Thai Student Nazi Dress-Up Day Causes Outrage

webfact

So tell me. Do you think this banner is the work of a 'herd animal' who 'had no idea what nazis [sic] were about'? Careful now. I'd think it through if I were you.

I think who ever painted that banner carries a great deal of talent, well done.....I hope they are allowed to develop their artistic flare

What a twonk. :rolleyes:

Tunnel vision Mr understanding.....you've been fed too much colditz.........

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So tell me. Do you think this banner is the work of a 'herd animal' who 'had no idea what nazis [sic] were about'? Careful now. I'd think it through if I were you.

I think who ever painted that banner carries a great deal of talent, well done.....I hope they are allowed to develop their artistic flare

That's it? Nothing deeper than the paint on the cloth? Just artistic flair? I think the artist(s) would be thankful for your compliment, but underwhelmed by it's depth. The message is more important than the medium, and that is what you have missed. These kids weren't exactly grade K doing finger painting.

BTW, I still think they could have a better job on the Fw 190. They just didn't quite get the wing dihedral right, but maybe I'm getting a little picky under the circumstances. What do you think?

That's it? Nothing deeper than the paint on the cloth? Just artistic flair? I think the artist(s) would be thankful for your compliment, but underwhelmed by it's depth. The message is more important than the medium, and that is what you have missed. These kids weren't exactly grade K doing finger painting.

BTW, I still think they could have a better job on the Fw 190. They just didn't quite get the wing dihedral right, but maybe I'm getting a little picky under the circumstances. What do you think?

I think that hopefully teachers will give their students some idea of the horror of nazis in the future.

It does not happen time and time again at schools except in Thailand.

You are right, in many parts of the western world they have real Nazi sympathizers attending school that hold their real Nazi events outside of school. And in the US they have actual stabbings and killings regularly at schools (despite metal detectors and full time cops at the schools) but lets pretend all of Thailand is crazed because kids have now twice dressed up in Thailand in an offending way (Nazi costumes), at their fancy dress sport days, without any bad intentions.

Your right Australia even has a Nazi Political Party.

I have read the posts on this thread and there appears to be no conclusion drawn as to the exact identity of some of the caricatures, and as I have not the insight of the students into their creation, unlike others I will refrain from speculative comment on the content....

I have not studied aircraft of the bygone age, so I will bow to the superior knowledge of you and Mr wiki on that one...........I guess just a little artistic flare and interpretation crept in......what were they thinking.

Edited by 473geo

What a twonk. :rolleyes:

Tunnel vision Mr understanding.....you've been fed too much colditz.........

Perhaps my dad was there eh. :huh:

YOU have no comprehension, nothing. You sound like a 12 year old who knows nothing except what your mum can do for you. :rolleyes:

Now we can all condemn Monty Python too based on pictures ... for that matter lets condemn all things British.

Python_Mr_Hilter.PNG

german-soldiers.jpg

Exactly Nisa.Well said.

Of course they are doing obvious parody,

and not a mindless glorification of a symbolism.

A rather pertinent difference.

Geez get over it all you thin skinned people. Was this a deliberate and direct attack towards any particular group of people? Put your politically correct cards down and take a nap. The sun is still going to rise in the morning.

Go and have another Chang. Oooooooooop's perhaps not, up for school Monday. :rolleyes:

Let him get his Chang. Hell, he should grab a whole case - it's only Saturday night! :jap:

I actually think the post with the C&P info about cosplay is possibly one of the most pertinent on the entire thread.

(I think the comments about US schools and the straw man about 'pretend(ing) all of Thailand is crazed' couldn't be less so.)

Now we can all condemn Monty Python too based on pictures ... for that matter lets condemn all things British.

Python_Mr_Hilter.PNG

german-soldiers.jpg

Exactly Nisa.Well said.

Apparently not around here.

'Nisa' timestamp='1317440430' post='4735199'

I tend to agree with the Israeli Embassy and believe there was no bad intent and this is a simply the result of the general Education Curriculum, in some parts of Asia, doesn't cover the war in Europe the same as in the West.

Absolutely - piss poor educational system and ignorance.

in this case ... at the hands of a farang institution...

A what? Are you referring to Sacred Heart?

...they are not part of Europe and didn't face the same atrocities the Europe did...

-- There were atrocities on a massive and horrific scale throughout Asia.

-- The bit about "only one number (6-Million) drilled into our head in the west" is not only, to my mind false, but the sort of thing that a certain odious type of people typically say (I shall avoid using a pejorative and all too often used label).

-- Sincere question: is it indeed a fact that WWII is covered less in pre-college in the US than the civil and revolutionary war? (Or is this just something you made up like the stuff education regarding the Vietnam War?).

-- Yes, there is a lunatic fringe that takes part in things like the American Nazi party and 'many groups whose beliefs are aligned with those of the German Nazis'. They do indeed do marches, get Nazi tattoos, waive banners, have meetings, put up web sites, publish books and so on -- all allowed by the constitution. They typically have to be guarded by police when they do their crap in public. ...and these Thai kids have virtually nothing in common with them.

