Jet Ski Scam Pattaya When Will It Stop

saintofsilence

Baht bus mafia scam - when will it stop?

Double pricing scam - when will it stop?

Beach chair scam - when will it stop?

Motor bike rental scam - when will it stop?

Should i go on....

are you just a wind up merchant or what, there have been threads on all of these on this forum but if you insist feel free to start another one of your own, just kindly stop deflecting this one with your jibberjabber

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday, in the dreaded "mikes" location, I warned a young SA couple. I pretended to be talking on the phone, and whispered 'they want to rob you', while shifting my eyes towards the scummers. The guy heard me, and I hope he listened.

This is the funniest thing i have read today, you a 007 wannabe?

PHUKET CITY: It’s official. Following a deal signed at Phuket Provincial Hall today, Phuket jet-ski operators will now be required to get mandatory insurance for their machines.

Phuket Jet-ski Association President Anusorn Sahreh signed the deal with Saiwalee Sakornjit of Ayudhya Insurance Public Company Limited just before noon.

Mr Anusorn complained that hotels had erected signs telling their customers not to rent jet-skis.

“Now that we’ve all agreed to get jet-ski insurance, we ask for understanding and for people to support and promote us again,” he said.

http://www.phuketgaz...ail.asp?id=7884

As I noted previously, this would get people's attention. Apparently it did. Now, Pattaya hoteliers, protect your guests and do same.

Is it right to say all jetski hirers are conmen? I think not. For 6 years, 5 weeks per year, I have seen many people hire a jetski on the part of Pattaya beach where I chill out (near Soi 4). In all that time I've only ever seen one argument over damage to a jetski and that was when two English lads' jetskis actually collided. There were about 6 English guys and the jetski operator got about the same number of Thais to help his case. There was some arguing but it did not turn nasty in any way and the matter was resolved and beers were brought and shared around. Credit to both parties. Of course we all know there are many bad apples and we all know where they operate and no doubt the "authorities" know exactly who they are. The good operators could make a stand against the bad, but it is very much easier said than done. 44 pages of topic and hard to see an achievable solution. Awareness must be maintained, but the good should not have to suffer for the sins of the bad.

champers, i do not live in pattaya i only visit and i have stealth photos of at least 93 scams on pattaya beach.

i hope to be back soon and i hope i cannot get to the 100 mark by the time i go back.

but i am not optomistic.

smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast !!!!!

and that is since april 2010

Edited by striderman

Striderman, I know there are very many "at it" and I'm sure it'll be easy for you to find them, but I'm equally sure that there are honest jetski operators in Patts. How could you tell the difference if you were a first time visitor?

There may be some honest operators on Pattya beach, but not between Mikes and Walking street, of that you can be sure.

I don't believe there are any honest operators along the whole length of the beach as the mafia spread their wings and I have seen them every where.

Also seen the indian guy with the turban and an iranian who was in the headlines for an extortion attempt on tourists travel the full length of the beach . Don't trust any of them .

There was another fight involving the gang from mikes with 3 indians who rented, the big and kind of fat guy followed the 3 to Soi Honey inn and second Rd. When they did not pay he started punching them. Apparently this was reported on the banglamung thai news channel after it happened a few days ago, I don't have that cable so I did not see it. Some venders that I know there told me about this which attracted a large group of people when it was happening.

There was another fight involving the gang from mikes with 3 indians who rented, the big and kind of fat guy followed the 3 to Soi Honey inn and second Rd. When they did not pay he started punching them. Apparently this was reported on the banglamung thai news channel after it happened a few days ago, I don't have that cable so I did not see it. Some venders that I know there told me about this which attracted a large group of people when it was happening.

if I gotten these thieving f'cks that far from the beach I'd have hammered the f'ck out of them, but I guess these guys didn't know what was going on, the authorities should follow up that case right there - if they don't then it's back to business as usual - a clear message needs to be sent that this behavior will not be tolerated

