Applying For Residency Document For Driving Licence

Sorry but I have to disagree with some of the posts above.

A non-B visa can be issued for the purpose of seeking employment or business opportunities. If you are asked just tell them this is what you are doing.

As far as not qualifying for the residency letter because you are not on extension of stay, again I would disagree. I got my driving license about 5 years ago, at the time I was on a non-O for the purpose of visiting friends. I was not on an extension and had to do 3 month border runs the same as you.

Being on a non-B visa does not automatically mean you must have a WP, I guarantee if you go to immigration they will not even ask.

As QED says, this is a non-issue. During my years here I've had at least 3 Non-B multiple visas. My first non-B was issued to seek employment.

Never had a work permit, so been doing boarder runs every 90-days.

The OP doesn't have to worry about having a non-B without a work permit, this is completely legal and quite common.

Not sure how many letters of residency I've applied for at immigration. But they have been for opening bank accounts, applying for, and renewing driving licenses

So I'd say, at least 5 letters have been received and never been asked a question. Granted that some of these letters could have been received when I've been on a non-O multi.

Just had too many different visas to remember them all.

Granted all letters of residency have been applied for in Pattaya, or now Jomtien, who seems to be a bit laxed about issuing them.

You dont need a Non-imm B to seek employment...

Just because you have to run the border every 3 months doesnt impy you dont need a WP.

Having a Non-imm B and not having a WP and actually working in Thailand is not legal, so dont know were you get this idea.

If the OP has been here for seven months now, his overseas driving license is no longer valid in Thailand. The cops may not mind but his insurance company will not honor any claims.

This is correct and bear in mind that Thailand is only a signatory of the originally international driving licence treaty in the late 40s and not the later one. The significance of this is important because it means that Thailand only recognizes international driving licences as valid for for the first three months from its date of issue, even though it will say on it that it is valid for 12 months. A Thai insurance company warned me that they would not cough up for claims involving expat drivers with only international driving licences, unless they were only temporary visitors with an international driving licence less than three months old. Those who effectively live in Thailand are required to have a Thai driving licence and are driving illegally if they don't have one. So the insurance cos are in their rights to reject claims. Also temporary visitors driving on foreign licences without an international driving licence less than three months old are driving illegally and the same applies.

Of course, insurance companies may not tell expats this because it is great business to get the premiums with no major risk. Anyway it is in your interests to ensure you are driving legally in Thailand and it is not very difficult to get a Thai licence.

Sorry but I have to disagree with some of the posts above.

A non-B visa can be issued for the purpose of seeking employment or business opportunities. If you are asked just tell them this is what you are doing.

As far as not qualifying for the residency letter because you are not on extension of stay, again I would disagree. I got my driving license about 5 years ago, at the time I was on a non-O for the purpose of visiting friends. I was not on an extension and had to do 3 month border runs the same as you.

Being on a non-B visa does not automatically mean you must have a WP, I guarantee if you go to immigration they will not even ask.

As QED says, this is a non-issue. During my years here I've had at least 3 Non-B multiple visas. My first non-B was issued to seek employment.

Never had a work permit, so been doing boarder runs every 90-days.

The OP doesn't have to worry about having a non-B without a work permit, this is completely legal and quite common.

Not sure how many letters of residency I've applied for at immigration. But they have been for opening bank accounts, applying for, and renewing driving licenses

So I'd say, at least 5 letters have been received and never been asked a question. Granted that some of these letters could have been received when I've been on a non-O multi.

Just had too many different visas to remember them all.

Granted all letters of residency have been applied for in Pattaya, or now Jomtien, who seems to be a bit laxed about issuing them.

You dont need a Non-imm B to seek employment...

Just because you have to run the border every 3 months doesnt impy you dont need a WP.

Having a Non-imm B and not having a WP and actually working in Thailand is not legal, so dont know were you get this idea.

No you don't need a non-B to seek employment, where did I say you do need it?

Just stating on what grounds my first non-B was issued on.

Where did I say a boarder run would 'impy' a work permit?

If you don't have a work permit, you will have to do boarder runs, this is the situation the OP is in.

Working in Thailand without a work permit is illegal, where did I say differently?

Please don't put words in my mouth, I'm not talking about working illegally in Thailand.

I was telling the OP that there is nothing illegal being in Thailand on a non-B visa without a work permit, it's actually quite common.

And as he's trying to get a letter of residency, I said I've been in the same situation multiple times and always received my letter of residency.