Countersigning Uk Passport Application?

Hey, I am trying to renew my passport as I ran out of pages but I have only been in Thailand for 6 weeks and dont know anyone who knows me for 2 years. I'm currently living in Phuket and dont have time to go to Bangkok. What can I do??

One option I am considering is asking an american esl teacher to sign as itis written a teacher is ok, but they would have to lie about knowing me 2 years... Or maybe I could go to a hospital and have a doctor, or police station bla bla??? Please help!!

In your situation, I reckon any fellow Brit of good standing and preferably with some greater level of Thai 'residency' may suffice. Copies of his passport and current Thai immigration status will need to be part of your application. I don't think an American ESL'er will cut the mustard!

If you haven't made any Brit buddies yet, better get started tonight!

If you are renewing your passport and have the old one you do not need to get it countersigned, but I believe you have to apply in person.

If you cannot get to Bangkok this could be a problem for you. Phone the Embassy and ask if you can apply by post without the countersign.

:)

If you are renewing a passport and your appearance has not changed significantly compared to the picture in the old passport the application does not have to be counter signed. I have just applied for a new UK passport and it states the above on the website.

What passport photographs do I need?

You need to provide

• two identical passport sized photographs. These must comply with the IPS Rules for Photographs although for overseas applications the background of the passport photograph required can be white and do not have to be printed on plain white photographic paper.<br style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">
  • Countersignatures on the back of your photographs are not necessary and the countersignature box on the application form does not need to be completed if your appearance has not changed significantly since your previous passport was issued.

OH! That is great news, can I have the link so I can check it and read it for myself. I read through everything on the website I was using before but it never said anything about leaving the countersignature box blank.

In your situation, I reckon any fellow Brit of good standing and preferably with some greater level of Thai 'residency' may suffice. Copies of his passport and current Thai immigration status will need to be part of your application. I don't think an American ESL'er will cut the mustard!

If you haven't made any Brit buddies yet, better get started tonight!

Incorrect information. Counter signatory not required for renewals where your appearance hasn't changed.

Beyond that, it seems any Tom, Dick or Harry can now countersign:-

Who you can ask to be your countersignatory

Your countersignatory should:

• have known you for at least two years
  • live in the UK

Your countersignatory should not:

• be related to you by birth or marriage
  • be in a personal relationship with you
  • live at the same address as you
  • work for the Identity and Passport Service

Your countersignatory should be a professional person or a person of good standing in the community. If you are not sure who to ask, call the IPS Passport Adviceline on 0300 222 0000.

These are examples of the type of person that would be suitable:

• accountant
  • airline pilot
  • articled clerk of a limited company
  • assurance agent of recognised company
  • bank/building society official
  • barrister
  • chairman/director of limited company
  • chiropodist
  • commissioner of oaths
  • councillor (local or county)
  • civil servant (permanent), but not someone who works for IPS
  • dentist
  • director/manager of a VAT-registered charity
  • director/manager/personnel officer of a VAT-registered company
  • engineer (with professional qualifications)
  • financial services intermediary (eg a stockbroker or insurance broker)
  • fire service official
  • funeral director
  • insurance agent (full time) of a recognised company
  • journalist
  • Justice of the Peace
  • legal secretary (fellow or associate member of the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs)
  • licensee of public house
  • local government officer
  • manager/personnel officer (of a limited company)
  • member, associate or fellow of a professional body
  • Member of Parliament
  • Merchant Navy officer
  • minister of a recognised religion (including Christian Science)
  • nurse (RGN and RMN)
  • officer of the armed services (active or retired)
  • optician
  • paralegal (certified paralegal, qualified paralegal or associate member of the Institute of Paralegals)
  • person with honours (an OBE or MBE, for example)
  • pharmacist
  • photographer (professional)
  • police officer
  • Post Office official
  • president/secretary of a recognised organisation
  • Salvation Army officer
  • social worker
  • solicitor
  • surveyor
  • teacher, lecturer
  • trade union officer
  • travel agent (qualified)
  • valuer or auctioneer (fellows and associate members of the incorporated society)
  • Warrant Officers and Chief Petty Officers

My current passport shows me with a beard.

I shaved that off several years ago.

Would I still need a counter signatory?

You could re-grow your beard...:lol: ......knowing the loonies at the FO would think they would deem shaving a beard off a significant change in your appearance///

My current passport shows me with a beard.

I shaved that off several years ago.

Would I still need a counter signatory?

You could re-grow your beard...:lol: ......knowing the loonies at the FO would think they would deem shaving a beard off a significant change in your appearance///

Bugger

If you are renewing your passport and have the old one you do not need to get it countersigned, but I believe you have to apply in person.

If you cannot get to Bangkok this could be a problem for you. Phone the Embassy and ask if you can apply by post without the countersign.

I thought all applications have to be sent to Hong Kong now and Bangkok do not accept any?

I thought all applications have to be sent to Hong Kong now and Bangkok do not accept any?

They do have to go to HK.....The BE in Bangkok will only deal with emergency PP

Who you can ask to be your countersignatory

Your countersignatory should:

• have known you for at least two years
  • live in the UK

All the Brits I know that live in Thailand don't live in the UK

au contraire PP - I know many Brits who live in the UK but spend a lot of their time staying in Thailand,.

Haha funeral director is ok?? Shame I dont know any... Anyway if its really not needed for renewals then thanks so much for the info! Ill just leave the box blank and hope for the best. Cheers!

Noz, I left mine blank and just got the receipt for payment from HK today, so it has gone to the UK. You should be fine.

You have to send the application to Hong Kong + a copy of the existing passport. Your existing passport will be electronically cancelled as soon as your application is received in Hong Kong.

You are now stuck in Thailand - cannot leave!

After 2/3 weeks they will get round to looking at it, and cash the money order/debit the credit card whose details you sent.

Then the application will be sent to the UK for passport printing, and eventually (minimum 6 weeks) you will receive the new passport by courier.

Edited by prakhonchai nick

I am also about to run out of pages, spoke to consulate in chang mai much smaller and very helpful

they will check for you forms once completed so no return for incorect completion

then DHL to hongkong special rate agree by embassey for Honk kong

No need to have photographs signed

need UK credit card, you will be billed in HK dollars

do not send original passport, but copy, see web site re thailand

HK will send to UK who return it by courier to thailand

All takes about a month I believe

It is also easier to talk to consulate in chang mai rather than embassey in BKK

Must do in the next month

If you are in Bangkok, it's worth asking at the British Consulate, if they can countersign for you, given you don't know any one in Thailand who meets the requirements. They signed a couple for me in the days when they issued the passports themselves. In their case, they didn't need to know the applicant for two years. They just sign to confirm the picture is a true likeness. They would probably charge for it now though, if they are still willing to do it.

snip/

need UK credit card, you will be billed in HK dollars

snip/

I renewed mine 2 months ago, no countersignature required. I used a Thai credit card, no need for a UK one. Total was 3 weeks.

If you are in Bangkok, it's worth asking at the British Consulate, if they can countersign for you, given you don't know any one in Thailand who meets the requirements. They signed a couple for me in the days when they issued the passports themselves. In their case, they didn't need to know the applicant for two years. They just sign to confirm the picture is a true likeness. They would probably charge for it now though, if they are still willing to do it.

It use to be that if you applied in person then you don't need any countersign. (Edit: although they never actually told you this)

So not possible now unless you happen to be in Hong Kong.

Edited by PattayaParent