Spanish Tapas

lemel

Pattaya is just too unsophisticated to sustain such a place.

It's probably more likely that Pattaya isn't in Spain rather than any lack of sophistication...

That's just silly. :) It seems to sustain quite a few Japanese restaurants. Do that mean that it is in Japan?

It's probably more likely that Pattaya isn't in Spain rather than any lack of sophistication...

That's just silly. :) It seems to sustain quite a few Japanese restaurants. Do that mean that it is in Japan?

It seems to sustain quite a few adequate Japanese restaurants. The same way as it sustains some adequate German, Dutch or English restaurants. But it's pretty much a given that any cuisine that is imported into Thailand and relies mainly on local produce isn't going to come close to Japanese in Osaka, German in Hamburg, Dutch in Rotterdam or English in London.

Which was the point I was making that upset the OP so much; tapas in Thailand is a poor substitute for the real thing in Spain, same same as Mexican restaurants in Thailand don't see too many real lovers of Mexican food dining there. If you crave some foreign food too much in Thailand, maybe you are prepared to compromise too much.

Good luck on the hunt for anything close to 'genuine' in Pattaya and Thailand in general.

It seems to sustain quite a few adequate Japanese restaurants. The same way as it sustains some adequate German, Dutch or English restaurants. But it's pretty much a given that any cuisine that is imported into Thailand and relies mainly on local produce isn't going to come close to Japanese in Osaka, German in Hamburg, Dutch in Rotterdam or English in London.

Which was the point I was making that upset the OP so much; tapas in Thailand is a poor substitute for the real thing in Spain, same same as Mexican restaurants in Thailand don't see too many real lovers of Mexican food dining there. If you crave some foreign food too much in Thailand, maybe you are prepared to compromise too much.

Good luck on the hunt for anything close to 'genuine' in Pattaya and Thailand in general.

The ANEGO off Soi 5 is not bad. Not a patch on it's sister in Sri Racha, but better than the generics. Of course I disagree with you. I've had some very good 'International' meals in Thailand. Italian being a case in point.

As to Mexican restaurants...what is that? I doubt if anyone here has actually been to a Mexican restaurant. Just some US bastardisation of their food....Tex-Mex.

Mexican Cuisine

Anyway, let us not digress. Being in Thailand is no impediment to creating tasty international cuisine. There are few things for which I am left wanting.

The ANEGO off Soi 5 is not bad. Not a patch on it's sister in Sri Racha, but better than the generics. Of course I disagree with you. I've had some very good 'International' meals in Thailand. Italian being a case in point.

As to Mexican restaurants...what is that? I doubt if anyone here has actually been to a Mexican restaurant. Just some US bastardisation of their food....Tex-Mex.

Mexican Cuisine

Anyway, let us not digress. Being in Thailand is no impediment to creating tasty international cuisine. There are few things for which I am left wanting.

I will give Anego a shot, thanks for the recommendation. I would assume that the Sri Racha outlet would have a bigger Jap diaspora to feed so would be more authentic. In Pattaya, generics are all you need to feed the average punter.

Italian? The most exported and bastardised of them all? Even I can run up sumptuous Italian grub but that's because anything that needs to be imported to impart authentic taste is readily available and cheap. Even locally made pasta can't be f*cked up by the Thai's with their passion to sweeten everything.

Did I say Tex-Mex anywhere? Maybe you are confused like the OP.

As to Mexican restaurants...what is that? I doubt if anyone here has actually been to a Mexican restaurant.

You doubt wrong.

Real Mexican food is without a doubt very distinctive and a significant culinary treasure. So are California style burritos when done right. And New Mexico style Mex is nothing to sneeze it. I am not a big fan of Tex Mex but I don't doubt there are great examples of it and I don't see any point on looking down on people who enjoy it.

BTW, excellent examples of "real" Mexican food, as listed below based on your link, are available in scores of USA cities particularly ones with lots of Mexican people, as well as Mexico.

