If You Are Australian - Don't Pay Tea Money

Khutan

I occasionally have a look at the Australian Travel Advisory Website, and I found this little beauty :

Some Australian criminal laws, including - but not limited to - those relating to money laundering, bribery of foreign public officials, terrorism and child sex tourism, have extraterritorial effect. Australians who commit such offences outside of Australia may be prosecuted in Australia for those offences.

Sure the Money Launderers, child sex-tourists and terrorists deserve all they get, but, I read this to say if I pay some tea-money, I can be dragged back to Australia for prosecution. :o Wow, next time I am using the "Pay as you go" methid of driving, I will have to inform those wanting "Tea-Money", the Australian Government doesnt approve of that :D

I wonder how many new laws they are going to pass with extraterritorial effect ?

Mattnich,

Yeah, I know what you mean about all the laws in Oz but it can be ###### good if your on the receiving end.

Although, the one you mention above seems silly.

Cheers YBB

I think you'll find it is meant to apply to bribery of Australian Embassy staff to gain advantage with visa applications.

I subscribed to smarttraveller & get 10 emails everytime they send updates. Oh same for Australian Embassy updates, for the last 6 months they have been sending the same list of hotspots. I guess it saves on time and labour :D

"Bribery of foreign public officials" is never done in Australia :o

Well I have to go now I'm meeting an embassy person to renew my passport :D

Mattnich,

Yeah, I know what you mean about all the laws in Oz but it can be ###### good if your on the receiving end.

Although, the one you mention above seems silly.

Cheers YBB

I think you'll find it is meant to apply to bribery of Australian Embassy staff to gain advantage with visa applications.

I don't believe so. My understanding would be using money to bribe a foreign public officials (as stated) and is most likely to be cited for companies using that method to obtain business contracts.

I subscribed to smarttraveller & get 10 emails everytime they send updates. Oh same for Australian Embassy updates, for the last 6 months they have been sending the same list of hotspots. I guess it saves on time and labour  :D 

"Bribery of foreign public officials" is never done in Australia  :o

Well I have to go now I'm meeting an embassy person to renew my passport :D

just ask old Detective Inspector Chook Fowler... :D