Evacuation, Flood Warning For Part Of Bangkok Outskirts

george

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two extra word's of advice....that aren't on the US Embassy list...

If you have time and are expecting to be affected by the floods and expect to be walking around in something questionable, go get a cholera shot; and always keep your cellphones fully charged and if possible, have a spare.

Note to the US Embassy...a cellphone and charger is useless if there's no power and even if there is, you shouldn't be plugging things into electrical outlets if you're surrounded by water. :blink:

Cannot get cholera from walking in contaminated water. I would be more worried about tetanus and leptospirosis.

sanuk

Yes you're spot on with Tetanus - I hadn't thought of that. The other, honestly I haven't heard of. But cholera is a danger in flood environments. There were outbreaks in Pakistan last year and the UN treated some 36,000 people that showed symptoms.

Good article here from WHO about diseases in floods. http://www.who.int/hac/techguidance/ems/flood_cds/en/

Seems leptospirosis stems from rat pee and requires no ingestion - just contact with the skin or mucous membranes in flood conditions. There were incidents in Thailand in 2000 according to that WHO article. There is no vaccine as I understand it.

Stay well everyone!

TiT...

Obviously, the government doesn't know what's going to happen at all.

There's lots of water in lots of places. A lot of it has to come through Bangkok.

I live out in Krungthep Krita area. I have sandbagged around my house and with the elevation of our village, I should be good to about 100cm to 150cm. Above that, it's just going to come into the house and there will be a lot of damage, which I imagine wont be repaired for a long time.

I'm just going to err on the safe side. Worse case scenario that I am considering is 2-3 metres of water that we have seen upcountry. This may sound ridiculous but I don't trust anything that's coming out of the media right now.

Good luck all....

Pedro

I live on Krungthep Kreetha also. Apart from minor flooding on the main soi (same as every year) the sub sois are generally dry so far

I live on Krungthep Kreetha Yaek 7 but am working in Seoul presently so don't have a clue what is happening there,

Please would you update this post or PM me if KK starts to sink.

Thanks

Paul

The front page of the BP has an article about Science and Technology Minister Plodprasop. He apparently walked out of a meeting last night and issued the evacuation order for the Pathum Thani - Rangsit - Don Muang area that started this thread.

Well, he wasn't supposed to issue the order, the flooding wasn't that bad and both the PM and the Gov. or Bangkok are quite annoyed with him!

The front page of the BP has an article about Science and Technology Minister Plodprasop. He apparently walked out of a meeting last night and issued the evacuation order for the Pathum Thani - Rangsit - Don Muang area that started this thread.

Well, he wasn't supposed to issue the order, the flooding wasn't that bad and both the PM and the Gov. or Bangkok are quite annoyed with him!

How right you are! People including the locals, police and workers in the Muang Ake and surrounding areas want this guy lynched! There are some really pi$$ed people right now and rightfully so.

TiT...

Obviously, the government doesn't know what's going to happen at all.

There's lots of water in lots of places. A lot of it has to come through Bangkok.

I live out in Krungthep Krita area. I have sandbagged around my house and with the elevation of our village, I should be good to about 100cm to 150cm. Above that, it's just going to come into the house and there will be a lot of damage, which I imagine wont be repaired for a long time.

I'm just going to err on the safe side. Worse case scenario that I am considering is 2-3 metres of water that we have seen upcountry. This may sound ridiculous but I don't trust anything that's coming out of the media right now.

Good luck all....

Pedro

I live on Krungthep Kreetha also. Apart from minor flooding on the main soi (same as every year) the sub sois are generally dry so far

I live on Krungthep Kreetha Yaek 7 but am working in Seoul presently so don't have a clue what is happening there,

Please would you update this post or PM me if KK starts to sink.

Thanks

Paul

I am on soi 7 also. This morning KK was drier than I have seen it in 2 weeks

So no news must means good news then ?

Any news ?

Any news of flooding in navanakorn ind estate ?

First post.

Live near Dreamworld (about 2 kilometres south). That map above has me confused. Ayutthaya is to the north and slightly east of Pathum Thani.

On other maps (inc Google) it's to the north west. We have been told that we should be OK but to take precautions. So many different stories on TV, via loudspeaker etc it's mental! Not a worrier but this is keeping me awake.

Edited by sjjmmi

It occurred to me last night in our ongoing frustration to locate sand bags for back up that, as I've posted several times now, there is a military base not far from where I live in Don Muang.

This base is on a 6 lane stretch of Srong Bra Pa Rd and not traveled to extreme in that location, with a completely unobstructed, wide, side walk in front of it that is about 2k's long with little bottle necking there traffic wise and plenty of open space with no street vendors.

Now, I mentioned their lack of urgency on anything so far regarding the base and in fact actually painting their gates the other day and last night in our frustrated search we came upon a location a bit from us and seemingly the only one that even the military was pilfering sand bags from and it dawned on me the complete lack of common sense approach and best application of resources being overlooked here so I hope someone important reads this or word can be spread somehow.