It really angers me but it also serves as a lesson to all living here or on holiday - there is a pecking order and falangs are at the bottom

disgusting

still scamming at Mikes, one today about 2pm, jetski 192 I think, setup so that a scratch shows near the waterline on left front and the grey bumber bar on the back comes loose on the left side, went past 2 hours latter and they were still negotiating

Just a reader of this forum normally from afar, but here now and must admit did something quite stupid last week. I know how the game works, seen it - always warn people when possible even though I just visit once a year. Should've done as everyone else does and just pretend I didn't see the scam and simply walk, but a feeling of right and wrong took over....guess I provoked them as I stood staring head on and refused to leave holding a cell phone in my hand.

One thing lead to another and I took an open-handed blow from a blind side, then reality came to light - no one would help so I just left, leaving the scammers to their prey. Do owe big thanks to a Thai man who walked me out of the situation before the cops showed up.

But it occured to me nothing will change as long as people only talk about it whether here or anywhere else. Seems a Ghandhi style protest would bring the problem into the light and perhaps

the authorities would be forced into changing.

What would happen if 100 - 200 people farang and/or Thais stood in their face while they try to do this evil? Next time 300 people....if people want to change things they must act, but I can speak first hand one person cannot make a difference here.

I know I was stupid, and lucky to walk away in one piece, but would gladly stand with others to drive them out. It's one thing for authorities to say 1,2, even 10 farangs are trouble makers and should be thrown out, but 300,400,500? Just a thought from a rookie.

The assault in broad daylight should be on the CCTV.

Too bad you can't trust the Police.

Pattaya Mayor, March 2011:

"...we have more investigations and implement our plan for keeping police out of any negotiations."

"You may have reservations about the police but there are some good ones and i know who they are."

"Ittaphols intent is to keep police out of the disputes, as both national and tourist police officers have been caught on video and photos helping the jet ski vendors extort.."

"I met with the police and asked them to move quickly"

"Today a meeting was held at my office between myself, Pattaya Chief of Police, Chief of Pattaya Tourist Police and other Gov organizations. We have some plans to change the way the Jet Skis operate."

"Mayor Itthiphol Kunplome launched his second term with a meeting with Pattaya police to resolve long-running issues"

Ko Laan Jet Ski scam report

October 18, 2012.

"We hired a sea scooter for 30 min drive. When we returned the scooter were told that the scooter is damaged and we have to pay 40,000 baht for repair. The whole mafia gathered and threatened us. Finally we settled for an amount of 7,000 baht. Later we learned that there was another group of people who were entrapped in the same way 15 min ago and they paid 8,000 baht for the same scooter. Police is also with them. On the way back to India my fellow passenger told me that they went through the same situation and were made to pay a mind boggling 75,000 baht. Plz friends beware of going there. These mafia guys are very well connected. I couldn't find a way to complain online to the responsible authorities."

I was in koh laan last month and I got one of the problem jet skis. I saw that the bumper was beginning to come off and the screws were rusty. I let them know and they supposedly took a picture. Against better judgement and knowing full well that the bumper would come off, I set off anyway. As expected, after 20 minutes of hard riding, the bumper came off slightly and bent out at a 90 degree angle. I decided to take it in early and the whole way back to shore, I was thinking about how to deal with the situation. Basically, confrontation or negotiation? Well... Surprise surprise! There was no problem. He just smiled and popped it back in to place. It could be that we are southeast Asian (mainly from Laos) and many in the party of 8 also spoke fluent Thai. We also spent a lot of money on the beach chairs, food and beer. Even if I wanted to start a fight, my group would lose big time. It's a freaking island and there's nowhere to go except via the boat you hired. Plus, all the thais, regardless if they're from the same jetski posse, would gang up on your group.

Summary: Not everyone gets scammed.

"...then reality came to light - no one would help..." That is a very perceptive thought. All that may be done is to get a victim to the hospital.

