Carlsberg Now Selling Bottled Beer In Thailand

webfact

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most beermakers in Thailand uses rice instead of barley to ferment and make the beer. Whatabout this one?Tiger

Yeah.

If you once tried a Czech or German beer every other beer tastes bad.

Carlsberg is not even a "decent" beer for me.

And if you have grown up with German beer you really don't want to drink Thai beer.

Labeling it as Carlsberg, Heineken oder Federbraeu does not help, it still tastes like Chang Beer.

I have a question. Does anyone know for sure any brewers who use rice 100% for brewing instead of Barley? I am coeliac (Gluten allergy) and would love a beer. As Barley contains gluten I can not drink beer. Sorry :offtopic: I know.

jb1

You can drink Corona, it's brewed on Corn in place of Barley = No Gluten.

I have a question. Does anyone know for sure any brewers who use rice 100% for brewing instead of Barley? I am coeliac (Gluten allergy) and would love a beer. As Barley contains gluten I can not drink beer. Sorry :offtopic: I know.

jb1

You can drink Corona, it's brewed on Corn in place of Barley = No Gluten.

Correction:

You can drink Corona, it's brewed on Corn and Barley Malt, However the Gluten content is extremely low.

My wife is a Coeliac, and she has never had any problems drinking it.

The increased activity in Thailand, the world´s 10th biggest beer market

10th biggest now?

Glad they're coming back. Hope they'll be at 7-11

Oh yeah Thailand the Beer hub in the World, hmm only number 10 this year, but prognosis by TAT show they will overtake the others after new year

Just curious......why do you like Carlsburg?? Just wonder..... Maybe a better thing to do is to support a local brewery that makes small amounts of good craft beer...like India Pale Ale or good Pilsner?? Maybe you just like junk beer....hmmmmm

Each to their own. Personally find Carslberg good for an all-nighter; nothing special, but no abject taste, hangovers not a problem and it is (was, will be) widely available. Why would one want to go to the hassle of supporting a local brewery when i, they already enjoy the stuff they're drinking, ii, not available in bars, iii, probably tastes 'junk'? The object is to drink and be merry, to get hold of the better of a bad batch; people aren't out to save the freakin manatees. ;)

If you once tried a Czech or German beer every other beer tastes bad.

Carlsberg is not even a "decent" beer for me.

... and if you have a pint of real English ale it puts them all to shame, but we're talking LAGER here.

Wish there will also be bottled Guiness Stout selling in Thailand.

They have Royal Stout in Malaysia. Pretty potent stuff, be great to see it here.

Most beermakers in Thailand uses rice instead of barley to ferment and make the beer. Whatabout this one?Tiger

But that isn't a problem, you can make nice beer adding some % of rice to the malt.

It can be done to make a light colored pils type beer.

The problem is, they work dirty, substandard without knowledge and use too much rice which they ferment with enzymes. Well and don't let it age properly.

It is not 1 problem they have it is a 100 different problems.

Hey who cares if it's made of rice or what ever. if it's beer pass it over here.:burp:

Well said that man. I enjoy the odd Leo or three and don't really care what's made of. But I do miss British bitters. When all is said and done there's not much to choose between any lager beer. Now if Boddingtons or Timothy Taylor or Breakspear had announced they were setting up shop here then I'd get excited!

Well said that man. I enjoy the odd Leo or three and don't really care what's made of. But I do miss British bitters. When all is said and done there's not much to choose between any lager beer. Now if Boddingtons or Timothy Taylor or Breakspear had announced they were setting up shop here then I'd get excited!

Hobs has Boddingtons.

Witch's has London Pride.

Bulls head has John Smith but I think the pub has closed down. :(

It's funny. The press release talks as if Thailand is a new market for Carlsberg without mentioning that they were forced out of the market by their former jv partner in classic Thai-Chinese style. There is also no mention of staring a new brewery here with another Thai jv partner, as required by the anachronistic Foreign Business Act. Maybe they will be sensible and wait till 2015 when they will be able to own 70% by using a subsidiary in an ASEAN country under the AEC agreement.

I was waiting for someone to recall their unfortunate history in Thailand.

Good that they're back which means then there will be two decent mass market beers in Thailand - both imported

Just curious......why do you like Carlsburg?? Just wonder..... Maybe a better thing to do is to support a local brewery that makes small amounts of good craft beer...like India Pale Ale or good Pilsner?? Maybe you just like junk beer....hmmmmm

Aren't exactly a whole lot of local microbreweries around to support. Tawandaeng is good but they don't sell it in stores. If they sold local microbrews at a store I'd buy it, but they don't. Be nice to have Carlsberg as an option now

Carlsberg draught has been available in most English/Irish pubs in Bangkok for the last 6 to 7 months if I am not mistaken. Bottled Carlsberg already for 2 - 3 months.

