Car Rental Insurance

Mike45

I am trying to rent a vehicle for a couple of weeks during my visit to family in Thailand.

I am concerned about having insurance to protect me in case the worst should happen. I haven't figured out how to insure myself in case someone in the other vehicle got injured.

Any Advice on what I should ask for and what it is called?

I have heard the term "First Class Insurance" but haven't found any rental agencies using the term.

I can't get the Thaivisa car rental site to work but have contacted Budget and Avis.

Budget gives us:

(SDW)Comprehensive insurance coverage with no-deductible will be applied in the event of accident and damage(SDW)

Theft Protection Insurance (TP)

Personal Accident insurance (PAE)

Avis Gives us:

Collision Damage Waiver* (CDW) with 8000 baht deductible.

Descriptions of the different types of insurance are below.

1. Collision Damage Waiver* (CDW) and Super Damage Waiver (SDW) "Only pays

for damage to the car that we rent with or without a deductible."

2. Personal Accident and Effects Insurance (PAE) = ฿214/day protects

you and your passengers against accident, injury, and loss to personal

property.

Provides renters and occupants of the rental vehicle with accidental

death benefit and coverage for certain medical expenses resulting from

an accident.

Renters are protected both in and out of the rental vehicle during the

entire rental period, and others are covered while occupying the

vehicle.

Provides protection against loss of, or damage to, certain personal

property of the renter and individuals traveling with the renter and

being transported in your Budget car.

3. Theft Protection Insurance (TP) = ฿160/day covers the costs

in case of theft of the rental car

Hi Mike

regardless of what car rental company you go with, most of the insurance is the same from the brand companies, only local companies may have different levels of cover

now Thailand being Thailand, if you are to have a crash, say a drunk Thai Driver crashes into you on his un insuraed Motorbike, depending on the officer on scene, area of thailand you are, you my be liable to PAY for the drunk driver, reason being that he cannot get medical care of YOUR insurance unless you admit fault, plus the BIB might also just see you as a meal ticket..

i had a friend who had the best insurance coverage, a drunk thai pulled out, BANG, but he still had to pay 250,000 THB !, TIT

Mike,

Most Thai rental outfits include First Class Insurance in the rental, or should do. If they don't look elsewhere! First Class Insurance is the equivalent of Fully Comprehensive Insurance. With the likes of Budget and Avis you need to take out their add-ons to make it comparable. Usually in addition to First Class Insurance there is an "excess" which is typically 5,000 baht which id the amount you will have to pay upto in the event of a claim for an accident or if there is damage to the car when you return it that wasn't present when you took delivery - so check it carefully, make sure any existing damage is marked on the hire agreement and take digital pics as an added precaution. You can usually waive that excess for an additional daily fee which depending on the length of your hire makes it worth it or not. In the UK you can take out an annual worldwide policy that will cover you against this and also, importantly, underbody and tyre damage which rental CDW does not usually cover for about £50.

Forgive me if you already know this but the most important requirement of hiring a car in Thailand is that you MUST have an International Driving Permit issued in your own country in addition to your own country's driving licence. In all probability the hire company will not ask for this IDP as a condition of hire but without it in effect you are driving illegally and in the case of an accident your insurance will be invalidated and you will be in trouble with the police, both of which can have disastrous consequences.

I hope you find this useful.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike,

Most Thai rental outfits include First Class Insurance in the rental, or should do. If they don't look elsewhere! First Class Insurance is the equivalent of Fully Comprehensive Insurance. With the likes of Budget and Avis you need to take out their add-ons to make it comparable. Usually in addition to First Class Insurance there is an "excess" which is typically 5,000 baht which id the amount you will have to pay upto in the event of a claim for an accident or if there is damage to the car when you return it that wasn't present when you took delivery - so check it carefully, make sure any existing damage is marked on the hire agreement and take digital pics as an added precaution. You can usually waive that excess for an additional daily fee which depending on the length of your hire makes it worth it or not. In the UK you can take out an annual worldwide policy that will cover you against this and also, importantly, underbody and tyre damage which rental CDW does not usually cover for about £50.

Forgive me if you already know this but the most important requirement of hiring a car in Thailand is that you MUST have an International Driving Permit issued in your own country in addition to your own country's driving licence. In all probability the hire company will not ask for this IDP as a condition of hire but without it in effect you are driving illegally and in the case of an accident your insurance will be invalidated and you will be in trouble with the police, both of which can have disastrous consequences.

Would I need the International also if I have 5 year Thai Drivers licence ?

I dont think so -- but TIT ???

Mike,

Would I need the International also if I have 5 year Thai Drivers licence ?

I dont think so -- but TIT ???

No. You need a Thai DL if you are staying more than 60 days even with an IDP as insurance not valid after then with IDP but if you have a current Thai DL you don't need an IDP.

Regards

Alan