America Does Not Want My Money

ozzieman05

Exactly. I've no idea why Western countries are so suspicious about Thai wives.

Are you the same age? If so it makes it even more incomprehensible that they could think it was a 'scam'.

Well, my country wasn't suspicious of my wife, they just required her to apply for a visa, which she did. They then gave it to her.

There is no mention in the OP that the US government thought there was any kind of 'scam' going on.

Every country has it's own immigration laws, some allow you to just turn up and they let you in, others require visas which you need to apply for before you can travel there.

My wife also had to travel to Bangkok to submit her application, the fact that she has two children and had to get someone to take care of them whilst she did that, isn't any concern of the UK government.

If she had found these requirements too difficult, or inappropriate, she wouldn't be able to travel to the UK.

The fact is that the US requires visitors from certain countries to apply for visas before they travel there. Thailand is one of those countries and the OP's wife is a Thai passport holder.

Either the OP's wife applies for a visa or she can't travel to the US. No amount of debate will change the US immigration rules in that regard.

As already stated

The Thai Wife does not want to go to a country that treats her like a bar girl

so we off to Tahiti,

she got a visa over the internet

I am just a Farang and only wants warm dinners and a warm bed at night,

The sun in Tahiti is just as good as Hawaii

So she has voted with her feet

Sorry, but how does the fact that she has to apply for a visa equate to her being treated as a bar girl?

You and your wife seem to have some strange ideas about life.

Does she think that the US government have the requirement for her to obtain a visa for the US because they automatically assume that she's a prostitute? The fact is that unless you are a passport holder of a country that has a special relationship with the US, like the UK for instance, you will, whoever you are, whatever your occupation, brain surgeon, astronaut, plumber, palm reader or bar girl, need to apply for a visa before you go there!

Your wife seems to be taking all this rather personally, as if the US government have got something against her.

Anyway, enjoy Tahiti. I wouldn't want to go to the US myself anyway, visa or no visa, but that's another story!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its very strange indeed.

My ex and her husband are flying to the US to visit his parents.

She is taking our daughter (who lives with me) with her for the month.

She is employed with a major hotel chain, he is employed here as well, they are comfortable but have no property or businesses to speak of.

Mother and daughter both received 10 year tourist visas, no problem.

They would have received them, no problem because they actually applied for them without going off into one about why they shouldn't have to get one in the first place! :lol:

Is there any reason why she can't get an Aussie passport as well as her Thai passport? Does Oz not allow dual citizenship?

The answer is easy

THAI PRIDE

You need to marry a Thai girl to ever get close to understanding how they think ha ha

So, if she is so proud of her Thai Passport. Why don't you let her deal with the visa thing by herself? :rolleyes:

Are you the same age? If so it makes it even more incomprehensible that they could think it was a 'scam'.

Well, my country wasn't suspicious of my wife, they just required her to apply for a visa, which she did. They then gave it to her.

There is no mention in the OP that the US government thought there was any kind of 'scam' going on.

Every country has it's own immigration laws, some allow you to just turn up and they let you in, others require visas which you need to apply for before you can travel there.

My wife also had to travel to Bangkok to submit her application, the fact that she has two children and had to get someone to take care of them whilst she did that, isn't any concern of the UK government.

If she had found these requirements too difficult, or inappropriate, she wouldn't be able to travel to the UK.

The fact is that the US requires visitors from certain countries to apply for visas before they travel there. Thailand is one of those countries and the OP's wife is a Thai passport holder.

Either the OP's wife applies for a visa or she can't travel to the US. No amount of debate will change the US immigration rules in that regard.

As already stated

so we off to Tahiti,

I read through all these comments thinking I must have missed something about your Thai wife being rejected for a U.S. tourist visa, couldn't find anything like that. It's just that you and she decided not to do like a host of other people in lots of countries do, apply for the visa. Unfortunately, post 9/11/2001, much of this is now in-person.

All up to you, there's no inference that your wife was a "bar girl," it's the same for all Thai here in Thailand, my wife, too. Happily we don't live too far out of town but it does blow a whole day. Not so with a Thai down Hat Yai way, blows 2-3 days for them. Bar girls or PHD holders, all the same.

Mac

As already stated

so we off to Tahiti,

I read through all these comments thinking I must have missed something about your Thai wife being rejected for a U.S. tourist visa, couldn't find anything like that. It's just that you and she decided not to do like a host of other people in lots of countries do, apply for the visa. Unfortunately, post 9/11/2001, much of this is now in-person.

