Thai Sayings and Phrases Wanted

RamdomChances

Back when the "war on drugs" was going on we where at the local market and a car pulled up and shot two people allegedly involved in drugs, apparently this was carried out by the police.

Anyway, my friend turns to me and says " shuak gai hi ling do" basicly

"Cut the chickens throat and let the monkeys watch"

ie They were being made an examlpe of.

Anyone esle know any thai sayings and their meanings?

Cheers

Anyone esle know any thai sayings and their meanings?

Okay Random!Here are a few...

1.กลืนไม่เข้าคลายไม่ออก=gleun mai kaow klai mai ohk=Can't swallow it down,can't spit it out either! unsure.gif (i.e.To be in a dilemma) rolleyes.gif

2.เสียเงินกินเปล่า=See-a ngeun gin plaow=To pay tea money. sad.gif

3.นอนไม่อิ่ม=non mai im=Haven't gotten enough sleep. sad.gif

4.นั่งกินนอนกิน=nang gin non gin=To live of one's wealth. rolleyes.gif

5.เป็นภัยแก่ตัว=bpen phai gae dtoa=To make problems for oneself.

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

som nom na.

Re. "ผูกคอซอง".

"คอซอง" is the neckerchief worn by girls in senior Prathom or junior Mathayom (grades 4 to 9).

ตอนดาวเข้าวงการ หนูยังผูกคอซองอยู่เลยมั้ง

"When I first got into the industry... I guess I was still in Junior High. [in my schoolgirl neckerchief]"

วงการ can mean the circles of any particular industry, be it the fashion circuit, the entertainment industry, the publishing industry, etc. (Though it is most commonly used to talk about the entertainment or modelling industries.)

หนู doesn't necessarily mean "upcoming fashion model"--I think here it's just the pronoun the speaker is using to refer to herself.

Re. "ผูกคอซอง".

"คอซอง" is the neckerchief worn by girls in senior Prathom or junior Mathayom (grades 4 to 9).

"When I first got into the industry... I guess I was still in Junior High. [in my schoolgirl neckerchief]"

วงการ can mean the circles of any particular industry, be it the fashion circuit, the entertainment industry, the publishing industry, etc. (Though it is most commonly used to talk about the entertainment or modelling industries.)

หนู doesn't necessarily mean "upcoming fashion model"--I think here it's just the pronoun the speaker is using to refer to herself.

Sorry I was not very clear. I was trying to provide context to the line from the story I got it from. When I said " refers to " what I meant to do

was clear up which วงการ it was and who the pronoun หนู applied to. Also หนู is not the speaker in this case. Not that it

matters, because it doesn't change ผูกคอซอง

Re. "ผูกคอซอง".

Sorry I was not very clear. I was trying to provide context to the line from the story I got it from. When I said " refers to " what I meant to do

was clear up which วงการ it was and who the pronoun หนู applied to. Also หนู is not the speaker in this case. Not that it

matters, because it doesn't change ผูกคอซอง

I'm just adding a bit more context for fun.

post-28513-0-69276500-1343223753_thumb.j

Ah, I get it now... smile.png So หนู should be "you", then, right?

ป้ากบ: ตอนดาวเข้าวงการ หนูยังผูกคอซองอยู่เลยมั้ง

"Auntie Gop: When Dao started modelling, you were in, what, Junior High?"

(I'm assuming, here, that Gop is talking to the young model, though she could be talking about her, in which case หนู would be "she"...)

Of course it doesn't change the meaning of ผูกคอซอง, but it's nice to know the full context of the example.

Edited by Peppy

Ah, I get it now... smile.png So หนู should be "you", then, right?

Just to clear up, หนู (mouse) is a cutesy term that young girls use to refer to themselves .... how young you say?, well I've heard women in their 30s still calling themselves หนู. Similar to ฉัน

Mothers (and I guess Aunts) may also call their young female children หนู.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

• 2 weeks later...