Now if US kids at high school did as these Thai kids did, do you think there would be an outcry? dam_n right. No, I don't think that is an analogous situation (given that one would expect there to be more awareness and more sensitivity in the US) -- but it's a lot more analogous than talking about US Neo-Nazis, et al...

EDIT for format

Seconded.

And we definitely knew a lot about ALL aspects of WWII in the schools I went to.

Maybe 'some' went to less though schools.

I kind of think Thailand was occupied by Japan.

Thailand was occupied by the Japanese during the Second World War until Japan's defeat in 1945.

http://www.state.gov...ei/bgn/2814.htm

I'd say it was occupied by its own military and bureaucratic elite even before the Japanese turned it into a freeway to Burma and Malaya with the alleged acquiescence of self-appointed Field Marshal Phibun (same link):

Although nominally a democracy with a constitutional monarchy after 1932, Thailand was ruled by a series of military governments interspersed with brief periods of democracy. Following the 1932 revolution that imposed constitutional limits on the monarchy, Thai politics was dominated for a half-century by the military and bureaucratic elite. Changes of government were effected primarily by means of a long series of mostly bloodless coups. Thailand was occupied by the Japanese during the Second World War until Japan's defeat in 1945.

It's easy to cherry-pick quotations and I certainly wouldn't trust the US State Department site as a source anyway. They forgot to mention the part about the military alliance between Thailand and Japan and the attempt to declare war on the US in 1942. Sure ... occupied. Most of Europe was genuinely occupied by Third Reich forces. How many of their legitimate governments declared war on the US?

I guess it depends on what one's definition of the word occupied is ...

The Japanese were across most of Thailand after the capitulation and there was the equivalent of Vichy, because essentially the Thais agreed to stay in Barracks and co-operate. And now re-write history to suit their nationalism and the moribund story line Siam/Thailand was never 'colonized'. Well it really is nothing but semantic pud pulling.

I have read the posts on this thread and there appears to be no conclusion drawn as to the exact identity of some of the caricatures, and as I have not the insight of the students into their creation, unlike others I will refrain from speculative comment on the content....

I have not studied aircraft of the bygone age, so I will bow to the superior knowledge of you and Mr wiki on that one...........I guess just a little artistic flare and interpretation crept in......what were they thinking.

Just one more question: Are you now or have you ever been declared legally blind? :ph34r:

Edited by MaxYakov

Python_Mr_Hilter.PNG

german-soldiers.jpg

Exactly Nisa.Well said.

You do realize I meant Python as parody, and not the kids in the school. There is informed parody and un informed parroting and the reasons for each are Yang and Yang in their opposition.

<Snipped silly, but effective, Monty Python Nazi parody pics>

Nisa: Now we can all condemn Monty Python too based on pictures ... for that matter lets condemn all things British.

Exactly Nisa.Well said.

You do realize I meant Python as parody, and not the kids in the school. There is informed parody and un informed parroting and the reasons for each are Yang and Yang in their opposition.

Yes. I was trying to say that your 'pertinent difference' wasn't likely to be recognized on this thread ('around here'). A little heavy-handed of me. There are those who get it. Nisa was probably just being facetious. But, then again, he did omit the smiley face ....

Edited by MaxYakov

Yes. I was trying to say that your 'pertinent difference' wasn't likely to be recognized on this thread ('around here'). A little heavy-handed of me. There are those who get it. Nisa was probably just being facetious. But, then again, he did omit the smiley face ....

Actually you need to see the posts above my Monty Python pic post in which people were making all sorts of speculation (determinations?) based on pictures of the event at the school. Point was if we just based the Monty Python pics on the pics alone, then it would seem they were promoting Nazism.

In the case of Monty Python, we are aware of the skits but in the school incident, none of us were there and there is no first hand account even telling us what the girls said, what the banner with the faces represented or really any context beyond the did this because it fit a red theme.

Edited by Nisa

"Nazi chic" is a term that describes the use of Nazi imagery, paraphernalia or fashion either for the exhilaration of breaking taboos or for sensational shock value, but not for the express purpose of sympathizing with the ideology of Nazism.

Cosplay is a popular phenomenon in Asia where practitioners dress up as characters from their favorite manga, video games and anime. However, while rare, cosplay in the style of Nazi Germany military personnel has become somewhat prevalent and has been documented as early as 2000.

This recent interest in Nazi cosplay is likely inspired by such Nazi-themed anime and manga like "URDA: The Third Reich" which tells a story about Nazis using time-travel to change the outcome of World War II; "Kekko Kamen", in which a naked masked superhero fights corruption at a school against such adversaries like an S+M-themed Nazi dominatrix; "The Cockpit", in which it is a Nazi Germany that wields the world's first atomic bomb; "Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade", in which Japan is taken over by Germany at the end of WWII; "Kishin Heidan", in which aliens invade Earth during WWII and form an alliance with Axis powers; and "Hellsing", a manga about a Nazi group called "the Millennium" that relocate to Brazil after the end of WWII and become vampires.

