Medicaid Usa

ableguy

Hi guys help needed from USA guys. I have an insurance plan in USA for medical and my $96 a month medicaid contribution is paid to the insurance company, it has worked very well as i have used it to get my medication mailed here ( should add retiree ) however the company is ending the plan come December, I have considered all options and have arrived at the conclusion to come off medicaid and get back on a monthly basis the $96 which will more than cover my needs here. Problem to terminate enrollment medicare part B one needs to fill in the form CMS 1763 which is not avaiable on line, they state it must be done with an interview face to face as this is considered a serious matter, any ideas how to proceed ? has anyone cancelled part B here and if so How.

Hope this can be understood and any help will be appreciated.

Many thanks for your swift response and help, the problem is now solved, kindest regards ableguy

And here: http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1499/~/terminate-enrollment-with-medicare-part-b

"The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) requires, when possible, a personal interview be conducted with everyone who wishes to terminate entitlement. Therefore, we do not offer form CMS-1763 online. We will help you fill out the form in-person or on the phone so we can make sure you understand the consequences of termination."

You might email the embassy to see if they have any info on this.

"Bangkok ACS" <[email protected]>,

Remember, Mr Google is your friend.

Mac

It's beyond me why anyone would want to cancel their medicare or any part of it? If I read the post right you will have no insurance whatsoever and pay for your meds here because they are cheaper ? Anyways, if nobodies told you medicare is actually a good value at $96 a month and to cancel and then get back in will raise your monthly payment depending on how long your out of it. I live here like you and would never cancel it in case of a major illness.

It's beyond me why anyone would want to cancel their medicare or any part of it? If I read the post right you will have no insurance whatsoever and pay for your meds here because they are cheaper ? Anyways, if nobodies told you medicare is actually a good value at $96 a month and to cancel and then get back in will raise your monthly payment depending on how long your out of it. I live here like you and would never cancel it in case of a major illness.

He's looking to cancel MediCAID, not MediCARE, which is FREE.

Mac

Mac

Medicaid is for those under certain income limits and administered by the States, While Medicare is for those on social Secuirty retirement or disability benefits. Part A is free while Part B and D is not.

Mac

Medicaid is for those under certain income limits and administered by the States, While Medicare is for those on social Secuirty retirement or disability benefits. Part A is free while Part B and D is not.

Seems to me that Medicare is for just about everyone, U.S. that is, once you hit 65, I'm on it, the free Part A, and I am NOT on SocSec retirement of disability benefits.

The guy who started this thread is not canceling his Part A, just looking at canceling Part B, which does have some financial considerations if one wants to sign up again.

Mac

---------------------------

:annoyed:

I can explain it easily.

1. You can not use your medicare/medicaid UNLESS you are residing in the U.S. or if you are a U.S. citizen traveling in the U.S. That includes Part B.

2. For that reason it is practically useless to a U.S. citizen retired and living in Thailand.

3. They will deduct $115.65 monthly from your Social Security as your payment for Part B (that's the minimum amount).

4. When you turn 65 they will start deducting that money...unless you fill out the form mentioned previously.

5. And you can NOT get or fill out that form on line.

In addition, even when contacting the Social Security by phone they refused to mail me the form via certified mail from the U.S. to my Thai address (which they have on record as my valid address, and haved used to mail me other Social Security forms).

When I did a quick calculation of how much it would cost me to return to the U.S. just to fill out that

da---ed form I realised I would spend less just to let them to just keep taking the money out of my Social Security pension than to travel there, schedule an interview, and fill out the form.

I will have to return there in May 2012 anyhow for other reasons, and if I can't get it sorted out by that time I will do it then.

It may be possible to do it in the Manilla...that's the nearest Social Security office.

I'm trying to find that out, now.

But as of 1 October 2011 I am paying $115.65 each month for Medicare Part B that I can not use, did NOT sign up for, and DO NOT want.

(Your U.S. government at work)

:angry:

P.S. I would rather use that (approximately) 3600 Baht monthly to help pay my Thai family's expenses. And before you presume, I don't drink or smoke, and at age 65 my Thai bargirl chasing days are now done.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I can explain it easily.

1. You can not use your medicare/medicaid UNLESS you are residing in the U.S. or if you are a U.S. citizen traveling in the U.S. That includes Part B.

2. For that reason it is practically useless to a U.S. citizen retired and living in Thailand.

3. They will deduct $115.65 monthly from your Social Security as your payment for Part B (that's the minimum amount).

4. When you turn 65 they will start deducting that money...unless you fill out the form mentioned previously.

In addition, even when contacting the Social Security by phone they refused to mail me the form via certified mail from the U.S. to my Thai address (which they have on record as my valid address, and haved used to mail me other Social Security forms).

When I did a quick calculation of how much it would cost me to return to the U.S. just to fill out that

da---ed form I realised I would spend less just to let them to just keep taking the money out of my Social Security pension than to travel there, schedule an interview, and fill out the form.

I will have to return there in May 2012 anyhow for other reasons, and if I can't get it sorted out by that time I will do it then.

