After 9Pm Drink Surcharge In Hua Hin?

outofoz

2 Years to finally change the menus showing the VAT charge, Not bad at all.

I would have thought that 2 years is pretty fast for Thailand :D

What about the board outside advertising meals?

Does that mention that VAT will be added to the published prices?

Probably not but that would be too much to expect wouldn't it - to actually show the price that you will pay which really is where this topic started <_<

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 Years to finally change the menus showing the VAT charge, Not bad at all.

I would have thought that 2 years is pretty fast for Thailand :D

What about the board outside advertising meals?

Does that mention that VAT will be added to the published prices?

Probably not but that would be too much to expect wouldn't it - to actually show the price that you will pay which really is where this topic started <_<

I suppose we will have to wait for Thaicbr next visit to find out about the board outside, that will be another thread in itself :lol:

the prices are just too bl*ody expensive, plain and simple

Then all you whiners don't go there, end of! Nobody's forcing you to go. I'm sure the place will do just fine (as it has for years) without you!

What a bunch of losers complaining over a few lousy baht or VAT in one of the few places in town that has a good atmosphere, A/C, good and varied food, and decent live music. Just go somewhere else and quit moaning. :annoyed:

Then all you whiners don't go there, end of! Nobody's forcing you to go. I'm sure the place will do just fine (as it has for years) without you!

What a bunch of losers complaining over a few lousy baht or VAT in one of the few places in town that has a good atmosphere, A/C, good and varied food, and decent live music. Just go somewhere else and quit moaning. :annoyed:

Well if you actually took the time to look through the thread you will see that most of the posters are not whining about the prices or the VAT, the thread is mainly about if the VAT price was displayed or not and the extra costs of the drinks after a certain time in the evening and there being nothing on the menu about this.

I agree it's a great place and I used to visit on a daily basis up until about 2 years ago.

Well if you actually took the time to look through the thread you will see that most of the posters are not whining about the prices or the VAT, the thread is mainly about if the VAT price was displayed or not and the extra costs of the drinks after a certain time in the evening and there being nothing on the menu about this.

I agree it's a great place and I used to visit on a daily basis up until about 2 years ago.

I agree with you 'darrendsd', I also used to go regularly untill I realised the extra pricing.

As for thaicbr, he reminds me of my ex mother in law, she who is never wrong.

Surprised with hhfarang comments though, as stated the majority on this post agree with the hidden pricing (VAT and after 9pm charge) not being shown untill you get the bill, also as stated recently the boards that advertise food outside the front door do not show VAT. :o hhfarang is usually contructive with his posts, if everyone replied as he has we would not get any info:

hhfarang stated; Then all you whiners don't go there, end of! Nobody's forcing you to go. I'm sure the place will do just fine (as it has for years) without you!

Read the post, many do'nt go there for the reason of hidden pricing, do read the posts.

hhfarang stated; What a bunch of losers complaining over a few lousy baht or VAT in one of the few places in town that has a good atmosphere, A/C, good and varied food, and decent live music. Just go somewhere else and quit moaning. :annoyed:

Its not a few lousy baht, 7% + after 9pm charge, accounts for almost 40 baht on a small bottle of beer, get your facts right before bleeting. Atmosphere, its empty most of the day and is only busy on sports nights. The aircon is rarely on, only when their is a crowd which is about 2 nights a week. Get your facts right matey.:(

Edited by BazilFox

I agree with you 'darrendsd', I also used to go regularly untill I realised the extra pricing.

Surprised with hhfarang comments though, as stated the majority on this post agree with the hidden pricing (VAT and after 9pm charge) not being shown untill you get the bill, also as stated recently the boards that advertise food outside the front door do not show VAT. :o hhfarang is usually contructive with his posts, if everyone replied as he has we would not get any info:

hhfarang stated; Then all you whiners don't go there, end of! Nobody's forcing you to go. I'm sure the place will do just fine (as it has for years) without you!

I say: Read the post, many do'nt go there for the reason of hidden pricing, do read the posts.

hhfarang stated; What a bunch of losers complaining over a few lousy baht or VAT in one of the few places in town that has a good atmosphere, A/C, good and varied food, and decent live music. Just go somewhere else and quit moaning. :annoyed:

I say: Its not a few lousy baht, 7% + after 9pm charge, accounts for almost 40 baht on a small bottle of beer, get your facts right before bleeting. Atmosphere, its empty most of the day and is only busy on sports nights. The aircon is rarely on, only when their is a crowd which is about 2 nights a week. Get your facts right matey.:(

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Well maybe your ex mother in law could read unlike yourself. I think some of you have an agenda against El Murphys. The original complaints have been addressed. They now have drinks menus that state VAT excluded. These menus show that there is NO after 9pm charge. but in fact a BEFORE 9pm DISCOUNT. When you pay you get a receipt so easy enough to check. If you think it's to expensive GO somewhere else. easy really. Any way for those that live in Hua hin enjoy. For all the rest if you want aircon, a great live band, a good range of drinks. Well as proven on this thread there are not a lot of options. Check out El Murphy's if you like it. great. If you don't well that's ok too. just have fun in the sun.

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Well maybe your ex mother in law could read unlike yourself. I think some of you have an agenda against El Murphys. The original complaints have been addressed. They now have drinks menus that state VAT excluded. These menus show that there is NO after 9pm charge. but in fact a BEFORE 9pm DISCOUNT. When you pay you get a receipt so easy enough to check. If you think it's to expensive GO somewhere else. easy really. Any way for those that live in Hua hin enjoy. For all the rest if you want aircon, a great live band, a good range of drinks. Well as proven on this thread there are not a lot of options. Check out El Murphy's if you like it. great. If you don't well that's ok too. just have fun in the sun.

"Sigh" It's pointless carrying on this argument really but I would just like to say that I have NO personal agenda against EL Murphys and was just responding to the OP'S question on why he was charged more on his last visit.

Although I stopped going in there around 2 years ago I frequently see one of the owners around town and always stop for a chat with him as I find him an alright guy.

I've just enjoyed a shepards pie(130b) and a pint of kilkenny(150b)my friends just had a fry up brekkie and a pint of leo for 190b.sorry don't forget the vat,,where else in thailand can we get this value,i love to know.There is signs for promotsions on the walls everywhere,the menus are old,which tell me prices havn't been changed in a long time.

What do you want,everything free or should we start a protest against tipping bar staff.

I rarely drink anywhere that charges over 80bht for a large Chang, normally 50-60bht a large bottle.

That is the general pricing all over Thailand (80bht tourist joints, 50bht Thai joints)

I guess there are many foreigners who want to drink overpriced beer in the perceived safety of tourist bars, but it isn't 'value for money' by any stretch of the imagination.

I say: Its not a few lousy baht, 7% + after 9pm charge, accounts for almost 40 baht on a small bottle of beer, get your facts right before bleeting.

facts right there? :rolleyes:

40 baht on a small beer, wow, how much was it in the fisrst place. B)

This is getting confusing. Is that before or after the surcharge is applied or during the happy hour either with or without vague additions :blink: and more importantly do you get free peanuts ?

So many bars, so many beers and so many price options :P Ones that I like within a stones throw include "buy 2 get 1 free all night" and "all small beers 55 baht before 9pm" :partytime2: Ahhh but no air-con or live music so they cannot be fun can they?

you sound like a shill with an agenda....this place is a scam and it is the public's right to share this information

you sound like a shill with an agenda....this place is a scam and it is the public's right to share this information

I'm no shill and my only agenda is to put an end to this senseless thread. The information has been shared and argued ad nauseam for three pages of posts. I think all the op's questions have been answered. It has simply been turned into an argument now about who is right and who is wrong. As far as I can tell, only one person has bothered to actually go there and find out the answers but people on the other side of the argument simply to choose not to believe him and go on arguing. Vote with your feet or walk in there and see what the current policy is and go down the block if you don't like it. If you don't like the way that place or any place is run, or their charging schemes, don't go there. It's as simple as that. No need to waste any more keystrokes on it. ;)

I'm no shill and my only agenda is to put an end to this senseless thread. The information has been shared and argued ad nauseam for three pages of posts. I think all the op's questions have been answered. It has simply been turned into an argument now about who is right and who is wrong. As far as I can tell, only one person has bothered to actually go there and find out the answers but people on the other side of the argument simply to choose not to believe him and go on arguing. Vote with your feet or walk in there and see what the current policy is and go down the block if you don't like it. If you don't like the way that place or any place is run, or their charging schemes, don't go there. It's as simple as that. No need to waste any more keystrokes on it. ;)

Where's the yawn smiley when you need one?

Well here is the board outside the bar a few days back....

Happy hour runs from 7am to 7pm on draught beer - no mention of bottled beer or other drinks.

Still fails to mention VAT or service so add 17% to the prices shown

The prices are pretty average to start with but after an extra 17% I would not consider them to be Happy Hour prices (except for the owners profit margins).

There was another board advertising food and that made no mention of the ++ pricing policy which is one of the main complaints throughout this thread. Not to mention that the prices are ++ is just plain wrong <_<

Couldn't bring myself to go in and check anything else because it really isn't that important to me. I've alreday made my choice to avoid going in the place.

post-28059-0-59649100-1321759808_thumb.j

Edit : attachment attached

Edited by SamSipEt

Happy hour runs from 7am to 7pm on draught beer - no mention of bottled beer or other drinks.

The prices are pretty average to start with but after an extra 17% I would not consider them to be Happy Hour prices (except for the owners profit margins).

There was another board advertising food and that made no mention of the ++ pricing policy which is one of the main complaints throughout this thread. Not to mention that the prices are ++ is just plain wrong

well you used 770 keystrokes versus my 116 so you clearly have an agenda or vested interest here

well you used 770 keystrokes versus my 116 so you clearly have an agenda or vested interest here

:lol: While you were counting all those keystrokes you could have gone down there and asked the owner to explain the pricing policies ending this discussion. No agenda or vested interest; in fact living here eight years I've only been in the place three times (always for lunch) and the last one was a couple of years ago.

There was another board advertising food and that made no mention of the ++ pricing policy which is one of the main complaints throughout this thread. Not to mention that the prices are ++ is just plain wrong <_<

Couldn't bring myself to go in and check anything else because it really isn't that important to me. I've alreday made my choice to avoid going in the place.

post-28059-0-59649100-1321759808_thumb.j

Edit : attachment attached

The photo copy drinks menu that has taken 3 years to produce is now being handed out, price does not list extras.

The board outside the front door states 7pm to 7pm "Happy Hour", this we all knew, "thaicbr" is stating 7am to 9pm, we all know that is a lie.

Happy Hour is for selected drinks only, not all drinks, "thaicbr" sated he purchased beer at 08:45 then again after 9pm, the price difference was 20baht, that is the after 9pm charge, 20 baht per drink. :angry:

Edited by BazilFox

post-62652-0-29551300-1321870740_thumb.jpost-62652-0-08886900-1321870712_thumb.jpost-62652-0-68978300-1321870669_thumb.j

Find attached pictures of the drinks menu from El Murphy. As you can see it is not just a photocopy as some one implied but a ring bound folder.

It clearly states that VAT is excluded. it also clearly shows the price of a Singha jug at 210b.

I also attached my receipt (as they are VAT regulated they have to give you one if you ask)

the receipt shows that i paid 190b for one jug and 210b for the other. the 1st jug was purchased at approx 8.45 the 2nd at approx 9.30.

So that is a DISCOUNT from the drinks menus. You may decide that is not so..up to you. but to me it clearly shows a discount off advertised prices.

As for the boards outside i have no idea. Ask the management, I did and was told that happy hour is now 7pm to 9pm. was it lies. I don't know BUT i got my discount so i do not care.

ALSO V.A.T in Thailand is only 7%.

"Value Added Tax ('VAT') is a tax on the sale of goods or the provision of services. The current rates are 7% and 0% with some exemptions from VAT."

source http://www.mazars.co...VAT-in-Thailand

Another case of people not getting their facts right on this thread.

Let's just have a big group hug and forget about it! lol....this thread is getting the prize for the longest running, but it is actually quite amusing...

Works for me but please please not in El Murphy's :lol:

Just look at those prices with small bottles of beer 100 baht a pop (plus VAT of course) ;)

post-62652-0-29551300-1321870740_thumb.jpost-62652-0-08886900-1321870712_thumb.jpost-62652-0-68978300-1321870669_thumb.j

Find attached pictures of the drinks menu from El Murphy. As you can see it is not just a photocopy as some one implied but a ring bound folder.

It clearly states that VAT is excluded. it also clearly shows the price of a Singha jug at 210b.

I also attached my receipt (as they are VAT regulated they have to give you one if you ask)

the receipt shows that i paid 190b for one jug and 210b for the other. the 1st jug was purchased at approx 8.45 the 2nd at approx 9.30.

So that is a DISCOUNT from the drinks menus. You may decide that is not so..up to you. but to me it clearly shows a discount off advertised prices.

As for the boards outside i have no idea. Ask the management, I did and was told that happy hour is now 7pm to 9pm. was it lies. I don't know BUT i got my discount so i do not care.

ALSO V.A.T in Thailand is only 7%.

"Value Added Tax ('VAT') is a tax on the sale of goods or the provision of services. The current rates are 7% and 0% with some exemptions from VAT."

source http://www.mazars.co...VAT-in-Thailand

Another case of people not getting their facts right on this thread.

If you read my last post I said the photo copy's that were being handed out (obviously at the front door), I can only assume this leather bound version is kept in the safe? :whistling:

20 baht diff, after 9pm charge, spend 210 baht and get 20 baht off during happy hour, lets all get down there, normally you get 30% off. :whistling:

Happy Hour is 7am to 7pm. :angry:

VAT is 7%, I agree and always have on this one. :jap:

Another case of people manipulating the facts. :lol:

Edited by BazilFox

• 2 weeks later...

Is the 10% service charge also billed at the end on the cheque bin?As I stated many moons ago on here..why..oh why couldn't the 'hidden charges' at the end just be factored into the original price?It aint rocket science(or is it?)and would alleviate any of this long running soap opera..and make the whole simple process of buying a beer transparent!

Edited by sydneyjed

Is the 10% service charge also billed at the end on the cheque bin?As I stated many moons ago on here..why..oh why couldn't the 'hidden charges' at the end just be factored into the original price?It aint rocket science(or is it?)and would alleviate any of this long running soap opera..and make the whole simple process of buying a beer transparent!

So what 10% service charge is this then?

You just have to look at the bill I posted to see that there is NO 10% service charge.

Your the same fella that thought Thai v.a.t was 17%.

So what 10% service charge is this then?

You just have to look at the bill I posted to see that there is NO 10% service charge.

Your the same fella that thought Thai v.a.t was 17%.

No pal..normally the 7% vat +10% service charge...Like I said if the 7% charge was just factored into the normal bill none of this crap would have eventuated

...Who else does it apart from the big name hotels?