This base is a prime location to be distribution in all directions with even quick access to 2 main elevated highways, it is on high ground, good access and with wide roads. There is plenty of storage outside and no need to be ferrying many strapping young military men back and forth to outside locations as they're already there. It's just south of Nonthaburi province and much closer up Srong Bra Pa Rd. to Tiwanon then the location they are picking up the sand bags from across town where my missus was told they're getting them now..

They should be coordinating constant sand drop offs there and having it put into sand bags and stocked out front on the sidewalks for the military and the locals to bag their houses with and to transport to the locales they are required.

It would serve very well for this purpose and could in theory operate around the around the clock with shifts and being the solders live right there. Logistically it is perfectly located and a perfect distribution point.

They also have a very wide road behind the base that is not heavily traveled and this could be done on both sides with good effect..

If someone has any sources in authority and can possibly pass this on, if adopted it's a worth while solution I hope they can see the value in.

I live in Bang Bua Thong in Nonthaburi province, the hospital is under 5 foot of water for three or four days now and many roads are getting progressively worse for travel. 345 going to Pathum Thani and Kanchanapisek road ( highway 9) . Many small roads are impassable.Five foot of water behind my kitchen. Got sandbags at the front but no water as yet. Village seems protected with sandbags and gravel banks. We had an emergency warning a few days ago but nothing happened and my wife just called me an hour ago to say that they had another one. Don't know what will happen, In Ratchada right now, hope I can get home.

I live in Bang Bua Thong in Nonthaburi province, the hospital is under 5 foot of water for three or four days now and many roads are getting progressively worse for travel. 345 going to Pathum Thani and Kanchanapisek road ( highway 9) . Many small roads are impassable.Five foot of water behind my kitchen. Got sandbags at the front but no water as yet. Village seems protected with sandbags and gravel banks. We had an emergency warning a few days ago but nothing happened and my wife just called me an hour ago to say that they had another one. Don't know what will happen, In Ratchada right now, hope I can get home.

I was wondering if i would hear from you. Good luck, here where i am still no problems. Village is sand bagged, pumps at the ready. Only some water on the higway 9 near our village. But who knows what is going to happen if more water comes we might have problems here too. But so far i think we could survive an feet of 5 of water before the village is flooded.

Any chance of starting a single thread where folks from around the country can give up to date reports on where they live? Cheers.

Up until 6 years ago, Chiang Rai (northernmost Thailand) had 1 foot of floodwater each year downtown. Since they rebuilt storm sewers, no problems - though it took them a few tries to get it right. I think it was when they started designing using plumb levels, that they got the sewers to drain as planned.

I'd like to see a chart of rainfall levels for the past 20 years or so. I bet this year has not been exceptionally rainy. The current flood problems in the middle regions of Thailand stem from various reasons, not least because of irresponsible construction - which destroys habitat - forests and fields which would ordinarily hold water.

Pop Quiz: which activity moves the most earth each year?

A. volcanic activity

B. landslides

C. ocean and tidal actions

D. rain and weather

E. earth moving machines

Answer: E

source: Discover Magazine

Trust me! It's been exceedingly wet....

Any chance of starting a single thread where folks from around the country can give up to date reports on where they live? Cheers.

Well we are in Chiang Mai where the weather has been warm and sunny for several days now. Irony of ironies, our water supply has been cut and we don't have any water in our village, except for our swimming pool. I don't suppose that helps! Wishing the best of luck to those who are suffering right now.

Edited by bigbamboo

Well we are in Chiang Mai where the weather has been warm and sunny for several days now. Irony of ironies, our water supply has been cut and we don't have any water in our village, except for our swimming pool. I don't suppose that helps! Wishing the best of luck to those who those who are suffering right now.

One good reason to have a swimming pool, a very good source of fresh, clean, filtered water if you've maintained the chemistry properly, but still can't be worse then having no water by any means or untreated water. Protect it and don't take it for granted just boil what you need for drinking and it'll be like spring water..

BTW still high and dry here in Don Muang and even the drains are empty in spite of moderate rain last night that lasted until early this morning.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Stopped raining here in Mae-on and suns out again so will start to get the pool filled up.

We get our water from a dam at the back of our mountains so never a problem but just in case the pool will be enough for my cups of tea over the next week or two.

Wonder if we have any biscuits left? :)

This is getting fairly close to where I live.

Please let me know when it's OK to panic.

Now!

Wasn't it Michael Fish, who when reading the weather report, mentioned possible storms that would indeed mount to nothing. The next day brought havoc to the Uk in the 90s.

With that in mind I would suggest that you PANIC.

jb1

The National Flood Relief Centre said water up to one metre high (3.3 feet) was expected in the areas of Rangsit, Saimai, Lamlukka and Klongluang. Inner Bangkok was not affected by the advisory.

"In the worst case scenario the water will not exceed one metre high, so do not panic," science minister Plodprasop Suraswadi, who is in charge of flood relief operations in the area, said on national television.

so is 1 mtre expected, or worst case scenario? , very conflicting!, nd if i knew there was going to be 1 mtre of water, i would panic , as it would damage my house and endanger lives !

also, if one floddgate is breched, how many more will brech?

with such conflicting reports from different agencies who appear not to be speaking with each other, i would prepare for the worst, better safe then sorry

We just went through 2 metre flood in Chiang Mai, lost almost everything despite taking all reasonable precautions. Just rented a house that has not been flooded in living memory. it was unbelievably traumatic.