It may be possible to do it in the Manilla...that's the nearest Social Security office.

But as of 1 October 2011 I am paying $115.65 each month for Medicare Part B that I can not use, did NOT sign up for, and DO NOT want.

P.S. I would rather use that (approximately) 3600 Baht monthly to help pay my Thai family's expenses. And before you presume, I don't drink or smoke, and at age 65 my Thai bargirl chasing days are now done.

I understand your frustration, however, every friend I've had that has cancelled their medicare (medicaid, which I believe is almost free anyways) because they were not living in the US has had serious problems sometimes 3-4 years later when they had a serious Medical emergency. In one case, Cancer, and no way to be treated, in another a heart attack and no money for an operation. You can get back in, however, it cost you quite a bit more and takes a while. I was just saying if you have no other insurance here as medical premiums go it's not that much money. If you have a supplemental policy here it's a different story. I notice your age you stated your age was 65. IN MY OPINION ONLY anyone who cancels any type medical insurance at that age is just asking for trouble. Also, there's NO SENSE GETTING ANGRY at me or anyone else who takes the time to answer a post and gives their opinion, Why would you get angry with someone trying to help you ? I could be watching TV or having a beer with friends instead of trying to help you or give you my opinion ? That's just stupid ! and ..... can lead to a stroke.

Mac

Seems to me that Medicare is for just about everyone, U.S. that is, once you hit 65, I'm on it, the free Part A, and I am NOT on SocSec retirement of disability benefits.

The guy who started this thread is not canceling his Part A, just looking at canceling Part B, which does have some financial considerations if one wants to sign up again.

Mac

You guys are getting your PARTS mixed up ! I think you haven't a clue what he's cancelling. I have an idea because I know what each plan costs. If you get a chance send me the form or tell me how to sign up for the free part ?%$#. I must have mixed that during my 3 visits to Social Security about this same subject. At $115 a month, as he stated, it appears he's cancelling everything. Good By, last post on this thread.

Edited by paulian

Part A Medicare is free for retirees over 65 years old. Part B and beyond is what you pay for. The honest folks from Social Security told me I would be wasting my money on part B if I lived out of the country. I don't pay anything.

Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) is what you pay for.

Part B helps cover medically-necessary services like doctors' services, outpatient care, home health services, and other medical services. Part B also covers some preventive services.

If you have Part B, you pay a Part B premium each month. Most people will pay the standard premium amount. Social Security will contact some people who have to pay more depending on their income. If you don't sign up for Part B when you are first eligible, you may have to pay a late enrollment penalty.

Although there are no benefits if not in the US or one of it's possessions I maintain payments anyway because in my experience medical insurance in Thailand is expensive and undependable. I do carry Thai insurance and it is ok for short hospital visits but anything major and it falls drastically short. And all this for a price much higher than the monthly deduction for part B.

If you do run into anything major a quick hop to Guam and everything is taken care of. Probably short sighted to get rid of it.

Part B helps cover medically-necessary services like doctors' services, outpatient care, home health services, and other medical services. Part B also covers some preventive services.

If you have Part B, you pay a Part B premium each month. Most people will pay the standard premium amount. Social Security will contact some people who have to pay more depending on their income. If you don't sign up for Part B when you are first eligible, you may have to pay a late enrollment penalty.

Although there are no benefits if not in the US or one of it's possessions I maintain payments anyway because in my experience medical insurance in Thailand is expensive and undependable. I do carry Thai insurance and it is ok for short hospital visits but anything major and it falls drastically short. And all this for a price much higher than the monthly deduction for part B.

If you do run into anything major a quick hop to Guam and everything is taken care of. Probably short sighted to get rid of it.

Why Guam, what medical facilities are there?

-O

Why Guam, what medical facilities are there?

-O

A quick trip to Google will tell you. It is a major military base and has excellent healthcare capabilities.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Guam_Memorial_Hospital

http://www.gmha.org/gmha_new/HR_Department.htm

And it is only 3000 miles away. If there is someplace closer with good services please let me know.

It is my understanding that if you decided not to take Medicare at age 65 then at a later date you decide you want to enroll you must do so in January, Feb and March and the coverage will start in July. So their is no quick way to get the coverage back. If you were to develope a serious health problem in say April you would have to wait over a year to get Medicare coverage re=established. Then their is some kind of formula to establish your new payment. I think it's something like for every year you were without coverage it cost 10% more per year. This may not be all that bad. For instance if you were without coverage for say 3 years you would have saved roughly $3600 in Medicare premiums. So even with paying a higher rate for the new coverage you are working off the $3600 saved by not having the coverage for the first three years.

..... a quick hop to Guam an everything is taken care of.

That would work if you could schedule a surgery for a pre-existing condition. My 70 y/o neighbor did exactly that for prostate cancer surgery in Maine which was covered by Medicare. But might be pretty difficult to get to Guam if you have a serious heart attack, stroke or serious accident where you would be unable to travel. I'm 67 and I did not take the part B coverage but I have a BUPA policy here in Thailand. Guess their is no "one size fits all" you just have to decide what works best for you.

I can explain it easily.

Goode post somebody kindly sent me a link for a doem to fill in when over seas to cancel part b, pm me I will send you the link

That would work if you could schedule a surgery for a pre-existing condition. My 70 y/o neighbor did exactly that for prostate cancer surgery in Maine which was covered by Medicare. But might be pretty difficult to get to Guam if you have a serious heart attack, stroke or serious accident where you would be unable to travel. I'm 67 and I did not take the part B coverage but I have a BUPA policy here in Thailand. Guess their is no "one size fits all" you just have to decide what works best for you.

As mentioned, I too carry Thai insurance and for emergencies I am covered. Perhaps you have more trust in Thail insurance than I. Good luck on that.

As for the part b payments a full year of payments equals about one day in a US Hospital. So without this coverage you have pretty much written off western healthcare, unless you are very rich of course.

Many say US insurance is only good for elective medical care. If fact the US Government site advises citizens not to subscribe to part B as it is useless beyond the US; its territories and protectorates. Her's the US Government's own web site advice in this regard:

"Because Medicare benefits are ­available only in the United States, it may not be to your advantage to sign up and pay the premium for medical insurance if you will be out of the United States for a long period of time. But you should be aware that your premium, when you do sign up, will be 10 percent higher for each12-month period you could have been enrolled but were not."

Any American citizen can opt in or opt out through the good assistance of the US Embassy. It is true, however, you will need to do an advisory call to the US in this regard. Easy ... Although it burns me that my Euro friends get full coverage medical coverage overseas, we Americans are left to fend for ourselves.

Having said that, visit the embassy (you'll need an appointment) and do what's best for you.

Good luck....

Edited by thaigold

I can explain it easily.

I understand your frustration, however, every friend I've had that has cancelled their medicare (medicaid, which I believe is almost free anyways) because they were not living in the US has had serious problems sometimes 3-4 years later when they had a serious Medical emergency. In one case, Cancer, and no way to be treated, in another a heart attack and no money for an operation. You can get back in, however, it cost you quite a bit more and takes a while. I was just saying if you have no other insurance here as medical premiums go it's not that much money. If you have a supplemental policy here it's a different story. I notice your age you stated your age was 65. IN MY OPINION ONLY anyone who cancels any type medical insurance at that age is just asking for trouble. Also, there's NO SENSE GETTING ANGRY at me or anyone else who takes the time to answer a post and gives their opinion, Why would you get angry with someone trying to help you ? I could be watching TV or having a beer with friends instead of trying to help you or give you my opinion ? That's just stupid ! and ..... can lead to a stroke.

I used to do a bit of health economics in a previous life.

One of the fundamental flaws of human choice making is that we generally underestimate the amount of medical care we will actually need.

Medical care is basically forced demand. Unlike that new TV, Ipad, or Car which you can defer having until you can afford it, with medical care you have no choice to spend up (big time) even when you can't afford it. Fundamentals of 'free markets' just don't work when it comes to medical care.

My advice, take as much medical care as they'll let you buy. As someone said, 3 years of saved premium's is only $3600, a day in hospital. At your age, you can almost be guaranteed that you'll be spending that on a day at some point. You might as well have the other x amount of days covered as well.

I used to do a bit of health economics in a previous life.

One of the fundamental flaws of human choice making is that we generally underestimate the amount of medical care we will actually need.

Medical care is basically forced demand. Unlike that new TV, Ipad, or Car which you can defer having until you can afford it, with medical care you have no choice to spend up (big time) even when you can't afford it. Fundamentals of 'free markets' just don't work when it comes to medical care.

My advice, take as much medical care as they'll let you buy. As someone said, 3 years of saved premium's is only $3600, a day in hospital. At your age, you can almost be guaranteed that you'll be spending that on a day at some point. You might as well have the other x amount of days covered as well.

Well-informed advice. When I hit 65 in a few years, I plan to sign up and pay for Part B for two reasons: 1) as a backup plan to Thai medical services and 2) so that I retain the option to move back to the US at some point in the future for any reason.

Although it burns me that my Euro friends get full coverage medical coverage overseas, we Americans are left to fend for ourselves.

Then don't retire to Thailand

And believe me, your Euro friends have paid way way more money into their system than Americans have paid into theirs

Although it burns me that my Euro friends get full coverage medical coverage overseas, we Americans are left to fend for ourselves.

And believe me, your Euro friends have paid way way more money into their system than Americans have paid into theirs

If my observations are correct the Brits are the ones who are screwed. The US and the EU are babies.

If my observations are correct the Brits are the ones who are screwed. The US and the EU are babies.

Let me clarify - It is my understanding that if the Brits don't make it back to England every so often they loose their coverage even though they may have worked their whole lives for it.

Us Yanks may not get it while in Thailand but at least the Gov. does not take it away from us.

Edited by BuckarooBanzai

• 1 month later...

Let me clarify - It is my understanding that if the Brits don't make it back to England every so often they loose their coverage even though they may have worked their whole lives for it.

Us Yanks may not get it while in Thailand but at least the Gov. does not take it away from us.

not yet :whistling: