New Thai Immigration Commissioner From October 1, 2011

Dear Members,

End of his month it is tipped that we will have a new Commissioner of Immigration. Thaivisa.com are now approaching his staff about doing an interview and asking a some tough questions.

I need a list of questions for the new Commissioner. Please post your "rational" questions here so our effort can be seen as representing the forum as a whole.

There should also be a chance to have a second chance to ask for clarification from the Commissioner or his deputy on further issues raised.

Please note:The Immigration Commissioner will not take questions regarding policies of obtaining various visas at the Embassies and Consulates as this is not his responsibility (Embassy and Consular issues are handled by a different department, The Ministry of Foreign Affairs). The questions you have should be regarding extensions of stay, 90-day reporting, overstays etc etc.

Please keep this thread civil, off topic posts or bad language will be deleted. Be aware that Immigration Bureau staff will be reading this thread.

Thanks for your input!

//Edit: for easier grouping of questions I suggest the use of the following titles for corresponding posts:

• Marriage extension
  • Parent extension
  • Employment extension
  • Retirement extension
  • Dependent extension
  • Education extension
  • Annual extension for under 50s not qualifying under existing rules
  • Annual extensions in general
  • Permanent Residence
  • Thai citizenship
  • Visa-exempt entry period of stay
  • Thai ID card
  • 90-day notification of staying longer than 90 days
  • Re-entry permit
  • Uniform interpretation of rules
  • Service at border check-points
  • Corruption
  • Immigration website
  • Blacklist

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Annual extension for under 50s not qualifying under existing rules

I start with a question submitted by our Visa mods:

What plans do Immigration have to accommodate genuine long term stayers who:

- are under 50

- are not married to Thai

- do not work

- do not have 10M baht for Investment visa

Edited by Maestro

Marriage extension

i would like to ask,we expats that have been married to the same twf in my case 21years and live permantly here why cant we have 5year ext.and 180day reports.

Edited by Maestro

Retirement extension

My suggestions for those who are on "Retirement Visa - Extension of 1-year stay"

Give us a Credit card size of an ID "card" - to show that we are on Retirement - One year stay.

It will save us the trouble of carrying our Passports when moving around Thailand.

And of course, when we leave Thailand, we need our passports.

It can have all our personal info inside the ID card, like Passport number, Thai address,

full name, expiry date of extension of stay, and etc.

And also do away the 90 days reporting.

And finally, money in the bank is money in the bank, no need the three months seasoning.

Hopefully some good news will come out of it.

Thank you.

Retirement extension

With regards to long term holders of One year stay visas...

Will Immigration look into a "retirement" program that will grant extensions of stay for longer periods than one year. ie. retirement program in Malaysia that allows for 10 year visas based on home ownership/financial back up.

Immigration website

It would be very nice to have an up to date, clear and concise, Thai Immigration Web Site that had pages in both Thai and English that were identical in content and format and layout. This is so everyone is reading from the same book so to speak. My experience is that most Government websites have little similarity between the Thai and English versions making it impossible to bridge the communication gap. (I always thought this disparity was intentional)

It would also be very nice if the up to date web content was thoroughly studied by all Thai immigration officers so that there was a unified approach to how the rules and regulations were enforced and adhered to.

Another item would be the obligation of all offices to accept 90 updates via mail - no exceptions.

When a Thai National applies and receives a US Visa, the Visa is good for 10 years.

Why must we reapply for a Thai Visa every year? If it fee based, then why not allow the fee to be collected without all the paperwork.

//Edit: Visa question. Not suitable for meeting with Immigration Commissioner.

Edited by Maestro

Three questions:

1. Will Non Immigrant B visa requirements be changed to suit the new Work Permit regulations for those who are self-employed?

//Edit: Visa question. Not suitable for meeting with Immigration Commissioner.

90-day notification of staying longer than 90 days

2. For those of us who live far from an Immigration office (>50km), will Immigration return to the practice of allowing ninety day reporting at local police stations or by mail?

