After 9Pm Drink Surcharge In Hua Hin?

outofoz

:rolleyes: As pointed out the bar has an upto date till system so a Drinks Menu would be a walk in the park.

They post the sport TV times daily on a Chalk Board the main entrance almost daily outside and on the internal Notice Boards, so why no upto date Drinks Menu ??????????????

Lets have the price with VAT(7%) and the extra for when the band is playing, why the secret?

What is the extra when the band is playing, anyone know? :angry:

Jesus... is there something in the water in Hua hin that is inhibiting your ability to read and keep the information inside your brain?

THERE IS NO... I REPEAT NO EXTRA FOR WHEN THE BAND IS PLAYING.

The happy hour is from 7am to 7pm. Then the drinks go up to normal non-happy hour prices... and yes there should be a drinks menu mainly due to your inability to actually ask ' how much' like you would in the majority of pubs/bars in HH who also DO NOT have a drinks menu's.

Maybe in the future if you actually state to the owners that they should try and include the 7% V.A.T in the prices they MAYBE can adjust the system to do that. I do not know as i'm not an accountant.

Rather than bitch on here why not talk to the owners who i have found to be ok guys (busy but ok)

Have fun and next time i'm down in HH i will certainly go and have a few drinks and listen to the band play ( I think they are a great rock band, much better than the Philipino crap in Pattaya)

Also as i asked before can ANYONE tell me of another venue in HH that has a good band, decent food and aircon....... well?

I think we have had enough of your rantings, you seem to have a personal interest here, with mis-information.

THERE IS A CHARGE FOR THE BAND, LET THAT SINK IN TO YOUR HEAD. Also we are not talking about the "happy hour" let that sink into your HEAD, forget about the HAPPY HOUR, it is not of interest. We are talking about the 7% VAT and the extra for the band OK, has it registered in your head yet..

You say you dont live in Hua Hin, STICK TO WHAT YOU KNOW (which is not much), AS YOU ARE JUST TALKING JIBBERISH.

Does anyone know the secret figure that you pay when the band is playing, I think it is 20 baht per drink ?????????????????????

The owners (they are not the owners), not many foriegners own the bars they rent them, OK, they rent the bar.

A drinks menu should be available with the 7% stated and the extra for the band, should be stated, not secret. :angry:

Edited by BazilFox

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thaicbr, I'm not going to get involved in the argument that seems to be going on here but I can tell you that there IS a surcharge on the drinks when the band are playing.

The band that play there are very well paid, being recognised as the best live band in Hua Hin and the surcharge is to pay their wages.

Thaicbr, I'm not going to get involved in the argument that seems to be going on here but I can tell you that there IS a surcharge on the drinks when the band are playing.

The band that play there are very well paid, being recognised as the best live band in Hua Hin and the surcharge is to pay their wages.

Well ok.. it would seem that you guys know more than Eddie the Owner of the bar (the El Murpys bar is owned by him via a Thai company, the building is rented. big difference)

Darren. I actually spoke to him at length about this. He told me that there USED to be a charge for when the band was playing but they do NOT charge now (and haven't for some time)

He also admitted that there should be bar / drinks menu's. He has been waiting for a designer to do them.

I am relaying the info that he has told me. As i have said other than drinking in Eddies bars over the years i am not affiliated with him in any way.

And as i have asked is there any other pub in HH that has decent food, aircon and a good live band playing most nights....if so where?

PS: If there is actually a charge for when the band plays why hasn't any one posted a picture of the check bin. As it's been noted that you get one when you pay?????

When i was in there about 10 days ago the price i paid was the price that i got quoted before ordering + the 7% Thai tax (this was well after the happy hour and the band was playing)

Anyway if i have upset anybody with my comments i'm sorry, but as far as I'm concerned all this blathering has been about nothing. It is so easy to ask "how much" which you have to do in pretty much every other bar/pub in HH.

I can see the 7% thing though. I advised Eddie to have a prominent poster stating this put up over the till area. Very often when running a busy business the little things are forgotten.

To all enjoy your drinksburp.gif

Well I don't know about anyone else but personally I don't ask the price of a drink before I buy one, If after I get the bill I think I it's to high, I simply don't go back.

As for somebody posting a copy of the reciept I would imagine that they wouldn't let you take a copy anyway would they? They would need this for their own records.

I've got my own views on the charges at the bar after having a long discussion with the other owner (it's a partnership they have there) but of out respect for the owners I won't post these views here.

Well ok.. it would seem that you guys know more than Eddie the Owner of the bar (the El Murpys bar is owned by him via a Thai company, the building is rented. big difference)

Darren. I actually spoke to him at length about this. He told me that there USED to be a charge for when the band was playing but they do NOT charge now (and haven't for some time)

He also admitted that there should be bar / drinks menu's. He has been waiting for a designer to do them.

I am relaying the info that he has told me. As i have said other than drinking in Eddies bars over the years i am not affiliated with him in any way.

And as i have asked is there any other pub in HH that has decent food, aircon and a good live band playing most nights....if so where?

PS: If there is actually a charge for when the band plays why hasn't any one posted a picture of the check bin. As it's been noted that you get one when you pay?????

When i was in there about 10 days ago the price i paid was the price that i got quoted before ordering + the 7% Thai tax (this was well after the happy hour and the band was playing)

Anyway if i have upset anybody with my comments i'm sorry, but as far as I'm concerned all this blathering has been about nothing. It is so easy to ask "how much" which you have to do in pretty much every other bar/pub in HH.

I can see the 7% thing though. I advised Eddie to have a prominent poster stating this put up over the till area. Very often when running a busy business the little things are forgotten.

To all enjoy your drinksburp.gif

Well I don't know about anyone else but personally I don't ask the price of a drink before I buy one, If after I get the bill I think I it's to high, I simply don't go back.

As for somebody posting a copy of the reciept I would imagine that they wouldn't let you take a copy anyway would they? They would need this for their own records.

I've got my own views on the charges at the bar after having a long discussion with the other owner (it's a partnership they have there) but of out respect for the owners I won't post these views here.

I did ask for the price of the drinks before i ordered (Pint of cider and a bacardi breezer).. as i always do when they dont have a drinks price menu. The girl had to go and ask what the price was...and i was charged that price for the first drink.... PLUS VAT 7%..

The second round i reordered the same... when i check binned it came with the different prices for the same drinks.. (i think it was 30 baht more per drink for the second round -- i did have a copy of it but didn't keep it ).. when i questioned the different pricing i was told it was an after 9pm charge --nothng about the band.. (that took 3 people to explain what it was! laugh.gif)...

It would make sense that it was charge for the band... and the band was good..

It would be better if it was simply stated on the drinks menu...or the price they give you is actually the price... It isn't a huge sum of course, but it does make you more likely t try out different pub next time.

Wouldn't it just be better allround for everyone if the 7% vat was just incorporated into the original beverage price...full stop?Then there would be none of this crap going on with posts and counter accusations going back and forth!!The whole problem seems to be that this is a 'snidey move' bunging on the 7% right at the end..am I wrong on this?

Wouldn't it just be better allround for everyone if the 7% vat was just incorporated into the original beverage price...full stop?Then there would be none of this crap going on with posts and counter accusations going back and forth!!The whole problem seems to be that this is a 'snidey move' bunging on the 7% right at the end..am I wrong on this?

It seems that everyone except for thaicbr would agree with you. He is on a different wave length and comes across as one of those people who thinks that they are always right and resorts to rudness rather then civil debate whenever someone disagrees with him.

I think your comment "snidey move" just about sums it up :D

It seems that everyone except for thaicbr would agree with you. He is on a different wave length and comes across as one of those people who thinks that they are always right and resorts to rudness rather then civil debate whenever someone disagrees with him.

Actually i do agree it would be better to have it included.. and YES they should have a drinks menu .

I'm pretty sure i stated several times to that effect. I was told that El murphy's accountant advised that they had to do it this way (adding it to the bill) after advice from the Tax dept.

As for civil debate Samsipet not seen much of that. It is yourself that has bashed on about the "band charge" that is non-existent (according to Eddie the owner)

Any way.. hopefully the owners will react to the hubub and get the drinks menus and the VAT added into the prices then every one will be happy.

Until the bashers find something else to bitch about.. maybe the toilet roll is to hard or something :D

PS. And so far NO proof of a band charge has been forthcoming.

Or in fact information about any other bars/ pubs offering a great band, good food and aircon.. so i can only imagine that El Murphy's is the ONLY ONE in Hua Hin offering this combination.

samsipet.. after looking at another forum relevant to this thread is your name by any chance Richard and you support LUFC?

IF SO WHY ARE YOU REGURGITATING an old thread that has been answered so many times.

No and no.

Look back through the posts and you are the only one defending the 7% VAT addition and that is the main complaint being leveled. How many other establishments add this as a seperate item? None that I know of except for some hotels. Everywhere else from MK, to burger bars, to street vendors and all of the other bars in the same area all have VAT included in the prices. Many, if not most, of the other bars in the area do have a drinks menu and it does not take months to get one printed up which is at least how long this problem has existed.

None of your statements or arguemnts add up and all have been corrected by almost every other post so why not just grow up and admit that you are wrong? Something for you to think about is a quote attributed to Mark Twain "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open ones mouth and remove all doubt"

I will be in Hua Hin for several months early next year and I will do a survey of the bars in the area and see how many have a drinks menu and how many add VAT as an extra. I suspect that the answers will be that the vast majority will have a menu and none will add VAT on top except, of course, El Murphy's. So assuming that the thread isn't closed my next post here will be late Jan or early Feb.

Any excuse for a bar crawl :drunk:

P.S. Here in Chiang Mai I do not know any bar that does not have a menu and I do not know of any that add VAT to the bill.

Most bars do not charge VAT Thats because they are not Incorporated Thai companies..But sole traders but as i have said before El murphys should try and incorporate the VAT into the price..

I was posting in the context that people were saying it's dodgy as in a business charging vat is dodgy, Which it obviously is not.

And i agree a good excuse for a pub crawl...but when you do your survey do not forget to ask for a VAT invoice. :D

ps.. as for a drinks menu in bars in Hua Hin i think the vast majority will NOT have a drinks menu.... maybe a sign board stating happy hours but a fully fledged drinks menu ...nope.

ThaiCBR is correct. It depends on the way a business is registered and owned. I read a detailed explanation of it somewhere, but I've been searching for the last two days and can't find it.

VAT is required to be charged, reported, and paid to the government, depending on what kind of company you have. I believe this is why El Murphy's does this (it is not just a small pub like most of the rest on the street, but a restaurant and hotel as well) just like the Hilton, or any other establishment owned in a corporate manner. Just be happy he doesn't add a 15% gratuity like a lot of places do.

Yes, he should have a drinks menu with prices and times of price change, and there should be a note on the bottom of all menu pages that states that the 7% VAT will be added to the bill.

Edited by hhfarang

VAT is required to be charged, reported, and paid to the government, depending on what kind of company you have.

Yes all true.

Sure as a VAT registered company you have to charge VAT and pass it on the government but you do not have to publish your prices ex VAT and then add it on as an extra when the bill is paid. There is absolutely nothing stopping you showing the price inclusive of VAT which is exactly what the vast majority of companies here do.

Edit : Of course the final bill should show the VAT element seperately but that does not affect the prices published on a menu

Edited by SamSipEt

Sorry but I don't understand how having to charge the VAT has anything to do with it. As a company owner I have to charge VAT but if my customers are private persons I always give them a price that already includes VAT. If the price is 107 I draw an invoice that shows 100 as the price + 7 VAT, or if the price is 100 then the invoice shows 93.46 + 6.54. I think that what matters is that the VAT is shown on the invoices you give to your accountant. Whether you include or exclude it from the price you give to your customer is your own choice, nobody forces you to exclude it. Or am I missing something?

Besides, as a customer when I go somewhere I like to know what I will be paying. So if I'm in a restaurant and I'm checking the menu, I want to see the final price. I couldn't care less if the owner has to pay taxes or not and I don't want to be charged another 7 or 10% for whatever reasons are explained in a small footprint. Maybe Americans are used to this system, but Thai people (and most people I guess) surely aren't.

Yes I agree, leave this idiot alone, hes ranting on about the same old rubbish, only him, why is he so defensive about a bar that is rented by 2 guys he visits when in Hua Hin, he says he does not even live in Hua Hin.

"Band charge" or "after 9pm charge" its just words, he does not listen.

Waiting for graphics for a Drinks Menu, how long 2,3 4 years. Will it have VAT included and the after 9pm charge ??????? :lol:

Bars in Hua Hin that have live bands, I can think of 4 in the red light area, 1 has aircon the others open air, do they serve food, why is that important, I don't see people stuffing their faces after 9pm while being ripped off with a 7% vat or after 9pm charge, does anyone else, bet thaicbr wanna to be a hells angel has.

Edited by BazilFox

Well, all complaints aside, the place must be doing ok. I've been here over seven years and I think it opened within about a year after I arrived... so, while most other bars come and go or change ownership frequently El Murphy's has always been the same so I guess he must be doing something right. ;)

Edited by hhfarang

Yes I agree, leave this idiot alone, hes ranting on about the same old rubbish, only him, why is he so defensive about a bar that is rented by 2 guys he visits when in Hua Hin, he says he does not even live in Hua Hin.

Waiting for graphics for a Drinks Menu, how long 2,3 4 years. Will it have VAT included and the after 9pm charge ??????? :lol:

Bars in Hua Hin that have live bands, I can think of 4 in the red light area, 1 has aircon the others open air, do they serve food, why is that important, I don't see people stuffing their faces after 9pm while being ripped off with a 7% vat or after 9pm charge, does anyone else, bet thaicbr wanna to be a hells angel has.

?

Bazil. What difference does it make if I live in HH or not? I have been told by one of the owners that there is NO band/after 9pm charge. That's the information I passed on.

Out of interest what is the name of the bar that has a live band and aircon?