This scam is 'big money' - in other words a Thai Mafia operation. Therefore, if the upper levels want you gone, you will become a headless floating corpse. Consider what happened to the Sicilian officials who took on the Cosa nostra. The 'real' Pattaya is not the idyllic paradise that the real estate cartels and tourism officials would have us believe

So now the " thai jet ski mafia" are onthe same level as the Italina Cosa Nostra - please......

The question is "When will it stop??"

Answer : - Never

Unless another scheme that produces cash replaces it.

The Thread has been going for over a year with plenty of publicity globally ,BUT , not much has changed.

In the end it is endemic in the system

At the end of the day it is part of the County make up & to avoid being involved don't use a jet Ski in Thailand

Easy

BUT don't expect it to stop.

Next thing you know you'll expect Heroin to stop being sold

Or a Politician to keep an election promise in USA,Australia,UK etc.

Or even wars to stop over Oil Producing Countries

OMG !!!

I was in koh laan last month and I got one of the problem jet skis. I saw that the bumper was beginning to come off and the screws were rusty. I let them know and they supposedly took a picture. Against better judgement and knowing full well that the bumper would come off, I set off anyway. As expected, after 20 minutes of hard riding, the bumper came off slightly and bent out at a 90 degree angle. I decided to take it in early and the whole way back to shore, I was thinking about how to deal with the situation. Basically, confrontation or negotiation? Well... Surprise surprise! There was no problem. He just smiled and popped it back in to place. It could be that we are southeast Asian (mainly from Laos) and many in the party of 8 also spoke fluent Thai. We also spent a lot of money on the beach chairs, food and beer. Even if I wanted to start a fight, my group would lose big time. It's a freaking island and there's nowhere to go except via the boat you hired. Plus, all the thais, regardless if they're from the same jetski posse, would gang up on your group.

Summary: Not everyone gets scammed.

No, but maybe it's because you were in Koh Larn and not Pattaya beach!

"...then reality came to light - no one would help..." That is a very perceptive thought. All that may be done is to get a victim to the hospital.

This scam is 'big money' - in other words a Thai Mafia operation. Therefore, if the upper levels want you gone, you will become a headless floating corpse. Consider what happened to the Sicilian officials who took on the Cosa nostra. The 'real' Pattaya is not the idyllic paradise that the real estate cartels and tourism officials would have us believe

So now the " thai jet ski mafia" are onthe same level as the Italina Cosa Nostra - please......

First, I think you enjoy flaming people. you maybe a nice guy, but your posting behavior suggests otherwise. However, I will respond by saying that, the Jet Ski scan is only one operation, and elements of the Thai Mafia have been, and perhaps still are, linked to the Cosa Nostra - as described in the following referenced citation:

"In 1981, Gaspare Mutolo, who would become a pentito in 1992, organized a 400 kilogram shipment of heroin to the US. The Cuntrera-Caruana clan received half of the load, while John Gambino of the Gambino Family in New York took care of the other 200 kilograms. The shipments were financed by consortium of Sicilian Mafia clans, who had organized a pool to provide the money to buy the merchandise from Thai suppliers. The system in the heroin-business was that every Mafia-family could invest in a shipment if it had the money. The Cuntrera-Caruana clan were the trusted buyers who supplied the market in North America.[1] http://en.wikipedia....uana_Mafia_clan

As has been stated by numerous members, including some Mods', the main purpose of this topic is to try and prevent somebody becoming a victim. I suggest that you look beyond your own need for attention, and conduct yourself accordingly.

One example but anyway - truce.

I am by the way a very nice guy.

Whinging or complaining in Thailand ain't going to cut it; the only and anyway to stop this tourists being scammed is to educate them before arriving. It's high time government agencies from the various countries started to look after their citizens. The very least it would make a great advertising campaign by any other country with identical tourist attractions to capture the market. A negative campaign against Thailand and its many many scams and corruption would go a long way to fixing a few problems. Thailand's economy relies on the tourist dollar and without it they are are up shit creek without a paddle. This is far from Thai-ness its plain commonsense and smart-ness.