Improvement Plan For Suvarnabhumi Airport Link Service

webfact

AIRPORT LINK

Improvement plan for Airport Link service

By Watcharapong Thongrung

The Nation

The Transport Ministry plans to buy five more trains in 2014 to increase the frequency and efficiency of the Airport RaIlRail Link service, the rail route that links Bangkok's central area to Suvarnabhumi Airport.

According to the long-term railway development plan, the ministry will buy five more trains to increase frequency of rail services to eight minutes from the current 15 minutes per arrival.

Deputy Minister Kittisakdi Hathasongkroh said yesterday that |the ministry would also increase the efficiency of the Airport Rail Link service. The improvement plan is divided into three stages. First, the Airport Rail Link will increase frequency of trains, rearrange traffic system, facilities and prepare commercial spaces. The next stage will include procurement of new trains for the City Line. Finally, it will procure five more new trains in 2014. At this stage, the Makkasan Station's surrounding area will be developed as a complex and the Airport Link route will be extended from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Dong Mueang Airport.

Kittisakdi said the ministry would start providing additional trains on November 1 to increase its frequency as planned in the first stage, expecting that this could carry more passengers to achieve 140,000 per month.

Yesterday, Airport Rail Link also launched a new campaign of its services named "Mr Airport Link" to provide solutions when any problem arises.

Currently, SRT Electrified Train Co is reviewing conditions or terms of reference of the bidding for its rental spaces at eight stations in accordance with the Transport Ministry's policy. In the initial stage, it will increase to more than 1,300 square metres of rental space for duty-free shops on |the third floor of the Makkasan Station. The rental spaces will be divided into general shops and duty-free shops.

The company will also discuss |with the Customs Department |about providing space for renting to bonded warehouses for duty-free shops.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-09-22

This is a disgrace.....

Five years for more trains??? Who are they trying to kidd? That isn't a plan, that is a mean joke, on the riders.

Who cares about more commercial space? Is there a problem with people not being able to find a place to shop in Bangkok? No, I didn't think so.

The problem is the service on the Airport Link and people need a solution NOW, not in five, or more, years.

Since when is development of the surrounding area at Makkasan station a Transportation Ministry subject matter? Why is the transportation Ministry involved in development issues at a particular station? Moreover, if development occurs at Makkasan, it will make the poor service even worse because of the increase in ridership.

It seems to me that the Transportation Ministry still does not understand that the Airport Link line is a commuter line for local workers and residents. The huge majority of riders are local residents going to work, shop, or leisure who need a convenient, predictable, and timely train. Tourist make up less than 10% of the ridership.

If the line becomes more rider-friendly for locals, it will automatically become better for tourists.

Thais: you deserve much, much better than this.

Edited by Jawnie

Aiport Link expansion to Pattaya and Don Mueang to be accelerated

BANGKOK, 22 September 2011 (NNT) - The Ministry of Transport is pushing for an expansion of Airport rail line with more stations to be added to Don Mueang and from the airport to Pattaya, Chon Buri province.

In opening of the new dimension of the airport rail service, Deputy Transport Minister Mr. Kittisak Hattasongkroh said the existing problem to the service needed to be solved quickly particularly during the peak hours where the number of services were insufficient.

Mr. Kittisak hoped the higher number of trips starting in November would be able to accommodate 140,000 more passengers per month. Other new developments include the expansion of the rail line to Pattaya and Don Mueang and shorter arrival time for the express line from currently due to stop every 30-40 minute to 15 minute.

In addition, Mr. Wan Yubamrung, the Assistant to the Secretary of the Transport Minister, who has also been chosen to be Mr. Airport Link said that there would be a 20% discount on ticket price of the City Line for children and the elderly while passengers of the Express Line could buy the ticket at 90 THB per trip. These promotions will last until June next year.

Meanwhile, the entrance and exit areas on the station are expected to get a makeover and the alleged group of taxi drivers who has been accused of being mafia-like will be investigated.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-09-22 footer_n.gif

This is a disgrace.....

