Jet Ski Scam Pattaya When Will It Stop

saintofsilence

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the scams still going on daily? I don't walk the beach much these days.

my first trip to the beach today.

having collected my "hansum man " disguise at swampy i did a brief stealth sweep along the beach from mikes back towards walking st. not much happening, not many tourists about and starting to spit with rain about 16 15. some of the old worn and faded beach umbrellas have been replaced and a lot of tree cover hacked back but otherwise it's like i haven't been away.

and so it was no great shock to find the old guy (looks like an extra from the water margin) shouting at a group of indians right next to the jet ski's opposite the best friend bars.

so the answer to the above question is sadly yes

Yeah Striderman, you're the best, keep up the good work. If you like i can order a superhero cape and mask for you on your crusade to put a stop to this horrible jet ski scam that is truly one of the worlds biggest issues at the moment.

This is one of the worst threads going, it's like every page is almost the same - very boring!

thank you and others for your kind words but i think i might stand out a bit in a cape.

for those of you who find the thread boring it's easy go and read something else.

there is currently some pressure from above to sort the problem out but this being Thailand any measures thought up are likely to be as effective as shuffling deck chairs on the ss Titanic.

that being the case this thread is to try and warn people esp first timers of the possible financial downside of renting a ski and if i and others on here have prevented some of them being conned then it will have been worth it.

meanwhile i did a brief walk along the coconut bar just before the afternoon rain showed up

1 scam involving 4 indians opposite svensons ice cream royal garden plaza.

1 scam involving a lone youngish european just to the right of mike shopping mall steps. time for both events about 16 30 and i got a good soaking for my troubles !!

guess they don't read thai visa

oh and thankyou for keeping the thread open arnold. !

Edited by striderman
  • Like 1

another day another dollar but as this is pattaya another scam

time 16 30, location just south of the LK hotel on beach road.

i thought i had an ongoing incident (i have had a lot of practise scoping them ohyesuare ) and to confirm my guess as i walked by a member of pattaya's finest showed up to help solve the problem.

outcome for the indians involved unknown, i can't hang about to keep safe i keep moving.

Yes, when will it stop? So sad that tourists, particularly Indians, are getting extorted each day. They save up to come to Thailand to have a good time, and then get their vacations ruined.

Are the scams still going on daily? I don't walk the beach much these days.

my first trip to the beach today.

having collected my "hansum man " disguise at swampy i did a brief stealth sweep along the beach from mikes back towards walking st. not much happening, not many tourists about and starting to spit with rain about 16 15. some of the old worn and faded beach umbrellas have been replaced and a lot of tree cover hacked back but otherwise it's like i haven't been away.

and so it was no great shock to find the old guy (looks like an extra from the water margin) shouting at a group of indians right next to the jet ski's opposite the best friend bars.

so the answer to the above question is sadly yes

Yeah Striderman, you're the best, keep up the good work. If you like i can order a superhero cape and mask for you on your crusade to put a stop to this horrible jet ski scam that is truly one of the worlds biggest issues at the moment.

This is one of the worst threads going, it's like every page is almost the same - very boring!

as in on every page there are reports of people getting scammed/ripped off/threatened with violence by the jet ski thugs?

I would never have thought that with the title Sherlock, thanks for pointing it out thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

in bangkok at 12 o'clock they foam at the mouth and run but mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.(noel coward)

i tend to leave it a bit later.

today at 17 30 three luckless Indians opposite the pizza co / svensons ice cream royal garden plaza.

saw the money change hands but it was too fast for me to get a shot of that off. the deal was done after the lead Thai appeared to signal ok lets go down to the police station and sort it there.

Chonburi governor sets new committee to address jet ski issue

Friday, 17 August 2012

Chonburi’s governor has established yet another committee to discuss regulations aimed the endless series of tourist scams perpetrated by Pattaya’s jet ski operators

Under pressure from both the Prime Minister’s Office and the Tourism Authority of Thailand, Gov. Khomsan Ekachai Aug. 9 named Pattaya mayor, deputy mayor and permanent secretary, Banglamung District’s chief and the city’s acting police chief to the panel which will “brainstorm new ideas” for drafting regulations concerning registration, limiting the number of jet skis and evaluating damage compensation and penalties for scammers.

n8Jet%20ski-1.jpg(L to R) Deputy Mayor Ronakit Ekasingh, Mayor Itthiphol Kunplome, Chonburi Governor Khomsan Ekachai, Chonburi Police Deputy Commander Pisit Proirungroj, and Banglamung District Chief Chaowalit Saeng-Uthai discuss problems facing tourism in Pattaya.

“The jet ski issue is a long standing one and it is time that it must be seriously dealt with,” Khomsan said. He said once the committee has drafted new rules, they will be given to the governor who pledged to “completely eradicate the issue.”

Athapol Vannakit, director of TAT’s Pattaya office, can only hope he does. But he has reason to be skeptical. The new committee is the third established in the past two years and comprised of many of the same officials who, so far, have done little more than wring their hands and posture for reporters before doing nothing to resolve the problem.

