Terminal 21 Asoke

zorro1

Being just down the road from my place I decided to be there at 10am for the opening. Quite funny actually all the punters were lined up but they couldn't get the front doors open so ,in via side door.

In a nutshell its a miniature Paragon.

what farang May like is the gourmet super market and wine cellar downstairs, same foods as paragon but smaller.

6 floors in total with the resteraunts being on the 4th and 5th including a 1st class food court. Apart from the usuall array of japenese food there was also KFC, subway, Tony romas, Piri piri chicken and sunrise tacos , fish cafe and many many more.

cinema on the 6th floor.

place looks great attracting the usual hi-so wanabee window shoppers and air con thieves :rolleyes:

So what you are saying zorro-is give it a miss? All we are missing now is one of these at ploenchit bts so we can go from promphong to siam without going into fast food withdrawl.

I suspect that it will be busy this weekend with the bb ice coffee crowd wandering around. In a year's time the higher floors should resemble mbkish subdivided t-shirt stalls and video games, loud karaoke etc.

"n a year's time the higher floors should resemble mbkish subdivided t-shirt stalls and video games, loud karaoke etc"

James you wont have to wait a year there is already is a section allocated for the t shirts and pirate vids but they were closed.

I do like the food court though with the usuall 30-50 bht dishes. Cinema is handy as well all within a 10 min walk for me.

In a few years do you think all the malls will merge into one 5 km corridor from MBK to Ekkamai Major Cineplex? You can already walk from MBK to Central World almost entirely within malls. Should be a good route when it floods.

It's like that film of the guy in Hollywood who swam home via people's garden swimming pools.

BTW - I hope there's a Starbucks in Terminal 21, we're a bit short of Starbucks in Central Bangkok!

Yay! Another shopping center! Just what Bangkok needs!

Lets build 32453 more oversized shopping centers. We can never have too many of those, can we?

-Joke mode off.-

Why not make more green zones, like parks, public gardens and other recreational places?

Seriously, look at Hong Kong, Tokyo and other asian cities. Sure they have lots of shopping, but they also have LOADS of green zones and gardens, in every part of the cities.

Bangkok has Lumphini park (which sucks), Benjakiti park, and..... and what?

Edited by ricku

All we are missing now is one of these at ploenchit bts so we can go from promphong to siam without going into fast food withdrawl.

A chance would be a fine thing!! I've worked in Ploenchit for years and find it to be the worst place in BKK to find a bite to eat for lunch or even a beer after work.

Yay! Another shopping center! Just what Bangkok needs!

Lets build 32453 more oversized shopping centers. We can never have too many of those, can we?

-Joke mode off.-

Why not make more green zones, like parks, public gardens and other recreational places?

Seriously, look at Hong Kong, Tokyo and other asian cities. Sure they have lots of shopping, but they also have LOADS of green zones and gardens, in every part of the cities.

Bangkok has Lumphini park (which sucks), Benjakiti park, and..... and what?

Great point,

but unfortunately parks do not make money, and actually cost money to maintain. So the officials can't get much bribe off that.

The Thai people use shopping malls as europeans use parks: a place to go for relaxation and passing time.

In a few years do you think all the malls will merge into one 5 km corridor from MBK to Ekkamai Major Cineplex? You can already walk from MBK to Central World almost entirely within malls. Should be a good route when it floods.

It's like that film of the guy in Hollywood who swam home via people's garden swimming pools.

BTW - I hope there's a Starbucks in Terminal 21, we're a bit short of Starbucks in Central Bangkok!

Oh, did they close the Starbucks at Times Square across the street!? That's horrible.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the neighborhood Terminal 21.

You're awesome!

I fully agree with this opinion

Terminal 21 is a new shopping mall located right at

the Asoke BTS stop. You can walk right in from the BTS the

same way you do to Emporium at the Prom Phong BTS stop.

This is the most interesting shopping mall I have ever seen.

I believe it should win many International awards for Architectural Design.

1/ 6 Floors + Mezzanine, Ground and Lower Ground Floors = 9 in all

2/ Floors 4 & 5 are restaurants

3/ Meals are the standard 120 - 300 baht range.

But the food court on 5th floor, every stall has 35 baht dishes/soup

just like on the street.

4/ Unique feature; There is an express escalator right at the entrance that takes you from M to 3 in one shot.

5/ The bathrooms on every floor are different

6/ The visual/views are endlessly interesting; not boring like a standard mall with all the stores lined up along the sides.

7/ Floor numbers are clearly marked with big signs

8/ Movie theater is on floor 6

9/ Shopping grocery store in lower ground; it is expensive

10/ Each floor has a city theme; London, Istanbul, Paris, San Francisco, etc.

11/ Parking in the basement of course

I think this is going to be a big success

One of the managers told me that Paragon already has complained of the low prices for food in the food court

Edited by paulfr

I haven't tried it yet, but was very surprised at the variety and prices at the food court. There are a lot of other food options in the place.

A major bonus for this section of Sukhumvit, which had always had a lack of decent eats compared with other parts of the city.

The wife and I have been there a couple of times since it opened... It seems like a nicely done place inside, and probably has a larger selection of restaurants than either Paragon or Emporium alone...although... most of those eateries present at Terminal 21 are also located in one or another of the major other malls... They're not breaking a lot of new ground there with eating choices.

But like Paragon, it has the advantage of being located right at a main mass transit station..in this case, at the stations both for BTS (Asoke) and MRT (Sukhumvit). Terminal 21 is heavily concentrated on restaurants and clothing/accessory shops. There's really not a lot there in terms of other things like appliances or larger electronics or furniture -- unlike CentralWorld or Paragon to some extent.

