Thai Science Ministry To Hand Out Plastic Boots To Flood Victims

Lite Beer

The Science Ministry to hand out plastic boots to flood victims

BANGKOK, 25 September 2011 (NNT)- The Ministry of Science and Technology is preparing to give out its newly-invented plastic boots to flood victims to prevent the spread of water-borne diseases.

According to Science and Technology Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi, the boots are made from a special kind of plastic which makes them light-weight and comfortable to wear.

The first 5,000 pairs have been handed to PM Yingluck Shinawatra who will give them to flood victims during her visit to affected areas.

Mr Plodprasop said the Science and Technology was studying a plan to build floating houses and was also working on local-level water management now that flooding had become more severe.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-09-25 footer_n.gif

The report takes an initiative long overdue and presents it in a mocking tone. Credit for the initiative goes back to the last floods when PM Abhisit deployed health teams. One of their recommendations was to get people to stop walking about in flip flops or barefoot. The number of infected foot wounds and parasite infections was in the thousands. These infections gummed up the health system, caused serious debilitating injuries and interefered with worker productivity.

The recommendation in the report after the flood was to provide protective foot wear. This being Thailand, the report was forgotten after the flood crisis.. Now someone woke up and said, whoa, we better act on the recommendations. At its heart, it is intended to prevent injury. The reason why such a small number are being tried out now is to see if there will be compliance and people will wear the footwear. If the boots are not worn, there is no point in distributing them. The people that came up with the recommendations were in office during the Abhisit government (as well as previous administrations). It's not a stupid idea. This effort should not be politicized as it received all party support.

The report takes an initiative long overdue and presents it in a mocking tone.

How do you see a mocking tone in these 4 sentences?

1) The ministry is handing out plastic boots.

2) The boots are made of plastic and are comfortable.

3) 5,000 pairs will be handed out by the PM.

4) The ministry is studying floating houses.

The Ministry of Science and Technology is preparing to give out its newly-invented plastic boots

<>

Mr Plodprasop said the Science and Technology was studying a plan to build floating houses

Breaking News.

Thai scientists invent the Wellington boot and are now working on their new project 'the boat'

When you are up to your arse in alligators, shin/knee high boots may not be what those affected are looking for. Those people who are the most affected are trying to get the message across as to their needs, if rubber boots was in the top 10 of their needs I would be all in favor of the jester.

If you want to know what is going on/needed in the front lines, you need to spend a few days there, visit with those affected, eat and sleep with them. A fly-in one afternoon visit by some VIP does not make for a good background for finding needed solutions.

The article does imply that the Ministry of Science and Technology just invented plastic boots...something really invented a long time ago. Kinda like Al Gore (former VP of the U.S.) claiming/implying to invent the internet. The opening of the Nation article was poorly written in not identifying/describing how these plastic/protective boots are truly different...if they are really different from many light weight plastic boots already on the market. But at least 5000 people will get some free plastic boots which will help protect them from flood water dangers....that's a good thing.

The report takes an initiative long overdue and presents it in a mocking tone. Credit for the initiative goes back to the last floods when PM Abhisit deployed health teams. One of their recommendations was to get people to stop walking about in flip flops or barefoot. The number of infected foot wounds and parasite infections was in the thousands. These infections gummed up the health system, caused serious debilitating injuries and interefered with worker productivity.

The recommendation in the report after the flood was to provide protective foot wear. This being Thailand, the report was forgotten after the flood crisis.. Now someone woke up and said, whoa, we better act on the recommendations. At its heart, it is intended to prevent injury. The reason why such a small number are being tried out now is to see if there will be compliance and people will wear the footwear. If the boots are not worn, there is no point in distributing them. The people that came up with the recommendations were in office during the Abhisit government (as well as previous administrations). It's not a stupid idea. This effort should not be politicized as it received all party support.

Much better information and explanation than the original article. Thanks.

The article does imply that the Ministry of Science and Technology just invented plastic boots...something really invented a long time ago. Kinda like Al Gore (former VP of the U.S.) claiming/implying to invent the internet. The opening of the Nation article was poorly written in not identifying/describing how these plastic/protective boots are truly different...if they are really different from many light weight plastic boots already on the market. But at least 5000 people will get some free plastic boots which will help protect them from flood water dangers....that's a good thing.

Maybe there is something "new" about the boots that have been "invented" by the ministry (but somehow I doubt that).

I didn't read the Nation article, just the NNT one in the OP. It is very short on detail. But mocking??

I liked the part about hanging on to the boots untill Yingluck can deliver them.

A real caring lot B)

I don't see any mocking going on. You just don't like the source.

I assume these are form fitting and more akin to stockings than boots. Boots that will fill with water are the last thing you'd want to be wearing in a flood.

A look around the Science Ministry website reveals the boots seem to be as you assumed.

DSC_01802.jpg

What was interesting was that the "inventor" himself...

Science and Technology Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi

apparently doesn't believe in them very much. Pictured below in red shirt in the same Ministry newsbrief

DSC_02812.jpg

Although, he's always been a maverick... like serving up lion and giraffe steaks at Chiang Mai night safari.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=477769&view=findpost&p=4511989

Edited by Buchholz

I liked the part about hanging on to the boots untill Yingluck can deliver them.

A real caring lot B)

It shows their priorities. Rather than rush them out to those in need at the first opportunity, they need to wait until PM has free time and the her publicity wagon can hitch up the media parade of photographic opportunities.

Traditionally, it would also include some sort of spin whereby the recipients are under the impression that Yingluck personally paid for all the new boots herself.

I assume these are form fitting and more akin to stockings than boots. Boots that will fill with water are the last thing you'd want to be wearing in a flood.

A look around the Science Ministry website reveals the boots seem to be as you assumed.

DSC_01802.jpg

I'm not sure he's the inventor as those are the exact same boots most Thais wear in flooded paddy fields when planting rice. Maybe it was his idea to make them orange. Whichever, I hope it helps those suferring from the floods.

The Ministry of Science and Technology is preparing to give out its newly-invented plastic boots

<>

Mr Plodprasop said the Science and Technology was studying a plan to build floating houses

Breaking News.

Thai scientists invent the Wellington boot and are now working on their new project 'the boat'

Like anything handed out for free by the gov. or organizations, these boots will end up in a barn of a distributor to be sold somewhere else.

The annual monsoon is nothing new to SEA! The catastrophic results of floods in formerly unaffected areas are caused by man made problems.From 1976 to 1987 the country lost 28% of all remaining forests! (3.1% peranno). Tendency: increasing at accelerated speed!

Another contribution to the newly discovered floods was the selfish idea building dams to protect a capital build in a swamp. When the reservoirs are full to the rim, the gates are opened and cause floods in formerly dry areas.

And what is the cause to build floating houses for people (farmers) in areas where the farmland is 5 feet under water most of the year?

In other words, even extended monsoon floods in years of ElNińo and La Nińa would not harm thecountry as they did now without the endless greed, political power play, lousy management, corruption and poor law enforcement!

The grandchildren of today's generation will live in a Bangkok that truly claims the name „Veniceof the East", runned by a government consisting of heirs of today's Jet Ski mafia! But by that time the rats have left the sinking HMS Thailand.

DSC_01802.jpg

I'm not sure he's the inventor as those are the exact same boots most Thais wear in flooded paddy fields when planting rice. Maybe it was his idea to make them orange. Whichever, I hope it helps those suferring from the floods.

yes, I'm sure he didn't invent them, I was just playing on the implication of the OP. For inventing things on his own, I think his Zoo Buffet idea was the big one.

Curious though, why he didn't think it would be a good idea to wear the boots.

DSC_02812.jpg

Almost 400,000 across Thailand have been sick due to floods

BANGKOK, 25 September 2011 (NNT)-The Ministry of Public Health revealed that almost 400,000 people had fallen ill from water borne diseases as floods continue to wreak havoc across the nation

Permanent Secretary for Public Health MD Paijit Warachit said so far there were 367,656 reported to have contracted diseases that came with the floods. The number of new patients increased by as many as 5,000 per day, but none of them has developed any severe symptoms.

The common diseases found during the flood consist of athlete's foot, flu, muscle pains, skin diseases and anxiety. Patients started to develop symptoms because the water levels have not receded.

The Public Health Ministry has instructed local hospitals and the Government Pharmaceutical Organization to produce and distribute medications to flood victims to treat those diseases.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-09-25 footer_n.gif

I hope the government are planning to hand out more than 5,000 pairs of boots then.

They can justify the expenditure on the saving in medical costs and resource, so no reason not to distribute more

I hope the government are planning to hand out more than 5,000 pairs of boots then.

I also hope the government plans on handing those few out quickly, rather than wait for whenever the PM can clear some time for it in her public relations appointment scheduler.

DSC_01802.jpg

yes, I'm sure he didn't invent them, I was just playing on the implication of the OP. For inventing things on his own, I think his Zoo Buffet idea was the big one.

Curious though, why he didn't think it would be a good idea to wear the boots.

DSC_02812.jpg

He isn't wearing the boots because Yingluk hasn't got there to hand them out yet!

PM inspects flood situation in Lopburi

image_20110925170321A009FAF7-0C00-3DD3-3146AD6541D3C90D.jpg

LOPBURI, Sept 25 - Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra visited flood-hit areas in the central province of Lopburi, pledging speedy assistance and full support for flood victims.

Accompanied by Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit and Transport Minister Sukampol Suwannathat, the prime minister arrived at Ban Mi district and was briefed by Lopburi governor Chartchai Promlert that all eleven districts were declared disaster zones and flooding was likely to remain for the next two months.

The governor asked the government to increase compensation for crops damaged by flood, as the 2,222 baht compensatory money per rai (0.4 acre) was not adequate.

The Prime Minister said she assigned the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives to conduct a survey on the damages. Currently, the government policy is to give assistance money that covers 55 percent of the damages.

The Ministry will consider more assistance for additional damages in some areas. It will discuss if some regulations related to flood assistance may be relaxed to speed up the disbursement process.

After the briefing, Ms Yingluck travelled to Thepampai Temple by a boat to hand flood relief supplies to flood victims. She gave them morale support, saying the government is ready to fully support them and compensate them for damaged houses and crops. The government will expedite paying them and repairing damaged roads.

The Interior Ministry will also provide more 500 flat-bottomed boats to help flood victims on Monday.

Ms Yingluck ordered the governor to work with school directors to find temporary classrooms for students while their schools were under water and instructed the Ministry of Labour to offer occupational training for villagers. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-09-25

DSC_01802.jpg

Haven't they all got fat legs, I wonder if he will take the credit for also inventing lard.

I also hope the government plans on handing those few out quickly, rather than wait for whenever the PM can clear some time for it in her public relations appointment scheduler.

A good idea would have been to set up floating markets in the flooded jangwats to attract tourism. TAT would fund them, they will fund anything if it's stupid.