Gay-Friendly Venues - Subcentral Thailand

KJC

Hi everyone! This is my first post here after joining thaivisa just this morning. That said, please let me know if this post is in the right place!

I am living and working in Singburi province. After spending too much time and money travelling to Bangkok, I am looking for any gay friendly places in central Thailand (specifically Ayuthaya, anywhere in Singburi or Lopburi Province, or any of the surrounding provinces). By gay friendly places I mean anything from bars to spas to hotels etc, and anything with a 'mixed' crowd too. I have done a little research online and haven't found much, so I'm hoping maybe you folks can give me a hand!

Many thanks,

KJC

I don't know about those areas, but if you ask any good hotel concierge or even taxi/motorcycle/songthaew driver, I bet you will locate some kind of local disco/pub/dance place, and they are almost universally mixed; though you may find it takes a bit of time to get your gaydar on message. Hang out until late when you go.

Otherwise, there are very few 'officially' dedicated gay venues outside the larger cities.

I had a feeling the first response would be something along these lines. I suppose I will have to just hop on my moto and go look/ask for myself. Still, I'll leave this up. Maybe some others on here have happened across something in these areas....

Thanks for the reply!

I don't know about those areas, but if you ask any good hotel concierge or even taxi/motorcycle/songthaew driver, I bet you will locate some kind of local disco/pub/dance place, and they are almost universally mixed; though you may find it takes a bit of time to get your gaydar on message. Hang out until late when you go.

Otherwise, there are very few 'officially' dedicated gay venues outside the larger cities.

Welcome to this forum! :)

I don't know about gay-unfriendly places in Thailand, so an exclusion list would be more useful!

But to be serious, I agree with IJWT. You can ask the hotel concierge, and they will know. Or go to the nearest disco, there will be a gay corner for sure.

As you will know by now, there are no designated gay bars or discos in Thailand, except for the tourist areas. Thai places are mixed, you just need to look for the gay corner.

Edited by tombkk

If you are "living and working" here, KJC, as a "young(ish) gay male living and teaching in Thailand", I'd presume you aren't living in a hotel and I find the idea of going into a hotel, asking for the concierge, and asking where the "gay friendly places" are pretty wierd - as they probably would!

Why not follow the advice given to McDougal in the other thread in which you have posted, about how to find and date Thai gays?

I'm sorry, and I know it may sound offensive, but I just can't understand how anyone who is living here (and young!) can have a problem finding either gay Thais or gay friendly places (one usually leads to the other) anywhere in Thailand and they have to resort to going to Bangkok. What's wrong with you people? Give up the on-line research and get out and make some friends!

That isn't my post. I'm 29, not 24. Not sure where you got the idea. And I'm not living in a hotel, I live in a house at the school where I work. Singburi province is rather conservative and unpopulated, and it is a challenge to meet other gay people here. Just thought I'd ask if anyone knows any places in the area where the chances of finding other gay men are higher. That's all. Thanks to the rest of you for your advice.

If you are "living and working" here, KJC, as a "young(ish) gay male living and teaching in Thailand", I'd presume you aren't living in a hotel and I find the idea of going into a hotel, asking for the concierge, and asking where the "gay friendly places" are pretty wierd - as they probably would!

Why not follow the advice given to McDougal in the other thread in which you have posted, about how to find and date Thai gays?

I'm sorry, and I know it may sound offensive, but I just can't understand how anyone who is living here (and young!) can have a problem finding either gay Thais or gay friendly places (one usually leads to the other) anywhere in Thailand and they have to resort to going to Bangkok. What's wrong with you people? Give up the on-line research and get out and make some friends!

Thanks for your post! I have been wandering around recently 'searching' and I think you are absolutely right: there really are no gay un-friendly places in thailand that I can tell. The area I am living doesn't have discos though, but I did find one in Lopburi (about 30 kilometers from here) and that seems to be a place to find gay men. Thanks again, and I'll keep my eyes out for the 'gay corners.' :)

I don't know about gay-unfriendly places in Thailand, so an exclusion list would be more useful!

But to be serious, I agree with IJWT. You can ask the hotel concierge, and they will know. Or go to the nearest disco, there will be a gay corner for sure.

As you will know by now, there are no designated gay bars or discos in Thailand, except for the tourist areas. Thai places are mixed, you just need to look for the gay corner.

Thanks for your post! I have been wandering around recently 'searching' and I think you are absolutely right: there really are no gay un-friendly places in thailand that I can tell. The area I am living doesn't have discos though, but I did find one in Lopburi (about 30 kilometers from here) and that seems to be a place to find gay men. Thanks again, and I'll keep my eyes out for the 'gay corners.' :)

Good luck, and please keep us updated! :)

That isn't my post. I'm 29, not 24. Not sure where you got the idea. And I'm not living in a hotel, I live in a house at the school where I work. Singburi province is rather conservative and unpopulated, and it is a challenge to meet other gay people here. Just thought I'd ask if anyone knows any places in the area where the chances of finding other gay men are higher. That's all. Thanks to the rest of you for your advice.

KJC, I got the idea from post #45 in that thread where someone called KJC wrote " I am a young(ish) gay male living and teaching in Thailand, but not in Chiang Mai. I live in the province of Singburi. In my experience here there are LOTS of young gay foreigners, mostly teachers, spread throughout the various provinces." If that wasn't your post then someone else must have made it using your name. McDougal, who opened that thread, also lives in a "small province" and is "young(ish)" so I thought the advice given to him, which he found useful, could also prove useful to you.

My advice to you would be to join gayromeo.com and look at the area for sub-central Thailand.

That area has (today) 303 members with currently 10 on-line.

There are 19 members in Singburi; 10 in Ang Thong; 28 in Lop Buri and 3 in Chai Nat. Send those guys a message and ask them where you can go in the area to meet other gay guys.