Jet Ski Scam Pattaya When Will It Stop

saintofsilence

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As of this point in time, just who is a victim is only possible to establish on the beach when it happens. The police at the station (and those are the only ones I can comment on) may suspect a scam but proving anything that either party says is hardly possible and they themselves offer that court case option if agreement cannot be reached between parties. I like it less than you I suspect because I have been in the middle of these cases but the jet skis guys are the ones with damage photos (doctored or otherwise) and most victims do indeed admit damage but disagree on settlement issues. City Hall were supposed to have patrols to deal with these cases on the spot or at City Hall and not police station officers.

As of this point in time, just who is a victim is only possible to establish on the beach when it happens. The police at the station (and those are the only ones I can comment on) may suspect a scam but proving anything that either party says is hardly possible and they themselves offer that court case option if agreement cannot be reached between parties. I like it less than you I suspect because I have been in the middle of these cases but the jet skis guys are the ones with damage photos (doctored or otherwise) and most victims do indeed admit damage but disagree on settlement issues. City Hall were supposed to have patrols to deal with these cases on the spot or at City Hall and not police station officers.

When my friends were involved in one of these scams a few years ago where pictures of the damage were available,and where it was clear that it was only a scratch and some minor damage to the rubber on the side, the police didn't talk the way you explain now.

The initial claim was 60.000 Baht, which a girlfriend of one of my friends talked down to 40.000 Baht and which the scammers signed an agreement for.

The actual damage was maybe 5000 Baht tops, so I decided to take the case to Soi 9 because I was so stupid to think they would be at our side. Upon arrival it was very clear that there was no cooperation,and the claim went back to 51.000 Baht, regardless the fact that my friends had a bill where the scammers had signed for an agreement of 40.000 Baht.

Let me also tell you that all negotiation happened between a foreign police volunteer and the scammer in private, as I was told better not to be involved since they were violent.

My friends were also straight upon arrival made clear by the foreign police volunteer that the scum would not hold back from killing people if they tried to run away,and that they better could pay up.

When I suggested my friends not to pay unless they would agree with the signed agreement, the Thai Police volunteer started talking very rude and loud demanding their passports and said the Thai law stated that they would be conficated untill they paid up.

Since my friends were the first time in Thailand and supposed boarding their plane only 5 hours down the road,you can guess what the final outcome was.

Shame on those who are in the knowledge and still defend the soi 9 inhabitants.

In these disputed cases it is ,surely, the duty of the police to advise both parties to take their case to civil litigation, and to protect all parties from violence and intimidation. I seriously doubt that the scammers would be prepared to stand in front of a judge with their photoshopped "evidence" and claims for x10 realistic repair costs.

There seems to be plenty of evidence that the local police are advising "victims" to pay up and avoid any trouble.

• Like 1

For a long time - and since 2009 at least - foreign police volunteers were strictly forbidden to get involved in jet ski cases for a variety of reasons. That has recently been relaxed to a point where they take details and offer the same options as Thai inspectors of which one is as described above. No one is defending anyone here but stating what has been observed within a station environment where police are not involved at all in monetary settlements.

When my friends were involved in one of these scams a few years ago where pictures of the damage were available,and where it was clear that it was only a scratch and some minor damage to the rubber on the side, the police didn't talk the way you explain now.

The initial claim was 60.000 Baht, which a girlfriend of one of my friends talked down to 40.000 Baht and which the scammers signed an agreement for.

The actual damage was maybe 5000 Baht tops, so I decided to take the case to Soi 9 because I was so stupid to think they would be at our side. Upon arrival it was very clear that there was no cooperation,and the claim went back to 51.000 Baht, regardless the fact that my friends had a bill where the scammers had signed for an agreement of 40.000 Baht.

Let me also tell you that all negotiation happened between a foreign police volunteer and the scammer in private, as I was told better not to be involved since they were violent.

My friends were also straight upon arrival made clear by the foreign police volunteer that the scum would not hold back from killing people if they tried to run away,and that they better could pay up.

When I suggested my friends not to pay unless they would agree with the signed agreement, the Thai Police volunteer started talking very rude and loud demanding their passports and said the Thai law stated that they would be conficated untill they paid up.

Since my friends were the first time in Thailand and supposed boarding their plane only 5 hours down the road,you can guess what the final outcome was.

What was the name of the Police Volunteer?

What was the name of the Police Volunteer?

I don't recall the name of the Volunteer,and anyway it would be removed if I posted it here, but I remember he told me he was living in the Bangsare area.All this happened in November 2010.

On & On & On the Circus goes.

While there is so much money being made by all parties it will NEVER be stopped.

It could be but it wont be

Sorry , but it would be like trying to make Pattaya a sex trade free zone..........oooooooops !

cheesy.gifsorry.gif

It should be pointed out that foreign police volunteers are there to bridge language gaps, give advice and help explain procedures in the stations but are not - repeat not - authourised to decide outcomes of any case - criminal or civil. That is the sole responsibility of Thai police officers.The case mentioned above would lead to dismissal of a volunteer and hopefully he is no longer part of any such group.

It should be pointed out that foreign police volunteers are there to bridge language gaps, give advice and help explain procedures in the stations but are not - repeat not - authourised to decide outcomes of any case - criminal or civil. That is the sole responsibility of Thai police officers.The case mentioned above would lead to dismissal of a volunteer and hopefully he is no longer part of any such group.

But I suspect that the truth is abit different,since this all happened in the presence of many police officers,Thai and Foreign, and that the Volunteer in question is still on the job as usual.Same as the other foreigner, we met on the parking lot of the police staion upon arrival and who's picture is posted in this thread several times, who claims to work for the police.The rude Thai policeman who demanded my friends passport was also a volunteer by the way. Edited by pipo1000

Why on this gods earth do people continue to comment on jet ski scams? When your not doing that, do you stand on the beach and try to stop the tide coming in? Waste of time flogging a dead horse. You should be aware of that by now. If you dont like it, go back to where you came from. (just joking)

Perhaps our friendly turban wearing negoiater would agree.....whistling.gif

Why on this gods earth do people continue to comment on jet ski scams? When your not doing that, do you stand on the beach and try to stop the tide coming in? Waste of time flogging a dead horse. You should be aware of that by now. If you dont like it, go back to where you came from. (just joking)

Not much of a joke when when you are stung for 40K by a bunch of thugs on the beach.........grow up!

But I suspect that the truth is abit different,since this all happened in the presence of many police officers,Thai and Foreign, and that the Volunteer in question is still on the job as usual.Same as the other foreigner, we met on the parking lot of the police staion upon arrival and who's picture is posted in this thread several times, who claims to work for the police.The rude Thai policeman who demanded my friends passport was also a volunteer by the way.

maybe check some other sites and find a little about the history of the soi 9 farang police voluteers and you will have a better picture

Deputy PM demands urgent action on Pattaya Jet Ski Scams and Bar opening hours

PATTAYA:--The Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of the Interior, Police Captain Chalerm, held a meeting of Police Officers from around the region at Nong Nooch Gardens in Jomtien on Monday.

Full Story:http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/563769-deputy-pm-demands-urgent-action-on-pattaya-jet-ski-scams-and-bar-opening-hours/

PATTAYA:--The Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of the Interior, Police Captain Chalerm, held a meeting of Police Officers from around the region at Nong Nooch Gardens in Jomtien on Monday.

Full Story:http://www.thaivisa....-opening-hours/

Now let me guess which one of both will be enforced..............

A bit confusing as I reckon most of the jet ski scammers are redshirt supporters.

He wants the local police to stop it? Is he having a laugh? To stop it they need a strong national or at least province level force to clean house here.

Edited by Jingthing

worst thing ive ever read on this forum !

Unbelievable.

A bit confusing as I reckon most of the jet ski scammers are redshirt supporters.

and how did you reckon that?

Full Story:http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/563769-deputy-pm-demands-urgent-action-on-pattaya-jet-ski-scams-and-bar-opening-hours/

Looks like the extortion price is set to rise. :(

• Like 1

He wants the local police to stop it? Is he having a laugh? To stop it they need a strong national or at least province level force to clean house here.

I agree. Ban the practice of jet ski rentals entirely, then arrest and jail anyone attempting to continue to practice. Pretty simple, but as you say, the BiB from BKK will have to run the show as all of the local plod are implicated through inaction. A few hundred military troops placed on Beach Rd should do the trick.

Developments...???!!! Today around 18.30, despite nice weather and usually rush hour for the renters, trying to pick up victims along Beach Road: Most skies gone (home) already, a few scamsters sitting quietly away from their usual location. I watched the area for a while and could bet there was several small groups of undercover policemen, mainly opp. MS observing. Watched one of the guys waving off a couple of darkened-out silver vans coming down the road and pointing to a Soi further down. As nothing was to happen without the jets being rented, I left and will check again tomorrow. Might be wrong, but reading the above article it starts making sense. Time will show. At least a day without people being victimized.

Seen these crackdowns many times before the scammers must receive word from the corrupt B.I.B they just go quiet for a few days and then back at it.

Cameras are recording along the whole length of the beach including some pointing directly at scammers who scam and extort almost every day.

Set up one office only where tourists buy jet ski tickets and leave their passports this should stop scammer mafia from getting tourists hotel addresses.

Remove the Corrupt cops including and any corrupt marine police take action on any that may have made threats to harm or scare Pattaya city council officials .

Make sure that every location is under surveillance and advise scammers that moving away from that location to avoid cameras will be prosecuted ,inspect recordings everyday of the scammers and use the full force of law to take all the scum off the beach.

Inspect sd cards in cameras and prosecute lawbreakers that edit images.

Ensure that no tourists are taken away to other locations to be threatened and extorted .

These are only some things that need to be done urgently but unlikely to happen