All up to you, there's no inference that your wife was a "bar girl," it's the same for all Thai here in Thailand, my wife, too. Happily we don't live too far out of town but it does blow a whole day. Not so with a Thai down Hat Yai way, blows 2-3 days for them. Bar girls or PHD holders, all the same.

Mac

Correct, so long as they meet the criteria set by the authorities they do not care about bar girl / nurse / actress / etc etc.....

JH

Edited by metisdead
Itallic font removed, please use default forum font when posting.

I guess I just really don't see the problem here. There is a rule that says all Thai applicants for a US visa must have an interview. If the situation is as you describe, married to you, living in Australia for 5 years, has 2 children and a 1 million dollar house, then the interview will essentially be a formality and she'll get a stamp for 10 years.

Now, if she went for the interview and was refused a visa even with all the qualifications, then I could understand the grumbling.

But otherwise, why complain about the bureaucracy? That is simply the way things are. There is no need for her to get offended, any more than there is for me to get offended when I have to pay for a visa to Laos but my wife and children don't. These are simply the rules that must be followed. How can you blame a bureaucrat in Washington because there is a problem with you taking care of the children alone while she goes for her mandatory interview which is going to be a slam dunk anyway?

This just doesn't make any sense to me.

It has nothing to do with America not wanting money. It has to do with your wife not wanting to go to America. Not that there is anything wrong with that either. I don't blame her for not wanting to go through the naked scanners or get felt up by the TSA goons. Being Thai she probably won't have an issue removing her shoes.

I've never been to Tahiti, but my sister went there on her honeymoon and says it is absolutely beautiful. Hope you have a good trip.

ozzieman05. In your op you said America don't want my money. Further down you said "She ownes 2 businesses in Australia and pass good tax to the Australia Government". Just curious does she contribute with her money she makes from her businesses? :rolleyes:

Edited by Semper

my thai wife the mother of my two sons who have both thai and american passports was required to travel to bkk for an interview she was then given a 10yr visa, sure wish i could get that from thailand even if i had to got to 6 interviews but hey as long as i have money in the bank they allow me 12 months :whistling:

Fishy Suspicious Post.

the Op says his wife has traveled to Europe and Asia without any problems.

All EU Countries require Visa's for Thai Passport Holders.

Japan and many other Asian countries also require Visa applications prior to issuing a Visa to a Thai.

Therefore: the OP's wife has had to go to the European Embassies the same as she would have to go to a US Embassy.

spelling edit

Edited by metisdead
Comments regarding trolling have been removed.

Oz treats Thai visa applicants pretty much exactly the same way that the US does. She doesn't seem to mind living in a country that treat her countrymen and women as bargirls/boys, but gets huffy when she desires to go to the US? By this token, her entire world is going to be pretty much limited to ASEAN.

The fact is that unless you are a passport holder of a country that has a special relationship with the US, like the UK for instance, you will, whoever you are, whatever your occupation, brain surgeon, astronaut, plumber, palm reader or bar girl, need to apply for a visa before you go there!

In fact, for years US citizens were allowed to obtain a visa-on-arrival to enter the UK, whereas UK citizens visiting the States had to obtain a visa in advance. I believe this is now once again the case for holders of non-biometric UK passports.

Airlines with Canadian hubs or even just refueling stops are making good money out of the ridiculous situation with US immigration.

You have to clear immigration and customs to even transit through the country on your way to a third country even if you're not stopping in the US.

If you want to fly to South America or the Caribbean the best way to do it is to go via Canada, just skip the US altogether, it's much easier and less hassle.

The airlines are marketing themselves based on this convenience factor.

Check this out : http://wikitravel.org/en/Avoiding_a_transit_of_the_United_States

For many people it's just to inconvenient to go through the US.

Airlines with Canadian hubs or even just refueling stops are making good money out of the ridiculous situation with US immigration.

You have to clear immigration and customs to even transit through the country on your way to a third country even if you're not stopping in the US.

If you want to fly to South America or the Caribbean the best way to do it is to go via Canada, just skip the US altogether, it's much easier and less hassle.

The airlines are marketing themselves based on this convenience factor.

Check this out : http://wikitravel.or...e_United_States

For many people it's just to inconvenient to go through the US.

Unfortunately due to the incompetence of 'check in' staff, a bomb ended up on the second 'leg' of a flight when the 'owner' didn't...

The fact is that unless you are a passport holder of a country that has a special relationship with the US, like the UK for instance, you will, whoever you are, whatever your occupation, brain surgeon, astronaut, plumber, palm reader or bar girl, need to apply for a visa before you go there!

In fact, for years US citizens were allowed to obtain a visa-on-arrival to enter the UK, whereas UK citizens visiting the States had to obtain a visa in advance. I believe this is now once again the case for holders of non-biometric UK passports.

Thanks for that, I didn't realise. :)

When I went to the US (years ago, 1987!) I just turned up there with no visa, no problem.

I have friends who visit the US every year and they now have to go through some on-line procedure which, I believe, contains the information that would be contained in their biometric passports.

There are some details here about the Visa Waiver Program for the US

Edited by bifftastic

Thanks for that, I didn't realise. :)

When I went to the US (years ago, 1987!) I just turned up there with no visa, no problem.

I have friends who visit the US every year and they now have to go through some on-line procedure which, I believe, contains the information that would be contained in their biometric passports.

There are some details here about the Visa Waiver Program for the US

ESTA form....lasts up to 2 years and if you are a regular traveller then once it is done it's done B)

as for the OP's missus....get in line or vote with her feet....ZZzzzzzz

Edited by norrona

For many years the girlie trafficking business has been very industrious in providing to a very big demand in the west. Consequently the authorities have entered into a game of cat and mouse whereby they would try to close loopholes and the traffickers would make new ones. Finally they realised where the ladies were coming from and then made it more difficult for them to get visas. This chase has involved sending girls around the world to enable them to arrive from a country / continent that isn't on the red flag list.The game is continuing (the authorities aren't making any ground)and I predict we will soon all have microchips inserted into our bodies and then whenever we travel, they will have all our personal data and travel movements flash up on a monitor.

So your situation isn't being looked at on a personal level, Thailand is a big origin country of those they wish to refuse entry and is therefore red flagged.

Is there any reason why she can't get an Aussie passport as well as her Thai passport? Does Oz not allow dual citizenship?

The answer is easy

THAI PRIDE

You need to marry a Thai girl to ever get close to understanding how they think ha ha

What are you talking about ozzie?

I have a Thai wife, she has an aussie PR and as soon as possible she will get he Oz citizenship!

What's this crap about "u need to understand how they think"?

Do you honestly think all Thai women think the same as your wife?

Pleeeeease :rolleyes:

The answer is easy

THAI PRIDE

What are you talking about ozzie?

I have a Thai wife, she has an aussie PR and as soon as possible she will get he Oz citizenship!

What's this crap about "u need to understand how they think"?

Do you honestly think all Thai women think the same as your wife?

Pleeeeease :rolleyes:

You are quite right. I think the op is just whining about his wife. ;)

For many years the girlie trafficking business has been very industrious in providing to a very big demand in the west. Consequently the authorities have entered into a game of cat and mouse whereby they would try to close loopholes and the traffickers would make new ones. Finally they realised where the ladies were coming from and then made it more difficult for them to get visas. This chase has involved sending girls around the world to enable them to arrive from a country / continent that isn't on the red flag list.The game is continuing (the authorities aren't making any ground)and I predict we will soon all have microchips inserted into our bodies and then whenever we travel, they will have all our personal data and travel movements flash up on a monitor.

So your situation isn't being looked at on a personal level, Thailand is a big origin country of those they wish to refuse entry and is therefore red flagged.

Red flagged is it? Really? This article would suggest otherwise (for the UK) and the fact that my wife's visit visa was approved in two days without an interview, phone call or any other checks being carried out also doesn't really point to any flags, red green or sky-blue-pink!

If you need a visa and meet the requirements, which are exactly the same for anyone who needs one regardless of where they come from, you will get it.

Red flag list my arse!

They've tried the open door policy and it leads to large numbers of immigrants living off the system. Plenty of exceptions to that generalization but if the net result was beneficial, we wouldn't see these policies now.

That said, I've known plenty of Thais who have gotten visas to the US. There aren't any black and white rules but one common denominator was that they were all local property owners (even if just a house or two.... probably better if more substantial)... which presumably means it won't be a one way trip.

:)

Perhaps your wife was given a visa for the UK 'across the internet' because of her permanent residency in Australia? Being part of the Commonwealth, the visa regulations might be different.

Your wife may well be correct, she should get 30 days on arrival n the US. However, the US government do not agree, there's no way around it, she either needs to apply for a visa or not go to the US.

My wife asked me the same question, how come she needs to apply for a visa for the UK when I can just turn up at the airport in Thailand and get a 30 day stamp?

Answer? Because that's just how it is!

Precisely.