ไวเท่าความคิด from the context I saw this in, I'd say a fast foot idea is when in a bad situation, it's one who does not stick around

to think of a solution but just runs away instead.

แม่สายบัวคอยเก้อ something to do with becoming an old maid I think.

“ไม่ต้องมาเตือนชั้น เตือนตัวเองเถอะว่าจะแก่ตายไปเปล่าๆ เพราะมัวแต่รอคอยพี่นะ เคยได้ยินไม๊ปิ่น แม่สายบัวคอยเก้อ มา..ชั้นจะให้เธอดูอะไร”

Edited by klons

ไวเท่าความคิด from the context I saw this in, I'd say a fast foot idea is when in a bad situation, it's one who does not stick around

เท่า not เท้า wink.png

"Quick as thought", I think.

เท่า not เท้า wink.png

"Quick as thought", I think.

oops, perhaps that should stricken from the record.

The context was ปิ่นอนงค์ got scared and was blindly flailing a

pocket knife at this guy who gets cut in the hand. The guy says.

“เล่นกันถึงเลือดเลยเหรอ”

ไวเท่าความคิด ปิ่นอนงค์ทิ้งมีดวิ่งหนีสุดชีวิต

ครบสามสิบสอง to have a normal body with all 32 body parts.

example: “ฉันก็กลับมานี่แล้วไง ครบสามสิบสองด้วย”

I’ve come back unscathed

• 2 weeks later...

ชนักติดหลัง a spear with rope attached stuck in the back.

I’d say it means to have a checkered past or something

bad about a person that hasn’t been forgotten.

example:

“อ๋อ ผมเพิ่งย้ายมา ชอบที่นี่มันเงียบดี คนเคยมีชนักติดหลังอย่างผม มาอยู่แถวนี้ใครตามหาคงเจอตัวยาก”

Thai definition:

ชนักติดหลัง แปลว่า

(สว.) น. ความชั่วหรือความผิดที่ยังติดตัวอยู่.

ชนักติดหลัง a spear with rope attached stuck in the back.

I’d say it means to have a checkered past or something

bad about a person that hasn’t been forgotten.

example:

“อ๋อ ผมเพิ่งย้ายมา ชอบที่นี่มันเงียบดี คนเคยมีชนักติดหลังอย่างผม มาอยู่แถวนี้ใครตามหาคงเจอตัวยาก”

Thai definition:

ชนักติดหลัง แปลว่า

(สว.) น. ความชั่วหรือความผิดที่ยังติดตัวอยู่.

Coleridge: "an albatross handing around one's neck"

Here is one I would like to use often when dealing with Thai women - 'ACT IN HASTE AND REPENT AT LEISURE"

So many Thai women I know (friends of my wife mainly) seem to have a 'good' idea and rush to implement this idea when its obvious its not going to succeed or at least needs some more thinking about - the latest idea of a friend is to open a clothes shop in Pattaya and make lots of money. They have never worked in a clothes shop nor run a business and only know they need to go to Bangkok to buy clothes cheaply and sell in Pattaya in a shop they will look to rent next week.

Oh and of course they want me to 'help'. As thy have no business experience at all -me 'helping' would actually mean doing 90 percent of the work!!! I suggested one of them goes to work in a clothes shop for a few months to understand the business - they thought that would be pointlesswink.png

So as I speak Thai and they dont speak English I just want a Thai saying that they would understand to tell them to slow down and think it through.

How about this:-

ทำหน้าที่ในการกลับใจรีบตามอัธยาศัย

Would they understand this - would this convey the idea of the saying I know in English mentioned above???

Thanks for your help - I am going out now to avoid having to talk to my wife about this 'good' idea any more this morningsmile.png

I heard an interesting phrase the other day รักยาวให้บั่น รักสั้นให้ต่อ -meaning if you want to be good friends with someone a long time, don't say everything that's on your mind always, be discreet, hold your tongue at times and your friendship will last.

