Lost Bank Cards And Need Money!

Hi

I lost my bank cards, and so will need to get them replaced. But I am very low on money and need some before my cards will arrive. I have Internet banking...... Is there anyway I can get cash out?

I was thinking of opening an Thai bank because I will be here awhile and then transfer the money across. Can I do this quickly?

Any advice is much appreciated!!

Thanks

Simon

May be best to open local bank account then send SWIFT transfer from your home bank to local here. Bangkok Bank known for very fast wire transfers; Kaesikorn very good on such and account opening usually no hassle with them. Have your bank send in your home currency, not baht; better rate that way. When opening account here make sure to get the SWIFT transfer instructions.

Edited by keeniau96

May be best to open local bank account then send SWIFT transfer from your home bank to local here. Bangkok Bank known for very fast wire transfers; Kaesikorn very good on such and account opening usually no hassle with them. Have your bank send in your home currency, not baht; better rate that way. When opening account here make sure to get the SWIFT transfer instructions.

Thank you, on the way to the bank now to sort it out.

Thanks again

Simon

I used to western union money to myself when I was traveling, in the states anyway. I could just call my credit union, and give them the information. I have also done that online but not recently. I only did that inside the USA, but I am sure I can send western union outside the states. In fact, if you know the numbers of your cards, you can go to Western Union online and send yourself money. I have sent money overseas to Thailand and the Philippines using Western Union online. Some possibilities. Good luck.

You can get somebody to go to any Western Union office in the UK, US or anywhere and pay the money in. By the time the person sends you an SMS with the reference number it will be available at any W.U. office in Thailand. Costs more than a bank transfer but no waiting if you are in a real bind.

You can get somebody to go to any Western Union office in the UK, US or anywhere and pay the money in. By the time the person sends you an SMS with the reference number it will be available at any W.U. office in Thailand. Costs more than a bank transfer but no waiting if you are in a real bind.

i had to send western union today, and for low amounts ( i only needed to send 100 pounds ) it was cheaper then sending express via the bank ....

i had to send western union today, and for low amounts ( i only needed to send 100 pounds ) it was cheaper then sending express via the bank ....

That's interesting. Plus they operate weekends and weekdays outside bank hours.

That's interesting. Plus they operate weekends and weekdays outside bank hours.

No, it is normal... Wester Union charges fees depending on amount (i.e. here in Switzerland starts from CHF 20 to Thailand (for up to 2'500 Baht) and then goes up (i.e. CHF 40 for 10'000 Baht)... Banks charge per SWIFT transaction independent from amounts sent.

I hope the OP is OK.

Depending on his bank(s) in his home country, it may be IMPOSSIBLE for him to initiate a SWIFT transfer without prior in person authorization of a wiring agreement done in his home country. These policies vary bank to bank.

Opening a Thai bank account was good idea in theory though, but of course you need cash for that.

If the OP has opened a Thai bank account and found a problem with doing a SWIFT himself, then at least he can then ask a friend or relative to wire some money into his bank account.

Probably not relevant to the OP, but for Americans and UKers opening a Bangkok Bank account specifically can be useful. With such an account you can then do online ACH transfers to Bangkok Bank (avoiding SWIFT). Its a bit of a trick as the home country bank sends the money to Bangkok Bank New York or London, not directly to Thailand. I set this up for one of my US bank accounts but it took about 10 days to finalize the process, and they limited me to 2,000 dollars per transfer, but the fee was only 3 dollars (but can send repeat ones). I think this can be set up with most US banks, probably UK ones as well.

Edited by Jingthing