Big Trees Lining Rd Between Cm And Lamphun

thaibeachlovers

They are rubber trees -- and unfortunately in today's world, also a serious road hazard.

Ficus religiosa, or bodhi tree, is much more massive across the trunk. They are the landmark trees one occasionally sees, usually with spirit houses and the like nested within them.

I recently asked my wife why they haven't planted replacement trees where there are sick or missing ones. She indicated that a lot of people can't wait for them all to die, and that some (many?) have already been poisoned. She claimed that the main problem was them dropping limbs, and that people had been killed this way.

Very sad ... for trees and people. There aren't lot of biggish street trees that haven't been horribly disfigured, and they are such a nice change from the power & telephone cables

Those trees have cool history story behind them. Someone can jump in here and correct me but from what I understand, the King of Chiang Mai and King of Lamphun decided to ride toward each other on a given day to set the territory line. The King of Chiang Mai's entourage rode horses and planted trees behind them and they got very close to Lamphun as the king of Lamphun was on an slow elephant. There is a historic shrine at the place where they met and where the trees end.

A beautiful bit of Chiang Mai history involving an old queen...

Most of the main roads had large beautiful trees planted,,

Not many survived the road widenings like Suthep rd., and the Sankempang road :(

Thanks everyone.

Semper, is the glass always half empty?

No but I think his brain usually is.

I recently asked my wife why they haven't planted replacement trees where there are sick or missing ones. She indicated that a lot of people can't wait for them all to die, and that some (many?) have already been poisoned. She claimed that the main problem was them dropping limbs, and that people had been killed this way.

Tree hugger. And you seem to have abused the Miller a bit.

Edited by Semper

Deathtraps.

A bit silly to say about trees that were there before any of us were born.

Last time I checked Trees rarely make sudden movements so you should be able to avoid them quite easily....

I just answered the question from the Op, and forgot the questionmark. Is this so difficult to understand? :blink:

Deathtraps.

Last time I checked Trees rarely make sudden movements so you should be able to avoid them quite easily....

I just answered the question from the Op, and forgot the questionmark. Is this so difficult to understand? :blink:

Questionmark or not, some, like myself see those trees as things of beauty, and others see only problems. If that makes me a tree hugger, so be it.

As many people have been finding to their cost recently, take away the trees and the earth falls away under the rain, leaving them in the poo. Something of a self inflicted injury!

You'll notice that the trees have (or had) monks' saffron robes wrapped around them. This occurs also in the forest where loggers are wanting to cut trees down. There is a Buddhist rite that is performed essentially making the trees sacred, thereby saving the trees from the chainsaw.

Sounds good to me.

<br />
<br />Deathtraps.<br />
<br />A bit silly to say about trees that were there before any of us were born.<br /><br />Last time I checked Trees rarely make sudden movements so you should be able to avoid them quite easily....<br />

lol

I was driving the motorcycle through CMU today and saw a huge branch fall into the opposite lane. It was at least 15 cm thick and two meters long. Could have been bad if it hit someone, but it bounced pretty harmlessly as I cruised by. So..... I guess they do sometimes make sudden movements!

Yes, trees do sometimes make sudden movements. Like when they drop branches, especially if there's a windstorm. They can really take a beating with a lightening strike. I'm impressed that this large mono-culture of the same species of trees (maybe even clones of each other) has survived as long as it has. One only has to look at the fate of elms in the U.S. (and now ash trees around the Great Lakes) to realize what can go wrong when you plant so many trees of the same species so close together.

I hope they do everything they can to preserve these trees.

Deathtraps.

Rarely?? You obviously didn't grow up in an area with large plentiful numbers of large trees and inclement weather. The term 'widow maker', as I know it commonly, is used to define a tree with high probability of shedding large, mostly bare branches.

Nothing wakes you up like a heavy thick branch falling close to a hundred feet hitting the roof of your truck, on a dark and stormy night.

Yes, trees do sometimes make sudden movements. Like when they drop branches, especially if there's a windstorm. They can really take a beating with a lightening strike. I'm impressed that this large mono-culture of the same species of trees (maybe even clones of each other) has survived as long as it has. One only has to look at the fate of elms in the U.S. (and now ash trees around the Great Lakes) to realize what can go wrong when you plant so many trees of the same species so close together.

I hope they do everything they can to preserve these trees.

Ahhhh! The ubiquitous, omnipresent "they" again.

We are "they"!

Or rather, our Thai friends are "they"!

These are sticky gum trees, a type chosen specifically to 'stick Chiang Mai to Lamphun' in friendly relations. A nice analogy, huh?

This MAY be the longest avenue of trees in this part of SE Asia and well worth preserving - and extending. For some reason (maybe a war?) the Lamphoonies never got around to planting on their side of the provincial boundary.

Wouldn't it be good if we expats somehow encouraged the good burgers of Lamphun to do their bit, albeit a few hundred years late, and complete the avenue?

Breath life into the trees before even more get killed off and hacked down, as CM residents so love to do.

Yes, branches fall off and are a hazard on what is already a dangerous road.

Proper tree management would reduce all that to almost zero.

But I risk hi-jacking you all off to road safety again. Whoops!