Are Thais Taught Anything About The World Outside Of Thailand

nong38

my girlfriends little boy is 3 year old walks out the front door and pisses everywhere... getting <deleted> tired of it and telling her oh but guess what he is sick again today.. som num na

Who's more stupid?

The three-year-old kid that pisses on the front door?

The mother that lets him do it?

Or the farang that lives with it?

Serious question. Im not taking the ____

or the person asking the question?:whistling:

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my girlfriends little boy is 3 year old walks out the front door and pisses everywhere... getting <deleted> tired of it and telling her oh but guess what he is sick again today.. som num na

Why would you live with such people?

Plenty more gfs around, with more hygienic children.

Especially given the contempt he apparently has for those people -- even a 3 year old by.

Another thread running in Thailand news apparently confirms the OP's suggestion. "Figures from a study conducted in 2009 by the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) showed that the learning level of 15-year-old Thai children was ranked at 50th for reading, 50th for mathematics and 49th for science, out of 65 participating countries."

Another thread running in Thailand news apparently confirms the OP's suggestion. "Figures from a study conducted in 2009 by the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) showed that the learning level of 15-year-old Thai children was ranked at 50th for reading, 50th for mathematics and 49th for science, out of 65 participating countries."

Yeah, but that's because PISA are using white man victor's criteria or don't understand Thai priorities or aren't knowledgeable enough about Asian culture...or something like that...

When we have a superiority complex to nurture and protect, we have to choose our friends carefully

SC

When we have a superiority complex to nurture and protect, we have to choose our friends carefully

SC

Nailed it.

Again.

Especially given the contempt he apparently has for those people -- even a 3 year old by.

Payback....A 3 year old by.

Edited by metisdead
Repaired the reply, when replying to a quoted post, do not make your reply inside the [quote] tags.

Payback....A 3 year old by.

However, if by that you are commenting unfavorably on the fact the guy seems to take some spiteful pleasure from the fact that a 3 year old boy is sick again (because that's how the Thai phrase comes across in this context), then I'm with you.

Yeah, but that's because PISA are using white man victor's criteria or don't understand Thai priorities or aren't knowledgeable enough about Asian culture...or something like that...

........and 9/11 was an inside job. The USA never got a man to the moon and Elvis Presley is still alive.

........and 9/11 was an inside job. The USA never got a man to the moon and Elvis Presley is still alive.

Obviously.

correct!!! your learning steelejoe, your learning!!

There is a limit as to how much pythagoras theorem you need to be a good rice farmer. Thai society rubbed along quite nicely for a few thousand years before capitalism visited these shores.

50 years ago South Korea was an agrarian economy, and look at it now. It's a technological superpower, however a recent survey put South Korean teenagers at the top of the miserable list.

The West has exported many laudable ideas around the world, including capitalism, and it takes an attitude of "we know best" in almost every matter. I would argue strongly that on the whole capitalism is a force for good, but is it a force for happiness?

So now the Thais are having to play catch up, I see plenty of young kids heading into Universities, educationally, the future of Thailand is bright. Will the people be happier though?

Edited by theblether

correct!!! your learning steelejoe, your learning!!

Not sure how you would apply 'white mans criteria' to maths education.

50th for mathematics out of 65 countries doesn't sound very good to me.

I would also tend to assume the reading tests would be in each country reading their own language, so same applies.

Edited by ludditeman

You ask a strange question: Answer is NO on the most part.

Then how much true history of Thailand do they teach: Very little.

I believe it would be against the law or at best not in good taste.

When explaining about the Victory monument at some point the child might ask, "Why did we start a war with France?"

Edited by kerryk

Comment from one of my Thai friends:

I've been reading the Thai Visa website for fun. I'm just wondering why so many native farangs with supposedly good educations don't know the difference between their/there, you/you're, loose/lose, etc.

Even a Thai with the most basic education knows how to use these words correctly.

Could it be that the farang education system is not what it is cracked up to be?

Regards,

Somchai

I've been reading the Thai Visa website for fun. I'm just wondering why so many native farangs with supposedly good educations don't know the difference between their/there, you/you're, loose/lose, etc.

Even a Thai with the most basic education knows how to use these words correctly.

Could it be that the farang education system is not what it is cracked up to be?

Regards,

Somchai

If Somchai was that smart he would have realised that being a 'farang' doesn't necessarily infer that English is that person's native language. This is one of the main stumbling blocks Thais have when attempting to understand people from any number of countries, continents, languages and cultures with their one label fits all stereotype.

Regards,

Somchai

I've noticed that too!

1) lose, loose (very popular on this forum)

2) to, too

3) whether, weather

4) advise, advice (also very popular on this forum)

Somchai was referring specifically to the native English speakers here.

He also knows the difference between "infer" and "imply".

So much for the vastly superior Westwrn education system.

And how exactly would somchai know who the native speakers are? Between you and me I think you're making this all up and somchai is just your Thai alter ego invisible best friend. :D

Harro somchai!

Infer is perfectly aceptable in this situation. I also think you are making this somchai character up as well. Poor state of affairs if you ask me, when you have to resort to this.

Even a Thai with the most basic education knows how to use these words correctly

Sadly, "Somchai" is talking out of his backside.

Speaking as one who receives daily up to 20-30 emails daily from Thai professionals I can clearly state this with utter confidence.

Of course he's making it up. What a load of twaddle.

Infer is perfectly aceptable in this situation.

No, it is 100% WRONG, to be accurate.

Another superior farang education failure.

Infer is perfectly aceptable in this situation.

No, it is 100% WRONG, to be accurate.

Another superior farang education failure.

Superior farang education failure? What does that even mean? Does anyone here know what he is rattling on about? Perhaps we should ask somchai as he is clearly a prodict of the superior Thai edication system that produces such grammatical scholars of all languages. Oh, we can't as Somchai doesn't exist, you made him up! :D

Someone making something up???....on Thai Visa!!!???

I'm not having that!! Never!!!

I must admit this has developed into an out and out classic.

Thanks to all involved, especially "Somchai" who apparently reads Thai Visa...for fun...while of course making notes on spelling and grammar errors to send to Richard in emails....a popular Thai pastime I'm led to believe...

Edited by HeavyDrinker

I am glad Somchai has an opinion of the Farang educational system. Does he have anything to say about the Thai educational system that is the topic of this thread?

I am glad Somchai has an opinion of the Farang educational system. Does he have anything to say about the Thai educational system that is the topic of this thread?

He says, "sorry...I thought the topic of the thread was how inferior the Thai educational system is to Western ones".

I think some farangs here aren't quite as well-educated as they think they are. They know what the Battle of Britain is, but are unable to use their native tongue correctly to junior high levels.