My Motorbike Accident On Petchakasem Road

bankroll

Just thought I'd share my experience of a minor motorbike accident that I had recently.

I was unfortunate enough to come off on Monday on the main road, on the way to Khao Takiab...was in the slow lane and the tuk-tuk in front slammed on his brakes and I couldn't stop in time. You know when you have that moment of realisation that you're not going to be able to stop, it's quite scary. I was lying on the main road with the rear of the bike on top of me. I was not going that fast, and I can't remember now if I was too close or not.

The funny thing was nobody stopped to help, except an Irish guy I know who just happened to see it (from another passing tuk-tuk), so he u-turned and came back a few minutes later. The tuk-tuk driver that I hit just wanted to flee the scene and didn't seem interested in helping. The bike's not that heavy but I was struggling to get up.

After a few minutes by the side of the road, checking myself and the bike, I drove to the polyclinic, treated wounds and the final bill was 650 baht...I was actually close to the Bangkok hospital (on the other side of the road) but thought since it was a minor injury I'd rather avoid such a hefty bill.

Anyway it was annoying because it was a brand new CBR, a red one, that I'd picked up the day before....luckily there's very little damage to the bike. But I have to say I'm very happy that I was wearing a very good quality helmet and gloves. Makes you feel lucky to be alive. I'm back to my previous CBR now, red, white and blue. Perhaps red is an unlucky colour for me! lol

Just goes to show, that you never know what can happen. A friend of mine continues to drive around without a helmet even after he hears stories such as this!

If you've no accident insurance, open a Kasikorn bank account and get their 400thb ATM card, it comes with accident insurance that covers the first 5000 (or maybe 10,000thb), among a few other things.

If in a small accident like that it will cover full check up with x-rays, a clean up, medication, and follow up. You just have to show the ATM card a copy of your passport (keep a copy in your wallet). For 400thb for one year it's good value.

On a motorbike I have found it is safer not to be in the slow lane. So many idiots slam their brakes, or others pull out right in front of you. I drive at a good clip between the middle of the fast lane to the left of the fast lane, with constant glances in the rear view for any kamikazes coming from behind.

I think one of the most dangerous spots is the slow lane entrance turning into market village...

If you've no accident insurance, open a Kasikorn bank account and get their 400thb ATM card, it comes with accident insurance that covers the first 5000 (or maybe 10,000thb), among a few other things.

If in a small accident like that it will cover full check up with x-rays, a clean up, medication, and follow up. You just have to show the ATM card a copy of your passport (keep a copy in your wallet). For 400thb for one year it's good value.

That's great advice - other banks offer similar accident insurance with savings accounts. I have SCB. It's always worth having as some banks like TMB charge a little (400b/4 years) but offer no additional benefits.

On a motorbike I have found it is safer not to be in the slow lane. So many idiots slam their brakes, or others pull out right in front of you. I drive at a good clip between the middle of the fast lane to the left of the fast lane, with constant glances in the rear view for any kamikazes coming from behind.

I think one of the most dangerous spots is the slow lane entrance turning into market village...

True.

Though also worth mentioning that that territory is the favourite hunting ground of the u-turning tuk-tuk, that do so on a dime without checking their right rear (or any other direction)first.

Always be consciously careful around tuk-tuks, as they move in very unexpected ways. That would probably be my biggest piece of advice for people riding in cities here.

That and 'pray'. :D

Good idea. Actually my 15 months year accident insurance that I arranged in UK just expired 3 weeks ago and I had even put a post-it note on my desk as a reminder!! doh!!

glad you r ok :)

bikes compulsory insurance cover treatment like this if rider has motocy DL, limited to 50k baht/each of 2 persons

and avoid left lane, or stay far right left lane. to many jumping out, to many slamming brakes

No ABS on that bike as it's just the 150 model I was riding...I guess it wouldn't made a difference.

But you're right about the slow lane driving, definitely the most risky around here. Another terrible spot is near Soi 56 and top of soi 41 at the crossroads on the main road, as everybody is trying to cross from all angles. There must be dozens of accidents around there.

Personally, and no offense meant, I think you're all crazy to ride a bike in a place like this. I don't even feel comfortable with 4 wheels under me and a wall of steel around me and I've been driving in Hua Hin for eight years.

Be careful out there. :)

Personally, and no offense meant, I think you're all crazy to ride a bike in a place like this. I don't even feel comfortable with 4 wheels under me and a wall of steel around me and I've been driving in Hua Hin for eight years.

Be careful out there. :)

I love riding bikes. Every single day. Small scoots, 500cc scoot, 1800cc cruiser, and presently Ninja650R. The beauty of living in Hua Hin, I only need to use car once a week for major shopping. The rest is riding bikes :D

Did have a bike accident a year ago, last one 31 years ago, hoping for 31 years to the next one :jap:

The short answer is you were riding too close and had the BIB been involved you would no doubt have been found to be in the wrong. There must always be enough distance to stop in between you and the vehicle in front no matter what speed you are doing or what road conditions you are riding in.

As for riding in the fast lane. That sounds like someone who has been here way toooooo long to me.

The short answer is you were riding too close and had the BIB been involved you would no doubt have been found to be in the wrong. There must always be enough distance to stop in between you and the vehicle in front no matter what speed you are doing or what road conditions you are riding in.

As for riding in the fast lane. That sounds like someone who has been here way toooooo long to me.

Unless they are parked on a humpback bridge or round a blind bend is what happens in the UK but agreed he will be at fault for this.

In the city I tend to ride close to the line between the fast and slow lanes and my neck usually aches as it constantly swiveling between the road in front, the mirrors, the <deleted> in the Fortuner (usually a black one) you just know is going to pull out, cut in or stop without looking.

I ride a Yamaha 535 Virago and it is a bit wide to nip through some gaps and sometimes end up looking at the exhaust of a bus I am stuck behind.

Fortunately it doesn't happen that often as I live out in the countryside which presents different hazards.

Touch wood I have been lucky in the city and not had an accident yet.

I was out in my SUV yesterday during the rain and saw two motorbikers on the ground after confrontations with cars or trucks within 10 minutes. Again, you all are crazy to ride bikes here and I hope you have your health insurance paid up, because you will need it eventually.