Are You Awared Of Oil Sands

Dear Everyone,

Have you heard about OIL SANDS?

There is a company called Oilsand Quest Inc. exploring and developing oil sands permits and licences, located in Saskatchewan and Alberta, and developing Saskatchewan's first commercial oil sands discovery. It is leading the establishment of the province of Saskatchewan's emerging oil sands industry.

Canada PM Stephen Harpen calls Canada EMERGING ENERGY SUPER POWER. There is a protest in US washington white house against the KEYSTONE XL PIPELINE from Canada to Mexico. Needs approval from OBAMA administration. Obama decision will out before the end of this year 2011.

If you are a long term investor, the long term chart this BQI as of this writing positioned at OVERSOLD TERRITORY , has huge daily volume and price is almost sitting for 2 years in OVERSOLD territory.

Do you think this industry has a big potential to grow?

Yeah, what he said ... :rolleyes:

The oil has been they for a long time and everyone has known about, but it is more expensive to process than traditional drilling.

This means that at USD 80 a barrel, it may not be very interesting, but once oil prices increase again it will then make sense to go get it...

this company looks to be in the smelly brown stuff (and i dont mean tar sands)!

in recent filings they have stated that they will not survive beyond the next month or so without new funds. an emergency rights offering of new shares to existing shareholders recently failed and it seems they are now dependent on selling their best/only prospect in order to survive. They have no earnings (or even any sales) and a small amount of cash which is running out fast. The NYSE has given them a few weeks to respond to its enquiries or they will be delisted.

looks like the shares may have been going down for a reason!

Edited by wordchild

the long term chart this BQI as of this writing positioned at OVERSOLD TERRITORY , has huge daily volume and price is almost sitting for 2 years in OVERSOLD territory.

i wouldn't call the shares of an "oil" company that has never produced a single barrel and never made one penny profit "oversold".

Sounds like a typical "pump and dump" where boiler room security sales guys talk a bunch of people into buying some crappy stock.

Then they sell out their shares and/or short the stock at the peak, and finally they laugh all the way to the bank while the poor folks they duped lose their shirts.

Oil sands are for real and will be around for decades- not so for most operators without deep pockets to invest gazillions to get the oil out of the ground and to the market.

Most "opportunities" to invest in the newest and bestest need to be looked at very carefully.

Dear Everyone,

Have you heard about OIL SANDS?

Intimatley, worked on the construction of GCOS (Great Canadian Oil Sands) in the 1970's. Set up as a government of Alberta funded R/D to prove cost effectiveness for the majors. Construction of Syncrude in the 1980's as the first viable oil sands producer. Contraery to popular belief you don't need 80-90 dollar a barrel oil to make money. Syncrude produces oil for approx 13 dollars a barrel. The majors would like you to believe the higher amount but there always squeezing for tax breaks.

There is a company called Oilsand Quest Inc. exploring and developing oil sands permits and licences, located in Saskatchewan and Alberta, and developing Saskatchewan's first commercial oil sands discovery.

Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole

It is leading the establishment of the province of Saskatchewan's emerging oil sands industry.

Bullshit

Canada PM Stephen Harpen calls Canada EMERGING ENERGY SUPER POWER. There is a protest in US washington white house against the KEYSTONE XL PIPELINE from Canada to Mexico. Needs approval from OBAMA administration. Obama decision will out before the end of this year 2011.

Canada is and has been the number 1 exporter of oil to the US for quite some time now. Google US Oil Imports

Keystone pipline runs from Fort MacMurray (home of Syncrude) to PORT AURTHER Texas, not Mexico. Mexico is the number 2 net supplier of oil to the US. Keystone has been under construction for 3 years now and is virtually complete (worked on that one too) Don't worry your head, the valves will open on schedule

Contraery to popular belief you don't need 80-90 dollar a barrel oil to make money.

only ignorants -who possess a wealth of no idea- would claim that. production of crude (main producers in the Middle East) varies between USD 6 and 15 which includes overheads.

...Keystone pipline runs from Fort MacMurray (home of Syncrude) to PORT AURTHER Texas, not Mexico. Mexico is the number 2 net supplier of oil to the US. Keystone has been under construction for 3 years now and is virtually complete (worked on that one too) Don't worry your head, the valves will open on schedule

No offense, but you are confusing the almost fully completed Keystone Pipeline from Alberta to through Illinois and terminates in Cushman Ok, with the unapproved Keystone XL pipeline which will go from Alberta to Port Arthur TX.

TH

Edited by thaihome

Contraery to popular belief you don't need 80-90 dollar a barrel oil to make money.

only ignorants -who possess a wealth of no idea- would claim that. production of crude (main producers in the Middle East) varies between USD 6 and 15 which includes overheads.

Syncrude has approximately the same quality as conventional crude oil, and is therefore competitive. So long as the conventional crude oil price stays above 31.5 USD2006/boe (excluding profits) it is profitable to extract oil sands. The conventional crude oil prices in 2006 were 56 and in 2007 as much as $80 USD/boe (BP 2006). However at the same time the price of diesel, natural gas, steel and so forth used in generating the syncrude were increasing. Nevertheless it appears that tar sands will be a competitive source of oil for the indefinite future.

Oil sands are very expensive to develop and it only going to be worthwhile if the price of crude oil is very high, a lot higher than now. There is a lot of enviromental problems with this type of oil and the way it would be extracted and processed. Steer clear its a bum one. If it were to take off the world prices would be sky high due to the cost of crude.

...Keystone pipline runs from Fort MacMurray (home of Syncrude) to PORT AURTHER Texas, not Mexico. Mexico is the number 2 net supplier of oil to the US. Keystone has been under construction for 3 years now and is virtually complete (worked on that one too) Don't worry your head, the valves will open on schedule

No offense, but you are confusing the almost fully completed Keystone Pipeline from Alberta to through Illinois and terminates in Cushman Ok, with the unapproved Keystone XL pipeline which will go from Alberta to Port Arthur TX.

TH

Keystone Pipeline Map (I tried to grab a link, if you google this you'll get the map)

None taken, and thanks for not calling me names.

The whole Keystone pipeline project has several phases, the first phases involve using some existing pipelines in Canada and then going south to Cushing following existing right of ways, so was easier to build. The XL (Express Line) line is a shortcut as you can see on the map and as it's new ROW it's having more regulatory issues. The whole object of the line's is to get more Canadian oil to Port Arthur

Edited by kwonitoy

The last I heard, consumable cost for tar sand oil was a little over 30 dollar a bbl. This is about 10 to 15 years ago, add the initial investment of facilities to produce a usable product (extremely high compared to sweet crude refinery)and the reluctance to invest is understandable.

The Canadian government has been dabbling in this for several years as have several private companies who seem to get good financial support from the government.

Personally, I would be looking at investing in the hydrogen/electric vehicle development, as it may become viable in my lifetime whereas I have doubts about the tar sands.

...lots of oil co major players out there would appear to have confidence in the viability and profitability.

...hardly think these investors are all gullible neophites...???

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/01/20/oilsands-asia-idUSN2014177320110120

...visited an Alberta project 20 years ago....what a bloody eyesore...poor old mother earth...!!!

A lot depends on your view on so called "Peak Oil", what is going to happen to demand and therefore price and more importantly the timeframe - for these to pass and whether that fits your own timeframe. Also as somebody mentioned whether any alternative energy sources rise to the fore.

A couple of interesting articles that sparked my interest in the UK version of the Fool here http://www.fool.co.u...000001&mrr=0.14 and here http://www.fool.co.u...000001&mrr=0.25 but there are lots of others.

I am not convinced in the short to medium term but as with everything DYOR.

Dear Everyone,Thank you for all your comments. Yesterday closing price (Sept.27) was 30% higher than the previous close. Yes, this company does not started any commercial sale and I think it would be better to stay ahead of the crowd.Oilsands Quest Inc. (NYSE Amex: BQI) ("Oilsands Quest," "OQI" or "the Company") has entered into a non-binding Letter of Intent with a third party to sell its Wallace Creek assets for total consideration of $60 million, which includes $40 million cash at closing and a $20 million contingent payment that is subject to certain future events. The sale of the Wallace Creek property would provide the Company with the financial resources to focus on moving its largest and most advanced asset, Axe Lake, toward commercial development. "This prospective transaction is good news for Oilsands Quest shareholders. It will provide us much of the capital we need to complete the Axe Lake pilot and prove the commercial recoverability of our highest priority core asset," said Oilsands Quest Chief Executive Officer Garth Wong. "While Wallace Creek has shown considerable potential, it is not yet as well delineated as Axe Lake and is therefore considerably further away from commercial development." Oilsands Quest has held Wallace Creek in its portfolio since January 2008, when the Company purchased the 45,545-acre permit. The area is prospective for Steam Assisted Gravity Drainage (SAGD) oil sands recovery, subject to further seismic and drilling investment to delineate the bitumen reservoir more fully. The exploration program conducted over the past three years has added substantially to the geological understanding and potential of the Wallace Creek reservoir, as reflected in the transaction price.

See as you appear to have extensive knowlege of the company can you please explain what Steam Assisted Gravity Drainage (SAGD) oil sands recovery actually is...?

Hi Soutpeel!

Steam Assisted Gravity Drainage (SAGD) is an enhanced oil recovery technology for producing heavy crude oil and bitumen. It is an advanced form of steam stimulation in which a pair of horizontal wells are drilled into the oil reservoir, one a few metres above the other. Low pressure steam is continuously injected into the upper wellbore to heat the oil and reduce its viscosity, causing the heated oil to drain into the lower wellbore, where it is pumped out.

You can check this site for more informations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTpiTLV6DzI

I think this is good for long term play. If you will see the closing price yesterday Sept. 28 stood at $0.24 and while the value at $1.15 - $1.30.

the closing price yesterday Sept. 28 stood at $0.24 and while the value at $1.15 - $1.30

what value, pray tell? :huh:

Hi Naam!

I am writing this in Oct.4'11 . Update closing price yesterday Oct.3 stood at $0.21. Value is the worth of this company. Price is the one that you are seeing that fluctuates up and down. Like for example, you want to buy a car. You went to your favorite car brand showroom and you see your favorite color car "RED" and the seller told you that this is worth $20,000 and unfortunately that this car was oversold and you need to wait for another 6 months to have this (price is very high due to DEMAND is in control) but after 1 year you visit the shop again and you see the price tag at $15,000. The reason why the price drops is because this showroom has a lot of SUPPLIES.

You may send me Personal message (PM) if you want me to explain this further.

no thank you kind Sir :jap:

p.s. should i ever need an explanation concerning the price tag and value of oversold cars i will ask my dogs. i'm sure they'll come up with more rational arguments. no offence meant! :whistling:

no thank you kind Sir :jap:

p.s. should i ever need an explanation concerning the price tag and value of oversold cars i will ask my dogs. i'm sure they'll come up with more rational arguments. no offence meant! :whistling:

Or you could ask your trilingual gardener.....:D

Oil Sands are profitable, but I think it boils down to the kind of securities you are interested in buying.

Long term the ERoEI with oil sands is rather horrific (but don't mention that to the Canadians)

ERoEI = Energy Returned on Energy Invested

• 2 months later...

I just hope no one actually bought this junk! The shares remain suspended (since nov 28th) and the company have just announced an extension of creditor protection ,with a court appointed firm (ernst and young) to oversee a restructuring with a warning that the company may go bankrupt. also the resignation of a couple of the directors.