3. Any chance of letting Farang do unpaid volunteer work in a community without the need for a work permit? (I am not sure this is Immigration's department. It may be Ministry of Labor.)

//Edit: Work permit question. Not suitable for meeting with Immigration Commissioner.

As you are the expert, I hope you will amend my questions to accommodate your interview.

Thank you for your efforts.

TP

Edited by Maestro

i would like to ask,we expats that have been married to the same twf in my case 21years and live permantly here why cant we have 5year ext.and 180day reports.

i'm interested in a questions something along these lines.

plus maybe, "What REAL purpose does the 90 day reporting serve?", i don't see how it helps, if I was a 'bad' person and did send in my 90 day letter, but i would not put the correct information on it.

Retirement extension

I am 63 year and I have invest 5 miljon bath in a house for living 6 month every years. Why can I not have possibility to stay 6 month without to leave the country after 3 month. In my age it is very hard work.

I have invest 5 miljon bath and don´t want to put another 800000 bath in a saving account.

I am spending a lot of money when I live here and Thai-people gets workincome from me so please do something better than today.

1. Could the 90 Days reporting be done online?

Employment extension

2. If a person holds a Non Immigrant (O or B ) extension, could this applied for every 5 or 10 years instead of yearly?

Thanks

Edited by Maestro

I am holding a Permanent Residence Visa -

1. why do I need a work-permit? Why must I renew it every one or two years??

//Edit: work permit question. Not suitable for meeting with Immigration Commissioner.

Thai ID card

2. why can't I get something like a Thai ID card?

Edited by Maestro

Probably Annual extension for under 50s not qualifying under existing rules

Based in Phuket, I have to go up to to Ranong every 90 days for another 90 day stamp.

The minimum this costs me is 2000 baht made up of petrol to get there, a Burmese longtail boat, and equivalent of US$10 given to the Burmese for their entry and exit stamps. Apart from the 'profit' made from the petrol I use, very little of my 2000 baht actually stays in Thailand.

If you want to check my whereabouts every 90 days, why don't you just get me to report to Phuket Immigration every 90 days, pay your 1900 baht fee, and keep this money in the country?

Online 90-day reporting would be even better.

I dont mind going to immigration once a year for my extension, but it seems excessive to go every 90 days just to give them photocopies of documents that they already have. For me it's just a 10B 10-minute bahtbus trip, but for some people it takes all day and costs several hundred baht.

Suggestion: Change the rule for 90 day reporting for those on long term extensions, marriage and retirement, to once a year or if one changes their residence. The reporting could be done at the same time as the extension or if one moves to a different house or location. It would save immigration lots of paperwork and applicants a lot of time and paperwork. You could even allow this rule for those that have been here on long term extensions for 5 years or longer.

Thank You

Presumably Retirement extension

Would it not be feasible to offer a 3 year visa at 3 times the cost of a one year? You get the money now, cut down on repetitive paperwork etc. Most farangs would pay up front for the added convenience.

Instead of a 90 day report, replace it with a change of aboad report. The current rule punishes the 95 percent who don't abuse the system.

Cheers

Presumably Marriage extension

My question:

I have been living in Thailand for 9 years.

Have Thai Wife and Children

Have company and a business for 8 years. provide jobs and always paid my taxes

Renew my work permit and extension of stay every year. This year we had to make additional trips to get 01, 91 documentation guarantees from the revenue office (why?) Also we had to make an unnecessary 2nd visit to Pathumthani Immigration and my wife and I were very nearly killed in a motorbike accident, luckily we only sustained minor cuts and bruisers!!!!

Why cant Thailand Immigration treat long staying spouses who support children and who contribute to the economy better?

Why cant the extension of stays be longer in such cases eg. 3 or 5 years or permanent like the west after your initial few years?

Same of work permits!

Foriegn spouses with children are not treated with respect.

If a Thai wife goes to live in the west she can stay forever after a few years.

Why doesnt Thailand reciprocate?