Five years for more trains??? Who are they trying to kidd? That isn't a plan, that is a mean joke, on the riders.

Who cares about more commercial space? Is there a problem with people not being able to find a place to shop in Bangkok? No, I didn't think so.

The problem is the service on the Airport Link and people need a solution NOW, not in five, or more, years.

Since when is development of the surrounding area at Makkasan station a Transportation Ministry subject matter? Why is the transportation Ministry involved in development issues at a particular station? Moreover, if development occurs at Makkasan, it will make the poor service even worse because of the increase in ridership.

It seems to me that the Transportation Ministry still does not understand that the Airport Link line is a commuter line for local workers and residents. The huge majority of riders are local residents going to work, shop, or leisure who need a convenient, predictable, and timely train. Tourist make up less than 10% of the ridership.

If the line becomes more rider-friendly for locals, it will automatically become better for tourists.

Just a question: do you actually USE the Airport Link? Because if not, why are you complaining?

And please read the article correctly, since it does not take 5 years before they get new trains (it's now 2011 and new trains will arrive at 2014).

Why doesn't the Ministry take some public input regarding station design? Approaches, access inside and outside of stations is awful - so much walking and zig-zagging up and down stairs, narrow walkways, curbs, lack of defined walkways, foot-traffic patterns that are too long or cross paths with other pedestrian paths, etc. Seems like pedestrians are the last people to be thought of in station design. Plus, if the stations were not so huge and over-built, that would solve some of the pedestrian issues.

Also, parking areas for motorcycle taxis should be designed into the group floor or other convenient area of the stations. Now, the motorcycle taxis are not even considered in station design even though the taxis are key components of Bangkok's transportation system. Currently, motorcycles are consigned to dirt areas, throw-away areas, or must set up on sidewalks and curbs after the fact. The Ministry and designers need to acknowledge that motorcycles will be present at every station and design convenient places for them to gather and pick up passengers.

I use the line 3-5 days a week - morning and evening, coming and going. I know how it operates...trust me. I've been crammed into overflowing cars while watching the empty Express Trains whiz by many, many times. I've been left stranded at stations because the trains were too full more times that I care to think about.

Please, I know the system - it is broken for local residents, which I am.

This is a disgrace.....

Just a question: do you actually USE the Airport Link? Because if not, why are you complaining?

And please read the article correctly, since it does not take 5 years before they get new trains (it's now 2011 and new trains will arrive at 2014).

Edited by Jawnie

I use the line 3-5 days a week - morning and evening, coming and going. I know how it operates...trust me. I've been crammed into overflowing cars while watching the empty Express Trains whiz by many, many times. I've been left stranded at stations because the trains were too full more times that I care to think about.

This is a disgrace.....

Hi Jawnie B)

then of course you have every right to complain. Sorry for my reaction, but since many TV posters are complaining about subjects they are not really involved in, sometimes I feel the need to tell them.

This is a disgrace.....

I don't know which school you got.It's now 2011.In 2014 more trains,that make 3 years,not 5 years.....bah.gif

This is a disgrace.....

Hi Jawnie B)

then of course you have every right to complain. Sorry for my reaction, but since many TV posters are complaining about subjects they are not really involved in, sometimes I feel the need to tell them.

Thanks for telling them. What would we do without you?

This is a disgrace.....

You need to read the article carefully before commenting. There is apparently untapped capacity available at this moment, as they plan to increase frequencies on November 1st (though they don't say by how much.) And why they haven't done it already also is a question. But at least they have a plan to soon move in the right direction. That is part of Phase 1. Later phases will include obtaining additional trains to expand capacity further, and as other readers have noted, that is intended for 3 years from now, not 5. That seems like a reasonable time frame for bidding, budgeting, and building the trains. These trains don't just sit in a showroom like a Chevrolet, waiting for buyers to walk in and say "I'll take that one."

Some people are okay with "incrementalism" in solving a problem like this. I am not, and I think they need to hear about it. Good cop/bad cop, if you will.

It still boggles my mind that so many design and implementation mistakes have occurred when the world is full of successful and well-run public transit systems as examples. The designers seem to have forgotten about the passengers when they designed Airport Link.

I've been using the line for nearly a year. The "untapped capacity" has always been there as has the over-crowding problem. But, the managers are just now responding to it. Don't you see that as a bit of a problem, also?

This is a disgrace.....

You need to read the article carefully before commenting. There is apparently untapped capacity available at this moment, as they plan to increase frequencies on November 1st (though they don't say by how much.) And why they haven't done it already also is a question. But at least they have a plan to soon move in the right direction. That is part of Phase 1. Later phases will include obtaining additional trains to expand capacity further, and as other readers have noted, that is intended for 3 years from now, not 5. That seems like a reasonable time frame for bidding, budgeting, and building the trains. These trains don't just sit in a showroom like a Chevrolet, waiting for buyers to walk in and say "I'll take that one."

Edited by Jawnie

Chalerm's son to the rescue. What a government.

Wonder how many times he's actually taken a commuter train, or bus?

Of course, 'no double standards' apparent here. Seems to fly in the face of yingluck's big statement about only appointing capable people to each position.

Guess he'll also need a diplomatic passport.

Can't wait for the news of the cushy jobs assigned to the other sons.

And I guess there's a new title for chalerm: 'World Champion Nepotism Organizer.' I wonder if there's a category for this in the Guinness Book of Records.

Edited by scorecard

If Wan Yubamrung's former appointment as 'Mr. Toilet', during which his shining aura alone was enough to vastly improve the cleanliness of public toilets in this country, is any indication, his current appointment as 'Mr. Airport Link' surely must catapult the failing service to new magnificent heights.

The right people for the right jobs!

Chalerm's son to the rescue. What a government.

Wonder how many times he's actually taken a commuter train, or bus?

Of course, 'no double standards' apparent here. Seems to fly in the face of yingluck's big statement about only appointing capable people to each position.

Guess he'll also need a diplomatic passport.

Can't wait for the news of the cushy jobs assigned to the other sons.

And I guess there's a new title for chalerm: 'World Champion Nepotism Organizer.' I wonder if there's a category for this in the Guinness Book of Records.

If there is, then this government would scoop the lot!!!!:lol:.

Some people are okay with "incrementalism" in solving a problem like this. I am not, and I think they need to hear about it. Good cop/bad cop, if you will.

It still boggles my mind that so many design and implementation mistakes have occurred when the world is full of successful and well-run public transit systems as examples. The designers seem to have forgotten about the passengers when they designed Airport Link.

I've been using the line for nearly a year. The "untapped capacity" has always been there as has the over-crowding problem. But, the managers are just now responding to it. Don't you see that as a bit of a problem, also?

This is a disgrace.....

Bidding!!!!!!!!!:blink:. No such Thai word exists B).

Wonder how they're going to get the trains to provide the promised added service as of Nov. 1?

The articles don't say... More shifting of trains for express to city or city to express?

I wasn't aware they had any/many ARL capable train cars held in reserve....

Surely they're not going to be acquiring any new ones in that short timeframe....

Kittisakdi said the ministry would start providing additional trains on November 1 to increase its frequency as planned in the first stage, expecting that this could carry more passengers to achieve 140,000 per month.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

This is a disgrace.....

Sir, the delivery times for trains is indeed between 3 and 6 years.

Of course, if the Railway Company wants to spend a h*ll of a lot more the whole route can be brought back to 2=3 years.

As for the development of the station areas, the SRT owns the ground and buildings, that is why.

The whole upgrading business is just what you tell them to do, make the line more attractive for commuters and tourists.

The Don Mueang-Suvarnibhumi connection seems to be the best idea.

This could result in a true two connected-airports situation.

Meaning the local traffic could all be diverted to DM, meaning less congestion in Suvarnibhumi.

