Why Are So Many Drivers Clueless When It Comes To Merging

oakweb

24 members have voted

1. 1. 70% of Pattaya Drivers don't know how to Merge

This poll is closed to new votes

I usually don't gripe about things, but the U-turns on Sukhumvit drive me crazy. I'm always finding myself 4 or 5 cars back waiting for some driver to get the

all clear from the other direction on all 4 lanes! Then when they get it, most of the time they are going straight.

I won't say it's all Thai drivers as I have seen Farangs do it too.

Why are so many clueless on how to merge into traffic using the merging lane?

Wait for closest lane to be clear, turn into the lane, speed up, look mirror, merge.

I'd say 99% of Thais don't know how to merge, or any other basic traffic rules.

Whenever a Thai comes to an intersection, they slow down and check with other

drivers who get to go first. There is no default right of way law in Thailand, and if

there is nobody is aware of it.

And as we all already know, a RED light, is only a suggestion that one MIGHT want

to stop ....

BUT, plenty of young cheap girls ... and if we are honest, that why most of us are

here. Beaches, traffic and double pricing don't make this a "good" place to stay ...

TIT,

rudi

Unfortunately, many drivers don't approach driving and traffic rationally or logically. They don't think like air traffic control officers or logisticians. Most people are thinking about their task or where they are headed to and are barely paying attention to actually driving the car, glancing out the mirrors, keeping aware of the traffic situation, maintaining distance and separation, anticipating etc. And as one poster said, maybe it is the Thailand mentality, lack of going first, lack of a moderate level of aggression. I chuckle when I say that because just try not paying a few baht on a disputed bill for something. Then they get very pro-active!

Driving is easy, at least it is easy to propel the car, stop it, and with a little effort steer it. It is so taken for granted while in control of a 4000 pound potential death machine with a lot of kinetic energy.

Grew up in New England with rotaries or round a bouts as they say down south. Kind of got used to some sensible merging. Throw em all together and let god decide! As an engineer, I swear sometimes I think of them as cyclotrons. Got to go around until one gets enough energy to break out!

The worst drivers by far are foreigners; and tourists are even worse but they have an excuse since they are driving in an unfamiliar environment. U-turns are complicated by other cars and/or motorbikes trying to sneak to the front of the que. Not only must you merge safely with on-coming traffic but you must avoid these inconsiderate cheaters.