Geez, that's rough, man... we are also in Chiang Mai but unaffected by the floods (so far) we have some spare rooms if you need?

How right you are! People including the locals, police and workers in the Muang Ake and surrounding areas want this guy lynched! There are some really pi$$ed people right now and rightfully so.

Absolutely. We were being told run by some people, and the guys who were actually holding back the floods kept telling us "but nothing is wrong!" So everyone sits around looking stupid and not knowing what to do. That can be deadly. If those walls go, we've only got about 2 hours to evacuate before the place becomes so flooded we won't be able to move. There is no time for confusion.

What an ass! Hope he gets his head kicked in for doing that. He has no idea of the emotional trauma he caused to a bunch of people.

I can post but not links! New account I believe.

Don't worry in BKK. We'll do that for you 30 miles north! No probs yet despite the info on the rain map saying we were flooded yesterdayrolleyes.gif

it is a political decision......

Like Hitler in his bunker....

I'm nearby Wat Lad Phrao, less than .5 km from Klong Lad Phrao.

The soi here is flooded higher than I've seen in my 12 years living here. Halfway to my knee. All sorts of crap floating down it. Torrential rain stopped more than 1 hour ago, but waters have been rising slowly over that period. Seems to have stabilised now.

Plenty of folks further down the soi will have their living space very wet right now.

I had gotten word from a few people on Klong 2, Rangsit Nakhon Nayok, that flooding has started. From what I am able to understand (I'm not fluent in Thai), it is moving slow and about 1.9 meters. Another gave me this link:

http://www.rangsit.org/index.php

http://www.rangsit.o...show_report.php

According to my Thai friend this is regarding Klongs 1-6 in Rangsit and if the levels reach 2.9 meters, they will ask everyone to move to the second floor of their home.

The chart at the bottom shows the date, next of course is the time, and the orange is showing the highest water level at that time. The last column is showing Saphan Daeng Klong or Klong 1.

Hope this helps

A quote a few moments ago from a lady in Klong 2:

"However, at this point of time ... 20.00 pm, 2.75 mtr water height at water gate, make sure that you have packed your things and moved to higher level. If your place is really under the road surface, you shall plan to evacuate."

Not trying to create rumors or anything of the sort, but staying informed the best I can and sharing it.

Edited by frodo

I had gotten word from a few people on Klong 2, Rangsit Nakhon Nayok, that flooding has started. From what I am able to understand (I'm not fluent in Thai), it is moving slow and about 1.9 meters. Another gave me this link:

http://www.rangsit.org/index.php

http://www.rangsit.o...show_report.php

According to my Thai friend this is regarding Klongs 1-6 in Rangsit and if the levels reach 2.9 meters, they will ask everyone to move to the second floor of their home.

The chart at the bottom shows the date, next of course is the time, and the orange is showing the highest water level at that time. The last column is showing Saphan Daeng Klong or Klong 1.

Hope this helps

A quote a few moments ago from a lady in Klong 2:

"However, at this point of time ... 20.00 pm, 2.75 mtr water height at water gate, make sure that you have packed your things and moved to higher level. If your place is really under the road surface, you shall plan to evacuate."

Not trying to create rumors or anything of the sort, but staying informed the best I can and sharing it.

Thanks and good info.

It's what Tv should be about instead of the the inane character assassinations that prevail.

Wish you luck and dry feet.

I was wondering if i would hear from you. Good luck, here where i am still no problems. Village is sand bagged, pumps at the ready. Only some water on the higway 9 near our village. But who knows what is going to happen if more water comes we might have problems here too. But so far i think we could survive an feet of 5 of water before the village is flooded.

all the best, it is getting worse. The water must be a metre above the road in Bang Bua Thong now. Just hope the barriers hold.

all the best, it is getting worse. The water must be a metre above the road in Bang Bua Thong now. Just hope the barriers hold.

Water is rising here too, getting worried more and more. Wish there were some accurate updates about water flow on the river. If its more or less then before. So we know whats heading down here. Everyone is bickering here about politics i just bicker that information like that is not available.

Great morning I had! After being told that our mooban should be ok my wife came into the bedroom this morning whilst I was sleeping. I woke up and could hear loudspeakers. I asked 'what are they saying'. She said 'The water is coming. They are saying about 1.5 metres'. I asked 'When?'..she casually replied 'Now'.

Jumped out of bed and ran downstairs to move everything upstairs in a semi panic. Being Thai my wife casually went for ashower and asked me what I was worrying about. 'Drowning' I bellowed...'and what the <deleted> are you doing in the shower at this time'?

Nothing yet (hours later) but the roads outside the mooban are about 40cm deep. Hope the walls hold (that they've built on the entrance) or we could be knee deep downstairs.

BTW, I'm about 2km south of Dreamworld in the Pathum Thani/Thanyaburi area.

The effort by the locals has been brilliant, almost touching. However, the constant change in info is very frustrating and causes nothing but panic. I don't scare easily this morning but I almost shat myself after that warning.