We are unable to obtain permanent residency here whereas foreigners get 'residency' fairly easily in the UK - IF they are able to gain entry.

The UK government is making it harder for many nationalities to get in these days, with It's British citizens test etc. Like a UK guy who marries a Thai woman has many obstacles to pass for The Thai wife to get permanent residency, however eastern europeans lots of whom don't even speak English can come and go as they please? Also asylum seekers come and get everything, sometimes ending up in houses that are worth a million pounds at the taxpayers expense obviously. Its crazy!!

Sorry kinda off topic

Rant over :-)

Perhaps your wife was given a visa for the UK 'across the internet' because of her permanent residency in Australia? Being part of the Commonwealth, the visa regulations might be different.

Your wife may well be correct, she should get 30 days on arrival n the US. However, the US government do not agree, there's no way around it, she either needs to apply for a visa or not go to the US.

My wife asked me the same question, how come she needs to apply for a visa for the UK when I can just turn up at the airport in Thailand and get a 30 day stamp?

Answer? Because that's just how it is!

Precisely.

We are unable to obtain permanent residency here whereas foreigners get 'residency' fairly easily in the UK - IF they are able to gain entry.

The UK government is making it harder for many nationalities to get in these days, with It's British citizens test etc. Like a UK guy who marries a Thai woman has many obstacles to pass for The Thai wife to get permanent residency, however eastern europeans lots of whom don't even speak English can come and go as they please? Also asylum seekers come and get everything, sometimes ending up in houses that are worth a million pounds at the taxpayers expense obviously. Its crazy!!

Sorry kinda off topic

Rant over :-)

It would be crazy if it were true. These 'eastern europeans' you refer to are citizens of another EU state, and as such can live and work in any other EU state, the same applies to UK citizens wishing to live and work anywhere else in the EU. The idea that they cannot speak English doesn't really hold any water, as they couldn't exist here if they didn't. Maybe you hear them talking to each other, which they would do in their own language, and assume that they can't speak English?

As for asylum seekers 'getting everything' that's more myth than fact and the numbers aren't huge. This is from last year but shows that the numbers, which were already quite low, have fallen, it also includes figures relating to Polish people coming to live and work in the UK, those numbers have also fallen.

The requirement to be able to speak and understand basic English if a non EU citizen wants to settle in the UK may at first seem like an obstacle, but it is quite fair really as it will help that person settle in the country more easily. I think it's a sensible idea for anyone settling in another country to have a basic grasp of the language before they do so.

my thai wife the mother of my two sons who have both thai and american passports was required to travel to bkk for an interview she was then given a 10yr visa, sure wish i could get that from thailand even if i had to got to 6 interviews but hey as long as i have money in the bank they allow me 12 months :whistling:

I think you misunderstand what a 10-year visa is. It does not allow you to come in and stay for ten years. The amount of time you are allowed is determined by the officer at the port of entry. It is often six months, but could be three months, one month, or a week.

And you can't just make a border run to Canada or Mexico and come back in and get another six months. In fact, if you tried to do that you would probably be denied entry and have your visa cancelled.

You might get away with six months per year, but even that would be pushing it.

So be careful what you wish for if you're thinking how great it would be for Thailand to adopt US tourist visa practices.

They've tried the open door policy and it leads to large numbers of immigrants living off the system. Plenty of exceptions to that generalization but if the net result was beneficial, we wouldn't see these policies now.

That said, I've known plenty of Thais who have gotten visas to the US. There aren't any black and white rules but one common denominator was that they were all local property owners (even if just a house or two.... probably better if more substantial)... which presumably means it won't be a one way trip.

:)

You are correct, they want some assurance you have a reason to come back. Family, property job.

As an American, I think they could do to loosen things up a bit on nationals like Thais. America DOES need the tourism money, and the US is not the economic magnet for the foreign masses it once was anyway. Many Mexicans are going home and that's saying something considering how bad Mexico has been recently.

Edited by Jingthing

What do you think the reasons are that they are wary of Thai females and therefore put them through a strict screening process?

And are you saying that policies should be reciprocal? If thats the case then Americans should be allowed to own land in Thailand as Thais are allowed to own land in the US.

I actually agree with the Thai policy of not allowing foreigners to allow land.

It is one of the things that really annoys people in the West - that wealthy foreigners are able to buy large chunks of the country.

Good for the Thais!

100% agree with you here

But Most Thai ladies have blinkers on when you bring up this subject

and I do not like eating cold dinners or sleepin alone

Understand

Learn to cook and get a cat :D ...