Marriage Certificate In Thai Only (No English) = Future Problem ?

I got married at the registry office today. We didn't go to the Amphur at Bang Rak as I was given a wrong address and the one at Phrakanong is closer........only 200 metres from On Nut station. I figured that many foreigners live in that area so this office would be used to it.

There was no charge at all !

However our marriage certificate was in Thai.......no English at all. Later I found out that in the Bang Rak office it is in English and Thai.

I imagine that when I go back to Australia (or even before) I will need a translation for various things such applying for her Permanent Residency visa etc.

Should I go to Bang Rak and ask if they can give me an English version ? I imagine that they WOULD have at Phrakanong if they could. Or perhaps I should go to the "Legalization" place at Chaengwattana where I got my Statutory Declaration (that I was single and free to marry) certified as legal ?

Edited by Latindancer

We got married at BangRak five years ago. No english translation was provided. As my wife was applying for a visa to the USA, we had it translated at a place in Gian Kwan building across the street from the embassy (the same place had taken care of some other translations for us and the MFA stamp I needed to get married in Thailand).

Link for translators (we used AC Limited):

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/translators_photographers.pdf

We had everything translated as it was necessary to have marriage license, birth certificate, etc in english for her permanent residency application in the USA. Probably wise to have it done in Thailand as it will be more expensive to have it done in Australia later.

John

Next time you go to the Australian Embassy for whatever, take the marriage certificate to a certified translation shop in the nearby soi (soi Suan Plu), have it translated for about 400B, take the translation with you to the embassy and ask one of the embassy staff to officially certify it as a true and correct translation.

I have had my marriage certificate, and all my kids birth certificates stamped such, and they are fine for use with any Aussie govt. departments after being officially certified.

Cost - free. :)

All good advise above, though think you will need a few more things translated if apply for a spouse visa in OZ. Did mine 9,10 years ago [should say wife's ] and they wanted a lot of paper work translated. probably best to see what you will need and get it all done by the same translation service at once. Jim

Next time you go to the Australian Embassy for whatever, take the marriage certificate to a certified translation shop in the nearby soi (soi Suan Plu), have it translated for about 400B, take the translation with you to the embassy and ask one of the embassy staff to officially certify it as a true and correct translation.

I have had my marriage certificate, and all my kids birth certificates stamped such, and they are fine for use with any Aussie govt. departments after being officially certified.

A consul that does things for free??

Its daylight robbery down at the Brit consulate.

Thanks folks. I'll do it later with whatever else needs translating.

Maybe this was a few years ago ? When I went to the Australian Embassy this year the lady at the office charged me to witness my Statutory Declaration ( that I was single). I think it might be a little earner for her.

The shiela charging for a witnessing at the Oz Embassy is risking her job.Given that the embassy is Oz turf and the Dept of Justice specifically prohibits officials from charging a fee-to-witness, you should have asked for an official receipt..or for a squiz at her boobs or something similar.

Thanks folks. I'll do it later with whatever else needs translating.

Maybe this was a few years ago ? When I went to the Australian Embassy this year the lady at the office charged me to witness my Statutory Declaration ( that I was single). I think it might be a little earner for her.