Nazi cosplayers often don't comprehend the historical implications of the uniforms they are wearing. When asked, they would respond with "We're not racist, we just like the fashion. Really." Nazi cosplaying occurs in Japan, Hong Kong and South Korea, all places that though were directly involved with World War II didn't experience the same impact of Nazi culture as the West or haven't come to appreciate the sensitivity that Westerners may have towards Nazi imagery. Of these three places, it is in Japan that amanga version of Adolf Hitler's "Mein Kampf" has been published.

http://www.chinasmac...-reactions.html

China

nazi-cosplay-19-560x358.jpg

Japan

5.jpg

Korea

nazi-chic-3-from-flickr.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_chic

If I can meet women like her where do I get my uniform? I,m in.

Me too! I know of a great used Nazi uniform shop in CM! It's right next to some kind of school ...

Python_Mr_Hilter.PNG

german-soldiers.jpg

Exactly Nisa.Well said.

And you would be able to make this conclusions based solely on these pictures and the ones at the school event? In other words, without knowing the people in the photos or their motivation for being in the outfits or actually seeing their performances or hearing their words?

This isn't a court of law where a tiny shred of doubt makes the accused innocent. So many frustrated hack lawyers here, it's rather funny. It was a Nazi parade at a Catholic school. It wasn't a Mel Brooks broadway show. There she wrote.

Edited by Jingthing

Actually you need to see the posts above my Monty Python pic post in which people were making all sorts of speculation (determinations?) based on pictures of the event at the school. Point was if we just based the Monty Python pics on the pics alone, then it would seem they were promoting Nazism.

In the case of Monty Python, we are aware of the skits but in the school incident, none of us were there and there is no first hand account even telling us what the girls said, what the banner with the faces represented or really any context beyond the did this because it fit a red theme.

Ack. But tracking down the other post would cut into my 'Black Adder' watching time. As far as your reducing this to a mind-numbing 'red theme' selection decision goes ... they obviously should have gone with Pol Pot or Mao, doncha think (If the simply HAD to get political about their entry)? Admittedly, those would have been problematic.

I know! They should have gone with Alice and the Queen of Hearts! It would have only risked losing their heads with a fantasy tyrant and not any of this world.

Edited by MaxYakov

This isn't a court of law where a tiny shred of doubt makes the accused innocent. So many frustrated hack lawyers here, it's rather funny. It was a Nazi parade at a Catholic school. It wasn't a Mel Brooks broadway show. There she wrote.

So once again ... Has it been determined they were Nazis? One would need them for a Nazi parade. We may not be in a court of law but I am hoping we are still in reality.

No, but a bit more dancing and singing and it could have been a pretty good 'Springtime for Hitler'. They would have had to have a crazy Nazi playwright waiting in the wings to blame it all on in case the scheibe hit der fan.

So once again ... Has it been determined they were Nazis? One would need them for a Nazi parade. We may not be in a court of law but I am hoping we are still in reality.

Yep, still in reality. They were all hard-core, card-carrying Nazis. Case closed. Oh, forgot to mention - they were beamed down from the Enterprise where they were extracted from a parallel universe ... in an earlier episode. Yep, still in reality.

Storm in a teacup. Thai students think aping nazis is great - on-lookers think otherwise.

Hopefully the teachers and students will actually find out something about the nazis as a result of the furore.

Sorry, but couldn't resist this one. Perhaps the typo of the week.

Perhaps it should have been "...about the Nazis as a result of The Fuhrer"? Nein?

BTW F1fanatic just joking.:-)

50 pages!! :o

OK, perhaps we can all just agree that the students made a stupid mistake as a result of their bad education.

No we don't all agree to that , not at all. Some of us think people are too easily offended, essentially have no tolerance for extreme displays of free speech and are inculcated with a rotten value called PC

Are we now talking about two separate, recent incidences of Nazi theatrics in Thailand?

I noted a couple of attempts Kerry D and .. someone else to weave in an obvious bias, feminazi from some young woman dressed as Nazis in a different event?, I seriously doubt they were espousing Gloria Steineim. I doubt any Thai women are throwing off their roles as primary carers to everyone- anytime soon.

In fact I realize not one woman on the banner in the Sacred Heart event ( And it was quite good , big j art job )

Edited by TigerWan

Nazi parade, schmatzi parade ...

OMG, the dime store wannabe lawyers (or as I like to call them, the terminally literal) are relentless! If I said I attended a bunny party, would you assume I was socializing with rabbits? OBVIOUSLY, you don't need actual Nazis to have a Nazi parade. Also, I don't recall even ONE post here of anyone accusing the students of being ACTUAL Nazis, so this is yet again a totally arcane, manufactured non-issue just to make diversionary noise (like a lawyer!), similar to the Asian swastika fun and games, when not one person was unclear the students were displaying Nazi swastikas. But for the legal eagles here, how about a parade of students dressed in Nazi outfits? Objection counselor?

post-37101-0-65550800-1317490482_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing