they should have a new subject included...Current Afairs. Encourage discussion, a possibly dangerous road to go down for thai education though as they seem to have little experience in this domain where students may relish the opportunity to move subject and question tutors with unprepared answers.

Going back on subject, I cant fail to notice how many young children/people are well working when they should be at school. I am pretty sure that the parents have them out working in the family business, teaching them the ropes now rather than later, would not happen in the world we are more familiar with,but, I cannot help thinking that maybe they are getting a better education in the "university of life" than they would be at the state school. They are taught what mum and dad need them to know and after that they dont have the constraints of the state version and maybe they will end being more inquisative about other things ending up with no certificate but a better overall education. All they then need is someone to give them that opportunity in life, someone who has been down that road as well.

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or alternatively, the Thais have it right, Nazi uniforms do look pretty snappy.

And the west has it wrong, pandering to a minority hate group who drag the past up again and again.

If everyones views were worth equal amounts

No roman dress ups, no catholic outfits, etc.

Or alternatively, the Thais have it right, Nazi uniforms do look pretty snappy.

And the west has it wrong, pandering to a minority hate group who drag the past up again and again.

If everyones views were worth equal amounts

No roman dress ups, no catholic outfits, etc.

They would have to polish shoes and boots and throw away there slip ons and flip flops, they dont make much noise when marching either.

NB polishing is not on the curriculum.

Edited by nong38

With regards to this thread, I was with a Thai friend yesterday when an advertisement came on, in Thai, about Thai Airway's new direct flight to Brussels. This university-educated person turned to me ans asked me were Brussels was. OK, just one more example as delineated time and time again on this thread, right? What makes this one a little more puzzling is that my friend with us in a small group last May when we were in....Brussels!

With regards to this thread, I was with a Thai friend yesterday when an advertisement came on, in Thai, about Thai Airway's new direct flight to Brussels. This university-educated person turned to me ans asked me were Brussels was. OK, just one more example as delineated time and time again on this thread, right? What makes this one a little more puzzling is that my friend with us in a small group last May when we were in....Brussels!

Well at least he asked you and not a teacher, is there a message there? Also easier than looking in a book/atlas or turning the games off on the computer. Amazing!

Funny story, bonobo, but it could have been just a simple case of taking something out of context. Maybe after traveling through several countries and many cities your friend couldn't remember which part of Belgium that Brussels was in.

Funny story, bonobo, but it could have been just a simple case of taking something out of context. Maybe after traveling through several countries and many cities your friend couldn't remember which part of Belgium that Brussels was in.

Cant help but think that Thais maybe are not be to good at reading maps either, they seem to have little or no perception as to where things are in their own country and rather than deal with things, just give off bad vibes to change the subject and steer you away from different places and ackward questions, when buttoning them down to have you been there ?......... well no!!

Reading and understanding maps is like reading a book, you can learn so much without having to speak the language and the Brussels thing, if you are going to Europe give them a map to see where places are in relationship to each other, pretty basic and easy knowledge to accumulate if you have the time, which I always have and the memory which does not work to good these days, sad to say.

Edited by nong38

I don't know the reason, but for many Thais a map is something completely foreign to them. That doesn't mean they are not smart or not educated. I've drawn simple maps to show Thais how to get some place and they look at me in wonderment. But, they can get on a bus and travel for 16 hours and arrive at their destination. Maps are second nature to me and I hardly travel anywhere without one. But, I can hardly program my television set from the instructions..

Well cannot comment on Thais ability with map reading but they sure sell loads of the things over here.

Next time your in a 7/11 or bookshop have a look at the map stand.

I for one now have a good collection of city maps and road atlases. Plus there is always google maps too.

ph34r.gif

I'm not sure how the students could have been "glorifying" Naziism when they didn't even know what Naziism is.

It was just a silly dress-up day gone sour. The worst thing they're guilty of is ignorance. Tempest in a very small teapot.

I agree. Its the teachers who were at fault.

Its hard to believe that they were so ignorant that they didn't realise that the nazis are not a 'fashion icon', but a group that killed millions of people.

God help the children if the teachers are so ignorant!

I agree! Those ignorant teachers at Eton College didn't even teach poor Prince Henry of Wales about them Nazis. Harry got caught dressing as one at a fancy dress party at age 20.

I really feel for the children in Britain. If anyone here send their kids to Eton, ask for a refund and send them a better school that actually teaches world history!

Copied and pasted from another forum discussing General Knowledge;

1/ 2 weeks ago I was in Bang Saphan with my gig. Works as a PA and does have a Thai-Bachelor Degree in Marketing or whatever. On the way back to BKK we had heavy rain followed by sunshine and a wonderful rainbow. Than she asked me: "Do you have rainbows in your country?" :blink: "aeh...unfortunately not...we have to import them...we do not have som tum, no rainbows and no Toyota Vigo...we are very poor country..."

