Visa Type For Working In Thailand But Salary Paid By Foreign Employer?

Hi,

My employer plans to assign me to work full time in Thailand, hosted at a Thai research institution, while my salary will still be paid in Europe.

Looking at visa options, can I apply for a Non-immigrant type B, or is this type relevant only when the salary is paid in Thailand by a Thai employer?

If Non-B is not an option in my situation, what other types may be suitable?

Thanks in advance,

PS: Apologies if this topic has been discussed before, as my search hasn't brought up much details.

Thanks for the answers.

Any experience on whether an invitation letter from the Thai institution is enough for the Non-B visa application?

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2489) lists certain requirements for a non-B, which do not match the situation of being hosted by a Thai university (Kasetsart in this case) with a foreign salary:

- Document showing correspondence with trading partners in Thailand. ("B") - Letter of invitation from companies qualified to employ foreigners. ("B")

- Employment contract indicating rationale for employing the applicant as well as his/her salary, position and qualifications (document must be signed by authorized managing director and affixed the seal of the company) ("B")

(...)

- Copy of corporate documents; namely 1) list of shareholders 2) business registration and business license 3) company profile 4) details of business operation 5) list of foreign workers stating names, nationalities and positions 6) map indicating the location of the company 7) Balance sheet, statement of Income Tax and Business Tax (Por Ngor Dor 50 and Por Ngor Dor 30) of the latest year 8) Alien income tax return (Por Ngor Dor 91) and 9) Value-added tax registration (Por Ngor Dor 20) , etc.("B")

The reason I'm asking here is because the information I get from other parties tends to vary with the day I ask. Let's say that I haven't found the right person to talk with yet. Meanwhile, any information that I can gather myself can help the Thai side decide what paperwork is or isn't needed.

Everything will be fine in the end anyway.

The reason I'm asking here is because the information I get from other parties tends to vary with the day I ask. Let's say that I haven't found the right person to talk with yet. Meanwhile, any information that I can gather myself can help the Thai side decide what paperwork is or isn't needed.

You need a Non-imm B and a WP and the Thai side should be sorting this out for you,

Further I dont see how you can be taking all your salary in europe, you are working in Thailand, you need to be paying tax in Thailand, if you are not then you will not get an extension of stay and will have to do a "visa run" every 90 days

You need a Non-imm B and a WP and the Thai side should be sorting this out for you,

Further I dont see how you can be taking all your salary in europe, you are working in Thailand, you need to be paying tax in Thailand, if you are not then you will not get an extension of stay and will have to do a "visa run" every 90 days

Let me see... pay taxes or take a quarterly 'long weekend'....

Correct. Regardless of where the OP will be paid, if the income is "Thai source income" (and it is very difficult to demonstrate that income from working in Thailand is anything other than "Thai source income") then personal income tax must be paid in Thailand. There are a few threads around concerning income splitting, where a portion of an employee's wages are paid offshore and not taxed in Thailand, but this is only kosher if the offshore portion is for work performed offshore (i.e. outside of Thailand).