Dirty Dancing Leaves Everyone In A Spin

george

Wrong! The Thai rice farmers, taxi drivers and most of the great unwashed I have spoken to, absolutely love it and would kill for tickets to see one of her shows.

I am sure some blue haired, horn rimmed pooyai in an office somewhere has been rushed to hospital after seeing that.

That said, for shock value, pretty good going. Great advertising for the international education hub among teenage boys too.

Son :Dad, Can I go to school in Thailand?

Dad :Only if I get to go with you.

You find that that a poor rural rice farmers wife would be far more offended by this than any “ blue blue haired, horn rimmed pooyai”.

Why are so many trying to make this into a class thing rather then the cultural and changing morals issue that is actually is.

TH

Because it is always the "ministry of culture" that gets its nickers in a twist about this, and usually does sweet FA about it. The rice farmers have little or no way to change anything, so I don't blame them if it occurs and people are offended. It is the powerful and priviledged who have the power to change things here, and they simply spout their indignation, and do precisely NOTHING.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure some blue haired, horn rimmed pooyai in an office somewhere has been rushed to hospital after seeing that.

That said, for shock value, pretty good going. Great advertising for the international education hub among teenage boys too.

You find that that a poor rural rice farmers wife would be far more offended by this than any “ blue blue haired, horn rimmed pooyai”.

Why are so many trying to make this into a class thing rather then the cultural and changing morals issue that is actually is.

TH

Because it is always the "ministry of culture" that gets its nickers in a twist about this, and usually does sweet FA about it. The rice farmers have little or no way to change anything, so I don't blame them if it occurs and people are offended. It is the powerful and priviledged who have the power to change things here, and they simply spout their indignation, and do precisely NOTHING.

So because the newspapers quote a government official or celebrity talk show host who happens to an upper class Thai and not the poor rice farmers wife that makes this a class issue?

Your logic is poor and it just sounds like you are indulging a bit projection bias with your blaming the Thai upper class for this.

TH

"That was what Ja tried to say during the interview, albeit in a stammering, emotionally-stricken manner. After Woody said, 'What got to me was the question why our country has this kind of woman'...

In defending himself, Woody suggested that people should not judge him based on that one broadcast interview, where many things had to be taken into account. "If you ask me what I think of her personally, I like her a lot. But you have to understand that, on TV, you've got to keep your style in asking interview questions," he said."

I am not judging Woody on only one of his broadcast interviews. Judging from all the ones I have seen he seems to be highly pretentious, conceited schmuk. I would rather ask, "What need has the country of this useless, parasitical kind of man?".

Wrong! The Thai rice farmers, taxi drivers and most of the great unwashed I have spoken to, absolutely love it and would kill for tickets to see one of her shows.

TH

Correct, as far as I know, it is rarely the lower end of society that gets offended by this. But someone else insinuated that it may be. Although, they don't actually have a way of conveying whether they are or not.

So because the newspapers quote a government official or celebrity talk show host who happens to an upper class Thai and not the poor rice farmers wife that makes this a class issue?

Your logic is poor and it just sounds like you are indulging a bit projection bias with your blaming the Thai upper class for this.

TH

YOu don't have to be upper class to be a pooyai. Normally, the undersized silk jacket and horn rimmed specs are standard issue if you want to be a female culture minister. It is exactly these type of people I am talking about who react with such indignation when the Thailand's petticoat slips in front of the world.

image_preview-3174.jpg

Thailand's Culture Minister Uraiwan Thienthong said that the ban was part of a government campaign against revealing clothes.

"We want to create a good image of the country," she said

302576.jpg

And the current culture minister. Give it a few years. I will wait with baited breath for the righteous indignation coming from a family member so well connected to of all places, that paragon of Thai culture. Pattaya. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

not a good singer ?

I think, shes a fake,

not only her, also the band can`t play, or they pretend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c5QAXVdM7w

but what is their goal ?

To discredit the country culture of sexy thai singers.