Asahi is Japanese, not Chinese

Can you kindly direct me to where i can buy the bottles? I am looking to by a case or two.

I shalln't be drinking it. Why can't Beer Lao or Anchor Brewery (Cambodia) get distributing if we are to have a more liberal import regime on foreign beers. At least their beers don't taste incipid :rolleyes:

[CAMRA rocks]

Best Thai made beer is made by the German microbrewery in CM.

And I'm off to there in 5 minutes time and couldn't agree more.

All other Thai made beer is crap.

You taking about behind Big C? Nice place and I'm not German. Will sink a couple there on Saturday.

@ marinediscoking;

Dont know about wholesale or supermarkets. Just had a draft Carlsberg at Robin Hood Pub (suk soi 33/1) few weeks ago and I know other pubs do bottles. pint of draft about 200 baht and a bottle for 130. The new Royal Oak (formerly Bulls Head) has got it on tap as well.

Can you please add some details here. Name of the beer...available in supermarkets? or only at location of brewery? if the latter, please forward directions for getting there.

Thanks.

Can you please add some details here. Name of the beer...available in supermarkets? or only at location of brewery? if the latter, please forward directions for getting there.

Thanks.

It's a Thai-German restaurant that brews beer on premises, primarily for sale in the restaurant. They don't bottle it but they do send kegs of their Dunkel Lager to a couple of English/Irish pubs in Chiang Mai who relabel it as a Microbrewed English Dark Ale. Their prices for their beer are low compared to microbrewries in the West but no one is going to mistake their beer for Rogue's or Three Floyds' either.

Edited by OriginalPoster

All you guys complaining about rice and chemicals:

Wikipedia:

" Phuket Beer and Federbrau are the only Thai beers brewed according to the German purification laws or Reinheitsgebot;"

Phuket is probably the best beer in Thailand, but it's expensive and fairly hard to get hold of.

Federbrau (made by Chang) is cheaper than Heineken and sometimes even Singha, tastes a lot better and is available in many places

About 32 baht for a small can or bottle in TOPS, Big C Extra etc.

Big ones only in Family Mart (54baht) or 7-Eleven (65 baht).

But then again I drink Archa which they managed to push up from 30 baht a bottle to 39 baht in convenience stores mad.gif.

What Phuket beer, Federbrau, Heinekin, and Carlsbad have in common is green bottles and a frequently skunky taste that comes from the beer being spoiled by being light-struck . It's that skunky taste that many people think is the hallmark of "good" beers. Put Leo in a green bottles and it would be just as excellent as Carlsberg.

wait.... what???

You'll notice that Heinekin tastes a lot different from a keg or from cans than from bottles. The green bottles giving the beer insufficient protection from light is the reason why. The green bottles are evidently good for marketing though.

"A LOT different" ? No

a different taste off draught, canned and bottled yes. there is, slightly between canned and bottled.. noticeably in draught

you'll also notice that a can of coke tastes different than a bottle does, tho iirc coke bottles are not green :)

and i'm sure if they had coke on draught it would probably taste different too, or maybe in a plastic bag ;) ... but heineken tasting a 'LOT' different based on what it's stored in, sorry i don't agree

Thanks.

It's a Thai-German restaurant that brews beer on premises, primarily for sale in the restaurant. They don't bottle it but they do send kegs of their Dunkel Lager to a couple of English/Irish pubs in Chiang Mai who relabel it as a Microbrewed English Dark Ale. Their prices for their beer are low compared to microbrewries in the West but no one is going to mistake their beer for Rogue's or Three Floyds' either.

Ok, thanks, but where IS the Thai-German restaurant located?

Thanks.

Ok, thanks, but where IS the Thai-German restaurant located?

It's just off Superhighway Road behind the Big C. It's exact location is at the tip of the green arrow in this Google Map: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=N18+47.849+E99+01.547&hl=en&sll=18.79249,99.005572&sspn=0.010848,0.01929&vpsrc=0&t=m&z=16

The place is worth a try if you enjoy sampling different styles of beer.

Federbrau is a decent Thai attempt to create a kind of blonde beer the Belgians excel in and the Germans do OK. But anyone remember that Singapore Black Beer we had a few years ago until it disappeared from supermarket shelves overnight?

Edited by bigbamboo

Federbrau is a decent Thai attempt to create a kind of blonde beer the Belgians excel in and the Germans do OK. But anyone remember that Singapore Black Beer we had a few years ago until it disappeared from supermarket shelves overnight?

I remember that there was dark guiness for sale in 75 cl bottles at the same price of Singha about 13-14 years ago.