Last weekend I was in Pranburi with my GF who also has a Thai-Bachelor degree (what equals a western primary school degree) and works in a bank. Sitting near the waterfront in the evening we watch the rising tide and she explains to me that there is a high tide every night. :o "no kidding?....and you know why?" "why why? comes every night! jing jing!" "yea...well...with the moon...due to it's gravitational forces right?" "the moon? ha ha ha....why you always joking me?" :huh: As I tried to explain the connection between low tide, high tide, earth, moon and gravitational forces she got pretty pissed off since she was under the assumption I was messing with her. :unsure: so I skipped that meaningless discussion and got back to the most important thing: ordering food.

I could carry on telling anecdotes...all the things these people don't know won't stop astounding me. ;)

2/ A GF from my now (thankfully) distant past was convinced that Black people had only evolved in the past few hundred years or so.

When I tried to explain that skin pigmentation bore no correlation to evolutional development she grew indignant and told me that her teacher in Primary School had told her so while explaining why Thai people are superior to the rest of the World. She was at some school for rich kids and as her teacher was a MR she was beyond questioning and must be right.

My then GF was a second year economics and politics student at Thammasat. :whistle:

I pray every day she never gaduated!

3/ I think a big part of the lack of knowledge is the Thai educational system. They teach Budda and the Thai way instead of world history and science. The xxxxeditedxxx that work the bars probably didn't even go to school and got shipped to Bkk or Pats as soon as they were old enough to xxeditedxx.

Mrs WN-who is from BKK and not a XXXXeditedXXXX-made it thru 2 yrs of Uni before the family ran out of money and even with her if happened outside Thai she has no clue. Took her Maylasia with me-she started packing and I told her long pants long sleeve shirts please-very conservative-Malaysia is a Muslim country. Her suprised: Malaysia Muslim? Me: Ahh...yeah-you don't know that?

Took her to Cambodia-she says what we do there? Well we should go see The Killing Field,S-21 then mentioned a few less gruesome places. She's full of questions-I tried to explain Pol Pot and the Khymer Rouge-total incomprehension(and this mere kilometers from Thailand for Gods sake! Thank Christ the hotel owners wife spoke Thai and could explain it to her) Had to break out the dictioary for the rest of this conversation. Exactly <deleted> did they teach at Uni? Ohhh-teach Budda-how be polite-how treat older people with respect math reading writing etc...(valuable tools is a global economy was my thought)

My turn-did they teach history? Oh yes-much Thai history. All my next questions got answered by the same totally blank/confused look even with the dictioary-world history? geography? political science? basic science? economics? politics? computer skills? english? dead fuc_king zeros across the board

point being my wife is by no means stupid or lazy-she has alot of natural curiousity and isn't afraid to ask questions-every so often I'll read her an international news item just to give her an idea that there's aa bigger world out there-she's just another victim of the Thai mentality and education system-if it isn't Thai it doesn't exist or matter-pretty fuc_king tradgic really

4/ Well...they do kind of Jaywalk in my country as well and it basically is the youth who has no fuc_king clue what Christmas is all about and won't give a shit either as they are too busy downloading shit with their mobile phones. But starting university I'd claim people get a bit smarter and know basic things.

Apologize for saying that...but the American Midwest is a bit special though. I used to work in Chicago for 2 years. I recall being at a party at a marina on lake Michigan. Was asked whether my country (Germany) has sea, marinas, electricity, tap water and whether the Nazi regime really is as bad as they say. :huh:

But back to the Thais who topple it all...sitting near the beach at Bang Saphan (south of Hua Hin), my lovely marketing whiz turns around and points at the ridge running along the Myanmar border and says: "Over there Cambodia!" :huh: "aehm...how about Cambodia being on the other side of the gulf?" "What gulf?" :wacko:

I agree with you WN. The Thai educational system is a joke. Together with people from all over the world happened to be exchange student in Stockholm for 2 years (back than when I was young :( ). Among us were 3 Thais from wealthy families of course. Them were the only once who did not pass one single test/exam/course since they were totally overchallenged by the pace and the fundamental knowledge required.

