Thai Govt Scales Down Plan To Give Free Tablet Computers

webfact

My Thai wife's parents back in the village made a big thing of the fact that students would all have Apple iPads if the new Government won power

My wife said nothing as she has no right to an opinion in her village although she is Uni educated

But later said to me, that will be lucky to even get a cheap Ipad cover

The sad part is her village still believes all the things they promised will come

Why is your wife not allowed an opinion in her village?

simple, its a RED village

no descent is allowed or else!

timekeeper, absolutely no offense intended, however, I thought the word you used to be more correct.

Red Shirt Villages require nor allow no "descent" as they have already reached their lowest point. :unsure:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sub-basic model is probably as close to 'Free' as they're going to get. It's also very green, There's a solar-powered version still in government-funded development.

i seriously think this is a good idea, thais would rather use a calculator though to find out what 2 + 2 is !

Oh dear another promise broken, who would have expected that to happen..... See by the photograph the minister is doing a sterling job educating people.....This is fork, say after me...fork fork...fork off you peasants we got your vote....:rolleyes:

That's not a fork. That's the antenna for the wireless router they plan to use.

What they will probably get is 300 baht mobile phone made in China with a fork glued to the side of it so they can connect to a newly set up internet company owned by who else but ST himself? Who'll charge them 400 baht a month to connect.laugh.gif

Another huge backtracking... :bah:

From the massive electioneering promise of all students, numbering in the millions, in all schools receiving the implied Samsung Galaxy tablets that Yingluck paraded to the campaign crowds... down to only first graders receiving 2,000 baht plastic readers... to now, only some first graders.

For once I agree with you....

But hey, don't be too hard on lil sister, give her some credit for canceling the scheduled war with Kampuchea.....

The irony... The Thai public get what they voted for. Peua Thai buy the hearts and minds of the largely ignorant population with amazing electoral promises and then these pledges turn out to be unrealistic to implement.

The poor are sitting with their begging bowls waiting for PT to dish out freebies. The rude awaking is it isn't going to happen.

Edited by MaiChai

Oh dear another promise broken, who would have expected that to happen..... See by the photograph the minister is doing a sterling job educating people.....This is fork, say after me...fork fork...fork off you peasants we got your vote....:rolleyes:

What they will probably get is 300 baht mobile phone made in China with a fork glued to the side of it so they can connect to a newly set up internet company owned by who else but ST himself? Who'll charge them 400 baht a month to connect.laugh.gif

Do you remember when Thaksin was PM? Do you remember the surveys that showed that in places like Roi Et and Maha Sarakham villagers were spending up to 57% of their monthly income on Thaksin's mobile phone services? He sucked those people who are his most ardent suppoters dry. Then when the heat got too great he travelled to Roi Et to escape the media, he made a big show of peeling off 1,000 Bt notes for the grannies if they groveled enough.

Proficient practitioners will equip students with working skills; but the Government Teacher and Educational Personnel Act does not allow people without professional teaching licences to teach.

Woravat said he would adjust some regulations to allow experts from different professions to be involved in teaching.

Which means that not much will change for foreigners to teach English? jap.gif

Another huge backtracking... :bah:

From the massive electioneering promise of all students, numbering in the millions, in all schools receiving the implied Samsung Galaxy tablets that Yingluck paraded to the campaign crowds... down to only first graders receiving 2,000 baht plastic readers... to now, only some first graders.

For once I agree with you....

But hey, don't be too hard on lil sister, give her some credit for canceling the scheduled war with Kampuchea.....

Credit for what- just telling the army to withdraw from the hot zone a little, WOW she is incredible.

Do you remember when Thaksin was PM? Do you remember the surveys that showed that in places like Roi Et and Maha Sarakham villagers were spending up to 57% of their monthly income on Thaksin's mobile phone services? He sucked those people who are his most ardent suppoters dry. Then when the heat got too great he travelled to Roi Et to escape the media, he made a big show of peeling off 1,000 Bt notes for the grannies if they groveled enough.

Which reminds me of:

1. The thaksin so called 'reality show' when he went to several houses in several villages (mostly in Roi et) and gave each family an idea of how to start a business, 'Fishfarm' came up again and again, but nobody mentioned that fishfarms are illegal because of the environmental damage that they do.

2. The original 1M Baht Village Fund. The mother of a friend of my son (the lady is a very senior public servant) was appointed to the ultimate top level committee to distribute the 1M Baht cheques and the same committee was responsible to draw up the guidelines for: how the money had to be spent / distributed / accounted for. She resigned very quickly and in her resignation letter she made sure she mentioned that she disagreed with the guidelines (read dictate) which came down from above.

Edited by scorecard

Woravat has an idea to provide the tablets with basic specifications, but if any schools want higher or advanced specifications, they can apply for funds to get them.

Curious to learn what these "basic and advanced specs" might be :rolleyes:

The advanced models will come with Angry Birds pre-installed

People predicted the tablet system would fail without teacher training, so on that point the goverment does well to rethink the strategy, and look to deliver a solid solution to the education problems it is trying to address

Also good initiative on drug rehabilitation

I get the impression the government is turning the slow wheels of decision making a liittle faster and is striving to make change to benefit Thailand, concentrating on the areas such as corruption

and opponents of the government are concentrating on..........

Oh yeah.......Thaksin.........

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

The government is doing the right thing. Had the tablets been distributed to every child immediately all the same posters here would be surely accusing the government of wasting money as the teachers don't know how to use them. Prepare the schools and teachers first is the way to go and really I don't see scaling back just a delay... Another misleading headline?

The government is doing the right thing. Had the tablets been distributed to every child immediately all the same posters here would be surely accusing the government of wasting money as the teachers don't know how to use them. Prepare the schools and teachers first is the way to go and really I don't see scaling back just a delay... Another misleading headline?

I would love to see the P.M. do a tour to the schools to tell them they won't be Samsung- and not for all if we give any they will be Thai made, with 1 week guarantee.

Also Yingluck could stop off in many Issan villages and tell them they were mixed up when they pledged 300 bht min wage when they were elected.

They will not be rich in 6 months sorry, we don't have any money to give you. Even if your house is underwater.

can someone else take over and tell Junglejumbo the rest, as he seemingly wasn't present pre election, or had a hearing problem on the promises.

Your last sentence should read===========Misleading government

Woravat has an idea to provide the tablets with basic specifications, but if any schools want higher or advanced specifications, they can apply for funds to get them.

basic model

I had been involved in a similar project in another developing country (economically behind Thailand) and the project is in quite an advanced stage where Educational courseware is developed by government Technology institutions, together with a leading University and the Education Ministry. From a hardware cost perspective, if a Thai Electronics company is willing to take it up, it is possible to hit below $120 - `$150 [maybe even < $100 now, depending on Qty] (ex-factory to the govt who does the distribution) for a 7" tablet running Android. Of course the performance cannot be compared to iPad or even the Samsung Galaxy but it works OK for educational courseware purposes.

Studies/pilot projects have been done and results were very encouraging with the pilot grade school kids showing as much as 30% improvements in academic tests. In my opinion, it works as kids learn through play and educational games are natural to them.

Woravat is right to say the the concern would be the older teachers. But they must not forget that relevant courseware is very important or else it is just another gadget that will go out of date soon. Correct course-ware will not over tax the HW and it can last for quite a while,

However I think letting schools decide how they want to use the tabler will not work well, There has to be a well defined structured program to roll out the implementation, with courseware as an integral, if not main part of the projec.

Now that I am moving to Thailand, it would be nice if I have the chance to share what I already know and experienced with the right people.

Edited by thanchart

it is possible to hit below $120 - `$150 [maybe even < $100 now, depending on Qty]

That's still a lot more than the 35 USD Indian one. Would you have to cut a lot of corners to get it down to under 50 USD?

However I think letting schools decide how they want to use the tabler will not work well, There has to be a well defined structured program to roll out the implementation, with courseware as an integral, if not main part of the projec.

I think they pass on the responsibility to the schools because Pheu Thai are clueless.

Now that I am moving to Thailand, it would be nice if I have the chance to share what I already know and experienced with the right people.

Once you get here you will find that a lot of things just don't work very smoothly, particularly anything to do with the government and police. They wouldn't want your input either.

it is possible to hit below $120 - `$150 [maybe even < $100 now, depending on Qty]

That's still a lot more than the 35 USD Indian one. Would you have to cut a lot of corners to get it down to under 50 USD?

It really depends on the quality one expects, There is a cost to basic components, The processor and the LCD are big cost contributors and if one pays peanuts, one may get monkeys. For a tablet to be used daily in schools, it should be deigned to last at least 2 years. Cheap components often do not last.

Once you get here you will find that a lot of things just don't work very smoothly, particularly anything to do with the government and police. They wouldn't want your input either.

I'd let the company I will be working for decide if they wanna get involved, IF yes, I would have a lot I can share. Also from where I am coming from (not my native countrty), I think Thailand cannot be worse off, given the economic advancement that has taken place. I was in both countries for business trips around the same period way back in 1992 and Thailand was quite a bit behind - now it's the reverse.

I see a market for one of the big names in this industry to provide a cut down version of these tablets shipped without cameras etc to reduct price, although I can't see Thai authorities purchase leading edge tablets - etch a sketch sounds more like it lol

I see a market for one of the big names in this industry to provide a cut down version of these tablets shipped without cameras etc to reduct price, although I can't see Thai authorities purchase leading edge tablets - etch a sketch sounds more like it lol

I agree. The Govt must realize that if this is to be for education - sort of a replaement for text books, only better, It should not be an all purpose device, filled to the hilt with gadgets. Cameras should not be needed, neither are GPS, etc. A microphone is needed, as well as built-in speakers - tuned for speech and not Fifi music.

Another major cost factor I forgot to mention is battery life. Depends on whether there is electricity in the school classroom. U might not believe this - but there are countries where many schools in the provinces have no electricity

Edited by thanchart

It's quite deceptive and unethical marketing to show and demonstrate the functionality of a 10K THB product when you're only going to give an inferior product that's worth less than half that.

2011%5C169%5C2011-06-18T131950Z_01_BAN203_RTRIDSP_0_THAILAND-ELECTION.jpg

Yingluck Shinawatra, the sister of toppled former Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra and the prime ministerial candidate for the country's biggest opposition Puea Thai party, holds up a Samsung Galaxy Tab tablet computer as she speaks to supporters in Bangkok June 18, 2011. Thais will go to the polls on July 3 for a general election. Yingluck was speaking about using tablets for use in schools as part of her plans if she is elected. REUTERS/Chaiwat Subprasom

Source:Yingluck Shinawatra holds up a tablet computer as she speaks to supporters in Bangkok

30164387-01.jpg

When Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra held up a Samsung Galaxy tablet and announced a plan to give every Prathom 1 (Grade 1) student in the country a free tablet PC, she succeeded in sparking a dream of better education.

Source: Tablets cannot cure the cancer in Thai education

Edited by hyperdimension

It's quite deceptive and unethical marketing to show and demonstrate the functionality of a 10K THB product when you're only going to give an inferior product that's worth less than half that.

2011%5C169%5C2011-06-18T131950Z_01_BAN203_RTRIDSP_0_THAILAND-ELECTION.jpg

Yingluck Shinawatra, the sister of toppled former Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra and the prime ministerial candidate for the country's biggest opposition Puea Thai party, holds up a Samsung Galaxy Tab tablet computer as she speaks to supporters in Bangkok June 18, 2011. Thais will go to the polls on July 3 for a general election. Yingluck was speaking about using tablets for use in schools as part of her plans if she is elected. REUTERS/Chaiwat Subprasom

Source:Yingluck Shinawatra holds up a tablet computer as she speaks to supporters in Bangkok

I agree with u whole-heartedly but this is such a common practise in Politics isn't it? Even in commercial marketing, this happens. One often see demos using top end equipment and the demonstrator tells u the cheaper version on offer is only "Slightly Slower"/ :unsure:

In the project I was involved in, the Video on TV did show the demo using an actual prototype of the final intended version of tablet, with almost the same specs. Maybe because this project was not initiated by politicians but the technocrats. Maybe that is why it was realistic in what they were trying to achieve.

Edited by thanchart

basic model

Excellent....have you heard the joke about Gary Glitter and the Etch-a-sketch ?

no, only know about this glitter problem with PDF files

OUTSTANDING!:cheesy:

there are countries where many schools in the provinces have no electricity

Also, many homes don't have (or have intermittent) electricity.

Many households may not have internet access in their area, or may not be able to afford it even if it's available.

The Internet must NOT be used as the primary/direct source to access educational courseware. If that is the intended approach, it will not work in poor areas/countries. Much of the materials to be used in the class should be already stored locally in the tablet. Else there will be a bottleneck faced by the students if the whole school is accessing the internet at the same time.There are many ways to skin the cat, and that goes for downloading the courseware into the tablets - OFFLINE is a cost-effective way.

For locations with limited or no electricity, even recharging the tablets have to be considered. If the kids cannot recharge the batteries at home, the school has to do it. Should the kids be allowed bring the tablets home in thr 1st place?

I hope those who are in charge of this prioject have clearly defined the objectives of the tablet approach. Is it to give students a powerful gadget to access any information or is it to improve the way lessons are taught and increase the enthusiasm for learning by using the approach of eLearning? Of course the issue of outdated textbooks will become less of a problem with the eLearning approach.

In the project I was involved in, it is assumed that the students will have no direct access to the Internet! For the more fortunate few who have access, good for them. But for the majority, eLearning goes on, with or without the Internet. In fact the internet is used by the program administrators only for updating courseware

While the below article is asking many right questions, it is looking at things from an orthordox perpectve as to how the internet is used - in normal applications

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2011/09/03/opinion/Tablets-cannot-cure-the-cancer-in-Thai-education-30164387.html

Edited by thanchart