Have a look on the originals,

they are doing their show in front the ordinary people,

the people enjoy, the kids are copying the dance, everybody have fun

But for people in Bkk, this is over the top,

we know this conflict from Taiwan;

In the early 1980s, when the practice came to public attention, it was pretty popular everywhere but in Taipei, Taiwan's capital in the north. Since laws were passed against it, it's rarer to find it in larger urban centers throughout Taiwan, though one can find the practice in the outskirts of most urban centers and in smaller cities and towns. It definitely has the association of being a working class form of entertainment. And you are absolutely right that it often becomes part of a discourse of the north and south in which the north is associated with more affluence, education, and participation with global culture, and the south is more associated with the working class, lack of education, and more local traditions.

http://io9.com/5819625/in-taiwan-you-can-hire-a-stripper-for-your-funeral

so I think, the concept of Ja Turbo is, to be over the top and to discredit the Isaan culture of entertainment,

effect a review of the existing performing on stage,

and bringing a new moral order to the countryside.

I agree with your assessment! My sentiments exactly.

That's one annoying, talentless girl and a lame performance. I can't believe anybody has bothered giving her attention. AND the orgasm moans to Thai country music, the worst noise on earth, were so low class.

Of course she has to rub her squeeze box in a skimpy bikini on stage cuz she sure can't sing, she can't dance and she ain't cute.

likewise, no talent what so ever , and no melody , ......... singing is not a strong point of thais,...........i haven't heard a good one yet , one or 2 ok rock bands but again the singing not so good.

This is not the western world, and as opposed to in the west, the teenage audience is rather ignorant with regards to the consequences of testosterone, alcohol and boys who couldn't care less if the girl gets pregnant. It's not his responsibility anyway, and there's always another 15 year old around the corner who is willing to spread her legs after a couple of Spy. A lot of the sex going on in the Thai community would be considered rape in most western countries. Here, as long as the girl is drunk and/or the boy is stronger, it's considered normal.

No one factor is responsible for the enormous number of teenage pregnancies in this country and the fact that millions of children grow up without a father, but those concerts (which is part of a trend that has been going on for years here) sure don't help. As usual, the combination of factors make the poor remain poor, since the teenage mother has no choice but dumping the child with the nearest relative while she gets a job as a maid/bar hostess/karaoke girl or similar, which will sooner or later lead to another pregnancy. And in 15 years, two new candidates for the "entertainment business" arrive in Pattaya.

You've never been to my highschool back in the US.

It was exactly the same, lame dance that you see in 100's of Thai places..............now, if a Thai singer could come up with some new moves that made headlines, they would make a killing. This was just pole dancing (sans pole) and poor singing.

I disagree...dancing has become much better in the 15 years i've been in LOS..:whistling:

More grinding, less bouncing.

I don't think this is any 'worse' than can be seen elsewhere in other countries (though probably over a decade earlier) and with satellite TV and the internet, I suppose one should be more surprised that this has taken so long to surface in Thailand. This reminds me of the high moral ground stood on by the likes of Mary Whitehouse in the UK many years ago, and the indignation displayed by 'the blue-rinse hairdo and horn-rimmed glasses' brigade at that time. ... People who were appalled at what they perceived as falling moral standards, whilst totally ignoring that the 'Prude Victorian standards' they wished to up hold, thinly concealed levels of depravity, corruption and the fact that women were continually being 'brainwashed' into thinking they were inferior to men. I'm not saying that women in Thailand are underdogs in a male-dominated society, just that the opinions/views of women are being heard more than maybe in the past.

It appear that few if any of the poster understand the Thai word-swap used in the song, however the result is pretty obvious watching the video.

"Cun Hoo" - means itch ear..... obvious, but when sung, the crowd sing in unison and add "Nee"... "Kun Hoo Nee"

In the Thai language, the "H" and the "N" are swapped....... this is purely in the crowd, not unlike what western crowds do for some old songs I recall.

When sung this way, it means exactly watch you see in the video, another part of the anatomy, namly what is scratched is itchy. But, purely listening to the song without a video the song is not the least in conflict with the normal attacks from the Ministry of Culture.....

not a good singer ?

I think, shes a fake,

not only her, also the band can`t play, or they pretend

but what is their goal ?

To discredit the country culture of sexy thai singers.

Have a look on the originals,

they are doing their show in front the ordinary people,

the people enjoy, the kids are copying the dance, everybody have fun

But for people in Bkk, this is over the top,

we know this conflict from Taiwan;

In the early 1980s, when the practice came to public attention, it was pretty popular everywhere but in Taipei, Taiwan's capital in the north. Since laws were passed against it, it's rarer to find it in larger urban centers throughout Taiwan, though one can find the practice in the outskirts of most urban centers and in smaller cities and towns. It definitely has the association of being a working class form of entertainment. And you are absolutely right that it often becomes part of a discourse of the north and south in which the north is associated with more affluence, education, and participation with global culture, and the south is more associated with the working class, lack of education, and more local traditions.

so I think, the concept of Ja Turbo is, to be over the top and to discredit the Isaan culture of entertainment,

effect a review of the existing performing on stage,

and bringing a new moral order to the countryside.

"I think, shes a fake",

I think you are right! If you look closely you can see her lips move.whistling.gif

Edited by FOODLOVER

"Culture" in Thailand is just another word for the the oppression of feminine sexuality and equality. These media pundits are just singing the government's line on maintaining such a thing. Glad to see the people see it for what it is. A job. And one she is driven to do to make ends meet. There are many worse jobs, and for some the choice doesn't exist.

No one gets what you're saying dude! You're saying it's a conspiracy by people paying them to 'discredit Isaan culture'? Haha

nobody paid the songkran girls, this was real,

but who is paying for Ja Turbos act ?

you know isaan wedding party vdos with her ?

her action is more part of the Bkk vdo party scene

http://www.fwdder.com/topic/223630

a bit of history about Nongpanee Mahadthai

SOURCE: http://bk.asia-city....panee-mahadthai

I have been singing for nine years. My parents both did likay and I dreamed of being like them since I was young. But when I grew up, I realized that I wanted to be a singer, after I was in a singing competition at school.

My mom really supports me being a singer.

I moved from Angthong to Supanburi to study at Rajamangala University of Technology Suvarnabhumi Suphanburi Campus. I am a second-year student of management.

Sounds like the typical nonsense you read on sites like Tagged, next to countless.. ahem... interesting pics of themselves.

Give the lass a break. At least she's attempting to pay her way through college and be less of a burden on her folks, and for that she deserves credit, regardless of yours and others opinions of her motives, looks, performance etc.

No one gets what you're saying dude! You're saying it's a conspiracy by people paying them to 'discredit Isaan culture'? Haha

I say, she was a fabricated star of a company, producing sexy thai cojote CDs,

without real audience, only for the video production,

s.o. uploaded her vdos on youtube,

others linked her youtube vdos on many forums,

that 2 million hit her songs.

Woody was thinking about a new star with provocative habit,

and invited her in his show,

that was the moment, when she really came into public attention.

After this, she was used, to discredit the isaan culture, with their sexy star show,

cause her habit was never part of the isaan shows.

Let me get this straight, she is singing about an itchy va jay jay? blink.gif Was the concert sponsored by Vagisil?

The lyrics to the song aren't about an infection, but about a young girl feeling horny with an itch that need scratching.

"Culture" in Thailand is just another word for the the oppression of feminine sexuality and equality. .......

Oppression of feminine sexuality ???????

I found Thailand to be the most sexually liberated country for women ever.

Not so much oppression of female sexuality as it is oppression of cognition.

concerning Onsiri Pravattiyagul article on bkkpost, from the 13/07/2011

"Cultural evolution and the itch to suppress"

(googel it, cause bkkpost links are not welcome on TV)

yes, it is a a hybrid luk thung/mor lam troupe, but it was never popular upcountry.