However if you wish to only have a temporary friend, then speak your mind at all times, hold nothing back and you'll soon fall out!

Picked up a couple more phrases yesterday ฉี่ไม่สุด literally haven't finished emptying the bladder, not finished urinating- in other words the work is unfinished, not complete yet.

เหยียบขี้ไก่ไม่ฝ่อ tread on the fresh chicken droppings- meaning unable to do even straightforward tasks, ie avoid the droppings, because never had to struggle, compete in life, ie a spoilt rich son who lacks motivation and drive, a dandy.

Picked up a couple more phrases yesterday ฉี่ไม่สุด literally haven't finished emptying the bladder, not finished urinating- in other words the work is unfinished, not complete yet.

เหยียบขี้ไก่ไม่ฝ่อ tread on the fresh chicken droppings- meaning unable to do even straightforward tasks, ie avoid the droppings, because never had to struggle, compete in life, ie a spoilt rich son who lacks motivation and drive, a dandy.

I understand the background to เหยียบขี้ไก่ไม่ฝ่อ better now ฝ่อ has various meanings but here it means break,splatter,' bubble up' so normal people who have things to do, get on with in life,stride along and end up stepping in the chicken droppings which can ฝ่อ, leaving a mess on their shoes,feet, whatever.

But the man who's never had to struggle in life, led a pampered life, tiptoes lightly on the droppings so they don't splatter him, he's a softie, spoilt, not used to the rough and tumble of life.

I heard an interesting phrase the other day รักยาวให้บั่น รักสั้นให้ต่อ -meaning if you want to be good friends with someone a long time, don't say everything that's on your mind always, be discreet, hold your tongue at times and your friendship will last.

However if you wish to only have a temporary friend, then speak your mind at all times, hold nothing back and you'll soon fall out!

I translate that as

love long give persevere, love short give argue

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Would the following be the same - as in the carabao song 'ba'?

ไม่ใช่ ผู้ดีตีแดง ตาแค ตีเดิน

• 2 weeks later...

ข้าศึกบุก a need go to the toilet

literal: enemy attacks

The example from where I saw it.

โซว์ถามเป็นอะไรเธอตอบว่าข้าศึกบุก เขาแปลกใจมองไปรอบๆ ไม่เห็นมีใคร ขิงโวยไม่ใช่ข้าศึกแบบนั้น แล้วชี้ไปที่บั้นท้ายตัวเอง โซว์พยักหน้าเข้าใจ

(ขิง then runs off to the bathroom.)

The guy that doesn’t see anyone is a foreigner that speaks Thai, which

would explain why he didn’t understand.

I don’t know if ข้าศึกบุก is a legitimate Thai saying or phrase or just colorful

language.

• 4 months later...

A friend in the Interior Ministry was describing her current duties and she used this phrase สากกระเบือยันเรือรบ this puzzled me at first as I know it as a kind of sour milk/yogurt drink but it turned out to mean doing everything from small( a pestle) to big (a warship). She said it's sarcastic, poking fun, perhaps the meaning is similar to ,'a jack of all trades'.

I translate that as

love long give persevere, love short give argue

The problem with sayings is that generally they need to be explained I have a book published by the Royal Academicians of Thai sayings proverbs etc.

The official explanation is: รักจะอยู่ด้วยกันนาน ๆ ให้ตัดความคิดอาฆาดพยาบาดออกไป รักจะอยู่กันสั่น ๆ ให้คิดอาฆาดพยาบาดเข้าไว้

Long lasting love requires that you don't bear grudges, love which will not last is the opposite.

รักยาว is the situation ให้บั่น is the recommendation to achieve that situation. บั่น is to cut it short, ให้ต่อ is to keep things going.

พยาบาล อาฆาด are ผูกใจเจ็บและอยากแก้แค้น be attached to hurt and a desire to be relieved of it. (sic.) I think ' hold a grudge, is the translation of that.

It can be shortened to ยาวบั่น สั้นต่อ