But it's not just the system. It's their general attitude. I have had the luck to live and work in many places all over the world...and I have never encountered such indifferent, lazy and ignorant people as the Thais. Anyway...I don't complain...as a matter of fact I find it very entertaining! :smoke: Unless of course you have to deal with them at the bank, hardware store, office...that tends to be rather annoying. :see_stars:

5/ I was chatting with a gal from Korat who's English was extremely decent, and who appeared to be the brightest light on the tree, who was telling me that it was a shame that the King of America had passed away. When I retorted that there are no Kings in America, just presidents, she stated that I was wrong and stupid because I didn't know that Elvis Presley was the king of America, and that her teacher in her school back in Korat had told her that years ago.

Believe me, I was all shook up.

This bloke offers a few first hand examples.

http://isaanstyle.bl...udents-for.html

Don't think it's fair to be picking on Thais.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=qDM_TTmXpjs

Also, that teacher should be aware that the 7-continent model is the one that is taught in English speaking countries. Did he not know that some Asian countries like Japan teach the 6-continent model? There's also the 5 and 4 continent model. And America IS a continent under the 6,5, and 4 continent models. Typically Eurocentric teachers in Thailand.

And the things he is quizzing adult Thais on is most likely bits of random info he picked up from The King Never Smiles, so of course they wouldn't know!

And do that flag exercise with kids the same age in the USA, England, or Australia, and I can guarantee that you'd get the same results.

These ex-pat "teachers" have nothing in their home countries to compare to because they aren't qualified teachers. It's the same sad situation the world over.

My t/g has recently gone back to school, for several weeks she was making ornate toilet roll holders with wool embelishing on a plastic frame underneath, "what are you doing that for?" Its my home work." This went on for several weeks and if all the loder students were doing the same it makes you wonder, because they were all handed in and none came back, so look out at restaurants or local craft fairs, the colour was a vivd green. What has that to do with homework!!

One night at 830pm she got a phone call to stay that lessons were cancelled tomorrow as the teacher had decided to go on holiday.

I think the previous PM was aware that the deficiencies in the Thai education but its not that easy to correct in a short time, I hope the current PM will also address this situation, fancy spending all those years in tutorial to find out you a worthless bit of paper that even in Thailand quarantees you absolutely nothing. Do no students question this?

Why would they have to know about the battle of Britain. Totally unimportant for them. They need to know their own history first.

How many of you have been taught anything about Thai history ? I know i havent.

I have not been taught about Thai-history!

Why?

Nothing really matters about Thai- history where I come from.

Should they know about Hitler?

Hell, yes!

That guy started a WORLD WAR, which - by definition- affected Thailand as well!

Well cannot comment on Thais ability with map reading but they sure sell loads of the things over here.

I for one now have a good collection of city maps and road atlases. Plus there is always google maps too.

ph34r.gif

Well cannot comment on Thais ability with map reading

And this should include the Farangs in Thailand who absolutely must have a GPS system mounted in their car/mc. How about their map reading ability? :rolleyes:

ph34r.gif

Well cannot comment on Thais ability with map reading

And this should include the Farangs in Thailand who absolutely must have a GPS system mounted in their car/mc. How about their map reading ability? :rolleyes:

A very good point the GPS is great till the links go down and you are right I know lots of people back home who cannot read a map either, its not just the Thais on this one, b ut everyone should know where they live in relationship to other populated places and how to move between them, well I think so anyway.

Edited by nong38

Nobody reads maps anymore, only the old timers do who dont know how to use google maps or a gps.

Paper maps = Type writers

I need to meet someone at Starbucks in saladeng, was told its near the BTS station.

I cant find it in google, anyone know where it is.

Remember this? There you have your google maps and GPS. :whistling:

Nobody reads maps anymore, only the old timers do who dont know how to use google maps or a gps.

A caveat. Those numerous of the old school will certainly be a blessing when our beloved eletrontically-dependent system completely fails.

Those whom aren't conditioned to be self-sufficient and reliant will fail as well.

I need to meet someone at Starbucks in saladeng, was told its near the BTS station.

Or....one could even guess to ask someone on the street if they know of the locale.

What a concept, huh? Social interaction.

That is fine if you have access to a computer with internet, but what about when you are on some isolated highway in Thailand? GPS works great if you have one with a Thai map installed, but it still doesn't give you a broad coverage of where you might be. I STILL want my paper maps... even if they are ones I've printed out myself.

Are Thais Taught Anything About The World Outside Of Thailand

Why should we farangs care about this? :blink:

one simple reason is being able to spend more quality time with Thai wife/gf, friends & family discussing more interesting, sophiticated and intelligent things other than peanuts & bananas, and spending less time on this forum.

I don't speak Mexican, not worried about it.

Nor does anyone else in the world, speak Mexican....No such language...

Possibly debatable. ¡Caracoles!

post-37101-0-16416500-1317681974_thumb.j

and what isn't "possibly debatable"? Is Singlish an official language?

Edited by JRinger