Foreign governments, he told the governor, are not waiting around.

continues http://www.pattayama...ski-issue-15636

Edited by StealthEnergiser

“brainstorm new ideas”

Christ on a bike - its not rocket science is it ! How about the police force getting off their <deleted> and spending a tiny fraction of their precious time: SERVING and PROTECTING the public.

And that mayor sitting there with a straight face while all this goes around him - blo00dy shameful sad.png

• Like 1

meanwhile while the air is thick with talk and meetings, where the rubber meets the road it is business as usual.

out earlier today but still picked one up going down just to the right of the mike shopping mall steps about 15 30.

2 indians ( as i strolled by i heard one of the indians say 15,000 bht a demand or an offer i don't know which) and it looked like they off in the direction of soi 9.

i got talking further down the beach to MJB the pattaya cartoonist and by the time i came back at 16 15 they were all back at the scene with no sign of the cops so i suspect they never got to soi 9

In a comprehensive report to the Tourism Authority of Thailand, the consulting firm stresses that both new and experienced travelers to the Kingdom worry most about their safety while here. Some of those surveyed report having lost confidence in Thailand given their negative experiences in having been cheated or victims of crimes. Others point to misunderstandings during their travels here and to violent crime in Bangkok and in major beach resorts, including Pattaya.

Eureka surveyed 3,640 respondents from 14 countries that are key sources of tourist– both first-time and repeat travellers. The goal was to determine Thailand’s image in the eyes of foreign tourists. Safety was overwhelmingly the main issue, with other factors such as tourism crisis management and 24-hour tourist hot-lines also scoring strongly. Returning tourists from China and western Europe in particular had little confidence because of their bad experiences here.

http://pattayatoday.net/news/latest-edition/safety-is-key-to-tourist-numbers/

Christ on a bike - its not rocket science is it ! How about the police force getting off their <deleted> and spending a tiny fraction of their precious time: SERVING and PROTECTING the public.

And that mayor sitting there with a straight face while all this goes around him - blo00dy shameful sad.png

[/quote

farangs are not considered part of the thai public

[/quote

I beg to differ - there is a division called the TOURIST Police, this indicates that the local authorities recognise they have some responsibility for the safety and well-being of visitors to our fine city.

[/quote

I beg to differ - there is a division called the TOURIST Police, this indicates that the local authorities recognise they have some responsibility for the safety and well-being of visitors to our fine city.

Unfortunately, according to a lady I spoke to at the TAT/Tourist Authority of Thailand, the Tourist Police are rotten.

slightly off topic but has anyone seen the farang tourist policeman at the entrance to walking street blasting on a whistle and waving and flashing his flashlight at cars, its hillerious and well worth a look

• Like 1

furthering anglo /thai relations delayed me to beach rd this afternoon which was awash with colour and marching bands.

so it was 17 20 as i strolled the hard sand at the waters edge for a change and came across a lone indian in bother just south of the royal garden plaza. a big bloke but heavily outnumbered who had tried and failed in an attempt to leave the beach. nice twist with 2 of the crew defending him from the others in a good cop bad cop system. 1st time i have actually seen physical force used.you have to remember what you are watching is a game, a play that they have enacted many times. it's theatre.

i get 1 brief shot as i trudge south as another one unfolds almost on top of me directly opposite pattaya walk. i see 2 crew signal to 2 indians in the bay and also signal the rest of the crew up on the coconut bar to get ready.

i know what's coming seen it before and of course i was right.

so that was 2 in about 50 mtrs of sand.

time to exit stage left

" The new committee is the third established in the past two years and comprised of many of the same officials who, so far, have done little more than wring their hands and posture for reporters before doing nothing to resolve the problem."

They need time to agree on how much tea money they should get from this thriving business in Pattaya .

There is a person in a photo on this link that has his picture in many photo's on the Mayors facebook page and this person has been photographed again still working with jet ski gangs this week I am unable to say what other local site it is on due forum rules so I will have to keep it a secret.

but here is a link which shows him being involved in alleged extortion.

http://www.pattayaon...-pattaya-condo/

Now some of these people have been involved in jet ski scams in full view of police for years and still do .

It just shows how that nothing at all has been done.

ps: some people may remember the photo of the big russian lady standing up to this same guy.

Stop the people that are allowing this guy on the beach and it may be start.

Edited by StealthEnergiser

It looks ever more likely that something dire will happen - beyond tourists getting extorted each day. The dam is going to breach. One or more people will get knifed, or something like that. The prior post to this shows a bit of the sleuthing that's being done BY FARANG. Of course, by farang, because Phuket Thai authorities can't be trusted to do what's right. Namely: shut jetski rental biz's down 100% and prosecute the law-breakers to the full extent of the law.

Until then, expect more of the same: scams and ruined vacations.

Why doesn't every hotel warn their guests about this? A relatively simple procedure, either hand out a warning letter along with their room key, breakfast vouchers, etc. when guests check in; or have the reception staff verbally tell them not to rent jet skis, or to only use a particular rental company that they trust. Most hotels must be aware of it by now, so this would be a guaranteed way to communicate with every tourist who stays in Pattaya and could go a long way to snuffing out the problem. On the off-chance that some hotels don't know yet, or haven't thought to do this, there must be communication channels with email databases via TAT or whatever to spread the word to every Pattaya hotel.