Not menaioning, of course, the capital loss in DM and less investment in Suvarnibhumi.

The ideas are good.

Now it all depends on what will really happen.

I have never used the Airport Train and do not contemplate doing so in the future , but I have had two sets of friends who have holidayed recently in Bangkok and both sets complained about struggling up stairs with their luggage - Surely it makes sense to make usage easier if you are trying to extend that usage .

Edited by williamp

I have never used the Airport Train and do not contemplate doing so in the future , but I have had two sets of friends who have holidayed recently in Bangkok and both sets complained about struggling up stairs with their luggage - Surely it makes sense to make usage easier if you are trying to extend that usage .

Where did they struggle up stairs? Makkasan has escalators. The airport has travelators. They both have lifts.

If you're talking about having to struggle up stairs at the BTS stations ... , they are commuter stations and are not designed for people with large suitcases.

Airport Rail Link to Woo Customers with Fare Cut

The Airport Rail Link has unveiled its brand ambassador and plans to offer a fare cut and increase the frequency of its service to attract more users.

Deputy Transport Minister Kittisak Hathasongkroh said that the Airport Rail Link is a top priority in which problems must be addressed promptly.

As part of the solution, Assistant Secretary General to the transport minister Wan Yoobamrung, who is the son of Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, has been unveiled as Mr. Airport Link, the brand ambassador of the service.

He will also coordinate the problem-solving effort in order to improve the service.

Mr. Airport Link pointed out that in the short term, the company will reduce the fare for the round trip Express Line from Phaya Thai to Suvarnabhumi Airport from 150 baht to 90 baht until June next year.

Children and seniors will also be offered a 20-percent discount, effective immediately.

In addition, starting from November 1, the service frequency for the City Line will be increased during rush hours.

Wan hopes that these new measures will boost the dismal number of passengers which is currently at 1,700 for the Express Line and 37,000 for the City Line per day.

He added that the company is planning to procure five more trains, each with four-cars, under a budget of three billion baht in order to efficiently accommodate two million commuters per month as projected.

Moreover, the space inside the Makkasan Station will be revamped with the addition of duty free shops and stores in partnership with the Support Arts and Crafts International Center of Thailand.

Furthermore, links to the BTS and MRT will be constructed by 2015.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-09-22

footer_n.gif

You put your finger on the problem: the line is a mix of commuter and tourist passengers. It is foremost a commuter line, with passengers mixed in.

But, rather than saying certain types of passengers should only use certain stations, it means that all stations must serve all types of passengers. Why is it up to the passengers to figure what kind of station they are going to? This is exactly how the passengers got left out of the planning.

Phaya Thai BTS has no escalator or elevator from the BTS platform to the main platform to walk to Airport link. That is the flagship Airport Link station! I've watched families with babies in strollers carry the strollers down from the BTS platform on their way to Airport Link.

Ratchaprarop Station has no escalators from the street to the first platform - incredible. How could any planner ever justify eliminating escalators in a major downtown mass transit station?

It is so maddening to hear someone suggest the passengers are at fault for taking luggage into a station not designed for people with luggage. It's one of the lamest things I've heard in a while.

Where did they struggle up stairs? Makkasan has escalators. The airport has travelators. They both have lifts.

If you're talking about having to struggle up stairs at the BTS stations ... , they are commuter stations and are not designed for people with large suitcases.

Its always made me furious - from its initial idea 7 years ago and watching just how ineffective it is today.

The airport Link is a massive Line - And it could have stretched around Bangkok Instead - Ramkhamheang and other areas.

It could have made huge improvements to the CITY, Traffic, pollution, Commuters and actually done some GOOD for the country.

Instead it was linked to the Airport - to take money from the Taxis, and help a few tourists.

What an absolutely selfish money making idea the airport link was.

I will personally Never use it - and hope it rots to the ground. Because the creators could have helped millions of people and changed Bangkok in massive ways - but instead... we have this... :bah: