Mystery Surrounds Aussie Death Plunge In Phuket

webfact

Mystery surrounds Aussie death plunge in Phuket

PHUKET: -- An Australian tourist on holiday in Phuket died over the weekend after falling off a hotel balcony in Patong. It is believed he was sleepwalking at the time.

The story broke in the Thai press by Manager Online news site, which identified the deceased as 33-year-old Dean William McKeon.

The site also posted graphic images of the late Mr McKeon, who was found lying face up dressed only in a pair of camouflage shorts.

A security guard discovered the body of the Australian at 6:30am in a car park after he plunged from the fourth floor balcony of the C&N Hotel, on Rat-U-Thit 200 Pi Road.

Mr McKeon and a group of friends had returned to the the hotel at about 3am after a night out on the town, according to the initial police investigation.

None of the friends were aware of the tragedy until notified by police, according to the report.

Mr McKeon, from Drumcondra in Geelong, had been in Thailand with six friends, three men and three women, celebrating a birthday.

Mr McKeon’s body is in Patong Hospital and his family hope to bring him home as soon as possible. The Geelong man was a fan of live music and supported local bands in his home town, according to the Sydney Morning Herald.

If the Australian's death was a case of sleepwalking, it would be the second such case this year following the death of a Thai mechanic who fell two stories to his death in a government housing project in Rassada in June.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/detail.asp?id=11171

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-10-10

Tragic Phuket death shocks Geelong family

Mandy Squires

A GEELONG man who fell to his death from a hotel balcony in Thailand on Saturday was "a beautiful bloke", his devastated family said.

Dean McKeon, 33, was in Patong Beach, Phuket, for a friend's birthday when the tragic accident occurred.

"He was staying with mates in a (multi-storey) hotel, where it seems he's gone outside on to the balcony at some stage during the night, and he's gone over," his mother, Rayna, told the Geelong Advertiser through tears yesterday.

His friends were unaware of the fall until police knocked at the door, Mrs McKeon said from the family home in Drysdale.

Mr McKeon's sister, Kerryn Skuza, said it was understood the accident occurred in the early hours of Saturday morning but details surrounding the timing and circumstances of the fall were unclear.

"We think he got up during the night to get some air that's what we're assuming."

Full story: http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2011/10/10/284635_news.html

-- geelongadvertiser.com.au 2011-10-10

footer_n.gif

I don't mean to be insensitive, but I have to wonder what must have led the authorities to assume the man was sleepwalking. That just seems so much less likely than other scenarios, such as suicide, an accidental (drunken?) fall, a case of being pushed, etc.

I also with all due respect to the deceased's family (RIP), feel like he probably got the spins after laying down from a night of partying, went outside to get some air and accidentally stumbled forward and over.

Happened to a female American Servicelady at the old Club Andaman Resort a couple years back.

Again, sincerest condolences to the family, truly tragic.

Phuket Police to send body of fallen tourist to Bangkok

phuket-1-11174ICDWfMHZvRKfBiOVqHlkOuJSYJ.jpg

The late Dean McKeon. Photo courtesy of the Geelong Advertiser.

PHUKET: -- Police will send the body of an Australian tourist to Bangkok for forensic examination in order to rule out any foul play in his fatal fall from a Phuket balcony over the weekend.

Friends of the late Dean McKeon were questioned by Patong Police today about the events leading up to the discovery of his body in the car park at the C&N Hotel in Patong at dawn on Saturday.

The friends told duty officer Jakkrapong Luang-aon today that they got home at about 4am and were "very drunk" at the time.

They suspected their friend was sleepwalking when he fell off the fourth-floor balcony, the railing of which they described as "only knee height", they said.

The apparent cause of death was a broken spine, police said.

Although there was no evidence in the case to suggest foul play, police will send Mr McKeon's body to the Forensic Police headquarters for further examination to assure his family his death was an accident. They could not turn over the body to the friends to repatriate his remains to his native Geelong until the examination is complete, Lt Jakkrapong said.

In Australia, the late Mr McKeon's mother was reportedly in shock over the loss of her son, according to the Geelong Advertiser.

The baby of the family, Dean was "a beautiful bloke", she said.

"He was lovely to everyone, he was a really kind and gentle soul who loved music and was liked by everyone," she said.

Mrs McKeon said her son, lovingly nicknamed "Deanos", was generous to a fault.

"Dean was the most humble, amazing, kind-hearted man and even today we are learning just how valued and appreciated he was by his friends and work colleagues,' Mrs McKeon said.

"Dean was most comfortable and outgoing when with his massive circle of friends, to whom he was exceptionally loyal. He would give his last dollar to those in need," she was quoted as saying.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2011/article11174.html

pglogo.jpg

They suspected their friend was sleepwalking when he fell off the fourth-floor balcony [of C&N Hotel], the railing of which they described as "only knee height", they said.

pglogo.jpg

It's at least waist height.

Edited by tommet

RIP.

I once woke up in the middle of the night and thinking I was in my own home, I opened the door which had light underneath and I was standing butt naked in a Condo corridor, I came to my senses when the GF asked in surprise what was I doing. The bathroom light I always leave on in my own place. I am still embarrassed about the incident.

Such a sad loss of life.

I have stayed there many times; I am 5'8 an it is above waist high. He did not stumble over this balcony

My condolences to the family and I hope they investigate further.

Did the police find all his belongings, credit cards, cash? Was the door locked from the inside or open? Did the police took fingerprints?

happens in a lot of other countries.. its very likely especially with the 3inch high balconies we have here

While I do not disrespect the deceased here, It must be said again that western countries have legislated safety so deeply that their citizens have become a danger to themselves when they are in a place that does not try to legislate stupidity out of every situation.

Yeah its so awful to have 1% of the amount of accident and road death that thailand has. We should burn our governments down and hope to be able to die in stupid accidents everyday just like the thais!

Edited by thaiIand

happens in a lot of other countries.. its very likely especially with the 3inch high balconies we have here

While I do not disrespect the deceased here, It must be said again that western countries have legislated safety so deeply that their citizens have become a danger to themselves when they are in a place that does not try to legislate stupidity out of every situation.

Your argument if I understand it correctly is that people coming from countries where regulations are much tighter regarding safety restrictions are a hazard to themselves, in your statement, even "stupid", when they have an accident in a country where the safety laws are not as strict?

I'm going to disagree. Accidents happen.

Your argument if I understand it correctly is that people coming from countries where regulations are much tighter regarding safety restrictions are a hazard to themselves, in your statement, even "stupid", when they have an accident in a country where the safety laws are not as strict?

I'm going to disagree. Accidents happen.

Agree, accidents happen.

I think Gonsalviz's message was (at least I think that way so hope that was his message): in most western countries we/they are overdoing the protection for the people by trying to prevent every single accident with rules/regulations.

Edited by stevenl