Me a hell's angel hahahahaha

?

Bazil. What difference does it make if I live in HH or not? I have been told by one of the owners that there is NO band/after 9pm charge. That's the information I passed on.

Out of interest what is the name of the bar that has a live band and aircon?

Me a hell's angel hahahahaha

The bar with the band and Aircon will be Jimmys Bar, bang in the centre of the Binthabat Soi

Thaicbr, I have mentioned that I don't want to get involved in any arguments here and that still stands but if you look at the OP on this thread the poster was told that he was charged extra after 9pm and when queried it was told it was a "after 9pm charge"

Darren. I saw that. I also know from 1st hand experience that sometimes Thai's say the 1st thing that comes into their heads.

But anyway people going to HH can make up their own minds if they want to go to El Murphy's or not.

As for Jimmy's bar i did not notice an enclosed bar on Bintabaht... I will have to look harder on my next visit.biggrin.gif

Every body have a good life. It's there to be enjoyed.

Darren. I saw that. I also know from 1st hand experience that sometimes Thai's say the 1st thing that comes into their heads.

But anyway people going to HH can make up their own minds if they want to go to El Murphy's or not.

As for Jimmy's bar i did not notice an enclosed bar on Bintabaht... I will have to look harder on my next visit.biggrin.gif

Jimmys is ok ish, I took a friend in there a few weeks ago, he looked at all the old guys dancing around to the pretty average band and commented it was like being at a wedding :))

Yes I agree with you that Thais will say the first thing that comes into their head but if you look at the facts the OP bought 2 rounds of drinks and the 2nd one after 9pm was 30 baht a drink more, call this a after 9pm charge or a band charge he still got charged extra.

Jimmys is ok ish, I took a friend in there a few weeks ago, he looked at all the old guys dancing around to the pretty average band and commented it was like being at a wedding :))

Yes I agree with you that Thais will say the first thing that comes into their head but if you look at the facts the OP bought 2 rounds of drinks and the 2nd one after 9pm was 30 baht a drink more, call this a after 9pm charge or a band charge he still got charged extra.

That's true enough. Unless he got the 1st drink before 7pmbiggrin.gif

Any way next time i go down i will check my bill closely and if in fact there is a band/after 9pm charge.

Be assured i will be extremely annoyed mad.gif

Well, all complaints aside, the place must be doing ok. I've been here over seven years and I think it opened within about a year after I arrived... so, while most other bars come and go or change ownership frequently El Murphy's has always been the same so I guess he must be doing something right. ;)

Probably because of the huge profit margins aided and abetted by

Vague

Additions to the

Total

Only kidding and any Farang who can keep a legit business running here for a few years is doing well.

Good luck to them. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Any way next time i go down i will check my bill closely and if in fact there is a band/after 9pm charge.

Hope you type your apoligy for being wrong and wasting our time. :rolleyes:

Hope you type your apoligy for being wrong and wasting our time. :rolleyes:

Ok. Went in El murphy's last night. They now have drinks menus that state 'vat excluded '. I ordered a Singha jug (menu 210b) at 8.40pm. I also ordered another Singha jug at 9.35pm. I had ice with both. when I got the bill it was charged at 190b and 210b. the 190b was happy hour price (7am-9pm.it's been extended )

So no band surcharge, so no need for apologies from me. if you would like to apologize. then ok.

So you did get charged extra for your drink....... after 9pm.......when the band was on.

So you did get charged extra for your drink....... after 9pm.......when the band was on.

No I didn't. I got charged less BEFORE 9pm. The menu states 210b. between 7am-9pm it's happy hour so some drinks are CHEAPER than the menu. I hope that's clear now.

Oh come on thaicbr are you really fooled by that? Please tell me you are not?

fooled by what???? It is exactly how I and others explained it. You choose to see it another way.

Anyway El Murphy now have drinks menus again that show vat is excluded and the pricing has been explained (eg happy hour). People reading this can make up their own minds. Everyone have a nice time.

Oh come on thaicbr are you really fooled by that? Please tell me you are not?

fooled by what???? It is exactly how I and others explained it. You choose to see it another way.

Anyway El Murphy now have drinks menus again that show vat is excluded and the pricing has been explained (eg happy hour). People reading this can make up their own minds. Everyone have a nice time.

Well if you foolish enough to swallow the Happy Hour story that's up to you, most of the posters on here live in Hua Hin and know what the extra charge is really for but I suppose we will have to disagree on that point.

I have spoken to numerous people over the years who have been in and asked why they had been charged the extra on their bill, the response from both staff AND management has been "to pay for the band" just because they are now wording it differently it still doesn't alter the fact does it?

2 Years to finally change the menus showing the VAT charge, Not bad at all.

Edited by darrendsd