You can sample the delicious cabrito of Monterry

CHECK

the thick tlayudas of Oaxaca,

CHECK

the carnitas of Michoacán,

CHECK

the spicy mole sauce of Puebla,

CHECK

or the pozole

CHECK

and caldo tlalpeño stews

CHECK

found all over the country, always accompanied by salsas

CHECK

and fresh tortillas.

CHECK

Varieties of tamales

CHECK

and other foods – as well as drinks – made from corn,

CHECK

await you. A great range of drinks are available to wash it all down: a good tequila

CHECK

or mezcal,

CHECK

coffee,

CHECK

chocolate

CHECK

or fresh juices made from sweet and tropical fruit.

CHECK

Edited by Jingthing

Is this another mexican topic or spanish tapas?

Getting hungry ;)

Well James, it was supposed to be Spanish Tapas but its the usual scenario, other people have there own agenda and turn it into their own petty argument or look at me, look at me, I'm so Knowledgeable post!!! I give up asking anymore, like them its pointless.

Is this another mexican topic or spanish tapas?

Getting hungry ;)

Well James, it was supposed to be Spanish Tapas but its the usual scenario, other people have there own agenda and turn it into their own petty argument or look at me, look at me, I'm so Knowledgeable post!!! I give up asking anymore, like them its pointless.

this thread hasn't been pointless though....now I know the place on 11 has another branch. wink.gif

Mexican Cuisine

I will give Anego a shot, thanks for the recommendation. I would assume that the Sri Racha outlet would have a bigger Jap diaspora to feed so would be more authentic. In Pattaya, generics are all you need to feed the average punter.

Italian? The most exported and bastardised of them all? Even I can run up sumptuous Italian grub but that's because anything that needs to be imported to impart authentic taste is readily available and cheap. Even locally made pasta can't be f*cked up by the Thai's with their passion to sweeten everything.

Did I say Tex-Mex anywhere? Maybe you are confused like the OP.

Try the Sri Racha outlet first if you can. Once you've had Nigiri Sushi there, you will feel cheated at the generics. Don't go before 5.30pm. From then on you with see a steady stream of the Japanese ex-pat heading upstairs.

After that you can go to the Pattaya branch when you can't get to Sri Racha.

As to Mexican restaurants...what is that? I doubt if anyone here has actually been to a Mexican restaurant.

You doubt wrong.

Real Mexican food is without a doubt very distinctive and a significant culinary treasure. So are California style burritos when done right. And New Mexico style Mex is nothing to sneeze it. I am not a big fan of Tex Mex but I don't doubt there are great examples of it and I don't see any point on looking down on people who enjoy it.

BTW, excellent examples of "real" Mexican food, as listed below based on your link, are available in scores of USA cities particularly ones with lots of Mexican people, as well as Mexico.

You can sample the delicious cabrito of Monterry

CHECK

the thick tlayudas of Oaxaca,

CHECK

the carnitas of Michoacán,

CHECK

the spicy mole sauce of Puebla,

CHECK

or the pozole

CHECK

and caldo tlalpeño stews

CHECK

found all over the country, always accompanied by salsas

CHECK

and fresh tortillas.

CHECK

Varieties of tamales

CHECK

and other foods – as well as drinks – made from corn,

CHECK

await you. A great range of drinks are available to wash it all down: a good tequila

CHECK

or mezcal,

CHECK

coffee,

CHECK

chocolate

CHECK

or fresh juices made from sweet and tropical fruit.

CHECK

¡Buen apetito!

Just bought 10 quids worth of Tesco's tapas and did them in the oven here at home in Scotland.

Awesome!

Beats anything I have had at Sukhumvit Soi 4

Thanks lemel for lifting the scales from my eyes!

Edited by NanLaew

Manuel_Waiter.jpg

it just wouldn't taste right unless this chap served it up

Just bought 10 quids worth of Tesco's tapas and did them in the oven here at home in Scotland.

Awesome!

Beats anything I have had at Sukhumvit Soi 4

Thanks lemel for lifting the scales from my eyes!