Do I Need To Take A Driving Test If I Have A Uk License

hotandhumid

Do you have all the other stuff ?

Certificate of residence

Health certificate

Visa in order

And i believe you dont have to do the tests then.

Yes, if it's for the same type of vehicle you should be ok. Maybe they want a translation of your current DL.

Copies, Copies and then more copies. You might as well copy every thing you can,all the way up to your water bill. They just love to have copies of anything

Kidding but they will want copies of everything so might as well have them with you

Good luck

You do not have to take a car driving test again which includes automatic and manual geared vehicles, providing your UK license is current and valid.

But you will be required to take a full motorbike driving test if your current UK driving license does not include motorbikes.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Unless they have tightened up the aplications for "Farangs" then you may have an easy ride (no pun intended)

As for me:

perhaps I was ultra lucky a few years ago,I waited to get called out to go up to the window,and lo and behold,a very nice Lady called me into her office,and gave me two forms to fill out (one for a car and the other for a Motorcycle licence),showed her my clean UK Driving Licence, and she commented on no Endorsements, "You good Driver" many would disagree with that comment? finally after a pleasant 30 minutes chat, she took me up to the desk / window (even though there were many still waiting) ,and I was dealt with instantly,and came out with both licences.

Lucky or what?

Further Development:

A few months later,my wife and I went for her Car Licence,and she didn't get the same treatment,as me,but at the time "Farangs" were still a novelty,in that area of Thailand!

Copies, Copies and then more copies. You might as well copy every thing you can,all the way up to your water bill. They just love to have copies of anything

Kidding but they will want copies of everything so might as well have them with you

Good luck

I had all my copies, when I renewed my 5-year-license last month, but they still caught-me-out by wanting to see the original passport, as well as the photocoy of it ! Smile sweetly & think 'jai yen yen' ! :rolleyes:

It depends on the office that you visit. Some will just take your UK license, some will insist that you have a valid international driving permit as well. I had the UK license but didn't have the IDP so my office made me do theory and practical tests, no big deal as they are easy enough.

It depends on the office that you visit. Some will just take your UK license, some will insist that you have a valid international driving permit as well. I had the UK license but didn't have the IDP so my office made me do theory and practical tests, no big deal as they are easy enough.

Same with me.

No IDP = take test

You need your UK license (no translation needed), a medical certificate (any local Thai clinic can issue this, costs about 90 Baht I think), work permit and passport. I can't speak for every office, but the one at On Nut has a photocopier there so no need to get the copies in advance. Then you need to fill in some forms, do a short sight test and then you're done, pretty much.

You do not have to take a car driving test again which includes automatic and manual geared vehicles, providing your UK license is current and valid.

But you will be required to take a full motorbike driving test if your current UK driving license does not include motorbikes.

A UK licence states something like ( as mine is lost) that as licenced to drive a car in the UK you can drive a m/c up to 125cc. If that is the case, do you need to sit a m/c test here?

So many offices, so many applicants, so many different procedures, forms and tests.

Some people visit the L&T office in order to ask what they need and even THEN it may happen that procedures change overnight.

That about sums it up. At Rayong, they weren't interested in the IDP, although I had one. They just made me do the colour blindness, peripheral vision, distance perception and reaction time tests, and that was it. For the renewal after one year, no tests, in and out in 20 minutes.

Same with me.

No IDP = take test

I now notice that the OP is a Pattaya poster and will be applying in Pattaya which is where I applied and had to sit the test with not having an IDP.

Please post your result H&H

Edited by PattayaParent

International Driving Permit, valid for 12 months and obtained through motoring agencies such as the AA, etc.

Makes life so much easier.

I produced three licenses when I applied. My old UK pink paper one in about three pieces. No interest.

A valid Singapore lisence with photo and IDP from the AA went down well. I came out with both bike and car licenses, after doing the eye and reaction test, I was sent on my way without any basic theory test. It would have been in Thai so I would have failed miserably anyway.

This was in Korat.

I got my license 2 years ago, took my Australia licence and international license and other paperwork.

They made me do a brake test. I had to sit in a chair and wen the light come on, I had to brake before the lights reached a line. Then two little sticks where side by side and where moving, I hand to hit the brake when they were next to each other.

Very simple, I did not do any theory test at all.

This was for a car license.

Same with me.

No IDP = take test

I now notice that the OP is a Pattaya poster and will be applying in Pattaya which is where I applied and had to sit the test with not having an IDP.

Ooookkkkkk, just got in.

All sorted, and pretty easily to be fair. Was in there for around 90 minutes and walked out with a 1 year thai license for the paltry fee of 205 baht (why is it so cheap?)

As I stated, I had a valid UK license, that was enough, they didn't ask for an IDP. I only had to take the eye sight test, nothing else.

It was just as well that I took my original passport and UK license as they did ask for it. I have a NON 'B' visa.

I only wanted a car license.

Hope all this helps.

H&H

Same with me.

No IDP = take test

Ooookkkkkk, just got in.

All sorted, and pretty easily to be fair. Was in there for around 90 minutes and walked out with a 1 year thai license for the paltry fee of 205 baht (why is it so cheap?)

As I stated, I had a valid UK license, that was enough, they didn't ask for an IDP. I only had to take the eye sight test, nothing else.

It was just as well that I took my original passport and UK license as they did ask for it. I have a NON 'B' visa.

I only wanted a car license.

Hope all this helps.

H&H

Congratulations. You now have a most valuable document, acceptable as id for checking into internal flights or hotels, and getting in to many places, such as Nong Nooch Gardens or landing on Koh Samed, at the Thai rather than the farang price. Oh, and you can drive a car as well..

Eff - Thanks. The ID thing was a big incentive for getting this, IT is very handy, I almost feel like a Thai! I should have done it before now but too lazy.

I have actually been driving on my UK license with an IDL for 2 years now, my insurance co said that was fine.

You need your UK license (no translation needed), a medical certificate (any local Thai clinic can issue this, costs about 90 Baht I think), work permit and passport. I can't speak for every office, but the one at On Nut has a photocopier there so no need to get the copies in advance. Then you need to fill in some forms, do a short sight test and then you're done, pretty much.

You dont need a work permit at all and that was from the one AT ON NUT.

And if this is the case, you will need double papers of everything.

You need double copies of everything. However, you do not need two separate Certificates of residency, as some say is required. They accept a copy of the original if you are getting both your car and Motorcycle license on the same day.

I did 2 years ago, must have changed recently. Unless there are other documents you can show instead of a work permit, e.g. to prove you're retired here or whatever.

I did 2 years ago, must have changed recently. Unless there are other documents you can show instead of a work permit, e.g. to prove you're retired here or whatever.

You just need a NON immigrant visa, simple as that, stop confusing things.