Red-Shirt Terrorism Suspect To Chair House Committee On Security

webfact

Red terrorism suspect to chair House committee on security

The Nation

The House of Representatives on Thursday released the list of chairmen for 35 legislative committees, seeing Pheu Thai MP Karun Hosakul to chair the House Committee on security affairs.

Karun is also a red-shirt leader facing myriad charges, including terrorrism in coonection with the last year's violence.

In the list, the Pheu Thai Party will fill 19 chairs, followed by the Democrats (11 chairs) and Bhum Jai (two chairs).

Three junior coalition parties, Chart Thai Pattana, Chart Pattana and Palang Chon, will each fill a committee chair.

Rak Santi Party leader and sole MP Purachai Piumsombun will lead the House committee on children, youths, women and the elderly.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-09-29

Am I alone in thinking we are heading full throttle down Zimbabwe highway?

No. I hate to say it, but if the "government" - I use that term loosely - keep this sort of crap up, another coup is just a matter of time.

Yes, without any doubt.

They just don't seem to understand moderation...

let alone reconciliation.

Truly saddening to watch this.

And no, you couldn't make this up, even Hollywierd would reject the script as not believable.

Edited by animatic

No. I hate to say it, but if the "government" - I use that term loosely - keep this sort of crap up, another coup is just a matter of time.

Yes, without any doubt.

They just don't seem to understand moderation...

let alone reconciliation.

Truly saddening to watch this.

And no, you couldn't make this up, even Hollywierd would reject the script as not believable.

We should start a sweep stake. Just before New Year is my guess.

A violent history

>> Karun Hosakul, 41, allegedly beat his former wife, Ratchadawan. In April 2005, she divorced him.

>> Two months after the divorce, Karun attacked her at Don Mueang Airport as she returned from a trip abroad. Karun grabbed her hair, slapped her and threatened to disfigure her. She was rescued by airport guards.

>> In 2006, Karun assaulted a guard at an abandoned cinema, when he and his friends were refused entry. He kicked the guard twice in the head, reportedly shouting: "I will be back. Don't you know who I am?"

>> In 2007, as a Bangkok City Councillor, Karun head-butted an undercover policeman at a cock fight.

>> In 2005, Karun was stopped from contesting a Bangkok seat because he lacked the educational

qualifications required.

Vile scum.

Mug-R.B !!!!!!!!!!! mug, rogue , bully...agree this lot in power the word FARCE. would be appropriate.--the set up is that bad it is now comical.

I don't think even Jacques Tati or Monty Phyton could have thought this out. Absolutely mind boggling unbelievable.

A violent history

>> Karun Hosakul, 41, allegedly beat his former wife, Ratchadawan. In April 2005, she divorced him.

>> Two months after the divorce, Karun attacked her at Don Mueang Airport as she returned from a trip abroad. Karun grabbed her hair, slapped her and threatened to disfigure her. She was rescued by airport guards.

>> In 2006, Karun assaulted a guard at an abandoned cinema, when he and his friends were refused entry. He kicked the guard twice in the head, reportedly shouting: "I will be back. Don't you know who I am?"

>> In 2007, as a Bangkok City Councillor, Karun head-butted an undercover policeman at a cock fight.

>> In 2005, Karun was stopped from contesting a Bangkok seat because he lacked the educational

qualifications required.

Vile scum.

We must remember Yingluck's promise of only appointing qualified people to government positions... she didn't specify qualified for what though. :whistling:

A violent history

Karun Hosakul, 41, allegedly beat his former wife, Ratchadawan. In April 2005, she divorced him. >> Two months after the divorce, Karun attacked her at Don Mueang Airport as she returned from a trip abroad. Karun grabbed her hair, slapped her and threatened to disfigure her. She was rescued by airport guards. >> In 2006, Karun assaulted a guard at an abandoned cinema, when he and his friends were refused entry. He kicked the guard twice in the head, reportedly shouting: "I will be back. Don't you know who I am?" >> In 2007, as a Bangkok City Councillor, Karun head-butted an undercover policeman at a cock fight.>> In 2005, Karun was stopped from contesting a Bangkok seat because he lacked the educational qualifications required.