As for the cineplex there, I believe it offers 8 screens, so making it about the same size as the Emporium theater, and with fewer offerings that those at CentralWorld and Paragon.

The couple of times we've been there already, even on weeknights, there have been waiting lines for a lot of the restaurants even at non-prime hours, and the customer base seems to have been largely Thai... more than farang...at least for the present, though tourist presence presumably is down right now because of the flooding.

We'll go there again, because it has a nice market in the basement, a lot of restaurant choices and is walking distance from our home... And design-wise, as commented above, it's probably nicer and more interesting than most of the other mega-malls around town.

BTW, in another plus, there is an AEON office on the ground floor of Terminal 21 that includes two AEON ATM machines, the variety that don't charge the 150 baht withdrawal fee on non-Thai ATM cards.

Bad points-same restaurants, poor signage/maps.

What I noticed when I was there, James, was that each floor had lighted, electronic signboards that showed the physical layout of that floor and had each retail space numbered...and then an index below listing the names of outlets by category.

However, what I didn't find, for example, was anything that would say, OK, I want to go to the Fuji Japanese restaurant, and what floor is it located on in the mall?

BTW, there are a couple regular restaurants in there that I didn't recognize from other malls around town, so I'm not sure if they're new or just ones I haven't seen before. But a couple looked interesting to try... a Korean place... and a Thai place that I believe was focused on natural foods.... But haven't had a chance to check any out in person as yet.

But yes, most of the elsewhere familiar names are there... MOS, KFC, Fuji, Ootoya, Kobune, Sunrise Tacos, Starbucks, Swensen's, Secret Recipe, Dunkin Dognuts, Mo-Mo Paradise Buffet, Piri Piri Chicken, Baskin-Robbins, Yum Saap, Cafe Fish, MK, and many many others.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

We have been there a couple of times and quite like the place, my girlfriend particularly likes the range of smaller shops selling locally designed items rather than all the international brands at places like Paragon.

We went there on Saturday evening fairly early, I was surprised how busy it was bearing in mind that not too far away people were really suffering with floods - talk about different worlds.

That place went up dam_n quick. It's like the antithesis of the Sofitel next to the Thermae. That place has taking dam_n near a decade to complete. I remember when they smashed down Clinton Plaza in late 2002 and got started on that hotel in 2003. My god never seen anything take so long to build. Then of course we have the infamous condo-hotel at soi 13 that will be entering year 7 soon. Work must be stopped on that. I havent really checked closely. Since we're talking about the area, I was surprised to see the remnants of a started building that failed around the '97 crash finally torn down and cleaned up. I wonder what will be going there. I'm talking about the concrete remnants that were located on the even side of sukhumvit that you saw for eons cruising up the escalator to Nana bts. the eyesore in front of the Prince Hotel eyesore

That place went up dam_n quick. It's like the antithesis of the Sofitel next to the Thermae. That place has taking dam_n near a decade to complete. I remember when they smashed down Clinton Plaza in late 2002 and got started on that hotel in 2003. My god never seen anything take so long to build. Then of course we have the infamous condo-hotel at soi 13 that will be entering year 7 soon. Work must be stopped on that. I havent really checked closely. Since we're talking about the area, I was surprised to see the remnants of a started building that failed around the '97 crash finally torn down and cleaned up. I wonder what will be going there. I'm talking about the concrete remnants that were located on the even side of sukhumvit that you saw for eons cruising up the escalator to Nana bts. the eyesore in front of the Prince Hotel eyesore

LOL good post , the sofitel could take another 3 years for the internal fit out now :rolleyes:

Your refering to the Regent in soi 13, supposedly 5 star, they are currently building the new showroom which could take a decade in itself but at least there is some movement.

Dont know how T21 got built so quick but shows that it can be done.

Their restaurants are packed out, theres a really nice Italian rest, with a balcony outside but there was a que last time I was there. I think this T21 could become a Hi-So hangout, second of course to the mighty paragon

• 1 month later...

I went there yesterday, and I must say I thought is fairly nice overall. Only disappointment is there didn't appear to be any electronic gadget shops.

Great fashion shopping center, however, a little pricey.

Although I didn't stop to eat, the restaurant selection seemed OK too.

Memock, you're a long way from home! Don't know about media players at 21, but if you take the MRT 2 stops to Praram 9, visit Fortune Town floors 3 and 4 and I am sure you will find what you want.

Loved your extra meat pizza.

planemad (whoever you are!!) thank you for that info. I flew in today and return home tomorrow but will check out fortune town tomorrow before I go, thank you very much for that info.

Just took the wife and 2 nieces to have a proper look around. Much the same as the other shopping malls with all the same sort of shops but it is presented very well! The different city themes are quite good, some are a bit vague but I like the London one, only thing missing is the boarded up shops and smashed windows with a group of youths "relocating" the contents.

The girls loved the loo's, they came out smiling and giggling, said it was all automatic! The mind boggles.

Let's see what it's like in 12 months.

"n a year's time the higher floors should resemble mbkish subdivided t-shirt stalls and video games, loud karaoke etc"

James you wont have to wait a year there is already is a section allocated for the t shirts and pirate vids but they were closed.

I do like the food court though with the usuall 30-50 bht dishes. Cinema is handy as well all within a 10 min walk for me.

Did you notice if they have IMAX cinema there?