Edited by lannarebirth

In 2005, Karun was stopped from contesting a Bangkok seat because he lacked the educational qualifications required.

What are the 'educational qualifications'?

Anyone know? Seriously, I'm interested.

In 2005, you needed a degree to be an MP. That was changed by the junta government (I think) so that you only needed a degree to be in the cabinet.

>> In 2005, Karun was stopped from contesting a Bangkok seat because he lacked the educational qualifications required.

Under the 1997 constitution you had to have a Bachelor degree to be a MP.

The new constitution removed this - allowing even poor farmers to be MPs.

So of course PT and Red Shirts want to roll back the 1997 constitution.

A violent history

qualifications required.

Vile scum.

But he looks so innocent in his Parliamentary photo

14.jpg

>> In 2005, Karun was stopped from contesting a Bangkok seat because he lacked the educational qualifications required.

The Nation / Published on Feb 20, 2005

ELECTION RE-RUN

Meanwhile the Election Commission will file a complaint against former Thai Rak Thai candidate Karun Hosakul, accusing him of lying about his education credentials and for persuading voters to make invalid votes, chairman Vasana Puemlarp said yesterday.

Vasana said the EC has “damning” evidence that showed Karun campaigned to persuade voters to mark number 9 on the ballot paper, which was his number, causing 20,000 votes to become invalid after the EC had disqualified him over his education credentials.

Reporting false statements carries a penalty of up to 10 years in jail and a Bt200,000 fine, as well as having election rights revoked for 10 years. The penalty for causing an invalid vote is up to one year in jail and a Bt20,000 fine and election rights revoked for five years.

==========================================================

The Nation / Published on Feb 10, 2005

Court deals another blow to Karun

The Appeals Court yesterday upheld a Criminal Court verdict finding Thai Rak Thai’s disqualified candidate Karun Hosakul guilty of smuggling sewing machines and parts worth 7.15 Million Baht into the country from China, and ordered him to pay a fine of 30.2 Million Baht.

Karun, who failed to show up to hear the verdict on Tuesday, reported to the Appeals Court after the Appeals Court had issued a warrant for his arrest and an order for police to bring him to court next month.

Karun was earlier disqualified as a candidate in Bangkok’s Constituency 14 after the Supreme Court ruled that he had not qualified for university education.

The Appeals Court read the verdict based on testimony from a customs official that she had witnessed Karun removing 91 parcels from a warehouse at Don Muang International Airport on April 7 and 8, 1991 without paying proper import taxes.

The smuggled goods were allegedly disguised as cargo originating from Thailand and heading to Warsaw.

The customs official said she checked the flights on April 7 and 8 and found that there were no flights to Warsaw on either day, indicating that Karun had intended to remove the cargo from the warehouse and bring it into the Kingdom.

A public prosecutor filed the criminal lawsuit in February, 2000.

The Appeals Court ordered the goods seized by the state and ordered Karun to pay a fine of 30.2 Million Baht or be jailed for two years if he is unable to pay the fine.

After the verdict was read, Karun was briefly detained in a cell at the court.

He was later released after relatives posted assets worth 4.8 Million Baht as bail pending a review of the case by the Supreme Court.

The Nation / Published on Feb 9, 2005

Probe launched into invalid ballots

Election Commission (EC) Chairman Vasana Puemlarp yesterday ordered an investigation into the large number of invalid ballots cast in Bangkok’s Don Muang district in Sunday’s election.

As many as one-fourth of the 20,000 ballots cast in the district were invalid.

Earlier, Thai Rak Thai candidate for Don Muang Karun Hosakul was disqualified by the EC after Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University revoked his degree.

The commission chairman said he wanted to know who the culprits were behind the invalid ballots, adding it was an illegal act and a threat to democracy.

During vote counting in Don Muang, Karun’s supporters cheered when election officials announced the ballots were invalid.

After Vasana ordered the investigation, telephone calls flooded the EC’s 1171 hotline.

Callers who misunderstood the order feared that action would be taken against those who voted for Karun.

The Nation / Published on Feb 5, 2005

Criminal charges may be in store for Karun

Former election candidate Karun Hosakul may face criminal charges in the wake of a Supreme Court verdict on Thursday removing him as a candidate for Bangkok Constituency 14 on grounds of insufficient educational qualifications.

Ramkhamhaeng University has initiated proceedings to cancel his master’s degree, Faculty dean Wuthisak Lapsapcharoen said yesterday, adding that Karun’s graduate studies had been invalidated when Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University (STOU) revoked his bachelor’s degree on January 29.

Karun was accused of buying his vocational certificate, which he used for enrollment to the university.

The High Court endorsed the cancellation of his first degree after finding no reason to overturn STOU’s decision. The ruling led to the mandatory disqualification of Karun from running as an election candidate.

Education Ministry permanent secretary Khunying Kasama Varavarn said she had called for an investigation into how Karun had obtained his vocational certificate.

“If Dhurakit Bundit Technical College unlawfully issued the degree certificate to Karun, then the administrators will face charges as well as having their licence revoked,” she said.

STOU president Pratya Wesarat said Karun could face criminal proceedings for using bogus records in his enrolment.

“Personally I do not want to prosecute Karun, but I may not have a choice, because I might be charged with neglect if I failed to carry out my duty,” he said. STOU may be obliged to charge Karun with dishonesty about his vocational studies, he said.

Karun’s removal by the Supreme Court has left the ruling party without a candidate in Constituency 14.

The Nation / Published on Feb 3, 2005

Karun bought his college certificate

Thai Rak Thai candidate now looks certain to be dumped

Karun Hosakul yesterday faced damning new evidence that he bought his higher vocational-college certificate and looks likely to be removed as the Thai Rak Thai Party’s MP candidate for Bangkok Constituency 14 in Sunday’s general election.

Karun is fighting an EC inquiry into his education credentials after Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University revoked his bachelor’s degree on January 29 for using what it said was flawed qualifications for enrolment. He has insisted that he could have his degree reinstated after clearing up the misunderstanding.

But evidence that he bought his vocational-college certificate has further undermined his chances of staying in the race.

“Karun received a genuine certificate for his vocational studies, but he never graduated and his school sold him the document,” said Senator Somkiat Onwimon, who is also a council member at Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University.

Karun attended a higher vocational college in Bangkok for two years and transferred his course credits to Dhurakit Bundit Technical College in Nakhon Si Thammarat, which is known for selling vocational certificates, he said.

Under electoral rules, Karun needs to have at least a tertiary education to qualify for a House seat.

===========================================================

The Nation / Published on Feb 1, 2005

Karun defends qualifications, but Thaksin snubs his rally

TRT MP candidate Karun Hosakul yesterday reiterated in tears that he had completed a higher vocational college course, denying allegations a fake certificate had allowed him to study at Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University.

Karun was speaking before more than 1,000 people gathered at Bunanant market in Don Muang district.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and TRT Deputy Leader Sudarat Keyuraphan did not appear at the market, despite the fact that they had been scheduled to lend their support in the wake of reports that the open university had revoked Karun’s bachelor’s degree.

Karun sobbed as he spoke and said he had visited the university earlier that day only to learn the university council had a secret meeting on Saturday and revoked his degree.

“What they did is like sentencing me to death without giving me the chance to appeal. Whoever did this was in the Education Ministry. It is a political game. It happened once and I explained myself in a letter and the matter was closed. But this time they played hard, revoking my degree,’’ he said.

Edited by Buchholz

The fake certificate incident seems to be a politically motivated red herring here. STOU issued a Bachelors degree which suggests he did the work required to earn one.

What should not be ignored is large number of other incidents including violence against others and corruption which, to my mind, mean he is unfit to act as chairman of a security commitee.

As TAWP put it most eloquently - violent scum.

Edited by Orac